ImageImageImageImageImage

Melo Trade Thread Offseason Edition 1

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Re: Melo Trade Thread Offseason Edition 1 

Post#401 » by Rotten Apple » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:35 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
That deal, take away Boston pick swap, leave Boston's low first rounder and it could get done. But don't they like Zeller?

Bradley will be gone soon I think so they might want to hold onto Smart. Zeller/KOQ works in their favor.

So essentially Crowder plus 2018 1st which would be in the 20s is a steal for Boston in my eyes.

Thomas
Bradley/Smart
Brown
Melo
Horford/KOQ

Plus whoever they get with the 2017 pick.

I just don't see Ainge giving up the Nets pick(s) without getting a stud(Anthony Davis, Giannis, Kawhi type) or someone with huge upside(KP)

And really, besides the fact that Ainge is a greedy smug pr*ck, really no GM is trading a top pick (this years BK) unless it's a more prime star. And next years, while I really don't think it has the same value, there is still that "dice roll" factor that maybe the Nets suck again and it's a high pick. Again, I think most GM's hold those picks, not Ainge. And any GM then deals their lower own pick like it's house money. Ainge is the sort who wants to hold onto both, though, and that's sort of clown like at this point. Lets see what he does this offseason.

He's the guy who takes Monopoly way too seriously. The funny thing is the coaching staff wanted Melo but Ainge was thinking about free agency. So once he strikes out it might get us a little bit of leverage if a deal is made.

But if he strikes out it could bring some doubt to Melo and I honestly think he wants to be a Clipper if he had his choice since they're the one team that he can go to and maybe they join the conversation of the top contenders in the league.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,146

Post#402 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Bradley will be gone soon I think so they might want to hold onto Smart. Zeller/KOQ works in their favor.

So essentially Crowder plus 2018 1st which would be in the 20s is a steal for Boston in my eyes.

Thomas
Bradley/Smart
Brown
Melo
Horford/KOQ

I just don't see Ainge giving up the Nets pick(s) without getting a stud(Anthony Davis, Giannis, Kawhi type) or someone with huge upside(KP)

And really, besides the fact that Ainge is a greedy smug pr*ck, really no GM is trading a top pick (this years BK) unless it's a more prime star. And next years, while I really don't think it has the same value, there is still that "dice roll" factor that maybe the Nets suck again and it's a high pick. Again, I think most GM's hold those picks, not Ainge. And any GM then deals their lower own pick like it's house money. Ainge is the sort who wants to hold onto both, though, and that's sort of clown like at this point. Lets see what he does this offseason.

He's the guy who takes Monopoly way too seriously. The funny thing is the coaching staff wanted Melo but Ainge was thinking about free agency. So once he strikes out it might get us a little bit of leverage if a deal is made.

But if he strikes out it could bring some doubt to Melo and I honestly think he wants to be a Clipper if he had his choice since they're the one team that he can go to and maybe they join the conversation of the top contenders in the league.

I think Melo's prime choice is the Clips but the thought of rubbing it in to NYC in a Celts uniform would appeal.
nykfan42
Head Coach
And1: 3,077

Post#403 » by nykfan42 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:Melo/KP for 2017 Nets pick, 2018 Nets swap, 2 more additional firsts whenever and matching salaries.

Who says no besides Ainge?

If they trade KP I'm quitting as a Knicks fan. That would be beyond stupid.
Make the Knicks great again!
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#404 » by dakomish23 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:57 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Not sure why BOS does this deal. They can get better guys if they want to.

WHO?

Ainge only wants highway robbery trades. I know Melo isn't getting us a BK pick but I think under the right circumstances a deal can be reached but I don't think Melo wants to play in Boston, green will make him look fatter :lol:

PG IMO.

If I'm an NBA GM, I'm paying more for the better player than less for the lesser player.

Maybe Ainge just values the BKN picks too much to pay the price for PG and says let me pay less to give this core a boost. Let's him still build his young core for the next chapter.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#405 » by EricAnderson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:why would boston go for carmelo when they can probably use that brooklyn pick to get a frustrated paul george thats about to get 4-0'd in the first round and is a better player and fit than carmelo

Boston isn't giving us the Nets pick for Melo. If we get anything back it will be Crowder
Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Post#406 » by Rotten Apple » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:02 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:Not sure why BOS does this deal. They can get better guys if they want to.

WHO?

