ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

BringBackLj!
Analyst
And1: 93

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#2281 » by BringBackLj! » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:43 am

Am i the only one who's sees giancarlo Stanton and Judge as the same player. I know its a few games in, but Judge made huge improvements compared to last year when he struck out always. He's so much more patient and for the most part usually puts up good Abs even when he KOS. He will KO a lot his strike zone is huge, but he's not really chasing anymore and getting in good counts.

Bird is back, he had 3 solid hit balls today even thou he only had 1hit i believe. That Sanchez Bird Holiday Judge middle should be nasty, if didi is back also. Yankees should put up a lot of crooked numbers. Our Starters have been beyond solid lately, and our bullpen is lights out.

I wonder if the Yankees are close to 1st or 2nd in division by trade deadline if they try and add for a run.
"You Know me dog i just wanna keep the peace, stop saying my name thats only gon lead to beef"
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#2282 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:09 am

BringBackLj! wrote:Am i the only one who's sees giancarlo Stanton and Judge as the same player. I know its a few games in, but Judge made huge improvements compared to last year when he struck out always. He's so much more patient and for the most part usually puts up good Abs even when he KOS. He will KO a lot his strike zone is huge, but he's not really chasing anymore and getting in good counts.

Bird is back, he had 3 solid hit balls today even thou he only had 1hit i believe. That Sanchez Bird Holiday Judge middle should be nasty, if didi is back also. Yankees should put up a lot of crooked numbers. Our Starters have been beyond solid lately, and our bullpen is lights out.

I wonder if the Yankees are close to 1st or 2nd in division by trade deadline if they try and add for a run.

I really hope that if they are first or 2nd In the division we stay put unless we can make a move that makes sense without losing any prospects. If you think about it, the current roster as constructed doesn't have many weak points.

OF: Gardy/Jacoby/Judge/Hicks/Holliday then you have Frazier possibly on the Cusp. Could look to move Gardy maybe but we've been trying to do that and no luck.

IF: Headly has been a weakness in the past, but is playing great so far to start the season. Castro is playing great. Have Bird at first and Didi when he comes back at short. Catchers we seem in pretty good shape once Sanchez comes back. Also Romine has been playing very well with his opportunity. Torres can be a solid utility backup this year.

SP: Tanaka has looked better, Sevarino has looked great, CC has been better then expected, Pineda has been pretty good and Montgomery has looked decent. If our Starters continue at this pace (I know its early) then they wont be as much as a weakness as everybody thought.

BP: Nothing to really say here.

My point is...yes it would be great to make a run at the world series this year, I just don't want to put a dent in our farm to do so. Let the young guys play, evaluate the team and lets make a big splash next year in free agency and get Bryce Harper and maybe Manny Machado. Our Farm system is the strongest its been in years, lets keep it that way and save our money for free agents once our young guys are more experienced and more developed.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#2283 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 am

The way Judge crushes the ball is a sight to behold!
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#2284 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:37 am

BringBackLj! wrote:Am i the only one who's sees giancarlo Stanton and Judge as the same player. I know its a few games in, but Judge made huge improvements compared to last year when he struck out always. He's so much more patient and for the most part usually puts up good Abs even when he KOS. He will KO a lot his strike zone is huge, but he's not really chasing anymore and getting in good counts.

They are similar, but Judge is more of a freak. Dude is 6'7 which is bonkers for baseball.

Also let's be careful to stay measured in our excitement, a lot of baseball left to go still.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Post#2285 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:49 pm

I'm trying to temper my hype for this team and Judge specifically but the fact that Sanchez and Didi aren't even in the line-up yet and the team is playing this well makes it hard...just gotta remind myself this ain't a track meet. Most fun watching Yankee games I've had in about 5 years.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#2286 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:09 pm

Bryce Harper is definitely putting on a showcase as I am almost convinced Cashman will sign this talented jerk.

I'm just wondering what Cashman is thinking regarding starting pitching in the next two seasons.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#2287 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:15 pm

j4remi wrote:I'm trying to temper my hype for this team and Judge specifically but the fact that Sanchez and Didi aren't even in the line-up yet and the team is playing this well makes it hard...just gotta remind myself this ain't a track meet. Most fun watching Yankee games I've had in about 5 years.

I too, struggle with keeping my expectations modest. Dave Winfield had Judge's frame with the same lumbering swing but Winfield rarely struck out. That's Judge's high bar. If he can hit a modest .250 with 20-25 hrs and 50-65 RBIs in his first full season, I will be extremely pleased.

