Kevin Knox Turned Down $1.4M Offer From Team In China

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Kevin Knox Turned Down $1.4M Offer From Team In China 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:18 am

Kevin Knox received a $1.4 million offer from a team in the Chinese Basketball Association to play in their league instead of attend college before entering the 2018 NBA Draft.

"I didn't put much stock into the offer," said his father, also named Kevin. "We politely said thanks but no thanks. He's going to college."

Knox is still deciding which college to attend, picking between Duke, Florida State, Kentucky, Missouri and North Carolina.

Knox has recently been on the high school All-Star Game circuit, beginning in Chicago at the McDonald's game, then the Nike Hoop Summit in Portland and in New York City for the Jordan Brand Classic.

Via Bob Putnam/Tampa Bay Times

dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 920

Re: Kevin Knox Turned Down $1.4M Offer From Team In China 

Post#2 » by dk1115 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:28 am

I think it's pretty silly to turn down so much money instead of being one and done in a college. You can completely suck and still not hurt your stock while overseas. Brandon Jennings averaged 6 points/game for Italy and still landed in the lottery.
EnriCela13
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#3 » by EnriCela13 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:13 pm

dk1115 wrote:I think it's pretty silly to turn down so much money instead of being one and done in a college. You can completely suck and still not hurt your stock while overseas. Brandon Jennings averaged 6 points/game for Italy and still landed in the lottery.

Brandon Jennings was playing in a very tough and physical European league. If you're playing in China you have to put up numbers for sure, but so what, it's still 1.4 mil instead of risking injury for a 40k scholarship. Definitely shoulda taken the offer.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,546

Post#4 » by Psubs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Mudiay played in China and was average and was still top 5 and he isn't doing that well so far in the NBA.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#5 » by MaxRider » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Psubs wrote:Mudiay played in China and was average and was still top 5 and he isn't doing that well so far in the NBA.

You make it sound like China ruined his career. Many top high school prospect went to college also didn't do too well in NBA.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#6 » by MaxRider » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:24 pm

dk1115 wrote:I think it's pretty silly to turn down so much money instead of being one and done in a college. You can completely suck and still not hurt your stock while overseas. Brandon Jennings averaged 6 points/game for Italy and still landed in the lottery.

Experiencing college life when you are in your late teen/early twenty is priceless. I know some say you can attend college anytime you like, but the experience is different. When I was in college, one of the guy hanging with us is already in his early 30s. He is already married, so there are lot of stuff we college kids want to do and he can't. We will go party overnight on weekend, he will have to go home to be with his wife. 1.4M sound like lot of money for normal people like us. If you are good and you know you will be drafted. I'll reject the money and attend college. Going to China not knowing their language and culture is very difficult.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,255

Post#7 » by GBPackers47 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:33 pm

For the majority of people who will never sniff the million dollar range, yea it seems silly to turn down. But you also have to look at it being a 17/18 year old living in China, not getting to experience the incredible feeling of college, whether it's one year or not.

Return to Wiretap Discussion