The real question for Pacers fans and FO: trade PG or keep PG

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Vote

Poll ended at Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Keep him and build around him - def a foundational piece you build around
25%
Trade him - he's not the star we think he is. He'll never be able to get to the next level in Indiana.
69%
Other
7%

Total votes: 118

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Re: The real question for Pacers fans and FO: trade PG or keep PG 

Post#21 » by The_Hater » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:06 pm

PG is going to make the decision for them, he either signs an extension or you have to trade him. Letting him play out the string shouldn't be an option.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#22 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Froob wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:This is quickly becoming the most played out topic on this site. This is threat 518 that I've read about him leaving/being traded. I can tell you how this poll is going to turn out and save everyone some time.

Pacer Fans: Will be about 65-35 to keep him.
Laker Fans: Want him at all cost
Boston Fans: Want to trade Jordan Mickey and Amir Johnson for PG and think it is fair.
Sixer Fans: Like 2 sixer fans will offer some ridiculous idea of a PG trade.
Rest of the NBA: Will have a differing of opinions on what should be done.

On the flip side, everyone thinks they are getting both picks and Jaylen Brown when nobody has ever gotten such a huge haul for a star. People were saying both picks, Brown, Crowder and Smart for Cousins the same day he got dealt for a protected pick and Buddy Hield. If that pick ends up #1, that's a pretty good haul along with Crowder or Smart. Although I'd rather keep both picks and Brown and just develop them..

No disagreement there at all. There is definitely a middle ground to what some Pacer fans think PG is worth and what Celtic fans think they should pay.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#23 » by pacers33granger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Froob wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:This is quickly becoming the most played out topic on this site. This is threat 518 that I've read about him leaving/being traded. I can tell you how this poll is going to turn out and save everyone some time.

Boston Fans: Want to trade Jordan Mickey and Amir Johnson for PG and think it is fair.

On the flip side, everyone thinks they are getting both picks and Jaylen Brown when nobody has ever gotten such a huge haul for a star. People were saying both picks, Brown, Crowder and Smart for Cousins the same day he got dealt for a protected pick and Buddy Hield. If that pick ends up #1, that's a pretty good haul along with Crowder or Smart. Although I'd rather keep both picks and Brown and just develop them..

Those picks have way too much of a range in value is the problem and Brown does too depending on who you talk to. I get Celtics fans not wanting to give up the chance for possibly two franchise guys. But people seem to forget how quickly the shine falls off on prospects.

If those picks were 15/16 instead of 17/18, they could have been KAT/Simmons. That's a possibly insane duo. But there's more likely a chance it's Ingram/Russell, Okafor/Bender, Hezonja/Dunn, etc. which could be nice, but is an underwhelming return.

That said if I were Boston I'd be in the same boat as you as wanting to just make the picks and develop them.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,418

Post#24 » by Eyeamok » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Why you got to be such a wet blanket. Let the people have their fun. If we want to poll let us poll.
You are not forced to read all the topics on what is PG gonna do.

Now that I have read your opinion and don't have to read this thread anymore what do I do with my extra time?

As a Pacers fan do you think he PG wants to leave? That's an awful lot of money on the table if he does walk in free agency and the Lakers are not in any better shape than the Pacers. I would even say worse right now. PG might move their needle some but if it's a championship he is looking for LA does not seem like an optimal choice and I'm not convinced that Boston is the place either.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,363

Post#25 » by nbafan38 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:16 pm

75% he's gone. Trade him unless you get him to sign an extension before the deadline. Ideally I would even consider trading him this summer when his value will be even higher than at the deadline.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#26 » by The_Hater » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Froob wrote:

I guess it depends on how highly both sides value Jalen Brown. I personally don't think he's good enough to be a massive sticking point for the Pacers. Apparently Crowder was a sticking point for Chicago in the Butler talks. Rumors say anyways.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#27 » by ALL HAIL » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:What number do yoy guys think he will want to wear? 22 or 25?

Those numbers are retired, homie. Try again.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#28 » by pacers33granger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
As a Pacers fan do you think he PG wants to leave? That's an awful lot of money on the table if he does walk in free agency and the Lakers are not in any better shape than the Pacers. I would even say worse right now. PG might move their needle some but if it's a championship he is looking for LA does not seem like an optimal choice and I'm not convinced that Boston is the place either.

Honestly, despite the cherry picked reporting that has been done constantly on his quotes, he has repeatedly said his desire is to win and first priority is to win in Indy. He doesn't want to leave, but he will if he think he can't win here, which is a real debate.

The issue for him, as you point out, is who gives him a better shot that has space? There's not likely to be a ton of destinations out there in a year and we have to wait and see how many teams blow their money this offseason.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#29 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:23 pm

I'd trade Kyrie Irving for him.

Don't @ me Cavs fans.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#30 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:26 pm

Eyeamok wrote:

Why you got to be such a wet blanket. Let the people have their fun. If we want to poll let us poll.
You are not forced to read all the topics on what is PG gonna do.

Now that I have read your opinion and don't have to read this thread anymore what do I do with my extra time?

With you're free time you have to re-watch the 2nd half of the Pacers-Cavs game as a Pacers fan! :lol: :lol:
Apologies to the OP. Didn't mean to bag on your poll.

