ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread Fury's #9 FTW! - Picking 7th Currently (Also, no to Isaac.)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,975

Re: Draft Thread Fury's #9 FTW! - Picking 7th Currently (Also, no to Isaac.) 

Post#1941 » by whocares1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Orlando is another wild card. They could probably use everything. Hopefully they mess up there pick and draft whoever is gonna bust

I think they're gunning for Tatum or Issac. They want a 3 that can play four.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#1942 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:56 pm

shtolky wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:1. Fultz
2. Jackson
3. Ball
4. Fox
5. DSJ

Not sure what I would do after that yet

Frank/Monk/Tatum/Issac/Lauri?

I think that will be the order

Those seem to be the 5 best with Tatum probably in there before fox

I think we will be looking at monk or frank at 7

If you're talking about the current lottery order, I can't see why Philly takes Fox. He might be the 4th most talented player, but given how they roster is set, I think the last thing they need is a PG whose weakness is shooting given they have been talking up Simmons as their point. That team needs a shooter (Monk) and and maybe a defensive SF (Isaac) if they don't think Covington is the answer.

I'm basically saying the top 6 talents in the draft are the 5 listed and Tatum

so when it gets to us I expect it will be Monk or Frank were picking between

however Phili would be smart to take Monk or Tatum
perhaps Fox will fall to us if were lucky
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1943 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:56 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
OrangeAndFlu wrote:Can we for one second entertain the possibility of a markannen KP Melo front line ?

Offensively it would be insane he's got the foot speed to become competent defensively and we can only expect KP to fill out more

Willy I don't buy as a full time starter and I'm not super optimistic on the upside because of the lack of athleticism

I would still rather a guard but I'm prepped to be disappointed
nah
With Willy around and the smaller Pfs who are doing so well in the league this wouldn't make sense

Monk would be better if we're looking at spacing and scoring

If we fall back and he drops, I can see us taking Isaac to play the 4 and KP at the 5. Make WHG the 6th man who gets 28-30 mpg and can play next to either.

i see zero chance of that

hes not the player we want
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,134

Post#1944 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:57 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Orlando is another wild card. They could probably use everything. Hopefully they mess up there pick and draft whoever is gonna bust

Orlando would seem to need a PF most, followed by a SG, as I think Fournier probably really a 3. Fournier I think gives them an option to go 2 or 3, but it seems a 4 is the biggest need.

Then again, like the Knicks, they suck, so sort of need a bit of everything
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,658

Post#1945 » by shtolky » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:02 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
shtolky wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
With Smith Jr and Fox potentially gone, I'm not really sold on Frankie N as that "awesome PG". It's no sure thing. It's more like "very questionable, might be possible awesome PG and just as likely some guy who's a cadillac Mardy Collins"

Well I said could be. Anyone who claims they know that Frank is going to suck, or Fox and Smith will be awesome, is just speculating. I was simply making a comparison between the 2009 draft with Hill being a clear consolation prize (I remember being very upset Curry was taken before us and hating the Hill pick) and this upcoming draft with so many potential guys. I am not even saying Fox or Smith will be awesome, but I think it's easy to see that Frank is a much better prospect than Hill was. The drop from Curry to Hill was enormous. I am not sure there is much of a drop if any from Fox/Smith to Frank. Time will tell.

Well, that much is true. The Knicks blew a few picks on guys after Derozan, but the talent did drop off. Then again, Flynn and Thabeet were massive reaches. But agree the talent doesn't drop off in the same way.

But IF Frank N doesn't pan out, I think it would be fair to look back and say the PG talent dropped after Fox/Smith Jr.

Knicks aren't in control enough of their destiny once again. They have to hope at least 2 SF types go in the top rounds. Jackson is a sure thing, then the Knicks are left wishing, as someone else posted, that Tatum or Issac go top 6 (one of them)

Well sure, but the same logic applies if he ends up being the best of the bunch. I just don't see THAT much of a difference right now between the guards in this draft after Fultz and Ball. I think any of Monk, Frank, Smith, Fox could be the best of the bunch. It's just too hard to tell right now. It's not like other drafts when there is a clear drop off in talent, right now at least. That's why drafts are an inexact science, it's very hard to predict how a player will translate at the next level. Some guys come in and just get it, some fold, some are just average. That's what makes it unsettling but exciting at the same time. I also think we do somewhat control our destiny. There are so many good prospects in this draft that no matter what happens 1-6, we have a choice to make. I think if you are sitting at 10 or 11, then the choice is just the BPA who falls, but with us, there will be a decision to make regardless. Tatum is 100% going top 6. I hate making predictions, but that much I can almost say with certainty. I would be absolutely stunned if he didn't.
shtolky
Head Coach

Post#1946 » by shtolky » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:04 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
shtolky wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:I think that will be the order

Those seem to be the 5 best with Tatum probably in there before fox

I think we will be looking at monk or frank at 7

If you're talking about the current lottery order, I can't see why Philly takes Fox. He might be the 4th most talented player, but given how they roster is set, I think the last thing they need is a PG whose weakness is shooting given they have been talking up Simmons as their point. That team needs a shooter (Monk) and and maybe a defensive SF (Isaac) if they don't think Covington is the answer.

