ImageImageImageImageImage

Thank God, It's Over.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Thank God, It's Over. 

Post#1 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:26 am

Yet another year in which the Knicks got off to a decent start to make us believe that perhaps this team is capable of something. Then all of a sudden it's Christmas and the Knicks forget how to win. Losing 9 of the next ten, the Knicks were never able to bounce back and the season was all but lost. At least there's a silver lining, we have our own first round pick... so let's go mess that up.

At this point in time both generals are leading their armies, General Melo is in a battle against General Zen. Melo and his NTC guarantees that it's up to him whether he stays or goes. General Zen has the backing of Dolan, who will live up to his end of the deal. In this bloody battle, there are no victories, only victims. Phil has done every thing he can do to alienate Melo, but also the fans in this. How could anyone in their right mind support this? How could anyone support the triangle in this day and age? Phil has his spies and minions all over the place, there's not a chance this could be successful. Then there's Melo, it was always about the money. He wanted his money when he came here, we obliged in sacrificing the chips. We proceeded to squander all opportunities to build a team around him, the entire Billups fiasco really cost us. He wanted his money when he resigned with us, but hey he wanted to be here. It's just obvious it wasn't Phil who wanted him here. Both sides are to blame for this, Melo's shortsightedness and the ineptitude of the Knicks.

Hell I still can't believe that Thibs allegedly wanted to be here, we don't even consider him and then proceed to trade for Rose and sign Noah. Hell even Melo respected Thibs, but hey lets go with Hornacek. Then again he never had a chance to succeed here, once Rambis and Sasha were still on this team you knew that Phil was going to be interjecting at every chance he could get. Running the triangle extensively next year? What's the point of Hornacek even traveling with the team, just have Phil skype all the games. Hornacek has been castrated to the point that him resigning the head coaching position seems plausible.

This ugly season has served as a brutal reminder to all of us. The end of the bench players, this is their job, their livelihood and they got families to support, dreams to chase and this is their chance at it. Having to root against the likes of Baker, Ndour, Randle and Plumlee honestly annoys me. Their trying to prove that they belong in this league and all it's doing is hurting the long term outlook of this team. We complete the sweep against the Bulls who were fighting for the playoffs, we beat the Pistons and we beat the Heat who were fighting for the playoffs. In what world does this even make sense? Last but not least we beat the 76ers to allow us to be in a coin toss for the sixth pick.

The development of young players was indeed present this year, however to most fans it wasn't the one we wanted. Porzingis improved his numbers across the board, FG%, 3P%, Assists, Blocks and points. However he didn't blossom into a superstar in his second season and some have even soured on him! I mean I don't know about you, but the potential is still there for him and he's going to only get better. Hernangomez really impressed this year when given playing time, as a starter he averaged 12 points, 9 rebounds and 2 assists. He shown some real flashes, some slick passing, shooting and defense. He proved that he is going to be a real good player in the near future, definitely a nice steal by Phil on that one. Baker didn't always get a lot of time this year, but proved that he deserves a spot on the team.

Looking into the offseason, the Knicks yet again seemed poised for a rebuild, so that means we will doing another patch job. Similar to the roads in NY during winter, the maintenance crews do some piss poor patch jobs on the potholes, they'll only open up again in a few weeks time. That's been the Knicks for years now, retooling instead of rebuilding. It all begins with Melo, I have to believe that he sees the writing on the wall and that writing is screaming accept a trade. I cringe at the thought of how little Phil will accept in exchange for Melo, but for the sake of the future of this team it has to be done. Unless we get the help of the Gods, Old or New, we are screwed because Hank Moody said it best, God Hates us All. Gone are the days of Fultz, Ball and Jackson but now the debate will rage over the likes of Fox, Monk, Smith and Ntilikina. I would like to think we can't add another big man... could we? The Knicks will still be able to add a nice young piece to the team, but a possible franchise changer has eluded us.

Noah remains an albatross of a contract, virtually untradable and is facing suspension and recovering from injury. The trifecta! Lee is the perfect player to get traded, solid contract and has probably already asked to be traded. I can't envision a world in which he stays on this team next year. Then there's Derrick Rose. The man who went AWOL on us, the team and is clearly looking to cash in on a season in which he proved he can still get to the basket and still relatively healthy. At this point of his career he's suited to be a sixth man, but his pride probably won't allow him to come off the bench. I sincerely hope we don't even entertain the idea of bringing him back, ESPECIALLY since we will be running the triangle next year.

