WCQF | (2) San Antonio Spurs vs Memphis Grizzlies (7) | SAS 4-2

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who gets more points + assists + rebounds tonight?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Mike Conley
36%
Kawhi Leonard
64%

Total votes: 14

Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,473

Re: WCQF | (2) San Antonio Spurs vs Memphis Grizzlies (7) | SAS 2-0 

Post#521 » by Chinook » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:38 pm

Funny, because that article says nothing about the contact the Grizz got away with. Manu got a black eye from an elbow that wasn't called for goodness sake. Some of these examples are horrible too.

Complaining about JaMychal not getting a dubious push when he literally threw Danny out of the way to get there:

Mills went straight up on his contact will Conley. That's a great no-call.

And obvious poke-away by Manu that Marc tried to flop on:

And one of those "no-calls" on Marc was actually a call on him from a horribly late whistle when the replay showed Manu got a clear swipe. It's just a terrible article that went in trying to prove a conclusion rather than trying to investigate a situation.

Even this one, which TNT replayed, Marc was backpedaling and slapped down. When you do that, you can't get the forearm like he did. Had he been stationary and straight up, he could have:

What makes this so much worse is that this piece specifically and very biasedly looked for times where the Grizz got jobbed and came up with a lot of dubious to incorrect examples. Some of these would not have upset me had they got the other way. But they didn't, and I won't join the chorus of "objective fans" who are extending pity about this. It's a damned shame this got so much more attention than it deserved. Memphis played undisciplined for most of the game and suffered for it. Rather than owning up to it, Fizdale tried to blame everyone else.

I'm glad his roster is more classy and mature than he is. Dude's rooking himself right now.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,380

Post#522 » by JonFromVA » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:04 pm

Grizfan6969 wrote:I'm not going to re-watch the game and cite a whole bunch of examples of what I know my eyes witnessed Monday Night, but you're more than welcome to read what I think was a very fair piece by SB Nation:

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/4/18/15339448/david-fizdale-fouls-referees-no-call-grizzlies-vs-spurs

Thanks for posting that, but gotta say, a lot of them looked pretty typical for a physical playoff game. Perhaps another site will look at those same plays and get a refs view?

But that doesn't change the fact Fizzdale *is* a rookie coach and his team is the 7th seed and they are known for playing physical and committing a bunch of fouls. They're supposed to get "rooked". The refs are supposed to protect the Spurs. It's how the NBA has always worked.

If you want to climb to the top you have to overcome the other team AND the refs. It's how it's always been.

The traditional answer when the refs aren't making calls you think they should be making is to start escalating the physicality further (ex: committing flagrants). Then they'll invariably tighten up the play calling and start calling ticky tack stuff to keep things from escalating, but I suspect that's not what the Griz want either.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,144

Post#523 » by AdagioPace » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:01 pm

the SB article doesn't provide a resolutive view.
He just takes a bunch of possessions stained with controversy and,arbitrarly, decides what should have been a foul and what not

this,on the other hand, is a good article
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-grizzlies-foul-so-damn-much/

to summarize:
he's trying to explain why the disparity in FTs might have been just a rare extremization of the tendencies which are trademarks of the two teams.
For me it's like when Golden state scores 150 points. It's bound to happen given the number of possessions they have x game and 3s they score.
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Post#524 » by bobobolas10 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:17 am

Regardless of your isolated examples, if you cannot acknowledge that more shot attempts in the paint should translate to more FT attempts then I don't know what can be presented to you to alter your stance on the matter, especially when you consider the blatant discrepancy from one team to another.

Additionally, it's quite disturbing that well more than 50% of the posts that I have read from Spurs fans have acknowledged that the Grizzlies got bent over by the refs, yet you and a couple others say no way, no how.

Trying to determine who has objectivity here. Maybe Fiz actually has a point in referencing numbers. :crazy:

Just in a vacuum, taking numbers out of the equation, anyone who watches that 4th quarter from a distance, without any dog in the fight, that DOESN'T feel as if the Grizzlies got the short end of the stick from the officials, has something wrong with them.

Hilarious that the vast majority of this forum (who are not Grizzlies or Spurs fans) feel the way that I do. Go figure.

I could not agree more. Yet he will take his time to go word by word to try to make a point.
"Take that for Data!"
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#525 » by Ballings7 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Chinook wrote:Funny, because that article says nothing about the contact the Grizz got away with. Manu got a black eye from an elbow that wasn't called for goodness sake. Some of these examples are horrible too.

