ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Kendrick Lamar DAMN.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

OT: Kendrick Lamar DAMN. 

Post#1 » by ChilledAlex » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:00 am

First impressions, favorite tracks?

Was waiting for this album and it delivered! Absolutely love it. After 2nd time going through the tracks my favorites are DNA, Element, Feel, Pride, Love, Fear, Duckworth.

How about you?
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Re: OT: Kendrick Lamar DAMN. 

Post#2 » by Fat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:16 pm

he got an annoying voice i cant listen to him like that, dope artist though
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#3 » by Mecca » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:53 pm

HAPPY KDOT DAY

- I'm going to make this short and sweet. There's ANOTHER album coming on Sunday.

- Damn has a dark and pessimistic undertone throughout the album. The album was released on Good Friday-a holiday often associated with sadness and sorrow.

- On Easter Sunday-a holiday often associated with joy and liberation, Kendrick will drop another album, except this time a more joyful, uplifting album.

- There are hints laying all over the alum as well as Soundwave dropping a hint.

- Overall this project is more of a modern sound that resonates with listeners much better. Kendrick hasn't toured in 4 years. He needed to make an album he can tour with.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#4 » by EricAnderson » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:26 pm

I liked gkmc but tpab and this bored me. The beats just don't move me.

Not into that dark depressing content either.

Problem is the Huge Kendrick fans have to make anything he does now into some amazing masterpiece that changes music and it's annoying.

Their already calling this a classic hours after it's released. I'm convinced they'll say that about anything he drops now no matter what it sounds like.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,403
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#5 » by E-Balla » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Good album, not great. There's like 5 songs I don't see myself revisiting but 7/14 that will be in rotation even months from now. The 2nd half of XXX and PRIDE are amazing peak moments in the album that remind you of exactly how great Kendrick is.

Talib and Styles P and Carti also came out today with solid albums. Good day for music.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#6 » by E-Balla » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:37 pm

:evil:
EricAnderson wrote:I liked gkmc but tpab and this bored me. The beats just don't move me.

Problem is the Huge Kendrick fans have to make anything he does now into some amazing masterpiece that changes music and it's annoying.

Their already calling this a classic hours after it's released. I'm convinced they'll say that about anything he drops now no matter what it sounds like.

Its funny you say this because you like TPAB and that's the album most use to say his fans hype everything he makes. Personally I think GKMC and S.80 are his only classics. The others are just good albums.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#7 » by Mecca » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:39 pm

The more I listen, the more I fall in love. Hear me out:

Kendrick is comparing himself to Jesus throughout the album. That's why it was released on Good Friday.

- The blind women speaking is a symbol for our society- how our youth is too distracted by social media/ego to see real issues. How TPAB's message didn't fall through like he thought.

- Throughout the album he's speaking about how he's almost like Jesus. Spreading the good word and nobody is following him.
Brooklyn Nets
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by EricAnderson » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:42 pm

E-Balla wrote::evil:
EricAnderson wrote:I liked gkmc but tpab and this bored me. The beats just don't move me.

Its funny you say this because you like TPAB and that's the album most use to say his fans hype everything he makes. Personally I think GKMC and S.80 are his only classics. The others are just good albums.

No tpab bored the hell out of me outside of the singles

Gkmc is the only album of his I really liked
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by EricAnderson » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:44 pm

Mecca wrote:The more I listen, the more I fall in love. Hear me out:

Kendrick is comparing himself to Jesus throughout the album. That's why it was released on Good Friday.

- The blind women speaking is a symbol for our society- how our youth is too distracted by social media/ego to see real issues. How TPAB's message didn't fall through like he thought.

- Throughout the album he's speaking about how he's almost like Jesus. Spreading the good word and nobody is following him.