The Knicks will have some cap space to play around with this offseason, but man... stop. This team isn't in position nor should even entertain signing anyone. Hey if we can sign a Durant, Curry, Paul, Hayward or Griffin then go for it, but then you wake up and realize this isn't 2K. I really hope we don't hand a max contract out to the likes of Jrue, Otto, Lowry, KCP, Noel or the Milsaps of the world. Let the kids develop, the future of this team is KP, Willy and the draft pick. They need to grow their own identities, not playing sidekicks to a team heading nowhere.

It's been a long season and one in which I'm super glad that it's over. This was one of the worst Knick seasons I've ever lived through and I hope we never have to suffer like this again.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Re: Thank God, It's Over. 

Post#2 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:36 am

This team cant do anything right....Cant even lose properly.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,444

Post#3 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:07 am

It's not over until we trade Melo. So say I.
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Post#4 » by bleedblue3303 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:12 am

Its not over because we are most likely going to miss a stud player by 1 or 2 picks and that will have to haunt us for the next 15 years.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#5 » by blueNorange » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:15 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:It's not over until we trade Melo. So say I.

it's sad but true, melo literally has this team's future held hostage. they want him gone, they want to rebuild, but he only wants to go to a select few of teams and the knicks don't want to get screwed in the process.

but as you said, melo needs to go period. if that means receiving a bag of crap in return, so be it.

the hierarchy of this team needs to be dismantled.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,954

Post#6 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:33 am

We need to rebuild. Starting from the top.

Can't get of Dolan, but we can get rid of Phil. Get a guy who is good at analytics, but knows how to create a good culture
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#7 » by Greenie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:43 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:It's not over until we trade Melo. So say I.

Hush
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran
And1: 1,138

Post#8 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:55 am

Things are looking up. Top 10 pick, hopefully Melo gets traded for a pick and some young players. Too 5 pick in 2018 and we are good to go
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#9 » by Bill Pidto » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:16 am

I'm still holding out hope for a top 3 pick.

Absolutely brutal year, but would have been well worth it for a top 3 pick. Please, God.

Good post, MP. I agree with everything except for the parts about Phil/triangle. I still don't hate either. I also don't hate Melo, but I want him to leave, and I want the Knicks to tank again in 2018 unless the kids can propel the Knicks to the playoffs on their own.

RealGM, it's been real this year. A lot of bad vibes and heated debates, but I appreciate being able to come here and chat Knicks nonetheless. Even during such a crappy season. We deserve better, and we'll get there.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,657

Post#10 » by DaGawd » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:34 am

**** the Knicks
BaF
Washington Wizards
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#11 » by Oscirus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:55 am

Im holding out hope that our front office turns competent over night.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
watchmen77
Bench Warmer
And1: 27

Post#12 » by watchmen77 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:55 am

Agree, what a nightmare season. Finally is over, hope next season is better, at least we have kp......just be happy at least this season is over.

What's sad to me is that we could have had them BOTH. Harvard learning from one of the GOAT.

Now we have Fat learning from Drunk.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#13 » by DowNY » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:03 am

Since all-star break, haven't watched more than 40 accumulative minutes of Knicks basketball (or NBA for that matter because I'm such a Knick guy) & I do not regret it.
Was time well saved.

F these guys. F Dolan. F Phil. F Noah.

How can they not do 1 thing right?
KP seemed to not progress at a rate we hope & now we're tied for 6th in the lottery & can possibly be 7th by next week after the coin flip. 2 weeks after they were in the 4th spot.
Bunch of idiots.

I'll continue to have hope every season & continue to defend the Knicks against my friends by saying "the Nets suck & have no future, stop riding my Knicks. Whatever.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,340

Post#14 » by NoStatsGuy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:35 am

f phil, f dolan

its hard to root fo a franhise controlled by egomaniacs like phil and dolan
im bout dat action boss
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,444

Post#15 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:52 am

RottenApple wrote:f phil, f dolan

its hard to root fo a franhise controlled by egomaniacs like phil and dolan

As opposed to all the other controlling egomaniacs in professional sports?
FKF
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#16 » by FKF » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:49 am

The situation is not as bad as it is. Relax people!