Gotcha. Yes I think those are the top 6 talents, but fortunately for us, not all of the top 6 fit on those top 6 teams. Orlando and Minny are the wildcards to me, as I keep saying, I cannot see Philly taking a point when they have Simmons on their roster, a unique PG weapon that they have to take advantage of.
shtolky
Head Coach

Post#1947 » by shtolky » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:07 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

Orlando would seem to need a PF most, followed by a SG, as I think Fournier probably really a 3. Fournier I think gives them an option to go 2 or 3, but it seems a 4 is the biggest need.

Payton actually had a pretty nice season. Post all-star break he was 13, 8, and 7 with 51% fg and only 2.5 TO per game. Seems like Tatum or Monk are the perfect fits for them. Lucky for us we are the team desperate for a point whereas the others not as much.
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#1948 » by SmoothLefty21 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Crossing my fingers that a team like ORL falls in love with Isaac. There's gotta be one surprise in store on draft night.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,348

Post#1949 » by dakomish23 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:10 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:nah
With Willy around and the smaller Pfs who are doing so well in the league this wouldn't make sense

Monk would be better if we're looking at spacing and scoring

If we fall back and he drops, I can see us taking Isaac to play the 4 and KP at the 5. Make WHG the 6th man who gets 28-30 mpg and can play next to either.

How do you know that? You know someone who works for the FO?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
HoneyNutMelos
Pro Prospect
And1: 81

Post#1950 » by HoneyNutMelos » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:11 pm

Bleacher Report Mock Draft Top 10, updated about 3 hours ago

1 Boston Celtics - Markelle Fultz
2 Phoenix Suns - Josh Jackson
3 Los Ang Lakers - Lonzo Ball
4 Philly 76ers - Malik Monk
5 Orlando Magic - Jayson Tatum
6 Minn Twolves - Jonathan Isaac
7 New York Knicks - De'Aaron Fox
8 Dallas Mavericks - Lauri Markkanen
9 Sactown Kings - Frank Ntilikina
10 Sactown Kings - Zach Collins

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2704797-2017-nba-mock-draft-predictions-for-prospects-who-will-sneak-into-1st-round

EDIT: Sorry forgot to include a link
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#1951 » by EchelonNYK » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:14 pm

My man Monk is climbing.
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#1952 » by SmoothLefty21 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:14 pm

HoneyNutMelos wrote:Bleacher Report Mock Draft Top 10, updated about 3 hours ago

Top 5 make sense if the ping pong balls stay true. Still nervous about MIN at #6.
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,002

Post#1953 » by Reign23 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:16 pm

if ORL stays at 5 they take tatum or isaac. bet on it. and it's not a wrong decision for them!
formerly known as knickst4pe
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#1954 » by NY2TheBay » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:32 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

Gordon is being moved to the 4 full time next season from what Ive heard. They traded for Terrance Ross to that could mean Fournier moves so the 3 and they draft a PG. Or Ross is the sixth man and they start Fournier at the 2 and draft Tatum to play the small forward.
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#1955 » by EchelonNYK » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm

New sig on deck.

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1956 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:54 pm

NY2TheBay wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Gordon is being moved to the 4 full time next season from what Ive heard. They traded for Terrance Ross to that could mean Fournier moves to the 3 and they draft a PG. Or Ross is the sixth man and they start Fournier at the 2 and draft Tatum to play the small forward.

Hopefully Payton played well enough at PG to convince no one but Orlando he's worthy of being a starting PG and they don't draft a PG.

Ok, I wasn't sure if Orlando was that high on Gordon or not. He's athletic as hell and was drafted high so they should be. I thought of him more as a 3, but if he moves to 4 and Fournier to 3, Monk makes sense for them. Or Fournier stays at 2 and they go Tatum

Orlando, agreed, seems like Tatum or Monk, depending on what Philly does
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1957 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:56 pm

SmoothLefty21 wrote:
HoneyNutMelos wrote:Bleacher Report Mock Draft Top 10, updated about 3 hours ago

Top 5 make sense if the ping pong balls stay true. Still nervous about MIN at #6.

Without any movement, this makes sense. Agreed on TWolves. I'm still pissed about missing out on Rubio after they took 2 PG's in a row. Maybe that's why.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1958 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:01 pm

shtolky wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
shtolky wrote:

Gotcha. Yes I think those are the top 6 talents, but fortunately for us, not all of the top 6 fit on those top 6 teams. Orlando and Minny are the wildcards to me, as I keep saying, I cannot see Philly taking a point when they have Simmons on their roster, a unique PG weapon that they have to take advantage of.

I hope that's so

And I think Orlando wants a sf

I think Orl will take Tatum if they can and Phili will take either monk or DSJ depending on their thinking. Probably DSJ. Simmons can play point but penetration is still an issue and DSJ can score for them
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1959 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:03 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

How do you know that? You know someone who works for the FO?
no
I'm an intelligent human being able to express an opinion
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#1960 » by Dantares » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:08 pm

monk really is a nice fit for philly. on any other team he would be a 6'3 170 pound undersized shooting guard. TJ Mconnel is not a good 3 point shooter and it seems like sergio Rodriguez had a fluke year shooting 36.5% from 3's. Monk will be able to stretch the floor nicely for embid, saric and simmons. I don't see them passing on Monk because guards that play for calipari have a very good success rate.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Return to New York Knicks