ImageImage

2017 General NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

chellis
Senior
And1: 130

Re: College/Prospects Thread 16/17 

Post#581 » by chellis » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:14 am

yosemiteben wrote:Fun research topic - better draft pick for us, Donovan Mitchell or Justin Jackson? Don't really want either at 11, but looking at just the two of them who do you want?

I have ZERO research at the moment to make an educated choice, but a 6'3" SG just feels way to undersized for me. But I reserve the right to change my thoughts after more research.
chellis
Senior

Post#582 » by chellis » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:19 am

I saw trade proposed in the TT forum. Actually really liked it. Portland gets Miles, Weber, 11 and Charlotte gets Crabbe, 15, (and 26 if that's what it takes). im curious the thoughts of everyone else. Pick up a decent SG (yes contract is big but so is Plumlee's, and we have others on larger contracts...viewed as a wash in my eyes). Then you can target other players like Semi, Mitchell, Collins, Kennard, etc with the next two picks. I know Cliff doesn't have a rep of playing rookies, but we could draft more established players to play in limited minutes and help the team. I don't know. I find it intriguing though.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,027

Post#583 » by JDR720 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Would rather not have his contact.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#584 » by Mystical Apples » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:27 pm

Pre-draft single elimination: Giles medical report v OG medical report. Let the cleanest sheet win.
geometry
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,634

Re: RE: Re: College/Prospects Thread 16/17 

Post#585 » by yosemiteben » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Mystical Apples wrote:Pre-draft single elimination: Giles medical report v OG medical report. Let the cleanest sheet win.

What's your take on Giles of his sheet is clean? I mean aren't you essentially relying on his production from his junior year in high school to gauge his potential?
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#586 » by yosemiteben » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:46 pm

chellis wrote:I saw trade proposed in the TT forum. Actually really liked it. Portland gets Miles, Weber, 11 and Charlotte gets Crabbe, 15, (and 26 if that's what it takes). im curious the thoughts of everyone else. Pick up a decent SG (yes contract is big but so is Plumlee's, and we have others on larger contracts...viewed as a wash in my eyes). Then you can target other players like Semi, Mitchell, Collins, Kennard, etc with the next two picks. I know Cliff doesn't have a rep of playing rookies, but we could draft more established players to play in limited minutes and help the team. I don't know. I find it intriguing though.

Don't love it, don't hate it. Doesn't help PG depth and creates a new issue with big depth.

If no one we like falls, would entertain it.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#587 » by Mystical Apples » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:09 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
Mystical Apples wrote:Pre-draft single elimination: Giles medical report v OG medical report. Let the cleanest sheet win.

What's your take on Giles of his sheet is clean? I mean aren't you essentially relying on his production from his junior year in high school to gauge his potential?

Largely, yes, but collegiate minutes @ 11 isn't the concern unless his 300 minutes were totally gross. From what I can see, they were fine for a recovering athlete. Better than fine, actually.

The real issue is assigning odds for a full recovery, odds of meeting reasonable upside should he make a recovery, and then deciding if risk of total loss is worth passing on a lesser talent. I'd also wanna know gate issues, leg length discrepancies, etc... Only the doctors and Charlotte's FO can answer this question.

With OG I'd wanna know the same + decide if he's a PF and eventually a smallball 5.
geometry
Cheeze
Junior
And1: 79

Post#588 » by Cheeze » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Mystical Apples wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:

Largely, yes, but collegiate minutes @ 11 isn't the concern unless his 300 minutes were totally gross. From what I can see, they were fine for a recovering athlete. Better than fine, actually.

The real issue is assigning odds for a full recovery, odds of meeting reasonable upside should he make a recovery, and then deciding if risk of total loss is worth passing on a lesser talent. I'd also wanna know gate issues, leg length discrepancies, etc... Only the doctors and Charlotte's FO can answer this question.

With OG I'd wanna know the same + decide if he's a PF and eventually a smallball 5.

I've been bullish on Giles. But it ALL depends on his medicals. I'm betting that his knee checks out structurally and will be fully healed by the start of training camp. That's a house bet, nothing more. If the knee does check out, and the medical concerns are minimized (just about all players have some level of medical risk), then Giles's potential is worth the Hornets's draft position, as I've argued in other posts. He's a teenager, and as such, should be considered a developmental draft pick.

What I'm advocating is that Charlotte make their draft selection with development in mind and expecting absolutely ZERO impact next season. I'm serious. The Hornets would be making a serious error if they draft a player expected to contribute in 2018. They need to find a developmental player with high upside. Giles fits that profile.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#589 » by yosemiteben » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:56 pm

How did he originally get hurt? Freak accident?
chellis
Senior

Post#590 » by chellis » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:53 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
chellis wrote:I saw trade proposed in the TT forum. Actually really liked it. Portland gets Miles, Weber, 11 and Charlotte gets Crabbe, 15, (and 26 if that's what it takes). im curious the thoughts of everyone else. Pick up a decent SG (yes contract is big but so is Plumlee's, and we have others on larger contracts...viewed as a wash in my eyes). Then you can target other players like Semi, Mitchell, Collins, Kennard, etc with the next two picks. I know Cliff doesn't have a rep of playing rookies, but we could draft more established players to play in limited minutes and help the team. I don't know. I find it intriguing though.

