Should NBA expand on replay ruling?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Wagonband
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,171

Should NBA expand on replay ruling? 

Post#1 » by Wagonband » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:35 pm

I have to say i'm quite bothered by how the replays work in the NBA currently.

I like that they added video reviews for the last 2 minutes of the game, but i really don't understand why that same video review can't be used to change calls.

For example, in the Cle-Ind game there was a review whether the ball went out of bounds by Paul George or a Cavalier. The replay clearly showed George touched it last, but the only the TO happened was because he was hammered on the arm. If there is already the review of the replay, why shouldn't the refeeres be able to say "it would be CLE ball, but because it was a fould we will give PG 2 free throws". It would literally take a second more to make that decision.

I remember a simmilar thing a few years back in the LAC-GSW series, where Green fauled CP3, which cause CP3 to push the ball out of bounds. The refs first said LAC ball, but after review gave the ball to GSW despite the replay clearly showing the only reason why CP3 lost the ball was because of a Green faul.

They say that they don't want the games to last longer, but this would add a minute max to a game and make the last 2 minutes of play much more fair. I'm not saying stop to review if a foul was made, but if there's already a review going on, allow the refs to change the call.

Thoughts?
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Re: Should NBA expand on replay ruling? 

Post#2 » by Hangtime84 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:38 pm

I think NBA coaches should be allowed to challenge calls similar to how the NFL does. It would make officials more accountable. Still have the outside replay center determine if the foul was legit or should be reversed.

I've watched teams go on runs after a the right flop goes their way.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,858

Post#3 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:42 pm

There' s just too much nuance and intangible factors that go into how a foul is a called.

Is this in line with how we're calling the game?
Did the other team get the same call on the other end?
Did this player intentionally do it and gain an advantage from it?
Does this player have the respect of the whistle?
Does this player constantly seek out fouls with his behavior?

ETC ETC

Being able to review fouls is a slope that is a bit to slippery at this point. I dont mind the challenge idea, but in moderation. On any given play, there could be something that could be called a foul. It'd be possible to have a foul called literally every time down the court.

Maybe adding the ability for this specific type of out of bounds play would be fine, but IDK.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,073

Post#4 » by Patches Perry » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:42 pm

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:There' s just too much nuance and intangible factors that go into how a foul is a called.

Is this in line with how we're calling the game?
Did the other team get the same call on the other end?
Did this player intentionally do it and gain an advantage from it?
Does this player have the respect of the whistle?
Does this player constantly seek out fouls with his behavior?

ETC ETC

Being able to review fouls is a slope that is a bit to slippery at this point. I dont mind the challenge idea, but in moderation. On any given play, there could be something that could be called a foul. It'd be possible to have a foul called literally every time down the court.

Maybe adding the ability for this specific type of out of bounds play would be fine, but IDK.

I agree with OP but also with this. The only way replay can be consistent is if they isolate one particular kind of call and focus on solely that regardless of what affected that play, as with the "who touched the ball last" review. If Chris Paul pushes off on Draymond Green to get open, they inbound to Paul, and Green runs into Paul from behind while recovering, knocking it off Paul, then what is the precedent here? Ball went off Paul, but it was because Green fouled him, but Paul was open because Paul fouled Green. It opens up too much. At some point you have to chalk it up to spontaneity of the game and move on.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:50 pm

I'm fine with getting the call right in the last two minutes but it would have to be a clear missed foul like the one on George. I wouldn't want a situation where officials were making 50/50 calls on replay.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Gary Cokeman
Pro Prospect
And1: 3,339

Post#6 » by Gary Cokeman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:00 pm

It would slow the game down too much... FT's do that enough as is.
My Teams Always Suck.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Even if charge block calls cold be reviewed, you would never get anything close to universal agreement on whether it's the right call or not.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,025

Post#8 » by RamonSessions7 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:12 pm

They need to change something about those out of bounds replays with clear contact. It really should not take that long either. It takes fans watching on TV and the broadcast team about 20 seconds to see what happened in those situations.

As the replay setup is now, replay is actually making the calls on the floor worse when plays like the PG out of bounds play get overturned.
OmegaAtrocity
Sophomore
And1: 65

Post#9 » by OmegaAtrocity » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:33 pm

Honestly I'd be okay if they took replay out entirely. It takes way way too long, and they still get it wrong half the time.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,843

Post#10 » by Shock Defeat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:40 pm

Yes, if you are reviewing who the ball went out of bounds on, you HAVE to be able to call a foul if it is determined that that was what caused the ball to go off of a player. It doesn't make any sense, you could be hacked but if the ball goes out of bounds off of you, the other team gets the ball.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#11 » by 76ciology » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:06 pm

If there's one job in earth where robots should replace humans' job, its being refs.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#12 » by dautjazz » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:18 pm

I love that the NBA has a room that costs millions for reviewing plays, and it takes as much as 5 minutes to determine some calls that take seconds for fans to determine. Seriously, wtf?
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.

Return to The General Board