WCQF | (1) Golden State Warriors vs Portland Trailblazers (8) | GSW 4-0

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Series Prediction

Warriors in 4
53%
Warriors in 5
30%
Warriors in 6
5%
Warriors in 7
0%
Trailblazers in 4
4%
Trailblazers in 5
1%
Trailblazers in 6
4%
Trailblazers in 7
3%

Total votes: 409

Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Re: WCQF | (1) Golden State Warriors vs Portland Trailblazers (8) | GSW 2-0 

Post#1381 » by Wonderllama » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:54 am

Rest KD for the rest of the series. 2 games off will do him good
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Re: RE: Re: WCQF | (1) Golden State Warriors vs Portland Trailblazers (8) | GSW 1-0 

Post#1382 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:55 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
B-Ball Freak wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Hes been doing it all year long.

The little spin around lay up off the glass?

Hes shown a few low post moves throughout the year. But ya ill admit he hasnt pulled that one out all year long haha.

McGee can also hit jump shots.

I argued this years ago on the Wizards board. He might not have good percentages and I know he's never had a green light to shoot away from the basket.

I have seen him display good shooting mechanics. Even on his jump shot.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#1383 » by Dupp » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:55 am

This team is so unbelievably stacked. Imagine another team missing a player of Durants caliber or even their best player and still winning a playoff game by 30.

Draymond is a freak. He's too good.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,943

Post#1384 » by Tim Lehrbach » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:56 am

OP: "Trail Blazers" = two words.

(And two quick losses. :()
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
linkz1993
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#1385 » by linkz1993 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:58 am

Dupp wrote:This team is so unbelievably stacked. Imagine another team missing a player of Durants caliber or even their best player and still winning a playoff game by 30.

They still need Durant..
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1386 » by Mylie10 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:58 am

Roy The Natural wrote:Layman is extremely athletic. If he works his ass off this summer, i honestly believe he can come back as a rotation player. His shot is pretty, but he needs to nail it down, and as most young players do, he needs to learn to score through contact better. But for a 2nd round pick, I think he has a ton of tools.

I like Layman a lot. Also like Connaughton.....not sure I spelled that correctly. But both of those guys should play more Imo. Vonleh sucks and Harkless is so hit or miss.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Roy The Natural
RealGM
And1: 5,421

Post#1387 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 am

and1GS wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
and1GS wrote:Yaaaaawn.

FWIW the Blazers have a great core, I'm a huge fan of Dame/CJ/Nurk/Crabbe. I think if they could get a versatile, rangey, star-level 3 they could seriously vault up to a top 3 seed. Then higher once the bench gets filled out. Defensively I do worry about that backcourt, but those guys are such well-rounded offensive players I think you just build the rest of the team to hide that.

That said...Nurk has been great, but let's be real. He's not the savior that would push this series to 6-7 games. It's not like skilled bigs are our kryptonite like they were in the '07 Jazz series. Very good player that would improve the level of play, but this is a sweep all the way unless Dame/CJ go for 75-80 gain and get a huge contribution from 2-3 other players, which could push it to 5.

Probably not yet. I do think Nurkic's potential is pretty ridiculous. I'm not sure I can really name a stronger player in the NBA. Maybe Drummond, but I've seen him move Drummond before as well. Nurkic has to work on tightening his game up though. Only way Blazers take this to 6 is if Nurkic comes back (healthy and without rust) and Lillard and McCollum go nuclear at home over the next 2 games. Fully expect a sweep though. Portland can't compete whatsoever with no front court and Crabbe limping around.

Edit: Also if Durant doesn't return in addition.

Crabbe's hurt? That explains a lot. He's such a useful player strong frame, nice range, solid defense and looks so comfortable on or off the ball. I was surprised he wasn't killing us (again). Elite 6 man that doesn't get enough respect.

Nurkic is tantalizing for sure. What type of 4 plays with him though? I've only seen him play maybe once or twice, but know there was that whole mess with Jokic. I'd assume you get a Terrence Jones/Patrick Patterson type, who can spread the floor and at least be tall, or maybe a defense first player who's closer to the hoop? Maybe even a more premium option like Ibaka could be a fit for longer than a year. It'a a delicate situation because you guys have three stars and need to build out depth from there.

