Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,899

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Russell Westbrook Thread: 2016-2017 

Post#1901 » by K_chile22 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:57 pm

bondom34 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:They need this, a backup PG, and to get rid of Kanter.

I don't think you can get a backup point guard that's as good at generating offense as Kanter is, given the situation

Better off keeping him and using MLE for a decent backup. But if they match Roberson the tax comes into play. Anyone know what the tax payer MLE will be?

They can get a backup PG who can actually play because his defense is passable.

To be fair to Kanter, the pace and space Rockets and Warriors are the worst possible teams for him. He killed agaisnt the Spurs last year, and would be fine against all the other playoff teams besides those two and maybe Portland
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Russell Westbrook Thread: 2016-2017 

Post#1902 » by bondom34 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:00 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
K_chile22 wrote:I don't think you can get a backup point guard that's as good at generating offense as Kanter is, given the situation

Better off keeping him and using MLE for a decent backup. But if they match Roberson the tax comes into play. Anyone know what the tax payer MLE will be?

They can get a backup PG who can actually play because his defense is passable.

To be fair to Kanter, the pace and space Rockets and Warriors are the worst possible teams for him. He killed agaisnt the Spurs last year, and would be fine against all the other playoff teams besides those two and maybe Portland

Oh don't disagree, he's not useless. The issue is you just named about half the WC playoff teams and you're paying 17 mil for a guy you can't play in the playoffs.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,517

Re: The Russell Westbrook Thread: 2016-2017 

Post#1903 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:16 am

JulesWinnfield wrote:I've seen people give Hubie crap before, but I'm always beyond amazed at how sharp he still is. The dude is 83 freaking years old. That sounds like hyperbole. But no. He's literally 83 freaking years old and in my view still doing this at a high level

I've become more impressed with Hubie's abilities I've noticed the decline in my father who is only in his late 60s.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#1904 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:17 am

I like Hubie Brown also. He calls the game which puts him ahead of the other color commentators.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1905 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:30 pm

MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
JLei
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,965

Post#1906 » by JLei » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:36 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:I've seen people give Hubie crap before, but I'm always beyond amazed at how sharp he still is. The dude is 83 freaking years old. That sounds like hyperbole. But no. He's literally 83 freaking years old and in my view still doing this at a high level

I've become more impressed with Hubie's abilities I've noticed the decline in my father who is only in his late 60s.

Hubie is amazing still but he cheers for the underdog team to where it's like a homer commentator.

Very frustrating when you are the fan of the team that is way better.
Modern Era Fantasy Game Champ! :king:
PG: Ricky Rubio 16
SG: Brandon Roy 09
SF: Danny Green 14
PF: Rasheed Wallace 06
C: Shaquille O'Neal 01

G: George Hill 14
F: Anthony Parker 10
C: Amir Johnson 12
thekdog34
Starter
And1: 782

Post#1907 » by thekdog34 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Rockets offensive rating is 140 when Russ is on the bench in the 2 games.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1908 » by bondom34 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:06 am

Oh and if anyone believes the ignorant argument of "only 2 more rebounds won the MVP!" they really need to reassess. Dumbest thing I've heard. Harden had a great year. Just not as good. And not because of 2 rebounds. Because Westbrook was and is the better player.

Terrible, ill informed argument and I can't believe fans are trying to propagate it. I instantly lose a little respect when I see it posted by someone.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,864

Post#1909 » by Goudelock » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:15 am

bondom34 wrote:Oh and if anyone believes the ignorant argument of "only 2 more rebounds won the MVP!" they really need to reassess. Dumbest thing I've heard. Harden had a great year. Just not as good. And not because of 2 rebounds. Because Westbrook was and is the better player.

Terrible, ill informed argument and I can't believe fans are trying to propagate it. I instantly lose a little respect when I see it posted by someone.

I don't think that Westbrook is a better player than Harden........ but just that he's just more valuable. The Rockets would probably be below average without Harden orchestrating the show and I'm going to assume would be a fringe playoff team at best. But OKC sans Westbrook? That would be such a trainwreck that they'd challenge the Nets for the title of the worst team in the NBA. Whenever I'd watch an OKC game with my family, we'd always talk about how Westbrook had to do EVERYTHING for his team on offense, unlike any other player in the NBA. So again, that doesn't make him better than Harden/Leonard/LeBron/whoever, just the most valuable to his team.

And this is coming from a guy who was on the "Harden for MVP" bandwagon earlier in the season.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#1910 » by kayess » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:35 am

bondom34 wrote:Oh and if anyone believes the ignorant argument of "only 2 more rebounds won the MVP!" they really need to reassess. Dumbest thing I've heard. Harden had a great year. Just not as good. And not because of 2 rebounds. Because Westbrook was and is the better player.

