ImageImageImageImageImage

Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Re: Phil will talk today at 2:30 - WRITEUP - pg 17 

Post#1221 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:39 pm

moocow007 wrote:
JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:
Just getting my popcorn ready for when Phil Jackson starts sending cryptic messages next year about Kristaps shooting too many threes and how that hurts the offense. I'll remember this thread. Should be fun. :roll:

Phil has a pretty long history of motivating players through criticism. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's who he is.

Which is fine. But it doesn't mean that he should do it. A fat person is what he is but that doesn't mean that they should continue to be what they are. But more importantly, he doesn't have Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant backing him up. He's got Carmelo Anthony, who, ironically, as it appears more and more (based on his teammates reactions and reactions of multiple parties around the league), could have been the guy to back him up (even if not to anywhere near the degree of on court success that MJ and Kobe did for him) and he managed to ostracize him.

Right, I'm not saying it's a good idea; I'm saying it shouldn't surprise us. And he may very well do it to KP too, to see how he responds.
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#1222 » by NYKBaller » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:43 pm

The only difference is phil did it winning 60 games and championships now in new york city media during rebuilding writers can attack him saying look at the teams record
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,776

Post#1223 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:43 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Hey I said the same thing. Whatever issues or problems or inabilities of Anthony doesn't excuse or alter what Jackson is. NY would be better off with both gone...not just one.

Totally agree. I'll settle for PJ sending Melo packing this offseason and then maybe he'll be next. One step at a time.

Or maybe without the Melo cloud hanging over the franchise, and maybe after Phil has learned a lesson or two about New York, the losing will prove to have been worth it, and Phil's vision can start to take shape. And when he leaves because he's just too old and beaten down to do it anymore, he'll leave Knicks fans satisfied with the progress and overall direction, even if they're not in the title picture yet.

That's my hope. And I think it's a very plausible outcome still. I just think Phil's biggest hurdle is not himself, but his detractors. Because I do believe there's an agenda, and I do believe it's the reason he didn't speak to the media this year. The twitter stuff was a mistake. Rosen is an interesting wrinkle. But ultimately, I believe Phil is the man for this job. I knew that the minute Dolan started toting his line, "ask Phil".

I guess in turn, his biggest obstacle will be himself, because it will be up to him to circumnavigate the press and the fans, and subsequently, Dolan, to see this thing through. Phil is eccentric, so it will be difficult, and he hasn't been perfect so far. But I still think the Zen Master is up for the challenge. He's just that intelligent, and he's just that committed.

I hope that turns out to be the case, but so far doesn't seem likely
KnickLeDime
Bench Warmer
And1: 863

Post#1224 » by KnickLeDime » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:45 pm

NYKBaller wrote:The only difference is phil did it winning 60 games and championships now in new york city media during rebuilding writers can attack him saying look at the teams record

He's been rebuilding for years...he's gone 1.5 decent prospects.
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#1225 » by NYKBaller » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:50 pm

KnickLeDime wrote:
NYKBaller wrote:The only difference is phil did it winning 60 games and championships now in new york city media during rebuilding writers can attack him saying look at the teams record

He took over a team mid season that was losing. Didn't have a pick bargnani trade, second year melo injured gets porzingis, next year pick swap like be for real
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#1226 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:54 pm

KnickLeDime wrote:
Bill Pidto wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Totally agree. I'll settle for PJ sending Melo packing this offseason and then maybe he'll be next. One step at a time.

Or maybe without the Melo cloud hanging over the franchise, and maybe after Phil has learned a lesson or two about New York, the losing will prove to have been worth it, and Phil's vision can start to take shape. And when he leaves because he's just too old and beaten down to do it anymore, he'll leave Knicks fans satisfied with the progress and overall direction, even if they're not in the title picture yet.

That's my hope. And I think it's a very plausible outcome still. I just think Phil's biggest hurdle is not himself, but his detractors. Because I do believe there's an agenda, and I do believe it's the reason he didn't speak to the media this year. The twitter stuff was a mistake. Rosen is an interesting wrinkle. But ultimately, I believe Phil is the man for this job. I knew that the minute Dolan started toting his line, "ask Phil".

I guess in turn, his biggest obstacle will be himself, because it will be up to him to circumnavigate the press and the fans, and subsequently, Dolan, to see this thing through. Phil is eccentric, so it will be difficult, and he hasn't been perfect so far. But I still think the Zen Master is up for the challenge. He's just that intelligent, and he's just that committed.

Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant

Post#1227 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:56 pm

NYKBaller wrote:
KnickLeDime wrote:

He took over a team mid season that was losing. Didn't have a pick bargnani trade, second year melo injured gets porzingis, next year pick swap like be for real

Not a lot of critical thinkers here.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,960

Post#1228 » by Capn'O » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 pm

NYKBaller wrote:
KnickLeDime wrote:

Melo trade, actually.