The positive is that the core is the hardest thing to get right! Just look at Boston :(

I have no reservations about Nurkic defensively, he's huge, but really nimble for a man his size. He seem s to track guards for blocks and contests with ease in the paint. Offensively, his jump shot IMO is ready to go. His set shot looks great, within 2 years, I'd estimate it as a solid weapon for him. He's been crazy effective as a roll man, and is absolutely intimidating barreling down the lane, and actually shows good vision to pass to the short corner out of his rolls. Honestly his post ups are probably the part of his offensive game that need the most work, he easily establishes position, and moves defenders. But he often rushes his shots, and needs to really tighten up his handle from the post, but shows obvious tremendous potential with his back to the basket because he's just such a natural bully in the post. I honestly believe that an Aaron Gordon type player is perfectly capable of being a front court mate with him. I'm still reserving hope that Vonleh has a chance to develop into a guy who can hit open shots, and I already believe he's a pretty versatile defender from 1-4 and can rebound. I don't think Nurkic needs a stretch 4... but rather a rangy extra defender who can hit open jumpers at a respectable rate, but I don't think he fully needs a deadeye to stretch the floor. He's really shown a lot of offensive versatility IMO... even if it's not fully refined yet.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1388 » by Tim Lehrbach » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:05 am

Roy The Natural wrote:I don't think Nurkic needs a stretch 4... but rather a rangy extra defender who can hit open jumpers at a respectable rate.

In other words, he needs (and we need) what Vonleh is supposed to be. This series (and often, really), we're learning Noah is not quite ready for prime time. Next year, then... or do the Blazers move on and try to upgrade at power forward? Tough choice. I'm inclined to give Vonleh one more year, but I'd be lying if I said I was satisfied with where he's at or confident going ahead with him.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

couchie
Pro Prospect
And1: 495

Post#1389 » by couchie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:06 am

Good team win tonight. Game balls to McGee and McCaw.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#1390 » by Mylie10 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:10 am

This might be blasphemous, but I would trade Lillard for a huge package. His value is extremely high and could get your more than McCollum. And I personally think McCollum is more complete as a player.

Trading Lillard at the time of the draft could reap huge benefits.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Warriors07
Rookie
And1: 750

Post#1391 » by Warriors07 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:11 am

Dupp wrote:This team is so unbelievably stacked. Imagine another team missing a player of Durants caliber or even their best player and still winning a playoff game by 30.

it's called teamwork, chemistry, leadership from the right collection of players. Curry made players around him better, Dray made players around him better, same with Andre, then Klay the perfect 2-way player, and KD, McGee, Zaza, Shawn all understand their roles to make the team better.

This is not stacking superstars to make a team, this is developing a team into superstar players (exception of KD of course). Curry was the one led the way w/ his abilities and unselfishness, a unique type of leadership. Followed by Klay who was nothing but a pure shooter. Dray who was nothing but a garbage man. Andre who was declining and couldnt make a shot. Livingston the injured journeyman. McGee who was just a joke. KD was the only big free agent signing in recent years. Can't take anything away from this team's success, was nothing easy
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#1392 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:11 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:I don't think Nurkic needs a stretch 4... but rather a rangy extra defender who can hit open jumpers at a respectable rate.

In other words, he needs (and we need) what Vonleh is supposed to be. This series (and often, really), we're learning Noah is not quite ready for prime time. Next year, then... or do the Blazers move on and try to upgrade at power forward? Tough choice. I'm inclined to give Vonleh one more year, but I'd be lying if I said I was satisfied with where he's at or confident going ahead with him.

Absolutely. I think Vonleh can be a solid role player. He's just extremely dependent on having the right pieces around him right now, and perhaps forever. I think the Blazers biggest issues are getting "other stuff" from their bigs when Nurkic is off the floor. Someone who can provide a modicum of interior threat when he's off the floor, and someone who can provide a modicum of defensive presence when he's off the floor. Ed Davis did a respectable job of both those things last year, and he might be worth keeping around into next year to see if he can retain that form. I'd think the Blazers should load up on bigs this draft and see if they can find something that provides them depth at the 4/5. A consolidation of their picks and perhaps players to move up and grab Zach Collins could be a franchise changer if he pans out to the potential he's shown in colllege.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,397

Post#1393 » by 76ciology » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:13 am

Warriors07 wrote:

it's called teamwork, chemistry, leadership from the right collection of players. Curry made players around him better, Dray made players around him better, same with Andre, then Klay the perfect 2-way player, and KD, McGee, Zaza, Shawn all understand their roles to make the team better.

