2016-17 CFB SEASON / '17 NFL DRAFT

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Re: 2016-17 CFB SEASON / '17 NFL DRAFT 

Post#1821 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:51 pm

Joe Mixon - RB - Sooners

Six-of-11 NFL personnel executives polled by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel said they wouldn't draft Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon "under any circumstances."

And two of the remaining five declined to reply. That left three openly willing drafters. Of them, one exec said he'd draft Mixon in Round 1, while the other two said they'd pick him in Round 3. An NFC exec that said he'd pick Mixon said the following: "I really think without the incident he’s a top-five pick. He’s probably going to go late first to mid-second. This guy’s just too talented." An AFC executive who wouldn't draft Mixon replied: "He will not be on my board. Impulsive violence against a defenseless woman. I believe in forgiveness, but this is not a matter of forgiveness. It’s natural consequences for an action." In another NFL executive poll conducted by the Sentinel, Mixon finished fourth -- behind Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook, and Christian McCaffrey -- in a ranking of this year's RB class.
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Apr 20 - 1:03 PM

Joe Mixon - RB - Sooners

An NFL scout speaking with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel called Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon "Adrian Peterson who returns kicks" and a "bigger, better Ezekiel Elliott."

"He's my best back, by far," the scout said. Another scout likened Mixon's style of running to that of the Cardinals' David Johnson, telling the Journal Sentinel that "[t]his kid has power and speed, and he is really a quality receiver. He’s the type of guy you can leave on the field in pretty much any situation." Of course, none of these scouting quotes address Mixon's 2014 punching of a woman. When the outlet polled 11 NFL personnel executives, six said that they had scrubbed Mixon from their boards, period.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Apr 20 - 6:22 PM
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#1822 » by I_am_1z » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:51 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Joe Mixon - RB - Sooners

Six-of-11 NFL personnel executives polled by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel said they wouldn't draft Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon "under any circumstances."

And two of the remaining five declined to reply. That left three openly willing drafters. Of them, one exec said he'd draft Mixon in Round 1, while the other two said they'd pick him in Round 3. An NFC exec that said he'd pick Mixon said the following: "I really think without the incident he’s a top-five pick. He’s probably going to go late first to mid-second. This guy’s just too talented." An AFC executive who wouldn't draft Mixon replied: "He will not be on my board. Impulsive violence against a defenseless woman. I believe in forgiveness, but this is not a matter of forgiveness. It’s natural consequences for an action." In another NFL executive poll conducted by the Sentinel, Mixon finished fourth -- behind Leonard Fournette, Dalvin Cook, and Christian McCaffrey -- in a ranking of this year's RB class.

Apr 20 - 1:03 PM

Joe Mixon - RB - Sooners

An NFL scout speaking with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel called Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon "Adrian Peterson who returns kicks" and a "bigger, better Ezekiel Elliott."

"He's my best back, by far," the scout said. Another scout likened Mixon's style of running to that of the Cardinals' David Johnson, telling the Journal Sentinel that "[t]his kid has power and speed, and he is really a quality receiver. He’s the type of guy you can leave on the field in pretty much any situation." Of course, none of these scouting quotes address Mixon's 2014 punching of a woman. When the outlet polled 11 NFL personnel executives, six said that they had scrubbed Mixon from their boards, period.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Apr 20 - 6:22 PM

I'm beginning to come around on Joe Mixon. I think he has a lot of Fred Taylor in his game. His vision is the best in the draft.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1823 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:45 am

Malik Hooker - DB - Buckeyes

An AFC college scouting director called Ohio State S Malik Hooker "a special one."

"I can look at 13 games of a one-year starter at safety and project what he’s going to be a lot easier than I can a quarterback," the scout said. Then he offered an emphatic prediction. " Mark my words: I love [LSU’s Jamal] Adams, but Hooker will be the better player in five years." The 6-foot-2, 205-pound Hooker will be jostling with Adams in Philadelphia next Thursday for the honor of being the first safety selected. Both players are Top-10 probable.
Source: Yahoo Sports

Apr 20 - 6:35 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1824 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:36 am

I_am_1z wrote:

I'm beginning to come around on Joe Mixon. I think he has a lot of Fred Taylor in his game. His vision is the best in the draft.

