Will ANY NBA team visit the white house?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Re: Will ANY NBA team visit the white house? 

Post#181 » by floppymoose » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:13 am

SerialChiller wrote:Honestly..athletes need to stfu and do their jobs and leave their political opinions to themselves. I'm getting sick of bs like Keapernick or whatever his name is thinking they know whats right. Put your helmet on and play, noone cares what you think. That's not what you are paid millions for. Same with coaches, pop needs to limit his interviews to basketball.

I care what they think a lot more than I care what you think.
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 11,021

Post#182 » by SerialChiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:18 am

floppymoose wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:Honestly..athletes need to stfu and do their jobs and leave their political opinions to themselves. I'm getting sick of bs like Keapernick or whatever his name is thinking they know whats right. Put your helmet on and play, noone cares what you think. That's not what you are paid millions for. Same with coaches, pop needs to limit his interviews to basketball.

Good for you...everyone's opinion is irrelevant anyways. They're just people, just because they can put a ball in a hoop doesn't make them smarter than anyone else. And most of them have an agenda but whatever you want to believe.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#183 » by Slava » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 am

SerialChiller wrote:
floppymoose wrote:

Good for you...everyone's opinion is irrelevant anyways. They're just people, just because they can put a ball in a hoop doesn't make them smarter than anyone else. And most of them have an agenda but whatever you want to believe.

Yeah well, that's just like your opinion man.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
SerialChiller
Head Coach

Post#184 » by SerialChiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:57 am

Slava wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:
floppymoose wrote:I care what they think a lot more than I care what you think.

Exactly! Just because athletes/coaches whatever have a "name" attached to their opinion doesn't make it any more significant unless you are just a blind sheep. Everyone has one and I think athletes abuse their platform of being famous by trying to sway the people dumb enough to think whatever they say is gold. But whatever...to each their own. They have a job to do like anyone else, and their political views etc are just their individual opinions as well and have no more merit then anyone else's, but they are gifted a platform and some dumb***es actually listen to them and agree without thinking for themselves lol.
Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#185 » by Ganji » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:01 am

I heard athletes are experts in politics, and should be taken seriously at all times.

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#186 » by Slava » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:19 am

SerialChiller wrote:
Slava wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:

Exactly! Just because athletes/coaches whatever have a "name" attached to their opinion doesn't make it any more significant unless you are just a blind sheep. Everyone has one and I think athletes abuse their platform of being famous by trying to sway the people dumb enough to think whatever they say is gold. But whatever...to each their own. They have a job to do like anyone else, and their political views etc are just their individual opinions as well and have no more merit then anyone else's, but they are gifted a platform and some dumb***es actually listen to them and agree without thinking for themselves lol.

If given a topic that concerns the world, I'd rather listen to Greg Popovich speak about it eloquently for 2 minutes than some moron politician like Gingrich or Trump ramble about it for 40 minutes making no sense. It has nothing to do with the fact that he is an NBA coach or he has been successful in his chosen profession, its got to do with the fact that he is a smart man who educates himself and carries himself in a way I find admirable.

The thing with celebrity endorsements for a cause is the same as anything else, you listen to the message and you make your mind on if you want to follow it or not. I could care less about Kaepernick taking a knee for the national anthem but at the same time if Popovich spent 2 mins talking about criminal justice reform in his pre game interview, I'd certainly youtube it. That doesn't make me a dumbass like you say. Living in an echo chamber by ignoring everything around you does.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#187 » by Pennebaker » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:25 am

Good question. I'm pretty sure most of the Cavs wouldn't. Not sure about Golden State. I could see them showing up. San Antonio? Hard to say. Over the last 20 years the San Antonio (Texas) Spurs have become white America's team, so you'd probably expect them to make the trip. But Pop is a liberal guy (liberal moderate) that was so disheartened and passionate after Trump was elected (see below) that I can see him taking a stand and not going. But he's also compassionate and thoughtful so I could also see him arguing that the residence of the White House and The Executive Office of the President of the United States, as symbols, are bigger than any sitting president, and that we shouldn't tarnish the image of those institutions just because of temporary unpopular officeholders. Right?

But who knows? We'll see.

It’s still early and I’m still sick to my stomach. Not basically because the Republicans won or anything, but the disgusting tenor and tone and all the comments that have been xenophobic, homophobic, racist, misogynistic, and I live in that country where half the country ignored all that to elect someone. That’s the scariest part of the whole thing to me.

It’s got nothing to do with the environment and Obamacare and all that other stuff. We live in a country that ignored all those values that we would hold our kids accountable for. They’d be grounded for years if they acted and said the things that have been said in that campaign by Donald Trump. I look at the evangelicals and I wonder, ‘Those values don’t mean anything to them?’

All those values to me are more important than anybody’s skill in business or anything else because it tells who we are and how we want to live and what kind of people we are.
SerialChiller
Head Coach

Post#188 » by SerialChiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:59 am

Slava wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:
Slava wrote:

If given a topic that concerns the world, I'd rather listen to Greg Popovich speak about it eloquently for 2 minutes than some moron politician like Gingrich or Trump ramble about it for 40 minutes making no sense. It has nothing to do with the fact that he is an NBA coach or he has been successful in his chosen profession, its got to do with the fact that he is a smart man who educates himself and carries himself in a way I find admirable.

