ImageImageImageImageImage

Starting to firmly believe McGee is a long term starter for the Warriors.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Re: Starting to firmly believe McGee is a long term starter for the Warriors. 

Post#41 » by Coxy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:35 am

My big fear would be the Cavs throwing a nice pay day to him somehow.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#42 » by Coxy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:37 am

ILOVEIT wrote:I posted then pulled the post on the main board.

Based on what you've seen this year, why would any of you prefer DeAndre Jordan over McGee? I personally think with the right support system and coaching he will end up being a higher value and more skilled player than DJ....

Never.

I believe one of the biggest flaws the Clips have is because of Jordan's inability to hit FT's. It's a MASSIVE achilles heal that I never want the Warriors to have again.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,792

Post#43 » by michaelm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:If we trade Klay to Denver for Murray and Hernangomez (+1 first or something) we can fit both McGee and Liv.

Curry/Liv
McCaw/Murray
Durant/Iguodala
Green/Hernangomez
McGee/Jones

Absolutely not.

If they win it all, keep the young healthy highly elite guys, do you think there will be less ring chasers next off season?

If they don't win, unless the mechanism is extreme ill luck with injuries, then all bets are off.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,183

Post#44 » by Impuniti » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:46 pm

We're still on the "sell Klay" story I see....
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#45 » by Flash Falcon X » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:34 pm

MightyReds2020 wrote:Let's see how he'll do against teams like the Spurs first. Spurs' offense would feast on centers who are exactly like McGee - over-eager and jumping off positions all the time.

Spurs have to focus on Curry, Klay, KD and Draymond which means easy lobs for McGee.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
#DubNation
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#46 » by FNQ » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Based on what you've seen this year, why would any of you prefer DeAndre Jordan over McGee? I personally think with the right support system and coaching he will end up being a higher value and more skilled player than DJ....

Look down, see shark.

We can start with rebound rate, where Jordan is at 24.28%. That's insane. He's essentially grabbing 1 boards out of every 4 missed shots, consistently. McGee is no slouch - 18% - but Jordan is 33% better than McGee at rebounding, and he's playing against starters. Jordan is also much better as a positional defender. He's actually among one of the best in the league at it right now, whereas McGee is benefiting more from strategic subbing and not playing heavy minutes against starters.

Now if you'd rather have McGee at 3m/yr over Jordan at 20m/yr, OK. But there's no way on earth the 29 year old McGee is going to make up the massive amount of ground between him and the 28 year old Jordan. If Jordan were afforded the luxury of having a quality defensive PF next to him, he would be even more dominant on defense (and on the boards) than he is now. Which is still pretty dominant.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by FNQ » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:38 pm

and1GS wrote:Really? Two-time All-NBA Third Team and 2015 All Star Starter Klay Thompson is 'just a shooter' to you?

Kyle Korver is 'just a shooter.'
CJ McCollum is 'just a scorer.'
Klay Thompson is on a different planet.

Replace 6'7" Klay with 6'4" CJ McCollum and watch everything we do fall apart.

Its pretty crazy. Just a shooter.. quite possibly the one player in the NBA that teams will break their neck to not let him get rolling. How do you stop Klay when he gets like that? He's too tall for most SGs, and for the ones that are tall enough to bother him, he can run w/o the ball with the best in the league. And he has no conscience - if he's hot he'll shoot a contested 30 fter over you.

I get people want to see smart basketball and extra passes 100% of the time.. cool. But a microwave like Klay - a disservice to even call him that, he's a freaking volcano - has insane value, especially in the playoffs. So you can bet that whoever's guarding Klay will try and be on his hip all game, which takes one defender almost entirely out of the plays that Klay isnt involved in. And this is before you talk about his defensive IQ, his ability to switch and stay on most offensive players too.

We're not trading him so we can keep Shaun Livingston, Javale McGee, a good upside guy (love Murray) and a moderate upside guy (Hernangomez). You make that trade in reverse if you're us. You don't trade quality for quantity, especially now that after this offseason we'll have more exceptions to sign roster filler with.