Don't love it, don't hate it. Doesn't help PG depth and creates a new issue with big depth.

If no one we like falls, would entertain it.

It's true it causes other holes, but my thoughts were use the MLE to target a PG and the picks to target additional shooting, bigs, whichever. I see potential in the deal. Would cause some growing pains, but depending on who is drafted I think that could be minimized.

Or we could just trade MKG for a big after that :-P (sarcasm intended...no need to cause more debate)
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#591 » by yosemiteben » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Yeah I see that and I don't feel really strongly about it one way or the other. I would have to do more research on Crabbe before I was completely on board with this. Big depth is probably my biggest concern.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#592 » by SWedd523 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:27 pm

If I'm Cho, I'm not taking Giles regardless of his medical. He wouldn't even be on my first round draft board. There is simply too much injury history to the same knee and not enough empirical data to make me comfortable guaranteeing money to that guy.

Nothing against him as a player. Just let some other team take that risk. If he pans out then hell yeah, good on him. I seriously doubt Cho sees his job as secure enough to take that risk, and I don't think the team, as constructed, is in a position to do so either
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

College/Prospects Thread 16/17 

Post#593 » by TheKingofSting » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Cheeze wrote:
Mystical Apples wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:What's your take on Giles of his sheet is clean? I mean aren't you essentially relying on his production from his junior year in high school to gauge his potential?

I've been bullish on Giles. But it ALL depends on his medicals. I'm betting that his knee checks out structurally and will be fully healed by the start of training camp. That's a house bet, nothing more. If the knee does check out, and the medical concerns are minimized (just about all players have some level of medical risk), then Giles's potential is worth the Hornets's draft position, as I've argued in other posts. He's a teenager, and as such, should be considered a developmental draft pick.

What I'm advocating is that Charlotte make their draft selection with development in mind and expecting absolutely ZERO impact next season. I'm serious. The Hornets would be making a serious error if they draft a player expected to contribute in 2018. They need to find a developmental player with high upside. Giles fits that profile.

Cliff probably won't play who we'd draft that many minutes next season anyway. Take Giles, stash him in whatever they call the D-League now for all of next season and I'm betting by the start of the 2018-2019 season we have a beast on our hands that make a lot of people on this board eat crow. He is easily the third best player in this draft if healthy, a lot of front offices will be wishing they had taken the gamble.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#594 » by catch20two » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:18 am

Crabbe is blah. Good 3pt shooter but the rest of his game is kinda blah. Horrible defender. Not much of a ball handler. Has no passing vision, for comparison sake he make Lamb look like Batum.

Have anybody watched him the first 2 playoff games against GSW? Lol
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Kembastockton
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 56

Post#595 » by Kembastockton » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:19 am

catch20two wrote:Say no to Giles.

Two words, "Greg Oden"

Diop wrote:DX has us taking that french point guard and I would be happy with that.

6'5, showed good defence and shooting in the under 18 Euro Championships, could be handy off the bench.

The kid is a beast on defense and has a pass first mentality. Everything else can be taught. Would definitely be a good pick.

yosemiteben wrote:Fun research topic - better draft pick for us, Donovan Mitchell or Justin Jackson? Don't really want either at 11, but looking at just the two of them who do you want?

Depends on whether or not Donovan can learn the point. I would take Justin at 11 if we could find a way to snag another lottery pick.

This trade is pointless for us. Who are they looking at in that range?

JDR720 wrote:Would rather not have his contact.

He is little better than Lamb, but makes more than Kemba!
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 548

Post#596 » by They_Them_Hatin » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:55 pm

Crabbe's contract is just terrible. I know Plumlee is too but it's 10 million shorter next year and 6.5 million the two years after. Blazers pay the trade kicker but it's on our cap. 22 million for someone who averages under 11 points a game is horrible.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#597 » by catch20two » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:49 pm

Lamb averages almost as much in 10 less minutes a game.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#598 » by yosemiteben » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:39 am

@GoodmanESPN
Duke freshman guard Frank Jackson will declare for draft, will not sign with agent, sources confirmed to ESPN. First by @tribjazz

@GoodmanESPN
Frank Jackson's decision to return to Duke could well hinge whether Trevon Duval chooses Blue Devils. Duval arguably top PG in frosh class.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#599 » by TheKingofSting » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:18 am

yosemiteben wrote:@GoodmanESPN
Duke freshman guard Frank Jackson will declare for draft, will not sign with agent, sources confirmed to ESPN. First by @tribjazz

@GoodmanESPN
Frank Jackson's decision to return to Duke could well hinge whether Trevon Duval chooses Blue Devils. Duval arguably top PG in frosh class.

Duval is 99.9999 % coming to Duke. I think Frank is gone and his dad has really pushed for it. He will test very well and I bet someone will take him late in the first round. Houston or San Antonio would love his game. I honesty can't believe Allen didn't even test the waters.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 902

Post#600 » by MugzZo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:28 am

When i think of giles knees, I picture the old episode of South Park when Kyle has Mr. Garrison's balls in his knees. Both of his knees are a cause for concern, not just 1. That is why I dont want him. If we can trade with Portland and end up with frank Jackson and OG/Semi....i would take on crabbes contract for sure.

Return to Charlotte Hornets