The dude is a special kind of running back 1z. He's the college football version of Le'veon Bell. When Bell was a prospect I was probably his biggest / most outspoken advocate. When others were vying for Eddie Lacy, I said Bell was the better player by a large margin. The crazy thing is I sincerely believe that Mixon is a better prospect than what Bell was when he came out.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1825 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:17 pm

Adoree' Jackson - DB - Trojans

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes that talk of USC CB Adoree' Jackson as a top-20 pick is overblown.

"Jackson is an elite athlete with ball skills and plenty of potential, so it shouldn't be a surprise that he is being mentioned as a possible first rounder," Brugler writes. "But it is still tough to see him in the top 20 selections because he is so unrefined and his lack of size shows up frequently on tape." Jackson reportedly visited with the Texans, Eagles, Cowboys, Browns, Bucs and Titans during the process. The Texans and Cowboys hold the 27th and 28th picks, respectively. That feels about right for Jackson's ceiling. If he isn't drafted on Day 1, he won't be waiting around long on Day 2.
Source: CBS Sports

Apr 20 - 7:21 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1826 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:29 pm

He's no longer going to be drafted in the first. And if that's the case, we should gamble on him by drafting him in the second:

Reuben Foster - LB - Player

Alabama ILB Reuben Foster failed his Combine drug test.
Foster's sample was diluted, which counts as a failed test. He's now in the league's substance-abuse program.

Foster claims he failed the test because he was extremely ill and taking in an exceptional amount of fluids. This adds to a nightmare Combine for Foster, who was sent home after getting into an altercation with a hospital worker. Foster is recovering from shoulder surgery. Foster is an elite talent, but could fall to Day 2 because of his growing off-the-field concerns.
Source: NFL.com

Apr 20 - 4:24 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1827 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Reuben Foster - LB - Crimson Tide

Three teams are visiting with Alabama LB Reuben Foster the weekend ahead of the NFL Draft, according to Josh Norris.

Norris says there is plenty of first round interest despite the failed drug test due to a diluted sample. Just remember Shane Ray, who was cited for marijuana possession the week of the draft and still went in round one. Foster never failed a drug test at Alabama but will be in the NFL program once entering the league. Watch out for the 49ers in a trade out, the Saints, the Ravens and the Dolphins in round one.
Source: Josh Norris on Twitter

Apr 21 - 10:15 AM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1828 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Reuben Foster - LB - Crimson Tide

The Ringer's Michael Lombardi believes Alabama LB Reuben Foster "will be there" at the top of Round 2.

"Teams picking between 33-45 will need to make sure they are comfortable with R. Foster, cause he will be there," Lombardi tweeted on Friday. This report flies in the face of what Rotoworld's Josh Norris has been hearing. Norris reported earlier on Friday that Foster is still receiving "plenty" of Round 1 interest despite Foster's failed drug test -- due to a diluted sample -- at the NFL Combine. Foster has had one of the worst Draft processes of any prospect in this year's class.
Source: Michael Lombardi on Twitter

Apr 21 - 2:58 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1829 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:10 pm

Malik Hooker - DB - Buckeyes

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that NFL teams are reviewing Ohio State S Malik Hooker's medical info.

Rap Sheet wrote that there are no questions about Hooker's NFL Combine recheck, which "went as well as it could" and showed healing of the labrum he underwent surgery on in January. Assuming the medical coast is clear, expect Hooker to go in the top-10.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 21 - 3:49 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1830 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Joe Mixon - RB - Player

Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon reached a civil settlement with the woman he punched in 2014.