Bargs trade was the (swapped) pick from 2016.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
KnickLeDime
Bench Warmer

Post#1229 » by KnickLeDime » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Capn'O wrote:
NYKBaller wrote:
KnickLeDime wrote:He's been rebuilding for years...he's gone 1.5 decent prospects.

Melo trade, actually.

Not to get off on tangent...but, the Barg trade by Grunfeld was an absolute to 2 moves of all time. They gave up a first rounder for him...I swear, if I ever saw Grun on the street I'd kick him straight in the throat.
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant

Post#1230 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:04 pm

moocow007 wrote:
KnickLeDime wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Hey I said the same thing. Whatever issues or problems or inabilities of Anthony doesn't excuse or alter what Jackson is. NY would be better off with both gone...not just one.

Agreed again...are we best friends?

See...NOOOOWWW is the time that fat owner Doltan is going to show some patience.

Yeah talk about not being able to do anything right. The one time you want him to interfere he doesn't. :lol:

I would say it's more like- the one time he does the right thing and doesn't interfere, the fans want him to. Because Knicks fans are masochists.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,653

Post#1231 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:04 pm

Capn'O wrote:
NYKBaller wrote:
KnickLeDime wrote:He's been rebuilding for years...he's gone 1.5 decent prospects.

Melo trade, actually.

Having any sort of 1st rd pick last year would have helped tremendously. Hard to hold it against Phil that there's not enough young talent on the roster when he's only had essentially 2 1st rounders to draft in 3 years so far and one was from a trade that was universally praised at the time.
KnickLeDime
Bench Warmer

Post#1232 » by KnickLeDime » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:05 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
KnickLeDime wrote:
Agreed again...are we best friends?

See...NOOOOWWW is the time that fat owner Doltan is going to show some patience.

Yeah talk about not being able to do anything right. The one time you want him to interfere he doesn't. :lol:

I would say it's more like- the one time he does the right thing and doesn't interfere, the fans want him to. Because Knicks fans are masochists.

I've concluded you don't know ****...;)
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant

Post#1233 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 pm

KnickLeDime wrote:
JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Who should Dolan hire? Who do you think he would hire?

I have no problem with giving Phil the boot, if we were to replace him with someone better. As Knicks fans we should all realize by now that "anyone" is not necessarily an improvement.

This is true...

You're damn right it's true. Give me RC Buford and Pop as coach and I'm all for it. But guess what... ain't nobody rushing to come and replace Phil in the Garden. Especially not someone of that caliber.

This is why NY needed an unorthodox man like Phil to take the reigns. Someone with a wealth of basketball knowledge and experience, and balls made of cast iron. This is no walk in the park, buddy.

Be careful what you wish for.
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant

Post#1234 » by Bill Pidto » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 pm

KnickLeDime wrote:
Bill Pidto wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

I've concluded you don't know ****...;)

Kinglee
Analyst
And1: 1,177

Post#1235 » by Kinglee » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:52 am

battabing10 wrote:
Bill Pidto wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
You don't put your best offensive player on the bench. Your knowledge is lacking. Why the **** is Carmelo coming off the bench even a thought? It's dumb as ****, no matter what team he's on.

Maybe because the only thing he does is score and look to score, and doesn't do it very efficiently either.

Take away the rest of his career and accomplishments, the current version of Melo is a prime candidate for a 6th man role on a good team. He simply doesn't do enough of anything else to be starting on a team with real aspirations, and certainly is no longer the type of player you continue to try and build around. "Team's best offensive player" is also becoming more and more of a stretch.

knicks can be a .500 ball club next year just think of how many games they lost in the last few seconds cause they couldnt get stops. at least ten games could have gone the other way. you replace rose and melo with two decent defenders like baker and thomas and you get better right away. yeah i know "we lose all those points" well how has that worked for the knicks??? i even go a step further and say if melo come off the bench in that scenario knicks make the playoffs.

What the ****
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#1236 » by dakomish23 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:33 am

Capn'O wrote:
NYKBaller wrote:

Melo trade, actually.

We would of picked 2 picks later. We didn't because of the Bargs trade.

I still can't believe we sent 2 ends for that clown let alone a 1st. To me, maybe the most inexcusable move by this organization since we traded Ewing. And there are a lot of them
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,576

Post#1237 » by El Poochio » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:55 pm

IN PHIL WE TRUST

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
APE
Junior
And1: 539

Post#1238 » by APE » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:27 pm

He speaks, we weep
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#1239 » by NYKAL » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:08 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:George Karl (still a famous dbag) on Melo:

"Coaching him meant working around his defense and compensating for his attitude."

No WAY! I mean, we've never seen any of those aspects of Melo during his time as a Knickl :noway:

George Karl lost all credibility regarding players long before he Coached the Nuggets. His former players seem to loath him. Even went as far as saying he preferred to coach only roll players, that he couldn't deal with Star personalities. If that's the case, dude should be coaching for some College or HS.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,019

Post#1240 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Fixed

El Poochio wrote:IN PHIL WE TRUST SINCE WE HAVE NO CHOICE

Return to New York Knicks