ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks Offseason Preview for RealGM

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,643

Knicks Offseason Preview for RealGM 

Post#1 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi all!

My offseason preview for RealGM is up. Love to hear your thoughts!

http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/245688/2017-NBA-Offseason-Preview-New-York-Knicks

Full disclosure, this was written before Porzingis skipped his exit interview/meeting, but I don't think that means much for his future with the squad.

Thanks!

Smitty
NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,955

Re: Knicks Offseason Preview for RealGM 

Post#2 » by NYKinMIA » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:17 pm

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,104

Post#3 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:27 pm

Will it suck and be as biased as all your other Knick reviews? If so, can hardly contain my excitement at clicking on the link and reading all the analytical goodness inside.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#4 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:28 pm

Let me help everyone out who is too lazy to click and read the whole thing with the cliff notes version:

The Knicks suck.
The end.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,499

Post#5 » by Capn'O » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:40 pm

A little longish on what happened during the season (Murphy's law happened and the team sucked) but I think your concluding thoughts are correct. Depending on how you're reading the tea leaves this offseason will either be:

Just what the doctor has been ordering since Ewing left

or

More of the same, only worse

My theory since last summer has been that the Knicks were looking to give it one last go with Melo before moving towards a rebuild around the younger pieces. We'll see if it pans but if they go the other way I may finally have the incentive to find more useful things to do with my time. After RealGM rehab, of course.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Let me help everyone out who is too lazy to click and read the whole thing with the cliff notes version:

The Knicks suck.
The end.

Not exactly what I wrote. I love a lot of the young pieces. And, like any rational person, I think Porzingis is terrific too. The rest? Seems like it is time to head in a different direction.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#7 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:Let me help everyone out who is too lazy to click and read the whole thing with the cliff notes version:

The Knicks suck.
The end.

Not exactly what I wrote. I love a lot of the young pieces. And, like any rational person, I think Porzingis is terrific too. The rest? Seems like it is time to head in a different direction.

You won't get much argument here about that then.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#8 » by Capn'O » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Also, iirc, weren't you the one that went to summer league last year and reported back about how the team brass was split on direction? And are you goink again this year? That's a lot of what I've been basing my theories on.
BAF Clippers

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,162

Post#9 » by DOT » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:50 pm

You lost a lot of credibility calling LFT a big signing
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:50 pm

Capn'O wrote:Also, iirc, weren't you the one that went to summer league last year and reported back about how the team brass was split on direction? And are you goink again this year? That's a lot of what I've been basing my theories on.

Yes. I'll be at both Orlando and Las Vegas again. They haven't announced the teams for Orlando yet (where access is slightly better to team people since it is closed to the public), but it is expected that NY will be here again.

Same as last year, I'll share notes when I can!
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:53 pm

K-DOT wrote:You lost a lot of credibility calling LFT a big signing

More the value and length of the contract vs the impact. Although, oddly enough, it might still be the one that works out the best.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#12 » by Capn'O » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:54 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Also, iirc, weren't you the one that went to summer league last year and reported back about how the team brass was split on direction? And are you goink again this year? That's a lot of what I've been basing my theories on.

Yes. I'll be at both Orlando and Las Vegas again. They haven't announced the teams for Orlando yet (where access is slightly better to team people since it is closed to the public), but it is expected that NY will be here again.

Awesome. Your sharing of reconnaissance work last year was much appreciated.
BAF Clippers

Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:55 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:

I just hope they have another Summer League legend like Ron Baker or Marshall Plumlee again. I'm glad that wasn't just a line and both did end up making the team. Baker especially, who I think will be a good backup for years in the league.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by DOT » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:56 pm

Smitty731 wrote:

More the value and length of the contract vs the impact. Although, oddly enough, it might still be the one that works out the best.

He's a bench player being paid less than the MLE
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:57 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:

The new MLE yes. At the time it was higher than the Non-Taxpayer MLE by a decent amount. And he was also a targeted signing by the team as well.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by DOT » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:59 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:

The new MLE yes. At the time it was higher than the Non-Taxpayer MLE by a decent amount. And he was also a targeted signing by the team as well.

Okay, I understand your logic, but I disagree with it
BaF Lakers:

Evan Mobley/Tari Eason

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#17 » by Capn'O » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:00 am

Smitty731 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:

I just hope they have another Summer League legend like Ron Baker or Marshall Plumlee again. I'm glad that wasn't just a line and both did end up making the team. Baker especially, who I think will be a good backup for years in the league.

Yeah - he looks like he has a future in an Eric Snow type role.

Hard to tell if they'll go for undrafted guys again as they have a couple of 2nds this year in addition to their 1st. Last year no picks at all. I guess there are usually a bunch of seniors that didn't ever get picked for whatever reason so maybe they go that route again.
BAF Clippers

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#18 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:44 am

Smitty731 wrote:

Whisper to Phil to let Clarence do all the drafting and not to get all wacky picking a guy like Grant again. (according to info I think someone hinted to you last year)
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Smitty731 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:45 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:

Whisper to Phil to let Clarence do all the drafting and not to get all wacky picking a guy like Grant again. (according to info I think someone hinted to you last year)

Yeah lots were not fans of that pick. The exact quote was something along the lines of "That was Phil's guy. He loves big guards like that."
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#20 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:49 am

Smitty731 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:

Yeah lots were not fans of that pick. The exact quote was something along the lines of "That was Phil's guy. He loves big guards like that."

That was cool to get that information.

On that note, I hope that doesn't cause them to value Frankie N. over, say, D Smith Jr, if he's still there and then Frankie N. doesn't completely pan out. He may be completely deserving of being drafted 7 or so, but I still have a fear of Phil over valuing big guards to the extent he may overlook flaws or lean towards that sort of player over one clearly a bit better.

Return to New York Knicks