The thing with celebrity endorsements for a cause is the same as anything else, you listen to the message and you make your mind on if you want to follow it or not. I could care less about Kaepernick taking a knee for the national anthem but at the same time if Popovich spent 2 mins talking about criminal justice reform in his pre game interview, I'd certainly youtube it. That doesn't make me a dumbass like you say. Living in an echo chamber by ignoring everything around you does.

I actually really like Pop and think he's a great coach but competently disagree with his view on trump. It's fine to listen to them when they step outside their realm of expertise, but it's important to remember it's just a person's viewpoint and not some god speaking. Pop is obviously strongly against Trump...but it doesn't mean anything really. His whole the world is ending because Trump got elected viewpoint is garbage and many will agree or disagree. I'd rather they just use their platform to do their damn jobs and let people think for themselves. Instead of spreading their personal agenda's on a soapbox that their provided by being famous.
SerialChiller
Head Coach

Post#189 » by SerialChiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:02 am

SerialChiller wrote:
Slava wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:

I actually really like Pop and think he's a great coach but completely disagree with his view on trump. It's fine to listen to them when they step outside their realm of expertise, but it's important to remember it's just a person's viewpoint and not some god speaking. Pop is obviously strongly against Trump...but it doesn't mean anything really. His whole the world is ending because Trump got elected viewpoint is garbage and many will agree or disagree. I'd rather they just use their platform to do their damn jobs and let people think for themselves. Instead of spreading their personal agenda's on a soapbox that their provided by being famous. Do what you're paid to do and keep your opinions to yourself and friends family, no need to spread it around and influence others who dumbly idolize you simply because of a game you get paid millions to play/coach.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#190 » by Slava » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:02 am

SerialChiller wrote:
Slava wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:

I actually really like Pop and think he's a great coach but competently disagree with his view on trump. It's fine to listen to them when they step outside their realm of expertise, but it's important to remember it's just a person's viewpoint and not some god speaking. Pop is obviously strongly against Trump...but it doesn't mean anything really. His whole the world is ending because Trump got elected viewpoint is garbage and many will agree or disagree. I'd rather they just use their platform to do their damn jobs and let people think for themselves. Instead of spreading their personal agenda's on a soapbox that their provided by being famous.

Well there's this wonderful thing called freedom of speech and there are worse people to listen to than Popovich exercising his right to speech and worse opinions to consider than his. To each his own, one's ability to formulate thought should not rely on someone else's opinion alone but at the same time one should consider other's opinion when you look for perspective. That's the main objective of people using their platform to spread their views.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#191 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:09 am

I love how athletes aren't allowed to talk about politics, but its totally ok for a Reality TV star to be President.

The line has been blurred. It will never be the same.
SerialChiller
Head Coach

Post#192 » by SerialChiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:09 am

Slava wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:
Slava wrote:

Well there's this wonderful thing called freedom of speech and there are worse people to listen to than Popovich exercising his right to speech and worse opinions to consider than his. To each his own, one's ability to formulate thought should not rely on someone else's opinion alone but at the same time one should consider other's opinion when you look for perspective. That's the main objective of people using their platform to spread their views.

I agree...i do think pop is a smart individual. and people can say what they want, but just in general i think athletes abuse their platform for their own agendas and should just stick to what they know is all. they aren't "special" or anything despite what they've been told their whole lives when it comes to opinions.
SerialChiller
Head Coach

Post#193 » by SerialChiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:11 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I love how athletes aren't allowed to talk about politics, but its totally ok for a Reality TV star to be President.

He was voted in...if an athlete gets voted in let me know.
Torgeir Bryn
Pro Prospect
And1: 657

Post#194 » by Torgeir Bryn » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:17 am

So how many Bucks players will go to the white house?
SerialChiller
Head Coach

Post#195 » by SerialChiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:19 am

Torgeir Bryn wrote:So how many Bucks players will go to the white house?

lol good question...but beating the raptors and I do think they will isn't gonna warrant a white house visit. the cavs will handle them shortly after and i hate the cavs.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#196 » by mtron929 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:23 am

Well, at the end of the day, the players can do whatever they want and I wouldn't really care. However, given that most of the players are liberals, I suspect that there is a bit of a double standard on the actions between conservatives and liberals. For example, let's say one of the conservative players from last 8 years refused to go to the White House when Obama was the President. Would the players have viewed this in a compassionate manner? For some reason, I am thinking that this might not have been the case.

So as long as these things are consistent, I don't care what the players do.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#197 » by Slava » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:24 am

Torgeir Bryn wrote:So how many Bucks players will go to the white house?

Thon Maker is from a banned country and Giannis was an undocumented immigrant. I don't think either of them would be quite interested in having anything to do with it.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#198 » by NBAFan93 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:25 am

SerialChiller wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:I love how athletes aren't allowed to talk about politics, but its totally ok for a Reality TV star to be President.

LeBron 2024 ;)
SerialChiller
Head Coach

Post#199 » by SerialChiller » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:28 am

NBAFan93 wrote:
SerialChiller wrote:

LeBron 2024 ;)

LMAO imagine him and Kobe running against eachother....that would be amazing lol!
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#200 » by NBAFan93 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:33 am

Athletes have been talking about and involved in politics since the media has been a thing. Muhammad Ali, Jackie Robinson, etc.

Return to The General Board