Ainge only wants highway robbery trades. I know Melo isn't getting us a BK pick but I think under the right circumstances a deal can be reached but I don't think Melo wants to play in Boston, green will make him look fatter :lol:

PG IMO.

If I'm an NBA GM, I'm paying more for the better player than less for the lesser player.

Maybe Ainge just values the BKN picks too much to pay the price for PG and says let me pay less to give this core a boost. Let's him still build his young core for the next chapter.

George is suspect imo. Dude wants to clearly move on so I'm with Ainge not going hard after him.

The Jimmy ship has sailed, Hayward is good but again doesn't move the needle that much imo, they aren't getting a Giannis, AD or Kawhi.

Tough spot Ainge is in right now. Maybe they make a play for Westbrook.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#407 » by EricAnderson » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:05 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
That deal, take away Boston pick swap, leave Boston's low first rounder and it could get done. But don't they like Zeller?

Thomas
Bradley/Smart
Brown
Melo
Horford/KOQ

I don't see why people think Ainge is stupid if he doesn't trade those picks. Neither Butler or George puts them over the top to a title.

He's gonna have two high picks in two years why not keep them get two young studs wait till Lebron falls off and run the east for a decade starting in about 2 or 3 more years
Esq-4
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#408 » by Esq-4 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Does Crowder make sense for us, should we look for 25 and under? I mean he's young, but is he what we really should be looking for? If anything, he would be a good fit in BOS next Melo. Don't get me wrong, I like him.

BOS seems to make the most sense. But Paul might be the best guy for him to play with.
nykfan42
Head Coach
And1: 3,077

Post#409 » by nykfan42 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Boston is a great fit for Melo. Crowder and him together doesn't make sense, they play the same position. I like Crowder bc he is a very good role player. Throw in a 1st rd pick and I'm happy.
Make the Knicks great again!
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#410 » by Billy Goat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
Nyk_Fatboy wrote:why would boston go for carmelo when they can probably use that brooklyn pick to get a frustrated paul george thats about to get 4-0'd in the first round and is a better player and fit than carmelo

Boston isn't giving us the Nets pick for Melo. If we get anything back it will be Crowder

you're not even getting that.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#411 » by dakomish23 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Here's a Crowder thread from the Chowdah heads started by a guy named Crowder Keg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,093

Post#412 » by moocow007 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:35 pm

PorzinGAWD wrote:
Knickerbock wrote:Would Miami want to dump Chris Bosh's contract..? I see that Miami is not very interested in building through the draft.. But would they want Carmelo Anthony ..?

I think his contract is going to come off the Heat cap.

Unless he agrees to retire (he has not) AND the retirement qualifies for 'career ending injury' (highly debatable right now) Bosh's contract is not coming off the Heat's cap (nor the cap of the team trading for him).

And in order for his retirement to be classified under 'career ending injury' it would require all of the following:

1. the player to actually be willing to retire (Bosh has not and continues to insist he's not retiring),
2. for a doctor to confirm that his condition is indeed career ending (to this point no medical professional has indicated it is as far as I have been able to determine),
3. for the league to agree to it (the league will not easily agree to this as they would be responsible for flipping the bill),
4. for the players association to agree to it (which, if Bosh refuses to retire they certainly will not agree to).

I would imagine that the Knicks would have to take Bosh back. Miami's ownership doesn't have deep pockets. They have been trying to get Bosh to agree to head down the 'career ending injury' path because they want his salary removed from their cap to save money (he's basically a deadweight contract from their standpoint). And this (taking Bosh's contract back) may not be a big deal for NY if they are willing to come to terms with the reality that no impact free agent is going to sign with them which means they won't really need to relieve cap space in an Anthony trade. Also the Knicks are one of the few teams that can take deadweight contracts on and not have an issue with from a financial standpoint. Of course this assumes that there's actually a reason for the Knicks to take Bosh's contract and basically just carry it for 2 more years...they need to get assets from Miami.

If we take McRoberts back they could potentially have the same team that went on the winning streak last year, but Melo instead of Dion Waiters who played well but also only played in 46 game total for them and might get a very large contract from the 76ers to play for his hometown of Philly.