Complaining about JaMychal not getting a dubious push when he literally threw Danny out of the way to get there:

Mills went straight up on his contact will Conley. That's a great no-call.

And obvious poke-away by Manu that Marc tried to flop on:

And one of those "no-calls" on Marc was actually a call on him from a horribly late whistle when the replay showed Manu got a clear swipe. It's just a terrible article that went in trying to prove a conclusion rather than trying to investigate a situation.

Even this one, which TNT replayed, Marc was backpedaling and slapped down. When you do that, you can't get the forearm like he did. Had he been stationary and straight up, he could have:

What makes this so much worse is that this piece specifically and very biasedly looked for times where the Grizz got jobbed and came up with a lot of dubious to incorrect examples. Some of these would not have upset me had they got the other way. But they didn't, and I won't join the chorus of "objective fans" who are extending pity about this. It's a damned shame this got so much more attention than it deserved. Memphis played undisciplined for most of the game and suffered for it. Rather than owning up to it, Fizdale tried to blame everyone else.

I'm glad his roster is more classy and mature than he is. Dude's rooking himself right now.

GREAT post...

And one that isn't ignorant.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#526 » by Chinook » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Ballings7 wrote:GREAT post...

And one that isn't ignorant.

I appreciate the praise. I can't stress enough how bad it is to have analysts who either don't know the game or have an inconsistent idea of how the game is supposed to be called. Viewers look at the commentary team to tell them what is really going on, and when you have guys like Miller who don't understand verticality or guys like Dennis Scott who ignore hand-checking, people are going to get confused.

Not every time an offensive player goes to the ground on a drive should be a call. Not all contact is the same. You had a situation last night were Bogs shoulder-checked Schroder in the air on one of his drives and another where Wall dove into defenders going vertical and missed his shot. The first is a foul, and the second is not. Calling fouls on both cases isn't "calling it the same"; it's rewarding poor defensive technique.
Peja Stojakovic
Starter
And1: 2,939

Post#527 » by Peja Stojakovic » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:54 pm

fizdale is jokes

Read on Twitter
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#528 » by Chinook » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:51 am

Vince didn't touch him. #GotRooked
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,536

Post#529 » by Mamba Mentality » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:54 am

looks like the officials heard Fizdale loud and clear
Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,224

Post#530 » by Rust_Cohle » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:58 am

Big time but this was bound to happen
DoubleO8
Rookie
And1: 308

Post#531 » by DoubleO8 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:01 am

Eww Aldridge is so soft.
Fico92
Sixth Man
And1: 2,361

Post#532 » by Fico92 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:02 am

That dunk by Kawow...

Lol @Gasol launching the ball into the padding behind hoop and no T...

Fizdale would have had a seizure if someone on Spurs did it.
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#533 » by Yankeeknickfan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:06 am

Fico92 wrote:That dunk by Kawow...

Lol @Gasol launching the ball into the padding behind hoop and no T...

Fizdale would have had a seizure if someone on Spurs did it.

That's a delay of game every time

He didn't do in because of a ref call
Imageceltics
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Post#534 » by Yankeeknickfan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:06 am

I thought that Memphis would at least be competitive
Imageceltics
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#535 » by BallerTalk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:07 am

I am convinced that Kawhi Leonard travels more than any other player in the league.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
JohnWillow
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,702

Post#536 » by JohnWillow » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:17 am

fathead :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Celtics fan. :crazy:
We also face the Kings twice in the near future. I think it's time Yabu pays back some of that free money he's been given his entire career and bounces Fox for a nice 2 week ankle sprain.
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,144

Post#537 » by Cubbies2120 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:17 am

BallerTalk wrote:I am convinced that Kawhi Leonard travels more than any other player in the league.

It just crab dribble m8, tbh.
Fico92
Sixth Man
And1: 2,361

Post#538 » by Fico92 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:27 am

BallerTalk wrote:I am convinced that Kawhi Leonard travels more than any other player in the league.

After watching Harden literally switch his pivot foot 5 times at half court with his back to the basket with the ref literally a couple feet away staring at him...I somehow doubt it :lol:
DROB27
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,119

Post#539 » by DROB27 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:31 am

lol Memphis crying again
Chinook
Head Coach

Post#540 » by Chinook » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:32 am

Ennis grabbed Kawhi by the neck, and Marc shoved him down. But not a foul according to the crowd.

Return to The General Board