Amelia Molitor filed a lawsuit against Mixon after he struck her during an altercation in July of 2014. In a joint statement, both parties announced that the lawsuit has been "amicably resolved and dismissed." Mixon said he apologized to Molitor for his actions in a 1-on-1 meeting. "The way I reacted that night, that's not me," said Mixon. "That's not the way I was raised. I think she understands that." Mixon no longer has a lawsuit hanging over his head, but it's still unclear how NFL teams view him in the wake of this disturbing incident.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 21 - 4:53 PM
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#1831 » by I_am_1z » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:43 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

The dude is a special kind of running back 1z. He's the college football version of Le'veon Bell. When Bell was a prospect I was probably his biggest / most outspoken advocate. When others were vying for Eddie Lacy, I said Bell was the better player by a large margin. The crazy thing is I sincerely believe that Mixon is a better prospect than what Bell was when he came out.

Yet, Fournette is your top RB prospect
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1832 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:15 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

Yet, Fournette is your top RB prospect

Yes. He's my top RB prospect to come out for the past 10 plus years.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1833 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Corey Davis - WR - Broncos

In a Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel poll on the class' top receiver, Western Michigan WR Corey Davis narrowly topped Clemson's Mike Williams and Washington's John Ross to finish best in show.

"I don’t know how fast he could run but Michael Irvin ran 4.57 and he makes all those plays like Michael Irvin," one scout said. "Watch the games against Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin. Strong, quick, can break tackles. He’s the best." Davis' pre-Draft process has been quieter than most after he missed the NFL Combine due to minor ankle surgery he underwent in February. "He’s good, but not like some of the top guys from the past two years," said a third scout. "He’s like the kid from the Eagles (Jordan Matthews). Little better hands."

Apr 23 - 2:53 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1834 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:28 pm

John Ross - WR - Huskies

Washington WR John Ross received more first-place votes (6) in a poll of NFL scouts on this year's top wide receiver prospect than Western Michigan's Corey Davis (5 1/2) and Clemson's Mike Williams (4 1/2).

"[Ross will] be in that DeSean Jackson mold," said one scout. "He’s a burner but he’s also skilled. He is extremely explosive and he’s got very good body control through the route." Based on the Sentinel's point system, Davis, and not Ross, actually finished as the No. 1 receiving prospect in a tight three-way battle at the top. East Carolina's Zay Jones finished fourth, followed, in order, by USC's JuJu Smith-Schuster, Eastern Washington's Cooper Kupp and Ohio State's Curtis Samuel.

Apr 23 - 2:13 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1835 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:33 pm

DeShone Kizer - QB - Fighting Irish

In a Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel poll of 16 NFL evaluators, Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer was named the most likely quarterback to bust among the class' top-five signal-callers.

Kizer received nine votes. Texas Tech's Pat Mahomes finished a distant No. 2 with two votes, while UNC's Mitch Trubisky and Clemson's Deshaun Watson received one apiece. Two of the executives copped out and said all five -- Cal's Davis Webb being the fifth -- were equally risky. "He’s not as good as he should be because he’s not committed to the game," one AFC executive said of Kizer. "He’s committed to building a brand. He wants all the things that come with being a starting quarterback but doesn’t want to put in the work." An NFC personnel man agreed, saying Kizer is most interested in status and money. "That’s what drives him," said the executive. "It’s all about him. Prima donna. Thin-skinned." Chad Reuter's most recent mock draft has Kizer slipping to Round 3.

Apr 23 - 2:27 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1836 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:35 pm

O.J. Howard - TE - Crimson Tide

Alabama TE O.J. Howard easily won a Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel poll as this year's top draft-eligible tight end.

Howard received 14-of-16 first place votes logged by NFL evaluators. "He’s by far and away the best this year," one scout summed up. "He can do everything. He’s got rare speed and athletic ability. He runs like a receiver. He got better as a blocker from his junior to his senior year. ... He’ll end up being one of the best tight ends in the league." Miami's David Njoku (who finished second in the poll) and Ole Miss WR/TE Evan Engram (who finished third) received the other two first-place votes. South Alabama's Gerald Everett and Michigan's Jake Butt finished Nos. 4 and 5, respectively.