Melo is a 2 year contract, so its not to long of a contract if it doesn't work out, though I think that lineup fits exactly what Melo needs to thrive, a PG like Dragic who can get easy transition points so Melo can score easy 3's as a trailer and in the half court Dragic can be a reliable a 3 pt shooter Melo can pass to if he tries to post up. A defensive center like Whiteside that would keep opponents from driving pass Melo, so all Melo would have to guard against is opponents shooting. Hell even James Johnson works with Melo because he can guard the better opposing Wing player and Melo can play PF on offense and SF on defense if he wants. Short term the Heat win that trade by a mile and should be a mid to high seed playoff team. Also add in all the perks from living Miami and the storyline of Melo going there and playing against both Wade's Bulls and Lebron's Cavs games will be must see TV. Melo would likely thrive there and Riley probably knows that. Its just Riley is also a liar, which makes him a good poker player. Though he did say he was open to trades to make the team better.

#14, Winslow and McRoberts on the other hand could in the long term work best for the knicks. Winslow offensively is.... tragic, but he is a good defender and passer. If he can develop an outside shot he is as good a 3&D player as you can ask for in the triangle due to his passing ability. He is young enough maybe that he can become better offensively and he'll see minutes at starting SF as Melo's replacement. As for Pick 14 its not great (Riley called it a purgatory pick I believe) but its another asset to either draft or possibly flip into a future 2018 pick or another asset. McRoberts would be another Big to spell Willy and KP through the season and might make Kyle a little more disposable for a separate trade. If the plan is to rebuild for the future it could really pay off in 2-3 seasons.

Anthony could be a good fit depending on what Riley wants. And yep, Riley, unlike Jackson, never let's the outside world know what he really wants to do (see "Big 3") and often says one thing and does another. As far as the package? That may be a bit high. I think you're looking at the Knicks need to take Bosh (who makes about the same as Anthony over the next 2 seasons) if you want to talk about Winslow and the #14.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#413 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Rotten Apple wrote:
Yeah sure :lol:

Do you even know who Danny Ainge is?

Thomas
Bradley/Smart
Brown
Melo
Horford/KOQ

Why will Bradley be gone soon?? He's the main guy i'd want in a trade with Boston even more than Crowder but would love Crowder as well.
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#414 » by Jimmit79 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:37 pm

People are so quick to trade kp without realizing how hard is it to find a talented player in draft it's like they think they're trading one kp for 2 to 3 more kps lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#415 » by moocow007 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:People are so quick to trade kp without realizing how hard is it to find a talented player in draft it's like they think they're trading one kp for 2 to 3 more kps lol.

Yep. :lol:
delvec19
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,920

Post#416 » by delvec19 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:58 pm

You'd think all the Jordan Hills, Mike Sweetneys, and Ronaldo Balkmans of the world would make people understand how difficult it is.
NYF13
Senior
And1: 297

Post#417 » by NYF13 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:04 pm

I think Carmelo will be traded to either of these 3 teams:
1. BOSTON CELTICS
2. TORONTO RAPTORS
3. CHICAGO BULLS (if Wade opts-in)
Not seeing Knicks aggreeing to trade since Clippers don't have a 1st round pick.
Thought(s)?
In short, all I am saying is RJ-Brunson-Grimes-Quickley-Randle are the untouchables moving forward.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#418 » by moocow007 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:04 pm

delvec19 wrote:You'd think all the Jordan Hills, Mike Sweetneys, and Ronaldo Balkmans of the world would make people understand how difficult it is.

Yeah I think 'denial' is the first of many defense mechanisms folks use when they have been battered and beaten for too long. They've blocked those guys out of their minds. Along with the Kenny Skywalkers of the world. :lol:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,200

Post#419 » by DOT » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:05 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Jimmit79 wrote:People are so quick to trade kp without realizing how hard is it to find a talented player in draft it's like they think they're trading one kp for 2 to 3 more kps lol.

Yep. :lol:

Somebody mentioned trading KP?

BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#420 » by moocow007 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:07 pm

NYF13 wrote:I think Carmelo will be traded to either of these 3 teams:
1. BOSTON CELTICS
2. TORONTO RAPTORS
3. CHICAGO BULLS (if Wade opts-in)
Not seeing Knicks aggreeing to trade since Clippers don't have a 1st round pick.
Thought(s)?

The Clippers are the least attractive team to trade Anthony to (they really have no assets other than their Big 3 that come anywhere close in value for the Knicks where they are (should be) at) that's for sure. But I'm afraid that the Clippers are very much a possibility and the only reason that the thought of Austin Rivers as the "main piece" of what they'd get back would be palatable is to see the look on the faces of folks that want Anthony gone at all costs (which possibly includes Jackson himself) when they realize what they end up getting in Rivers. :lol:

Return to New York Knicks