Sanchez will get back on track, he was getting there until he was hurt. Didi is going to have a break out season.

Bird is the wild card. He needs to just focus on making contact and taking what's there. The Yanks just need him to hit for average.

What's crazy is the fact the Yanks haven't even called up Torres and Clint "Hawkeye" Frazier.

I still think Cashman will make a splash and go hard after Bryce.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Post#2288 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:I too, struggle with keeping my expectations modest. Dave Winfield had Judge's frame with the same lumbering swing but Winfield rarely struck out. That's Judge's high bar. If he can hit a modest .250 with 20-25 hrs and 50-65 RBIs in his first full season, I will be extremely pleased.

Sanchez will get back on track, he was getting there until he was hurt. Didi is going to have a break out season.

Bird is the wild card. He needs to just focus on making contact and taking what's there. The Yanks just need him to hit for average.

What's crazy is the fact the Yanks haven't even called up Torres and Clint "Hawkeye" Frazier.

I like that modest projection, he's bound to have ups and downs. Keeping the end result realistic will just mean if he keeps things up, pleasant surprises later.

Sanchez and Didi are two I'm really confident in, especially if the bats around them stay as potent as they have been so far. There's solid protection in the line-up. Bird, I never got hype for but hearing everyone else talk about him and his work ethic plus a nice Spring has me way more interested to watch him grow. With Torres and Frazier and then some waiting, it's exciting as hell to think about what this roster could look like a year from now.

I don't want Harper..I wouldn't mind giving Machado a long look though but I really think if we're gonna spend it should be to solidify the rotation. Our pitchers have really done a solid job lately but I'm skeptical.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
BringBackLj!
Analyst
And1: 93

Post#2289 » by BringBackLj! » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:19 pm

j4remi wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:I too, struggle with keeping my expectations modest. Dave Winfield had Judge's frame with the same lumbering swing but Winfield rarely struck out. That's Judge's high bar. If he can hit a modest .250 with 20-25 hrs and 50-65 RBIs in his first full season, I will be extremely pleased.

I like that modest projection, he's bound to have ups and downs. Keeping the end result realistic will just mean if he keeps things up, pleasant surprises later.

Sanchez and Didi are two I'm really confident in, especially if the bats around them stay as potent as they have been so far. There's solid protection in the line-up. Bird, I never got hype for but hearing everyone else talk about him and his work ethic plus a nice Spring has me way more interested to watch him grow. With Torres and Frazier and then some waiting, it's exciting as hell to think about what this roster could look like a year from now.

I don't want Harper..I wouldn't mind giving Machado a long look though but I really think if we're gonna spend it should be to solidify the rotation. Our pitchers have really done a solid job lately but I'm skeptical.

So take it with a grain of salt, but lets say i know somehow who works for Yankees front office. Yankees love Bryce and will do everything to make him a Yankee, unless he decides to stay in WAS, the Yanks will do there part and they believe the feeling is mutual.
Also don't be surprised if the Yankees sign 2 huge players that offseason.

I wouldn't give any pitcher a long term deal, arms are so fragile now a days. If Tanaka opts out, and ask for crazy money the Yankees will not be in. So our rotation next year is super suspect, hopefully Sheffield can become a Front of the line guy.
"You Know me dog i just wanna keep the peace, stop saying my name thats only gon lead to beef"
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#2290 » by Mecca » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Bryce Harper is definitely putting on a showcase as I am almost convinced Cashman will sign this talented jerk.

I'm just wondering what Cashman is thinking regarding starting pitching in the next two seasons.

He's going to copy the Cubs strategy. Go after innings eaters in the rotation and outhit everyone.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,779

Post#2291 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:39 pm

I'd rather the Yanks go after Machado. He's experienced, yet he' TURNS 25 this year. If the Yankees sign him, that's a 25/26 year old, which means getting all of his peak. Now, Harper is young too. Actually about 100 days younger, is all. Now, Harper has had the MVP year, and a few "what if" years if he wasn't hurt, but they are THAT far apart statistically speaking. Harper does walk a ton more and can steal some bases.

