ImageImageImageImageImage

Official New York Rangers Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: Official New York Rangers Thread 

Post#81 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Mar 1, 2017 3:23 am

I dunno.

I don't know what the Rangers are seeing in Brendan Smith. He's a good stay at home defenseman. He's big and he's left hander but he doesn't fix anything. Yet, the Rangers gave up a couple picks for him with Adam Clendening who is younger, faster and better.

Rangers NEED to fix that defense in the off-season. They're too small and too slow for teams like the Caps and Pens. They're going to have to say good bye to Klein, find a way to move either Staal or Giradi. Bring in some bigger guys who can move punks out of the crease and compliment McDonagh.

It also wouldn't hurt to bring in a big center but that's for another day.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#82 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Mar 1, 2017 3:42 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:I dunno.

I don't know what the Rangers are seeing in Brendan Smith. He's a good stay at home defenseman. He's big and he's left hander but he doesn't fix anything. Yet, the Rangers gave up a couple picks for him with Adam Clendening who is younger, faster and better.

Rangers NEED to fix that defense in the off-season. They're too small and too slow for teams like the Caps and Pens. They're going to have to say good bye to Klein, find a way to move either Staal or Giradi. Bring in some bigger guys who can move punks out of the crease and compliment McDonagh.

It also wouldn't hurt to bring in a big center but that's for another day.

He played with McDonagh and Stepan in college, so maybe they put a word in for him? Honestly if you look at the draft in hockey, it's a complete crap shoot starting from the first overall pick. The drafts are usually littered with guys who never even make it into the NHL, so that doesn't bother me when you hear multiple picks. Plus it was one of the picks we got in the Mika trade, so that was just rerouted. It was just after the Yandle/St Louis trades we needed to restock a little bit and I thought we did that the past two years. Not sure where you heard Clendening was part of the trade, he wasn't.

As far as the offseason goes, the FA class is looking bleak. Alzner, Shattenkirk and maybe Franson. Not exactly some big names, I just think the Rangers are really hoping for Skjei to step up big time. Id have no problem in breaking the bank for a young talent like Jones, Hamilton, Reilly etc but I just don't see that happening.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#83 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Mar 1, 2017 3:58 am

Manhattan Project wrote:He played with McDonagh and Stepan in college, so maybe they put a word in for him? Honestly if you look at the draft in hockey, it's a complete crap shoot starting from the first overall pick. The drafts are usually littered with guys who never even make it into the NHL, so that doesn't bother me when you hear multiple picks. Plus it was one of the picks we got in the Mika trade, so that was just rerouted. It was just after the Yandle/St Louis trades we needed to restock a little bit and I thought we did that the past two years. Not sure where you heard Clendening was part of the trade, he wasn't.

As far as the offseason goes, the FA class is looking bleak. Alzner, Shattenkirk and maybe Franson. Not exactly some big names, I just think the Rangers are really hoping for Skjei to step up big time. Id have no problem in breaking the bank for a young talent like Jones, Hamilton, Reilly etc but I just don't see that happening.

In all sports, the draft are crap shoots but picks always gives a franchise the opportunity to get younger, more talented and cheaper. Control of their own destiny vs cap and depth draining trades.

I think the Rangers are definitely a younger, deeper team but they need to continue developing talent because as you say, the FA class looks bleak at the moment.

Sorry, that was poorly worded. I meant Clendening is there. He's playing well. Why do the Rangers have to make a deal? Just give the kid minutes.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#84 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:50 pm

The NHL playoffs have begun. The #5 seed, the NY Rangers, the NHL's best road team in Montreal to take on the Habs. Despite getting out shot 14 to 5 in the first period, the Rangers have a 1-0 after the first period. Brilliant penalty killing by the Rangers. This will be a tough, BRUTAL series.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#85 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:41 am

For those of you who care, the REAL winning franchise at MSG, the NY Rangers hung on to beat the Habs 2-0 in Mount-Real. Great game. Insane amounts of hitting. Tanner Glass with goal in the first period. Grabner with the empty netter in the third. See you Friday for Game 2.

