ImageImageImageImageImage

West wants Consultant Job, Lakers won't offer it to him.

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

SashaTheMachine
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Re: West wants Consultant Job, Lakers won't offer it to him. 

Post#21 » by SashaTheMachine » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:43 am

MelosSoreWrist wrote:If West positively influences one major free agent to come to LA, he will be worth it. If he steers one major trade positively for the Lakers, he will be worth it. And frankly I trust Jerry's levelheadedness especially in the early stages more than that of Magic and Rob

Exactly. I'm honestly not sure if he's ever made a bad decision.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,677

Post#22 » by dockingsched » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:54 am

Jerry West and his loyalty for Jim Buss/Mitch Kupchak and his criticism of Jeanie/Phil's relationship way back when will be the reason he won't be brought back. Jerry West left cause of all things Phil Jackson, including the relationship he had with Jeanie.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#23 » by ALL HAIL » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:13 am

dockingsched wrote:Jerry West and his loyalty for Jim Buss/Mitch Kupchak and his criticism of Jeanie/Phil's relationship way back when will be the reason he won't be brought back. Jerry West left cause of all things Phil Jackson, including the relationship he had with Jeanie.

You think it has more to do with Jeannie Buss than Magic?

You could very well be right, but something tells me that if Magic wanted West, he'd be here.

I think Magic likes that him and Pelinka are newbies, and he gets the final call. He doesn't want West flexing his muscles on him, garnishing more respect in the room than him.

I'm not surprised often, but this surprises me. Up until now I had amagic pegged as a guy that would do whatever it took to get the Lakers back. Now I see that he wants them to get back to glory, but as long as it's clear to the world that they got back under his leadership and basketball wisdom ... and noon else.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#24 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:03 am

I'm sorry but i really chuckled a bit at the whole "Jeanie will forever revere Jerry"........
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#25 » by BEazy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:07 am

Maybe Jeanie wants Ryan West to have a shot at building something on his own without his father's help.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#26 » by Dr Aki » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:48 am

Even if at most it's a PR move, hire do you not make it?

West's name is synonymous with GM mastery
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#27 » by danfantastk32 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:54 am

ALL HAIL wrote:
dockingsched wrote:Jerry West and his loyalty for Jim Buss/Mitch Kupchak and his criticism of Jeanie/Phil's relationship way back when will be the reason he won't be brought back. Jerry West left cause of all things Phil Jackson, including the relationship he had with Jeanie.

You could very well be right, but something tells me that if Magic wanted West, he'd be here.

I think Magic likes that him and Pelinka are newbies, and he gets the final call. He doesn't want West flexing his muscles on him, garnishing more respect in the room than him.

I'm not surprised often, but this surprises me. Up until now I had amagic pegged as a guy that would do whatever it took to get the Lakers back. Now I see that he wants them to get back to glory, but as long as it's clear to the world that they got back under his leadership and basketball wisdom ... and noon else.

Sorry guys...but this was exactly what I was talking about. Don't you think there aughta be some legs to this story before we go pointing fingers and who did/didn't want Jerry to come back?

I really don't think Jerry's gonna start these conversations in the first round of his team's playoff run. Has he thrown a heads-up to his son? Possibly.

Look.....I'd love Jerry back here as much as the next guy. But we really shouldn't be blaming Magic or Jeanie for this yet.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#28 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:55 am

ALL HAIL wrote:

I think the fear is less that West will flex his muscles and try to overrule Magic or Pelinka, and more about not wanting credit to go to West if the Lakers make strides the next couple of years. In reality, there's more than enough credit to go around if the ship is righted...

Magic and Rob must feel pretty confident about their abilities to turn down a consulting off from Jerry (if the reports are true).

EDIT- OTOH maybe you are right- maybe Magic is afraid Jerry West is going to pull a 'Magic' on him- come in as an advisor/consultant, do a couple of interviews where you suddenly announce your big dreams to run the Lakers, 3 days later he's President of Basketball Operations!!
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#29 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:06 am

this franchise i swear......

Just bring him in you absolute baffoons. Magic needs the damn help, its clear he doesn't really know what he's doing yet (of course he doesn't, he doesn't have the experience) so what harm could some advice to.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#30 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Think of it this way- let's say they bring him in as a consultant, just to provide another viewpoint on things. The media and everyone celebrates the move, all is great. The Lakers end up making a couple of good moves in the offseason, draft the right player, etc. and makes serious strides next season. Who's going to get the 'credit' (even if they end up making moves that West doesn't agree with)? Everyone is going to point to Jerry West. Heck, they may even credit West if Lakers have good luck at the lottery.

I think that's Magic's fear (conscious or subconscious.) I'm not saying it's right, or even relevant- as I said there will be plenty of credit to spread around if the Lakers right the ship. More generously, it could also be suggested that Magic doesn't want to spread the perception that Rob needs outside help and is not 100% qualified and capable of being the Laker GM.

