ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#921 » by reub » Sun Apr 9, 2017 10:31 pm

Although Gsellman gave up some runs yesterday he struck out 7 while only walking 2 in 5 innings. Terry Collins loves him. Gsellman said after the game that his sinker was moving from left to right instead of downward and he corrected it during the game.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#922 » by Mecca » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:It's the one thing I hated about this team last year and it appears to be the case again this year, we rely way to much on the long ball. The speed isn't there, we can't get on base and we simply can't hit at the moment. Wheeler dazzled in that first inning, hitting 97 and should some nasty stuff. He's going to be OK, this is a year for him to get in shape and he will probably dominate next year. Gsellman had some control issues, but I'm not to worried about him. Fourth youngest starter in baseball this year, easily overlooked by most.

Still really hoping we go after a Hosmer/Abreu for first base, this team is going to need an injection at some point.

You don't need to buy anymore. What you need to do is get Conforto consistent AB's and get Rosario in the majors by the summer. If anything, you should sell Duda or Bruce.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#923 » by reub » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Mecca wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:It's the one thing I hated about this team last year and it appears to be the case again this year, we rely way to much on the long ball. The speed isn't there, we can't get on base and we simply can't hit at the moment. Wheeler dazzled in that first inning, hitting 97 and should some nasty stuff. He's going to be OK, this is a year for him to get in shape and he will probably dominate next year. Gsellman had some control issues, but I'm not to worried about him. Fourth youngest starter in baseball this year, easily overlooked by most.

Still really hoping we go after a Hosmer/Abreu for first base, this team is going to need an injection at some point.

You don't need to buy anymore. What you need to do is get Conforto consistent AB's and get Rosario in the majors by the summer. If anything, you should sell Duda or Bruce.

Conforto definitely needs to play as much as everyone else. Its a long, long season and so I think he will. That home run he hit last night was a thing of beauty.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,949

Post#924 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:13 am

Mecca wrote:You don't need to buy anymore. What you need to do is get Conforto consistent AB's and get Rosario in the majors by the summer. If anything, you should sell Duda or Bruce.

The Mets will definitely need to buy this year, it doesn't have to be something major but a guy like Prado would do wonders. The Uribe/Johnson trades were crucial for us, that's the type of move we will have to make eventually. I'm all for patience, you don't have to trade the Rosarios/Smith's/Confortos of the world, but at some point we're desperately going to need a lead off man. You just gotta pray that Reyes remembers which direction first base is so maybe he can get there at some point.

Cecchini or Reynolds and a minor league arm and go and secure me someone that can be a leader and jack of all trades for us.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#925 » by reub » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:54 am

Jay Bruce is on fire. Screw all the teams who passed on him this offseason.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#926 » by Mecca » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
Mecca wrote:You don't need to buy anymore. What you need to do is get Conforto consistent AB's and get Rosario in the majors by the summer. If anything, you should sell Duda or Bruce.

The Mets will definitely need to buy this year, it doesn't have to be something major but a guy like Prado would do wonders. The Uribe/Johnson trades were crucial for us, that's the type of move we will have to make eventually. I'm all for patience, you don't have to trade the Rosarios/Smith's/Confortos of the world, but at some point we're desperately going to need a lead off man. You just gotta pray that Reyes remembers which direction first base is so maybe he can get there at some point.

Cecchini or Reynolds and a minor league arm and go and secure me someone that can be a leader and jack of all trades for us.

I think Reyes will get his act together in the near future. Reyes is too good of a player to fry out this early. If Rosario comes up, do you really need to buy? Wait for an injury to happen first.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#927 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:41 am

Mecca wrote:I think Reyes will get his act together in the near future. Reyes is too good of a player to fry out this early. If Rosario comes up, do you really need to buy? Wait for an injury to happen first.

I'm not ready to put all the eggs in the Rosario basket. I've seen Generation K fail, I've see the rise and fall of Milledge, the promise of King Fernando. It's a trust issue that the Mets have put on me.

Also and...

Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#928 » by reub » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:53 am

7 home runs tonight. Like I said previously, we have a murderer's row. And we haven't even heated up yet.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,169

Post#929 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:59 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
Mecca wrote:I think Reyes will get his act together in the near future. Reyes is too good of a player to fry out this early. If Rosario comes up, do you really need to buy? Wait for an injury to happen first.

I'm not ready to put all the eggs in the Rosario basket. I've seen Generation K fail, I've see the rise and fall of Milledge, the promise of King Fernando. It's a trust issue that the Mets have put on me.

Also and...

David West
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,643

Post#930 » by mpharris36 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:06 pm

ClydeRules wrote:7 home runs tonight. Like I said previously, we have a murderer's row. And we haven't even heated up yet.

i always thought what it would be like to play 82 games at citizens bank park. Like what if that was our home ball park. All are players love hitting there and we have great pitching that allows us not to be too effected by the ballpark.