That's not what those people are saying though - they're saying that some people put so much stock into the triple double average that it superseded any and all analysis; hence, "2 more rebounds won the MVP".
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1911 » by bondom34 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:39 am

PockyCandy wrote:

I don't think that Westbrook is a better player than Harden........ but just that he's just more valuable. The Rockets would probably be below average without Harden orchestrating the show and I'm going to assume would be a fringe playoff team at best. But OKC sans Westbrook? That would be such a trainwreck that they'd challenge the Nets for the title of the worst team in the NBA. Whenever I'd watch an OKC game with my family, we'd always talk about how Westbrook had to do EVERYTHING for his team on offense, unlike any other player in the NBA. So again, that doesn't make him better than Harden/Leonard/LeBron/whoever, just the most valuable to his team.

And this is coming from a guy who was on the "Harden for MVP" bandwagon earlier in the season.

That's a totally fair point, and I can respect the opinion. I'd disagree, but can respect it for sure.

kayess wrote:

That's not what those people are saying though - they're saying that some people put so much stock into the triple double average that it superseded any and all analysis; hence, "2 more rebounds won the MVP".

I don't think it's as big a deal as some make it out to be. I think if he had 2 less boards a game he'd have the same case, and still should win. Harden's got random statistical cutoffs of his own too, which are often used to prop him up.

Sorry to both of you for the weird rant, just reading hot takes everywhere the last two days and starting to get really weird. I'm totally cool with anyone picking Harden for MVP or whatever you'd like to feel about him as a player. But the whole "2 rebounds" idea is just inaccurate as to why he deserves it. I'm all up for people making opposing cases but that's not a reason anyone does/doesn't deserve it to me.

I'm just glad it's over. This MVP race has sucked.
kayess
Sixth Man
And1: 1,000

Post#1912 » by kayess » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:58 am

bondom34 wrote:
PockyCandy wrote:

That's a totally fair point, and I can respect the opinion. I'd disagree, but can respect it for sure.

kayess wrote:

I don't think it's as big a deal as some make it out to be. I think if he had 2 less boards a game he'd have the same case, and still should win. Harden's got random statistical cutoffs of his own too, which are often used to prop him up.

Sorry to both of you for the weird rant, just reading hot takes everywhere the last two days and starting to get really weird. I'm totally cool with anyone picking Harden for MVP or whatever you'd like to feel about him as a player. But the whole "2 rebounds" idea is just inaccurate as to why he deserves it. I'm all up for people making opposing cases but that's not a reason anyone does/doesn't deserve it to me.

I'm just glad it's over. This MVP race has sucked.

Right - that's what people like Lowe have been saying as well. If he had 2 less rebounds, he wouldn't have been that much less valuable (if at all). But some people really did vote Westbrook "because triple doubles!!!one!"
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,508

Post#1913 » by GSP » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:13 am

Great performance despite some shockingly poor shooting in the clutch (and that foul was way too early almost cost them)
dfins891
Junior
And1: 292

Post#1914 » by dfins891 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:17 am

Weird to see Westbrook struggle at the line like that at the end. He's always been very clutch at the FT line in his career and has taken many big ones during the playoffs as it was always easier for him to get open on late game inbounds than Durant.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#1915 » by Pillendreher » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:32 am

Too much settling by Russ in the 2nd half. Rockets were baiting him every time down the floor with the switches.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,723

Post#1916 » by Woodsanity » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:44 am

Not a perfect game by any means he was a bit iffy towards the end but still overall a good game. Much better than the first two games and better decision making.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#1917 » by E-Balla » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:06 am

Pillendreher wrote:Too much settling by Russ in the 2nd half. Rockets were baiting him every time down the floor with the switches.

They were switching and giving him the jumper. Don't think those were bad looks and he made a few so it forced them to play the shot late in the game and OKC got 2 buckets because of that late. Remember we (well maybe not everyone) were talking about Lebron in the 2013 Finals not taking wide open jumpers they gave him and instead being passive but when he started shooting them they started winning. Truth is if they're going to dare you to shoot you're supposed to make them pay.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1918 » by bondom34 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:23 am

dfins891 wrote:Weird to see Westbrook struggle at the line like that at the end. He's always been very clutch at the FT line in his career and has taken many big ones during the playoffs as it was always easier for him to get open on late game inbounds than Durant.

I actually legit think he's tiring finally. It feels weird to say but he digs out from so many holes I think so.
Greatness
RealGM
And1: 4,525

Post#1919 » by Greatness » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:37 am

Love how he played tonight. Just in control and not forcing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#1920 » by Pillendreher » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:40 am

E-Balla wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:Too much settling by Russ in the 2nd half. Rockets were baiting him every time down the floor with the switches.

They were switching and giving him the jumper. Don't think those were bad looks and he made a few so it forced them to play the shot late in the game and OKC got 2 buckets because of that late. Remember we (well maybe not everyone) were talking about Lebron in the 2013 Finals not taking wide open jumpers they gave him and instead being passive but when he started shooting them they started winning. Truth is if they're going to dare you to shoot you're supposed to make them pay.

I get that he can't pass those up, but if I'm the Rockets, I can live with that. Those are not high % shots and basically everybody stops defending and just lets him shoot those.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said

Return to Player Comparisons