FWIW, the value on the proposed trade is solid and were we a treadmill team or a team struggling to get over a hump, might be worth it. But considering that Zaza's likely to come back in some way, and we were able to fill out a bench with less flexibility than we'll have this offseason, I see no reason to upset the balance of the roster for hypotheticals. And as most know, I'm a big McGee/Livingston fan - and most dont know I'm big on Jamal Murray as well. Hernangomez.. he's OK. Good value for where he was picked
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by FNQ » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:42 pm

Also as a side note - I think we'll retain McGee w/o any issue. Throw an exception his way for 1 more year and then let him cash out the next year. Livingston, as much as I liked him, has played himself off the roster for next year. Plus, he's due a payday. I'd wish him the best and pursue a veteran backup PG on the market next year
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#49 » by Mylie10 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:36 pm

clyde21 wrote:If we trade Klay to Denver for Murray and Hernangomez (+1 first or something) we can fit both McGee and Liv.

Curry/Liv
McCaw/Murray
Durant/Iguodala
Green/Hernangomez
McGee/Jones

Just stop with the Kay trades Clyde...please....I'm joking as you can do what you want, but they aren't trading Klay
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,269

Post#50 » by CS707 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:33 pm

Kerr was on the radio with Tolbert yesterday and said that Javale's stamina allows him to play about 5 hard minutes max a couple of times over the course of a game. He also mentioned that for role players like McGee system fit is an important factor and made specific reference to Javale having made a lot of money over the years at the expense of the right situation. The candidness of it led me to believe that it's been a conversation they've already had and that Javale might be content with his role and salary. According to Kerr, Javale has stated that this is the most fun he's ever had playing basketball.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#51 » by and1GS » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:42 pm

gst8 wrote:Kerr was on the radio with Tolbert yesterday and said that Javale's stamina allows him to play about 5 hard minutes max a couple of times over the course of a game. He also mentioned that for role players like McGee system fit is an important factor and made specific reference to Javale having made a lot of money over the years at the expense of the right situation. The candidness of it led me to believe that it's been a conversation they've already had and that Javale might be content with his role and salary. According to Kerr, Javale has stated that this is the most fun he's ever had playing basketball.

This is a great point and something i've thought all year. It makes no sense to thrust JaVale into a high-pressure 25-30 mpg role when he's proven time and time again that once the role/expectations get bigger, he gets more unreliable. He's played extremely smart (gasp!) basketball this year and been a selfless teammate, doing everything Kerr has asked of him. IMO his skillset is best suited to, at most, be a 20-22 mpg guy as matchups dictate. I think he's fine with that because he gets to come in, run his ass off, jump and rotate on defense. By the time he's subbed out he hasn't even had enough time to think about making a dumb play.

JaVale has been a revelation, absolutely, but Zaza is still a helpful player for us and we tend to go small for at last 60-65% of games. No need to thrust him into a huge role, but I absolutely believe he can be the new Camby. 20-25 mpg, boards, oops, blocks, rotations and steals. Camby was devastating at that when with the Nuggets and that was after years of injury-shortened seasons.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#52 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Kerr and the coaching staff and the owners and the GM....wow....these guys have their chit together...
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#53 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:43 pm

FNQ wrote:

Look down, see shark.

We can start with rebound rate, where Jordan is at 24.28%. That's insane. He's essentially grabbing 1 boards out of every 4 missed shots, consistently. McGee is no slouch - 18% - but Jordan is 33% better than McGee at rebounding, and he's playing against starters. Jordan is also much better as a positional defender. He's actually among one of the best in the league at it right now, whereas McGee is benefiting more from strategic subbing and not playing heavy minutes against starters.

Now if you'd rather have McGee at 3m/yr over Jordan at 20m/yr, OK. But there's no way on earth the 29 year old McGee is going to make up the massive amount of ground between him and the 28 year old Jordan. If Jordan were afforded the luxury of having a quality defensive PF next to him, he would be even more dominant on defense (and on the boards) than he is now. Which is still pretty dominant.

You make good points...I think it probably comes down to Jordan being a sustainable rebounding defender for an entire game.

