Former Pat's Tight End Hernandez Commits Suicide

Moderator: bwgood77

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Re: OT: Former Pat's Tight End Hernandez Commits Suicide 

Post#101 » by nickhx2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:27 pm

good riddance

guy wanted to play gangster and instead he made so many other people suffer.

you know what made me laugh in outrage though? espn/schefter reaction saying it was a tragedy. nah, it wasn't. and espn can go fk itself for even remotely insinuating there is tragedy in a murderer removing himself from the face of the planet.
DebrickDeball
Freshman
And1: 97

Post#102 » by DebrickDeball » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:33 pm

righterwriter wrote:He didn't willfully throw it all away. He was a mentally ill large man that could play football at a high level. Someone that is a sociopathic violent criminal usually isn't doing destructive things by choice but by compulsion. Just like a normal person doesn't make the choice to not kill that person for looking at them funny, Hernandez didn't really have the choice NOT to attack someone as that was the way he was wired.

It's absolutely not an excuse, as these people need to either be institutionalized and hopefully rehabilitated from a young age or simply put out the back and shot when all else fails so that innocent people don't have to suffer, but it should bear some greater understanding about psychological afflictions.

That's just ridiculous.

Nobody has any choice ni their behaviour?

If you were to say he had no choice in feeling compelled to murder you might have an argument. You'd still be wrong, but there's at least some rationale to that point of view.

To say that it wasn't his choice to murder three people on two separate occasions and attempt to murder a fourth is crazy.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#103 » by WashWiz54 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:40 pm

porcerel wrote:
ALL HAIL wrote:If there are people on this earth who love you, suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness.

Research actually shows that most people who attempt suicide actually view themselves as a burden to others and feel as though people would be better off without them because of their distorted cognitions as a result of severe depression, trauma, other mental illness etc. Somebody who has bipolar disorder, is in a deep depression, and attempts suicide could be the perfect example of this - and almost half of all individuals with this disorder do attempt suicide at some point. In effect, many people who attempt suicide view it as a selfless act because of their cognitive distortions. You can't expect people with severe mental illness to think rationally and be in touch with reality, particularly in terms of interpersonal relationships. One might very well perceive their loved ones as not loving them because of the aforementioned perceived burdensomeness.

All in all, others may perceive it as selfishness, but we can't pretend to know the mindset, cognitive thought processes, and inner-experiences of those who feel suicide is the best option. We just can't. That level of distress is otherworldly.

This isn't saying anything about Hernandez, though. I have no comment on this incident aside from feeling terrible for his daughter.

Great post, man.

As someone who lost my sister to suicide, it amazes me that people would call people who commit suicide "selfish". Most people who commit suicide think they're actually being selfless by ridding everyone of their burden of existence. I wish that wasn't my sister's attitude (or anyone else who commits suicide), but unfortunately it is. I don't know about here on RealGM, but everyone who I have debated this issue has never lost someone close to them to suicide and called that person selfish. It is only the people who only have an outsider looking in perspective who have failed to research the topic and just spew out the mouth how they "feel".
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,517

Post#104 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Turner4MVP wrote: You are 100% right and people need to do some reading on the illusion of free will. If you consistently make good choices you should be thanking the genetic/environmental lottery.

these two statements are contradictory. How can I choose to be thankful if free will is an illusion?
Veez
Pro Prospect
And1: 192

Post#105 » by Veez » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

some are saying he wouldnt have commited suicide..possible murder?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Re: Aaron Hernandez Found Dead Apparent Suicide 

Post#106 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm sure the Massachusetts authorities will perform a thorough investigation after which they will conclude there is nothing to see here and then have lunch.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
King-
Rookie
And1: 676

Post#107 » by King- » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:33 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:What a shame..

****. That picture of his daughter just hit me in the feels. Feel so bad for her, look at how innocent she looks. This is a girl that will not grow up without her dad... but its not like she didn't knew him. She did, he went to prison for murder, and then killed himself :(

Yesterday I saw somebody at the ED who took 90... NINETY tylenol to attempt suicide. He was in really bad shape, I really can't imagine the suffering he was going through..... but, my instant thoughts upon reading his "case" was, man, everybody needs somebody to talk to. What drove him to want to leave this Earth so soon? I know this has nothing to do with Aaron Hernandez' situation in particular.... but in the aftermath of that Cleveland video too and hearing a broken man speaking in that 8 min confession video....... please guys, if you ever feel lonely and feel trapped. PLEASE, reach out to somebody. Words can't describe how much simply just talking to somebody- not even a therapist, but somebody who will just listen to you and hear you out- can make a difference and positive impact on your lives.

Stay safe guys, love your family and try to be nice to everybody :(
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,114

Post#108 » by Edrees » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:55 pm

jwise44 wrote:Am I the only one that wouldn't be surprised if it was a prison murder that was made to look like suicide? Dude just got acquitted of the double murder and was just getting ready to appeal his life sentence....also apparently was deeply involved with a prison gang

Maybe I watched too much oz and other shows like it, but seems fishy to hang yourself after something good happens AND maybe something good could happen on the other charge

Yeah, probably just too much tv

Straight out of the wire
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#109 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Wow. Tragic stuff.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Wow. Tragic stuff.