But like everyone else, I think bringing him in as a consultant is a no-brainer.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#31 » by Jody Smokz » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:53 pm

Or maybe that's his desire. Fans opinions don't matter. Consultant's job are to counsel. They have all the heads they need there now. Let them do work. Some people seem to think that West can just turn everything into gold. Well maybe the new regime can too. Why do they need to run behind the past?

ScHoolBoy B wrote:Maybe Jeanie wants Ryan West to have a shot at building something on his own without his father's help.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#32 » by Laker_Kid » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:00 pm

there's a few Laker greats I've been praying to be absorbed into the Lakers organization in a certain extent, such as DFish(now comentator for us), Kobe and Shaq(maybe as assistant coaches/trainers), and the logo. this is a must-move imo. dude practially turns every team he touches into gold(grizzlies, warriors). we need every help we can get.

if there's any indication at all that this is true, he needs to be our "Luke signing" this offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#33 » by RingsDontLie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:01 pm

We should hire him. This is a big no brainer. And rather its insulting that we havent asked him to come aboard. I think it has more to do with age. He is 80 and was hospitalized for a fall in February. That is probably what is factoring in unfortunately. We are probably thinking more about whats good for West in that regard is my guess.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#34 » by Kilroy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:27 pm

Best case scenario in all this is that Magic and/or Jeannie are afraid that West will steal some of the spotlight/credit from them if they hire them... Which IMO is pretty much the worst case scenario for a Magic/Jeannie run Lakers franchise...

Because that's pretty much exactly what they accused Jim and Mitch of doing with Magic and Phil before that.

It's really not that difficult to get in front of the situation and ensure your name comes first when the praise is handed out. "I've reached out to Jerry West to come on board in an advisory role. The man's a legend and one of the best brains in the business as far as assembling winning talent, and I can't think of a better addition to my team than him."
West would be happy to stay out of the spotlight at this point.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#35 » by ALL HAIL » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:58 pm

Kilroy wrote:Best case scenario in all this is that Magic and/or Jeannie are afraid that West will steal some of the spotlight/credit from them if they hire them... Which IMO is pretty much the worst case scenario for a Magic/Jeannie run Lakers franchise...

Because that's pretty much exactly what they accused Jim and Mitch of doing with Magic and Phil before that.

It's really not that difficult to get in front of the situation and ensure your name comes first when the praise is handed out. "I've reached out to Jerry West to come on board in an advisory role. The man's a legend and one of the best brains in the business as far as assembling winning talent, and I can't think of a better addition to my team than him."
West would be happy to stay out of the spotlight at this point.

After Buss and Kupchak (I was never a fan), I believe in Magic.

That being said, West is one of my idols. It's preposterous to think that an organization trying their hardest to win wouldn't hire West.

Seems like it's bad karma too.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,285

Post#36 » by Jedi32 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:24 pm

i'm as pro magic as anyone i have ever met,but i don't agree with him here. if we can get west back in any capacity please magic do it.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,257

Post#37 » by Frank Dux » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:06 am

This is nothing more than an unsubstantiated rumor. We finally have very strong leadership at the top. Magic is a great presence as the face of the franchise, and will provide the legitimacy and charisma to draw FA's. We also have a CBA whiz, and a closer in Pelinka. On top of that we have top tier scouting.

Why do we have to continue to pile it on the front office? If you guys had it your way, we would have Phil as the GM, and he's been pretty much worse than Jim Buss so far.

I'm excited for the future. I'm a huge fan of Jerry West, but the man is nearing 80, and who knows whether this rumor is true or not anyways?

I'm sick of the complaining, and sick of the negativity. The franchise is in a good place, and I'm excited to see what the new regime will do. Jerry West had his incredible run, but he's with the Warriors right now anyways.
giju11
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#38 » by giju11 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:06 am

Bottom line is that we have a problem with "player evaluation"

Magic and pelinka have yet to prove that they can accurately evaluate talent in both the draft and free agents

West is the #1 player evaluator of all time..and u don't want him

That's what's wrong with Lakers...terrible decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
giju11
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#39 » by giju11 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:08 am

All of the championships in LA have been with West spearheading ...even the championship won by Kobe and Gasol were orchestrated by West..he is the one that hand delivered Gasol to the Lakers (since he was in Memphis)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#40 » by LAKESHOW » Wed May 3, 2017 1:42 am

The story is untrue. We have THE SON OF JERRY WEST here in place within our front office. Jerry West is not and does not want to undermine that in any way shape or form. Now... if Jerry wants sway and influence in the LAKERS front office, simple, call his son.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions

Return to Los Angeles Lakers