Watching the NHL Playoffs at home like Melo and KP.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:34 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:For those of you who care, the REAL winning franchise at MSG, the NY Rangers hung on to beat the Habs 2-0 in Mount-Real. Great game. Insane amounts of hitting. Tanner Glass with goal in the first period. Grabner with the empty netter in the third. See you Friday for Game 2.

Watching the NHL Playoffs at home like Melo and KP.

Still amazed how Glass even got that shot in, truly impressive. Hank played like the King tonight and once again proved that he's one of the best. Still if there's a goalie that scares me in the playoffs, it's Price. Rangers did a great job of blocking shots and trying to bring the intensity to match the Habs. Habs looked annoyed often in this game, should only help us moving forward. Should be a gauntlet of a series, glad we won the first game. Brendan Smith did a hell of a job tonight.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#87 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:42 am

Usually Montreal is a house of horrors for Lundqvst but last night, he played like a hoss. Rangers need to keep up the pressure. Rangers had so many good shots in the second period but the Habs are no joke.

Enjoying the fact, Columbus and Pittsburgh are beating each other senseless. Pens lost their starting goalie.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#88 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:38 am

Rangers lose in OT 4-3. Tough loss. Rangers had the lead 3-2 with 5 minutes to go in regulation but it is VERY tough to go 2/2 against the Habs in Mount-Real.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#89 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:32 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers lose in OT 4-3. Tough loss. Rangers had the lead 3-2 with 5 minutes to go in regulation but it is VERY tough to go 2/2 against the Habs in Mount-Real.

They need to get Holden off the ice...put Klein back in.

Why were they so gassed? AV has not got this team in shape for a playoff run.

It's Vancouver all over again. He'll get fired here just like there. SMH
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#90 » by poeman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:24 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers lose in OT 4-3. Tough loss. Rangers had the lead 3-2 with 5 minutes to go in regulation but it is VERY tough to go 2/2 against the Habs in Mount-Real.

Gut wrenching loss...but this team can recover at home. They need to fix thst defende. 17 seconds from being up 2-0
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#91 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:23 am

AV's teams are built for the regular season...not the playoffs...what else is new...
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#92 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:52 am

Read on Twitter

R U kidding me? SMH
Apples
Sixth Man
And1: 619

Post#93 » by Apples » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:10 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:AV's teams are built for the regular season...not the playoffs...what else is new...

Yep, we're starting to see the Vancouver AV teams with the Rangers. Lack of adjustments...

I think one of the reasons why they went to the Cup Finals in his first year here, was because that team still had a lot of Tortorella in them. But with a modern offense.
SH0KASE
Junior
And1: 434

Post#94 » by SH0KASE » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:37 pm

Wish we would of stolen that game 2 because I knew we would be losing atleast 1 or possibly both games at home. Rangers never make it easy for themselves.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#95 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:43 pm

I just think the Rangers game out flat in Game 3. Sometimes on the road, you can focus better. The Rangers showed that in both Montreal games. I agree, they really needed that Game 2 win in Montreal but as with tradition, the Rangers face an uphill battle.

Tortorella is a good coach but I'm not convinced the roster and/or coaching is to blame. I just think a lot of these pieces like Skjei, Vesey, Zibanejad, JT Miller and Buchnevich are kids learning on the highest level of play. You also have some Vets like Kevin Klein who have completely disappeared.

I look for them to even the score in game 4.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#96 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:52 am

Rangers even if up! 2-2.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:19 am

This team is getting beat up left and right, but man really thrilled to see pissed off McDonagh hitting some people. Rangers still having major issues is creating pressure, probably will be the end of them in the long run. Either way good win for the Rangers tonight, Hank was once again phenomenal.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#98 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:50 am

Rangers win in OT, go up 3-2. Game Six at the Garden.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach

Post#99 » by BadNewsBarnes » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:20 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Rangers win in OT, go up 3-2. Game Six at the Garden.

I was impressed with the play of Buchnevich. You get the feeling he's going to score soon....
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#100 » by N8isScofield » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 am

I still feel that we don't have a chance at winning the cup until we acquire the kind of elite forward that you have to play your first pairing against. Nobody wins without one.

Return to New York Knicks