This is not stacking superstars to make a team, this is developing a team into superstar players (exception of KD of course). Curry was the one led the way w/ his abilities and unselfishness, a unique type of leadership. Followed by Klay who was nothing but a pure shooter. Dray who was nothing but a garbage man. Andre who was declining and couldnt make a shot. Livingston the injured journeyman. McGee who was just a joke. KD was the only big free agent signing in recent years. Can't take anything away from this team's success, was nothing easy

Everything is easy when pressure is minimized or distributed
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Roy The Natural
RealGM

Post#1394 » by Roy The Natural » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:14 am

Mylie10 wrote:This might be blasphemous, but I would trade Lillard for a huge package. His value is extremely high and could get your more than McCollum. And I personally think McCollum is more complete as a player.

There's absolutely no chance or reason to trade Lillard for draft picks. McCollum is going to be 26 next year. If Lillard is moved, it needs to be for a player who fits within the timeline... or the Blazers should think of blowing it up and grabbing a veritably **** of draft picks for both and perhaps Nurkic, and just have lottery picks left and right. I don't think moving Lillard for a pick is a smart move though, the team is too far off that time line im.
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Re: RE: Re: WCQF | (1) Golden State Warriors vs Portland Trailblazers (8) | GSW 1-0 

Post#1395 » by OptionZero » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:15 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
B-Ball Freak wrote:
The little spin around lay up off the glass?

Hes shown a few low post moves throughout the year. But ya ill admit he hasnt pulled that one out all year long haha.

McGee can also hit jump shots.

I argued this years ago on the Wizards board. He might not have good percentages and I know he's never had a green light to shoot away from the basket.

I have seen him display good shooting mechanics. Even on his jump shot.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app

I'm not sure what scenario you're thinking of in which a Mcgee jump shot is better than . . . nearly anything else GSW can get, PARTICULARLY against a bad PDX defense.

Hell, even a mcgee POST-up is better against PDX than a mcgee jumper since PDX has no rim protection. Mcgee could brick a post up shot and just put back an offensive rebound, a jumper would leave him away from the rim.

Lots of dudes "could" shoot in practice. Doesn't translate to a game, and certainly not when there are better options
OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#1396 » by OptionZero » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:16 am

Bigtime factor:
Tony brothers and scott foster BOTH reffed this game and GSW won.

They will inevitably ref future GSW games but it's important to win as many as possible to get it out of the way. Also it helps their psyche since last year they were clearly psyched out by the refs (self-inflicted wound)
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#1397 » by Mylie10 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:17 am

Roy The Natural wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:This might be blasphemous, but I would trade Lillard for a huge package. His value is extremely high and could get your more than McCollum. And I personally think McCollum is more complete as a player.

There's absolutely no chance or reason to trade Lillard for draft picks. McCollum is going to be 26 next year. If Lillard is moved, it needs to be for a player who fits within the timeline... or the Blazers should think of blowing it up and grabbing a veritably **** of draft picks for both and perhaps Nurkic, and just have lottery picks left and right. I don't think moving Lillard for a pick is a smart move though, the team is too far off that time line im.

Depends on the pick and potential player. Nurkic and McCollum, Crabbe, a few others are still very young. You could trade Lillard for a package that might net you a good pick and solid players to make money work. There are several teams dying for a solid point guard like Lillard.
Khoee wrote “
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1398 » by Tim Lehrbach » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:18 am

McCollum is not "more complete as a player" than Lillard, really. As a Warriors fan, I'd think you should be able to appreciate the gravity that Lillard brings to the offense not only by his shooting but also from his overall activity, whereas CJ is almost strictly a one-on-one savant. Not everybody agrees, but these two are actually terrific complements for one another. I'd hate to see them broken up, unless somebody offers an even better, win-now sorta player for one of them.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#1399 » by bakesale » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:25 am

Interesting take.

I would disagree that McCollum is a more complete player than Lillard though. Lillard is a better leader and playmaker, ie he makes his team go, whereas McCollum is more of a complementary player. I don't have the stats on me but I'd guess that Lillard is better at finishing at the rim too.

Both aren't great defenders however again going with my eyeball test I reckon Lillard's is better.

There's a reason why Lillard is more valuable...
bakesale
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,776

Post#1400 » by bakesale » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:26 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:

McCollum is not "more complete as a player" than Lillard, really. As a Warriors fan, I'd think you should be able to appreciate the gravity that Lillard brings to the offense not only by his shooting but also from his overall activity, whereas CJ is almost strictly a one-on-one savant. Not everybody agrees, but these two are actually terrific complements for one another. I'd hate to see them broken up, unless somebody offers an even better, win-now sorta player for one of them.

This.

Return to The General Board