I can sense your deep emotion around this subject.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#111 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:21 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:

Well...the guy did bring it on himself.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:30 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:

Well...the guy did bring it on himself.

No sense in either of us getting hung up over it.
porcerel
Junior
And1: 707

Post#113 » by porcerel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:56 pm

WashWiz54 wrote:Great post, man.

As someone who lost my sister to suicide, it amazes me that people would call people who commit suicide "selfish". Most people who commit suicide think they're actually being selfless by ridding everyone of their burden of existence. I wish that wasn't my sister's attitude (or anyone else who commits suicide), but unfortunately it is. I don't know about here on RealGM, but everyone who I have debated this issue has never lost someone close to them to suicide and called that person selfish. It is only the people who only have an outsider looking in perspective who have failed to research the topic and just spew out the mouth how they "feel".

So sorry to hear about your sister, man. It's also from from personal experience with my sister that I was able to see just how distorted their thinking is and how they view it as ridding the rest of us of the problem that is them. That's when I started researching the topic more in-depth. But you're absolutely 100% right that calling somebody selfish is from the perspective of how they "feel," and doesn't necessarily take into account the incredible struggle and torture the person attempting suicide is experiencing.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#114 » by City of Trees » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:58 pm

Smoking K2 is dangerous.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#115 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:11 am

MartinToVaught wrote:Is there any proof at all that Hernandez was mentally ill, or is this just another example of sports fans making excuses for athletes that they'd never make for anyone else?

And even if he was mentally ill, it's no excuse for what he did. Playing the mental illness card to excuse violent criminals' actions only furthers the stigmas that neuro-atypical people have to live with in society.

This. There is no proof he was mentally ill. I went to a high school where there were many gang shootings and I know many people that I went to school with that went into gangs. Just because you make bad decisions doesnt mean youre mentally ill. Lots of people join gangs because they think it makes them bad asses. This dude just wanted to be known as a bad ass gangster. Thats not being mentally ill.

Screw this dude, he ruined people's lives and the fact that there have been many people on shows todays trying to humanize this guy is pathetic. Screw him, the world is a better place that he is no longer here. And for everyone saying what about his daughter, sadly I think its for the best for her that she doesnt have to spend any more time with him. Some people should not be around children, a gang banger is one of those people.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,267

Post#116 » by mtron929 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:16 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Turner4MVP wrote: You are 100% right and people need to do some reading on the illusion of free will. If you consistently make good choices you should be thanking the genetic/environmental lottery.

these two statements are contradictory. How can I choose to be thankful if free will is an illusion?

Well, I believe it is just the weirdness of using words such as "choose" upon not believing in free will. For example, right now it might be awkward to say that the self-driving car chose to proceed carefully due to the accident on the road, but once the software gets complicated enough (AI robots), we would attribute choices to these machines.

At the end of the day from a more molecular perspective, things happen - some deterministic and some random.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#117 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:24 am

Cannot believe I am reading someone talk about Hernandez and making him out to be a victim of sorts.

You most certainly can control your actions, he clearly had no desire to do so. He had no issue taking the life of someone. Pandering to that crap is sickening. I don't care what you're reason is, what your mental state is skewed by, actions have consequences, and that man F'd up wayyyy too many times. Good riddance. I am not usually a proponent of suicide, but appealing and dragging his fiancee and young daughter through that for years would be so hard on them. Her growing up seeing her dad locked away for life tatted up, as a murdered, that would be tough on her. In this case, she probably is better off that he is gone.
smallgains
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,369

Post#118 » by smallgains » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:28 am

That poor kid born into that situation.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,114

Post#119 » by Edrees » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:33 am

Personally I find this suspicious. Did the police perform a thorough investigation to ensure he wasn't murdered and made look like a suicide? Just don't get why he'd wait until this moment to do it.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,245

Post#120 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:56 am

ALL HAIL wrote:
The Moose wrote:
ALL HAIL wrote:If people love you, it's selfish. Period.

Why hurt those who love you? Death and mourning is hard.

And you wouldn't consider it selfish to ask someone to keep living when their own existence is crushingly painful, just for your sake?

You're assuming that suicidal people communicate their plans. My experience tells me that most times they don't.

But to continue in your analogy, if someone I loved communicated with me the fact that they're in pain and want it to end, yes, it would be selfish on my part, after trying to get them help, to deny them an opportunity to be free from their pain.

But, like I said, most people, through my experience, usually commit suicide quietly, without uttering a word to loved ones, which only makes it harder on those that love them because they are strapped with the guilt of "I should've done more."

The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling. - David Foster Wallace

I've never been able to put my views on this into words better than the above, so I just revert to it.

Return to The General NFL Board