ImageImageImageImageImage

Melo Trade Thread Offseason Edition 1

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,426

Re: Melo Trade Thread Offseason Edition 1 

Post#321 » by ImSlower » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:21 pm

knicks85 wrote:
ImSlower wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:What about the Bulls if they offered the 16th pick, Valentine, and Portis?

Melo would get to team up with his boy Wade and actually make the playoffs

I dont love the deal. I'd rather trade him to Boston for Brown or Lakers for Russell or Heat for Winslow and the 14th.

Melo in MIA would be good for him because its a nice location thats good for his brand, he would have a great coach, a chance to contend. Say we were to get Winslow and the 14th, I'd trade Lee, KOQ for more picks and try to move up to get another top 10. In 2013 draft it took the 14th and 21st pick to move up to 9. I think we could get a pick in the 20's for Lee, maybe an early 2nd for KOQ too

I'm so scared that Wade and Butler are going to say they want Melo. It'd be such a terrible, terrible fit. There's still a healthy contingent of Bulls fans back in our playground that think he'd magically start playing tenacious defense at the 4 and unselfish offense in our system. We'd be getting jump balls called between our own teammates every fourth quarter as Butler, Melo, and Wade all wrestled over the ball every possession.

honestly, did you believe rondo would be a good fit?

Rondo is one of my least favorite players of all time, so I have an enormous personal bias against him since the day he signed with us. He looked absolutely awful for most of the regular season. But I give him must respect for saying the right things, and coming alive here in the post-season. But, no, I don't believe he is a good fit whatsoever for Butler and Wade. Fit doesn't matter as much as vet presence and a hot hand in the playoffs, though.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#322 » by knickstape4ever » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:25 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:the leverage we have is that we dont have to trade Melo for nothing. Obviously Phil didn't get a good enough deal at the deadline so he held on to Melo. We dont have to trade him because its not like he's getting in the way of us accumulating young talent. Believe it or not Melo can actually help a playoff team...just not as the #1 or on a team like the Heat that is very well coached and defensively can cover up for Melo's woes by playing him at the 4 next to Whiteside

honestly I believe the best way to use the leverage is have a date. Say we are trading Melo on this date and we have a list of 5 or 6 teams that melo will approve being traded to. Make it a blind bid. Say submit your best offer by this time and we will accept what we feel is the best offer.

That could make some teams panic and say do we really want to miss out on a chance to get Melo who can help us because we weren't willing to part with one more asset.

It's like people selling a house who don't live there anymore. You know they need to sell the house but at least if you have multiple bidders you can use there varying levels of interest against them. Its clear we will be getting .50 cents on the dollar for melo. I'm cool with that but prying as many assets as possible is the goal here.

i think that tactic could definitely work if you have a guarantee from Melo that he'd accept a trade to a certain list and that once we'd receive all offers we can just choose the best one and waiving his no trade would just be formality
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#323 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:25 pm

iLovethosedamnknicks wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
iLovethosedamnknicks wrote:Okc needs melo bad. But the SOB won't waive his trade clause to go there. Oladipo for. Melo makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you wouldn't either.

Tru

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol: i know i damn sure wouldn't.

the term "flyover state" exists for a reason. OKC has a couple chill spots, but i'm good.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,193

Post#324 » by mpharris36 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:36 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:the leverage we have is that we dont have to trade Melo for nothing. Obviously Phil didn't get a good enough deal at the deadline so he held on to Melo. We dont have to trade him because its not like he's getting in the way of us accumulating young talent. Believe it or not Melo can actually help a playoff team...just not as the #1 or on a team like the Heat that is very well coached and defensively can cover up for Melo's woes by playing him at the 4 next to Whiteside

honestly I believe the best way to use the leverage is have a date. Say we are trading Melo on this date and we have a list of 5 or 6 teams that melo will approve being traded to. Make it a blind bid. Say submit your best offer by this time and we will accept what we feel is the best offer.

That could make some teams panic and say do we really want to miss out on a chance to get Melo who can help us because we weren't willing to part with one more asset.

It's like people selling a house who don't live there anymore. You know they need to sell the house but at least if you have multiple bidders you can use there varying levels of interest against them. Its clear we will be getting .50 cents on the dollar for melo. I'm cool with that but prying as many assets as possible is the goal here.

i think that tactic could definitely work if you have a guarantee from Melo that he'd accept a trade to a certain list and that once we'd receive all offers we can just choose the best one and waiving his no trade would just be formality

its the only way I see us getting somewhat fair value because if you just are negotiating with a team and other teams drop out you lose leverage because you already have a limited amount of teams interested.

If you do some kind of a blind bidding...teams will have to determine what other teams might offer to not get outbid.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#325 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:21 pm

alphad0gz wrote:
J_LA wrote:
alphad0gz wrote:
Lol..I bet you would.....especially since KOQ is worth more than the pick, Lee cancels Nance, Deng is worth the 2nd round, which means it comes down to Melo for Clarkson..plus we take on Deng's horrible contract. Pass in a big way.

Lee does not cancel Nance. Lee is 31. Nance is 24
Lee will probably start to decline before Nance even reaches his prime.

Nance just isn't that good. Lee has several years left and is a very solid player. Nance is good for the occasional highlight.

age is totally overrated on this board when looking at players
its astounding

but Nance is a solid prospect
he plays pretty good D, doesnt need the ball, and moves well without the ball

I think he's a solid piece in a trade
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#326 » by blueNorange » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:28 pm

except melo has said he doesn't want to play power forward, which is why he hasn't played that position in 3 years outside of a few moments here and there during games.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
alphad0gz
Analyst
And1: 405

Post#327 » by alphad0gz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:04 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
alphad0gz wrote:
J_LA wrote:.