I don't doubt his creativity but at the end of the day it's still Music/entertainment

I don't care how creative it is or how much he rips it lyrically if I'm not feeling the beats and overall music
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by EricAnderson » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:47 pm

I also find i comical how Kendrick is now one of those mentally ill black Hebrew Israelites lol
Mecca
RealGM

Post#11 » by Mecca » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:47 pm

EricAnderson wrote:

I don't doubt his creativity but at the end of the day it's still Music/entertainment

I don't care how creative it is or how much he rips it lyrically if I'm not feeling the beats and overall music

I'm feeling the more modern sound personally. TPAB was supposed to be timeless music. That's why the sound was different. For every era.
Brooklyn Nets
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by EricAnderson » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Mecca wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:

I'm feeling the more modern sound personally. TPAB was supposed to be timeless music. That's why the sound was different. For every era.

Gkmc had a modern sound which I loved. These beats just don't have energy to me
Mecca
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mecca » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:52 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
Mecca wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:

Give it some time to simmer bro
Brooklyn Nets
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#14 » by E-Balla » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:10 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
E-Balla wrote::evil:

No tpab bored the hell out of me outside of the singles

Gkmc is the only album of his I really liked

You didn't like Section 80?
Starks
Veteran
And1: 408

Post#15 » by Starks » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:11 pm

Only heard the Alchemist-produced track "Fear" so far. Kinda disappointed since I didn't get the ALC vibe I'm used to, but I'll still give the album a chance.
E-Balla
RealGM

Post#16 » by E-Balla » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:15 pm

Mecca wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:
Mecca wrote:

I've never heard a classic album I didn't know was instantly a classic. When I got GKMC day one and was listening to it for the first time me and my cousin were catching up and we both literally stopped talking at the same time to listen (we chatted though the first 3 tracks and by the end of The Art of Peer Pressure we were both dead silent). Graduation was a classic on first listen. The first time I heard the Cool it took me hours to get through because I kept replaying songs. This ain't that. If you have to listen to it 8 times before calling it a classic it ain't a classic.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,374

Post#17 » by god shammgod » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Starks wrote:Only heard the Alchemist-produced track "Fear" so far. Kinda disappointed since I didn't get the ALC vibe I'm used to, but I'll still give the album a chance.

i didn't even realize that was alchemist. that gotta be one of his worst beats ever. it fits though, because the production on this whole album is boring and generic.
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Post#18 » by ChilledAlex » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:24 pm

EricAnderson wrote:

Thats why world is so beautiful because people are different. I love the beats and indie approach from Kendrick towards few songs and I absolutely love his lyrics which always makes you think and not just consume.. He is one of those rare artists these days that are not shallow and maybe thats why he has so many followers that as you say 'blindly put anything Kendrick makes a classic status"
Starks
Veteran
And1: 408

Post#19 » by Starks » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Yes that's the problem once an artist reaches a certain level of cult following. As kind of a "hip hop head", I usually get to know these artists way before the masses and most of the time the music they put out is way better before the fame. I don't know, it's a mix of getting full of themselves and inevitably giving into this "hip pop" genre at some point.

It was the case with Kanye, and it's becoming the case with Kendrick Lamar to some extent. People will instantly consider their release as classic material, just because. That's why I like to stick to the underground sound, which to me is more authentic and musically interesting, and you don't get this ridiculous overhype for everything they put out.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#20 » by Mecca » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:30 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Mecca wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:

I've never heard a classic album I didn't know was instantly a classic. When I got GKMC day one and was listening to it for the first time me and my cousin were catching up and we both literally stopped talking at the same time to listen (we chatted though the first 3 tracks and by the end of The Art of Peer Pressure we were both dead silent). Graduation was a classic on first listen. The first time I heard the Cool it took me hours to get through because I kept replaying songs. This ain't that. If you have to listen to it 8 times before calling it a classic it ain't a classic.

I don't think this is the classic. I think when we get the 2nd album on Sunday, we'll receive the classic. I didn't love the sound of TPAB at first, but to me it's a classic now. My infatuation is more towards his artistry in the message/idea behind the 2 album approach. If the 2nd album doesn't come out, my opinion may very well change.

I do love the album and concept though. Showing people he can make music that has a modern appeal and commercial appeal without losing his soul/message.
Brooklyn Nets

Return to New York Knicks