The Knicks are not the Nets. They sell-out their games, they own their pick and they won 31 games, 22 games away from the top Eastern seed.

However, it is proving more difficult for Eastern teams to rebuild, because they win more games in a weaker conference and therefore get less ping balls. Thibs's Wolves were a better team than the Knicks, and both finish tied.
The Wolves finish 36 games behind the West's top seed and will get as many ping balls.

Let's just hope for a top 3 pick, that's all any team can do at this point when you miss the play-offs. And we are not that far from getting back to 40+ wins or more.

At some point, the NBA should perhaps factor in strength of schedule when giving odds to the lottery.
All Easter teams are in the 1st half of teams with an SOS of under .500.

https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS/order/false

Eastern teams are getting easier schedules, which weakens their lottery positions, while they so desperately need more talent to rebuild.

The league would become pretty **** up if Phoenix, LAL, Minnesota each won a top 3 position.
New-York Knicks fan since 1998, based in Paris, FR.
BeagleBoss
General Manager
And1: 4,331

Re: RE: Re: Thank God, It's Over. 

Post#17 » by BeagleBoss » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:08 am

tuna108 wrote:Things are looking up. Top 10 pick, hopefully Melo gets traded for a pick and some young players. Too 5 pick in 2018 and we are good to go

Did you forget who is in charge? Add the toxic culture and bad karma and things are not looking up.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#18 » by Sark » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:11 am

FKF wrote:The situation is not as bad as it is. Relax people!

The Knicks are not the Nets. They sell-out their games, they own their pick and they won 31 games, 22 games away from the top Eastern seed.

However, it is proving more difficult for Eastern teams to rebuild, because they win more games in a weaker conference and therefore get less ping balls. Thibs's Wolves were a better team than the Knicks, and both finish tied.
The Wolves finish 36 games behind the West's top seed and will get as many ping balls.

Let's just hope for a top 3 pick, that's all any team can do at this point when you miss the play-offs. And we are not that far from getting back to 40+ wins or more.

At some point, the NBA should perhaps factor in strength of schedule when giving odds to the lottery.

Eastern teams are getting easier schedules, which weakens their lottery positions, while they so desperately need more talent to rebuild.

The league would become pretty **** up if Phoenix, LAL, Minnesota each won a top 3 position.

Only 22 games huh? You say it as if we're right there, and just need a piece or two.

And in fact Eastern teams are getting top picks. Actually our divison is getting top picks. The Boston Celtics are the top team, and have a good chance at the #1 pick overall. Get ready to play Markelle Fultz for the next decade. The Sixers have a likely top 4 pick, and maybe even 2 of them if the Lakers fall. Get ready for Embiid, Simmons, Josh Jackson and maybe Lonzo Ball for the next decade.

What do we have to show for this ineptitude? We have 33 year old Melo, who still wants to stay, and will never pass the ball. Whoever we even get in this draft will have to stall his development, until Mr Anthony can finally come off the books.

NY Knicks, welcome to another decade of irrelevance.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#19 » by Marty McFly » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:40 am

FKF wrote:The situation is not as bad as it is. Relax people!

that point about sos is a good point, but the whole, 22 games away from a top eastern seed is easier said than done. that's not where our mind state should be at anyway.

i want this team to grow organically, like the jazz have for instance. they traded away their franchise player, and slowly but surely started drafting and putting together a high upside roster. they've been improving steadily every year. i think this team can do that if they can forget about trying to get to the playoffs for a couple of seasons and let it happen organically.

i think Smith, Fox or Frank will be available to us.

add anyone of those to Kp, Bullygoat, and give them the keys. hopefully those guys put in major work next summer, because we're going to need it.

they need to rip the melo band off this summer too. i don't have anything against him, but it's time for a new chapter. this team needs a clear cut direction and we're never going to get that with melo here, for better or worse. it has nothing to do with what he'd want, but everything to do with the perceptions surrounding this team with him on the roster.

just give the kids the keys and let them figure it out.

I'd also like to see both stockton and malone helping hornacek out. malone with the bigs and stockton with whatever pg we draft. in fact, i would hope they'd actually get hired in some capacity. malone can be a special adviser type who coaches the bigs, and stockton could be the assistant coach instead of rambis.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#20 » by King of Canada » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:25 pm

If not for Melo, we would have had the worst record in the league, and be ready to take a top pick
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:

Return to New York Knicks