Lee does not cancel Nance. Lee is 31. Nance is 24
Lee will probably start to decline before Nance even reaches his prime.

Nance just isn't that good. Lee has several years left and is a very solid player. Nance is good for the occasional highlight.

its astounding

You're better than that. What does he offer? He'll be 25 next year....is a career 25% 3pt guy, 50% from , mostly dunks and layups, not great defender or rebounder. Tell me again how he is a solid pc.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#328 » by BowlRips » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:11 pm

How about
Deng, Randle, Clarkson, 27th
For
Melo, O'Quinn, 44th
J_LA
Junior
And1: 289

Post#329 » by J_LA » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Started out the season as our defensive anchor off the bench, when our bench was the best in the league for the first 20 games.
Went down with a knee injury and our bench was never really the same. Not saying he is the only reason for that, but losing him was huge blow. He missed about 20 games. Took him a while to get comfortable again but when he did, he was solid for us.
I know its a small sample but as a starter the final 7 games or so, he averaged about 10 points, 10 rebounds, with 2 steals and a block.

Nobody on our team is mistaking him for some kind of future all star, but he definitely has value as a role player.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#330 » by NoLayupRule » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:43 pm

alphad0gz wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
alphad0gz wrote:

its astounding

You're better than that. What does he offer? He'll be 25 next year....is a career 25% 3pt guy, 50% from , mostly dunks and layups, not great defender or rebounder. Tell me again how he is a solid pc.
hes far from a corner stone or a player you build around but Phil has destroyed Melos value to the point where a guy like Nance and the rockets pick might be as good as we can get without taking on salary

I see more talent in Randal and think he fits well with KP and Willy in a three man rotation.

But nance is a worker, plays d, rebounds, runs and moves well without the ball. He could fit here.

Again I want much more for melo but I'm not certain we will be getting it
sogood
Analyst
And1: 5,095

Post#331 » by sogood » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:58 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:What about the Bulls if they offered the 16th pick, Valentine, and Portis?

Melo would get to team up with his boy Wade and actually make the playoffs

I dont love the deal. I'd rather trade him to Boston for Brown or Lakers for Russell or Heat for Winslow and the 14th.

Melo in MIA would be good for him because its a nice location thats good for his brand, he would have a great coach, a chance to contend. Say we were to get Winslow and the 14th, I'd trade Lee, KOQ for more picks and try to move up to get another top 10. In 2013 draft it took the 14th and 21st pick to move up to 9. I think we could get a pick in the 20's for Lee, maybe an early 2nd for KOQ too

Pretty sure we all would but that **** ain't happening.
knicksup19
Pro Prospect
And1: 200

Post#332 » by knicksup19 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:46 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:What are the chances, Melo focuses all his energy on basketball, after his personal life become a mess..

Grows a beard, trains in the woods all summer, comes back, and becomes an MVP!

5/10 with a double sided coin with the option he wont.
ImageThe big three in the House!!! LOL]
knicksup19
Pro Prospect
And1: 200

Post#333 » by knicksup19 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:46 pm

BowlRips wrote:How about
For
Melo, O'Quinn, 44th

deal buy lal would be foolish to give up randle..
ImageThe big three in the House!!! LOL]
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#334 » by King of Canada » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 pm

blueNorange wrote:

except melo has said he doesn't want to play power forward, which is why he hasn't played that position in 3 years outside of a few moments here and there during games.

Maybe if we change the name to "Awesome Forward" or something like that he'll go for it :lol:
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
R-S-M
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#335 » by R-S-M » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Wonder if Wiz would want to take a chance and if he would waive clause for them. They are winning and he can go "home." Perhaps, a three way trade.
"Everything negative - pressure, challenges - is all an opportunity for me to rise." "I'm chasing perfection. "
-Kobe Bryant
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#336 » by King of Canada » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:24 pm

R-S-M wrote:Wonder if Wiz would want to take a chance and if he would waive clause for them. They are winning and he can go "home." Perhaps, a three way trade.

It will certainly open some doors with the cap going up again. We don't necessarily have to have equal dollar value coming back.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
alphad0gz
Analyst
And1: 405

Post#337 » by alphad0gz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:51 pm

knicksup19 wrote:
For
Melo, O'Quinn, 44th

deal buy lal would be foolish to give up randle..

Randle is one of those rare players where team is worse on offense AND defense when he is on the court. A net of 7.2 pts.....jus sayin'
yanuary
Rookie
And1: 608

Post#338 » by yanuary » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 pm

For
Melo, O'Quinn, 44th

Remove Randle and O'Quinn
Add Brewer and C.Lee

And we have a deal ;) (picks are 28th and 45th).
clyde21 wrote:sell high on Ingram, this is Zion's team now, there is no room for that black hole that is BI

clyde21 wrote:bench Ingram for NAW, already a better player
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,179

Post#339 » by DOT » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:58 pm

yanuary wrote:
For
Melo, O'Quinn, 44th

Add Brewer and C.Lee

So we give you a solid SG on a good contract, a still good but overpaid SF and a 2nd rounder for a bad contract, a useless player, a meh prospect, and basically a 2nd rounder?
Come on
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,811

Post#340 » by BigShot Bojan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:09 am

yanuary wrote:
For
Melo, O'Quinn, 44th

Add Brewer and C.Lee

The original trade was piss poor...this is just a wet turd
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.

Return to New York Knicks