But IF Frazier pans out in the OF, or even Mateo as a CF,Fowler, who looks like he could man CF and even McKinney, that's 4 prospects.
I know there are two spots to fill in the OF eventually, but I think there is a good chance 2 of the 4 above make it. Then there's Rutherford

I mean, Headly is having a nice year, but he's average at best and getting older.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#2292 » by Mecca » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:48 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:I'd rather the Yanks go after Machado. He's experienced, yet he' TURNS 25 this year. If the Yankees sign him, that's a 25/26 year old, which means getting all of his peak. Now, Harper is young too. Actually about 100 days younger, is all. Now, Harper has had the MVP year, and a few "what if" years if he wasn't hurt, but they are THAT far apart statistically speaking. Harper does walk a ton more and can steal some bases.

But IF Frazier pans out in the OF, or even Mateo as a CF,Fowler, who looks like he could man CF and even McKinney, that's 4 prospects.
I know there are two spots to fill in the OF eventually, but I think there is a good chance 2 of the 4 above make it. Then there's Rutherford

I mean, Headly is having a nice year, but he's average at best and getting older.

Where does Castro fit in the equation with Gleybar? He looks like he's here to stay
Brooklyn Nets
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#2293 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:52 pm

Mecca wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:I'd rather the Yanks go after Machado. He's experienced, yet he' TURNS 25 this year. If the Yankees sign him, that's a 25/26 year old, which means getting all of his peak. Now, Harper is young too. Actually about 100 days younger, is all. Now, Harper has had the MVP year, and a few "what if" years if he wasn't hurt, but they are THAT far apart statistically speaking. Harper does walk a ton more and can steal some bases.

Where does Castro fit in the equation with Gleybar? He looks like he's here to stay

I honestly don't know. I was having this conversation with myself in that "good problem to have" kind of way. I'd say they at least keep Castro until Gleybar can be called up after that cost controlled date. Also, I can see Castro getting the whole year. It's funny, as a lot of fans were down on Castro, but he's a pretty solid hitter and fielder for a 2nd baseman, not even his original position. But he's not going to stand in the way if a supposed generation talent like Gleybar starts pushing. My guess is he's dealt in the offseason and nets an "ok" pitcher and some farm depth.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#2294 » by N8isScofield » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Mecca wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Bryce Harper is definitely putting on a showcase as I am almost convinced Cashman will sign this talented jerk.

He's going to copy the Cubs strategy. Go after innings eaters in the rotation and outhit everyone.

That strategy is easier to employ in the NL though. You need more pitching to get through the tougher lineups in the AL.
N8isScofield
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,498

Post#2295 » by N8isScofield » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:28 pm

You sign the better player, period. You can always trade Frazier for a premium arm. We might could realistically get 80- 100 HRs a season from the corner outfielders and catcher if we sign Bryce. That decreases the need for a power bat at 3B. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy with either but Harper is the slightly better player IMO and I think given the projected depth of the lineup it makes more sense to cash in on our glut of outfield prospects to address the starting pitching than sign a 3B and not have all of those chips to play.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#2296 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:33 pm

N8isScofield wrote:

You sign the better player, period. You can always trade Frazier for a premium arm. We might could realistically get 80- 100 HRs a season from the corner outfielders and catcher if we sign Bryce. That decreases the need for a power bat at 3B. Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy with either but Harper is the slightly better player IMO and I think given the projected depth of the lineup it makes more sense to cash in on our glut of outfield prospects to address the starting pitching than sign a 3B and not have all of those chips to play.

I could see this. I'm just not sure they are that far apart and 3B is harder position to fill with a big bat. Not impossible, but harder than OF.
I wouldn't lose any sleep if the Yankees sign Harper though :D

Another thing, of the guys I listed:
Frazier - may turn out +
Mateo - could be a stretch he turns out well as a converted OF. Also a chance the Yankees still see him somewhere in the IF (though Didi's rise sort of makes it difficult)
Fowler - really seems he could make a good LF/CF Gardner replacement.
McKinney - seems like a 4th outfielder, not really in the starting conversation, I think.

So, it's really Frazier or Fowler for one slot, if Harper signs, probably.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#2297 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Mecca wrote:

I don't think yankees are keeping Castro in that case
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#2298 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:18 pm

I'd prefer Machado to Harper as well. But we've been hearing rumors on Harper for a while. As they say where there's smoke there's fire. Nationals are not going to give him up without a fight though.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#2299 » by DickGrayson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:38 pm

Trade Headley while he's hot.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#2300 » by Mecca » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:19 am

DickGrayson wrote:Trade Headley while he's hot.

I'd wait until June. If he's still hitting someone might take his contract and even give a prospect back.
Brooklyn Nets

Return to New York Knicks