But I would suggest also that part of why Jordan dominates rebounding is because the rest of the Clippers are pretty ass poor at it. Similar to Westbrook dominating scoring.... I think Jordan is stronger and is able to hold his position much better defensively.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#54 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Mylie10 wrote:

Curry/Liv
McCaw/Murray
Durant/Iguodala
Green/Hernangomez
McGee/Jones

Just stop with the Kay trades Clyde...please....I'm joking as you can do what you want, but they aren't trading Klay

NEVER.
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#55 » by Kuya » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:03 am

Offer him 4yr/22mil deal and see if he'll bite.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#56 » by The-Power » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:15 am

I'm no cap expert but after re-signing Curry, Durant and Iguodala - in that order - McGee is up next in terms of priority. Throw at him what we have (the MLE?) and see if he wants to continue to be a part of this team. Wouldn't blame him for taking much more money in case it's been offered to him but I believe he'll at least think about it considering how much he has benefited from a clear role and the players around him.

I'd still contend that he's best off the bench. He's great at changing the dynamic of a game, providing a spark and his high usage makes me want to have a lower usage Center starting the game to get Curry, Durant and Klay their shots first so that they can establish a rhythm. But I'd promise him more minutes (14-20 MPG, each game) if he can keep it up.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#57 » by old rem » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:38 pm

likashing wrote:It's often mentioned in the media about keeping Iguodala and Livingston, but I believe McGee is more important than Livingston.
BIRD RIGHTS. GSW is where players wanna be. okay? What CAP we hold before signing up Bird players.. will tend to go to Durant (first) and McGee (second)....then we pay the Bird Rights guys (mainly Curry)ASSUME Myers knows the $ details. It MAY be so that we could pay ONE of McGee,Zaza,West. However... we still could find another Vet Min ring chaser. iggy will be Bird rights and (maybe) Livingston + Clark.

i EXPECT GSW is CHAMPS and has CHEMISTRY. That combo makes much stuff rather easy. :clap: :clap:
CENSORED... No comment.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#58 » by old rem » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:46 pm

The-Power wrote:I'm no cap expert but after re-signing Curry, Durant and Iguodala - in that order - McGee is up next in terms of priority. Throw at him what we have (the MLE?) and see if he wants to continue to be a part of this team. Wouldn't blame him for taking much more money in case it's been offered to him but I believe he'll at least think about it considering how much he has benefited from a clear role and the players around him.

I'd still contend that he's best off the bench. He's great at changing the dynamic of a game, providing a spark and his high usage makes me want to have a lower usage Center starting the game to get Curry, Durant and Klay their shots first so that they can establish a rhythm. But I'd promise him more minutes (14-20 MPG, each game) if he can keep it up.

NO NO... not how it works. Curry is BIRD RIGHTS. We can be well over cap and resign Curry to MAX. That's a sure thing.
Durant is on a 1+1... has an opt out but CAN elect to opt IN. What's that do? Well.. then after NEXT year he's Bird rights. Meanwhile,such a move can help us keep a C, like Mcgee.
CENSORED... No comment.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#59 » by The-Power » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:52 am

old rem wrote:
The-Power wrote:I'm no cap expert but after re-signing Curry, Durant and Iguodala - in that order - McGee is up next in terms of priority. Throw at him what we have (the MLE?) and see if he wants to continue to be a part of this team. Wouldn't blame him for taking much more money in case it's been offered to him but I believe he'll at least think about it considering how much he has benefited from a clear role and the players around him.

NO NO... not how it works. Curry is BIRD RIGHTS. We can be well over cap and resign Curry to MAX. That's a sure thing.
Durant is on a 1+1... has an opt out but CAN elect to opt IN. What's that do? Well.. then after NEXT year he's Bird rights. Meanwhile,such a move can help us keep a C, like Mcgee.

I wasn't talking about chronological order of signing them but priority.
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#60 » by statsman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Kuya wrote:Offer him 4yr/22mil deal and see if he'll bite.

While McGee has said that money isn't a huge issue for him, I don't know if he would sign long-term starting at the taxpayer MLE (estimated to be $5.2M next season). He might agree to a 1+1 at $10.6M ($5.2M/$5.4M), but then the expectation is he would re-sign with his early Bird rights, which @175% would max out at around $9.2M two seasons from now.

Return to Golden State Warriors