Apr 23 - 2:00 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1837 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:37 pm

Deshaun Watson - QB - Tigers

An NFL scout speaking to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel said Clemson QB Deshaun Watson is better than Dak Prescott.

"You can say he’s better than Dak Prescott," the scout said. "Total winner. Highly poised. Top intangibles. Lot of predetermined throws. Going to need a lot of work, like all these guys from the spread." Watson went 32-3 in college, with the 32nd win coming in January in the national title against Alabama. "He’s No. 1," a second scout said. "He’s played the best in the biggest stages. His best thing is leadership. He’s a winner. He has to develop into a pocket passer." Scouts don't question his arm, but they do have reservations about his decision making and progression reading. "He’s No. 1 just because he’s a better leader," said a third scout. "Like the kid a lot. His character is really, really good. His mechanics are below average. He threw 17 interceptions this year, which is terrible for a first-round quarterback, and a lot of them were really bad decisions. Just throwing the ball up for grabs."

Apr 23 - 1:26 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1838 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Myles Garrett - DL - Aggies

Hall of Fame defensive lineman Warren Sapp doesn't believe Texas A&M DE Myles Garrett is worthy of being the No. 1 pick.

"I don't see it from this kid," Sapp said. "I see the splash plays -- everybody gets those. Where's the game he took over? Where? Any defensive lineman who's the No. 1 pick, you turn up and you say, 'There it is!' This kid, no, I don't. I'm a pretty plain and frank guy, and I watch the tape and he disappears." Garrett is the odds-on favorite to go No. 1 to the Cleveland Browns on Thursday night. "I don't think this kid is as good as Courtney Brown, either," Sapp said, evoking Cleveland's No. 1 overall pick in the 2000 draft. Sapp believes Garrett's evaluation is based on his measurables, not his game. "I see a lazy kid that makes four plays a game," Sapp said. "This is the No. 1 guy? No, no, no. This ain't even close." We disagree with the idea that Garrett didn't heavily influence every game he played in at Texas A&M. Garrett posted 31 sacks and 47 TFL over 34 collegiate games despite consistent double-teams.
Source: ESPN

Apr 23 - 1:40 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1839 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:57 pm

Jamal Adams - DB - Player

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini is "pretty sure" the Jets will take LSU S Jamal Adams at No. 6 overall, "unless someone else is unexpectedly available."

There's no telling who that "someone else" is, but it sounds like Adams is squarely in the Jets' crosshairs. The Jets appear to be proactively tanking the 2017 season, and their first-round draft approach may be to secure a high-floor asset who's less likely than other prospects to miss. Adams checks that box as a quality pass and run defender who would immediately start for Gang Green.
Related: Jets
Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Apr 23 - 2:04 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1840 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:47 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705313-caleb-brantley-charged-with-misdemeanor-battery-after-fighting-with-woman

Caleb Brantley - DL - Gators

According to a police report obtained by Florida Times-Union correspondent Patrick Pinak, Florida DT Caleb Brantley faces a misdemeanor battery charge for allegedly punching a woman in the face and knocking her unconscious.

The incident is believed to have occurred on April 13. Per the report, the victim pushed Brantley after he made "crude comments." Brantley allegedly responded by punching the woman in the face with a closed fist, knocking her unconscious and dislodging a tooth. The police report considered that action retaliation, not self-defense. Previously considered a Round 3 pick -- with a ceiling of Round 2 -- Brantley's stock will freefall if this report proves to be true. "Great chance he goes undrafted with this charge coming so close to the draft," Bleacher Report's Matt Miller tweeted. "Teams will be scrambling for info."
Source: Patrick Pinak on Twitter

Apr 23 - 3:49 PM

Return to San Francisco 49ers