To answer your question about PG wanting to leave. I honestly don't think the dude knows what he wants. One day he wants to win a championship in Indy and be the greatest Pacer ever. One day he wants to leave to somewhere he can win a championship. Then he wants to go to LA who I think we can all agree is not close to contending. I don't think he knows what he wants. IMO he likes attention and drama. His whole attitude/demeanor has really changed this year. The fact he didn't try and check LeBron in the 4th quarter adds more to the mystery that is PG right now. I personally think he thinks he is a top 3-5 player in the league and wants the attention and power that comes with that. We all know he is not at that level though.
JoeSchmo24
Senior
And1: 580

Post#31 » by JoeSchmo24 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:27 pm

kordian wrote:I think this shows that Jimmy Butler is more of a superstar then PG.

PG performance and antics shows he is a #2.

Boston will not give Indy anything since PG leaving next summer, plus I think Boston is realizing that they are more than 1 piece away.

Are people really even watching this Cavs-Pacers series? His performance shows he's a number 2?? He's defnitely playing like a number 1 option in this series. He would be a championship level number 2 option. And what has Jimmy Butler done to prove that? Getting the 8 seed? PG is as much of a franchise player as Jimmy Butler. Neither one of them are or ever will be a "superstar".
JoeSchmo24
Senior

Post#32 » by JoeSchmo24 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31 pm

My opinion is you keep him unless you get an offer that absolutely blows you away. You take the risk he makes an all-nba team this or next year and turns down 70 extra million dollars leaving Indy. None of the suggested realistic offers really have me that interested in trading him for that. If he leaves the Pacers can finally tank for once in their history.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31 pm

JoeSchmo24 wrote:
kordian wrote:I think this shows that Jimmy Butler is more of a superstar then PG.

Boston will not give Indy anything since PG leaving next summer, plus I think Boston is realizing that they are more than 1 piece away.

Are people really even watching this Cavs-Pacers series? His performance shows he's a number 2?? He's defnitely playing like a number 1 option in this series. He would be a championship level number 2 option. And what has Jimmy Butler done to prove that? Getting the 8 seed? PG is as much of a franchise player as Jimmy Butler. Neither one of them are or ever will be a "superstar".

I actually have them both as top 8 players.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JoeSchmo24
Senior

Post#34 » by JoeSchmo24 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JoeSchmo24 wrote:

Great players, but Lebron is the only superstar in the league.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#35 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:What number do yoy guys think he will want to wear? 22 or 25?

Those numbers are retired, homie. Try again.

21 :D
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:35 pm

JoeSchmo24 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JoeSchmo24 wrote:

I think that prolific scoring wings, who are two-way players, are the most valuable players in the league. In no particular order I'd want LBJ, PG, Durant, Butler, Giannis & Leonard before most, if not all, of the other players that are typically listed in the top 10.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#37 » by MUpacersSIC » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:41 pm

JoeSchmo24 wrote:My opinion is you keep him unless you get an offer that absolutely blows you away. You take the risk he makes an all-nba team this or next year and turns down 70 extra million dollars leaving Indy. None of the suggested realistic offers really have me that interested in trading him for that. If he leaves the Pacers can finally tank for once in their history.

So they can't tank with BKNs 2017 and J. Brown? I think that's leads them to another top 5 pick in 2018. I think the only reason PG would have any desire to stay is the extra money if he makes all NBA. Outside of that I just don't see a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
JoeSchmo24
Senior

Post#38 » by JoeSchmo24 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:45 pm

MUpacersSIC wrote:
JoeSchmo24 wrote:My opinion is you keep him unless you get an offer that absolutely blows you away. You take the risk he makes an all-nba team this or next year and turns down 70 extra million dollars leaving Indy. None of the suggested realistic offers really have me that interested in trading him for that. If he leaves the Pacers can finally tank for once in their history.

So they can't tank with BKNs 2017 and J. Brown? I think that's leads them to another top 5 pick in 2018. I think the only reason PG would have any desire to stay is the extra money if he makes all NBA. Outside of that I just don't see a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I mean thats the kind of offer that would blow me away because Im going to take two top 3 picks. I just don't see the Celtics offering that and if you can't get an offer that good then its better taking the gamble rather than just trading for below average pieces.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,860

Post#39 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:46 pm

I think most are in agreement that Teague isn't really good anymore, so to answer your question:

Yes, trade that PG. Trade that PG now.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#40 » by 8305 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:21 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JoeSchmo24 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I think that prolific scoring wings, who are two-way players, are the most valuable players in the league. In no particular order I'd want LBJ, PG, Durant, Butler, Giannis & Leonard before most, if not all, of the other players that are typically listed in the top 10.

+1
There is no way Pacers should trade PG13 if he can be resigned. Whether he can be resigned is really the question and I don't think its a slam dunk that he's gone. Fortunately agents and executives in the league know you make these decisions after the smoke and emotions from the season have had a chance to settle.

While I think Larry has generally done a lousy job of retooling this team since they parted company with West and Hibbert he appears to have gotten two things right in Myles Turner and Lance Stephenson. Those two next year give this team some upside.

Return to The General Board