Cespedes, Bruce, Walker, Duda would absolutely rake there. 40+ homers for a few of them if that was the case.

And during his hay day Wright loved hitting in that park too
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#931 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:18 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:7 home runs tonight. Like I said previously, we have a murderer's row. And we haven't even heated up yet.

i always thought what it would be like to play 82 games at citizens bank park. Like what if that was our home ball park. All are players love hitting there and we have great pitching that allows us not to be too effected by the ballpark.

Cespedes, Bruce, Walker, Duda would absolutely rake there. 40+ homers for a few of them if that was the case.

And during his hay day Wright loved hitting in that park too

If you look up the stats, Wright has killed the Phillies at CBP. I'm pretty sure his stats are amazing there.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#932 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:21 pm

I was at CBP in '05 when the Mets hit 7 HRs there. I know Jose hit 2, Piazza hit a monster rope that was still on an upward trajectory when it left the park. I think it's still orbiting the earth. lol. I never saw a HR hit as hard as that one. Phil Mankiewicz hit one. I think Wright might've hit 2. Anyhow, it was a fun game to be at especially since my Phillies' fan buddy took me to it with his season tickets. :lol:
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Post#933 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:46 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:

I was at CBP in '05 when the Mets hit 7 HRs there. I know Jose hit 2, Piazza hit a monster rope that was still on an upward trajectory when it left the park. I think it's still orbiting the earth. lol. I never saw a HR hit as hard as that one. Phil Mankiewicz hit one. I think Wright might've hit 2. Anyhow, it was a fun game to be at especially since my Phillies' fan buddy took me to it with his season tickets. :lol:

I liked Douggie Mientkiewicz (not Phil!). This season is going to be an interesting one!
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
What do you think about @kporzee? Karl-Anthony Towns: PorzinGOD does not care or need my opinion for he is a higher life form then all of us.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#934 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:01 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I liked Douggie Mientkiewicz (not Phil!). This season is going to be an interesting one!

Doug! Right. Who's Phil? Who cares? :lol:

Freaking Robles hasn't changed. Same ol' up and down guy who one game will look like an all-star and the next look like garbage. But still, a lot of good news tonight. Forto looking great and may put Grandy out of a job soon. Wheeler pitched great until he got tired. Let's see if he can show some consistency. Cespedes continues to be Cespedes. Reed has stepped it up and looks great, as does Salas.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#935 » by reub » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:34 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Freaking Robles hasn't changed. Same ol' up and down guy who one game will look like an all-star and the next look like garbage. But still, a lot of good news tonight. Forto looking great and may put Grandy out of a job soon. Wheeler pitched great until he got tired. Let's see if he can show some consistency. Cespedes continues to be Cespedes. Reed has stepped it up and looks great, as does Salas.

We won a 16 inning marathon last night that went to nearly 1 in the morning. Gsellman got lit up. Our bullpen was pretty much lights out, especially Smoker for 3 fabulous innings that make me think that he's a future closer. His stuff and command is lights out!. We were all out of relievers after Robles pitched the 16th for his 4th consecutive game and Terry Collins said that the next pitcher he was going to use was CATCHER Rene Rivera. Thankfully d'Arnaud saved us from that with a 16th inning blast.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#936 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:47 pm

ClydeRules wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:I liked Douggie Mientkiewicz (not Phil!). This season is going to be an interesting one!

We won a 16 inning marathon last night that went to nearly 1 in the morning. Gsellman got lit up. Our bullpen was pretty much lights out, especially Smoker for 3 fabulous innings that make me think that he's a future closer. His stuff and command is lights out!. We were all out of relievers after Robles pitched the 16th for his 4th consecutive game and Terry Collins said that the next pitcher he was going to use was CATCHER Rene Rivera. Thankfully d'Arnaud saved us from that with a 16th inning blast.

Smoker was definitely a hero last night along with the rest of the BP. I didn't get to see much of the game. What was the problem with Gsellman? Was he really hit hard?

D'Arnaud seems to be hitting pretty good again. I don't know if he'll ever throw out a runner though. If we could just combine his hitting with Rivera's defense.

Hey, but we're now 7-3! Cespedes is a freaking beast. Bruce is hitting up a storm. Conforto is trying to push Grandy out of a starting job. Soon we'll get Lugo back and then, hopefully, Matz.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#937 » by Manhattan Project » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:49 am

So Noah REALLY is trying to be Nolan Ryan huh? I don't care if it's cool or not, get the damn pickle juice.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#938 » by reub » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:47 pm

Edgin lost the game last night after walking the leadoff man. He's not very good. Blevins and Smoker are much, much better options from the left side. Probably Gilmartin too.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#939 » by reub » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:40 pm

More Smoker and less everybody else in the bullpen not named Reed or Familia or Blevins would help the team a lot.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#940 » by Barcs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:55 pm

This sucks. The Mets need Familia back badly. This is so annoying, watching starting pitching excel for the most part, and then the bullpen choking away game after game.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:

Return to New York Knicks