ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA 2017 Draft thread. 5th pick and 10th pick.

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Re: NBA 2017 Draft thread. 8th pick and 10th (Pelicans) pick. Draft Lottery is at May 16. 

Post#641 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:56 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:I think the Kings are just being smart and selective about their assets. He is still under our control for the most part, being a RFA and he has value(how much can be debated). Why deflate Ben value in anyway?

I think the only thing that will stop Bogdanovic from playing in the NBA this year is if the Kings don't make him happy contract wise. It's the real reason I believe he isn't hear already. If he is scared off by Ben or Malachi then he might as well stay in Turkey.

I also wouldn't be surprised if one of the 4 SGs is moved, if not around draft time, then after summer league when we (and everyone else) has had a good look at them.

No reason to rush this decision. What happens if we make a promise to one of them that we can't deliver because of another's performance or someone gets hurt. Prudence is the key here.

What value? Besides the language used was a bit strong. Joerger calling him "family" and being very clear they want him back. Not that it should be any issue otherwise it's just means one of two things happen, they end up "turning their back on him" and it somehow looks bad mainly because of the Cuz backlash prior or they re-sign him and create another Jason Thompson situation all over again.

I respect your opinion. But because you don't like him or his game doesn't mean he doesn't have value as a player. Also trading someone doesn't mean they are "turning their back on them". It means the move they made is in the best interest of the team in their opinion. It's all in how the person takes it.

Looking at it in another way, talking up a player goes toward inflating their value. Whether other teams believe is up to them.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: NBA 2017 Draft thread. 8th pick and 10th (Pelicans) pick. Draft Lottery is at May 16. 

Post#642 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:49 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:I think the Kings are just being smart and selective about their assets. He is still under our control for the most part, being a RFA and he has value(how much can be debated). Why deflate Ben value in anyway?

I think the only thing that will stop Bogdanovic from playing in the NBA this year is if the Kings don't make him happy contract wise. It's the real reason I believe he isn't hear already. If he is scared off by Ben or Malachi then he might as well stay in Turkey.

I also wouldn't be surprised if one of the 4 SGs is moved, if not around draft time, then after summer league when we (and everyone else) has had a good look at them.

No reason to rush this decision. What happens if we make a promise to one of them that we can't deliver because of another's performance or someone gets hurt. Prudence is the key here.

What value? Besides the language used was a bit strong. Joerger calling him "family" and being very clear they want him back. Not that it should be any issue otherwise it's just means one of two things happen, they end up "turning their back on him" and it somehow looks bad mainly because of the Cuz backlash prior or they re-sign him and create another Jason Thompson situation all over again.

I respect your opinion. But because you don't like him or his game doesn't mean he doesn't have value as a player. Also trading someone doesn't mean they are "turning their back on them". It means the move they made is in the best interest of the team in their opinion. It's all in how the person takes it.

Looking at it in another way, talking up a player goes toward inflating their value. Whether other teams believe is up to them.

I never said either of those things, but it doesn't take any level of genius to see a path leading to the same place time and time again. That's plain common sense. In terms of his value, it was fairly open that they were looking to move him recently, and no takers. We'll see what the QO does, but in todays NBA it doesn't seem to do much as far as sign and trades go.

As for turning their back, I was talking public perception following the Cuz trade, hence the quotation marks. Talking up a player, or setting practical guarantees is the exact issue that created the backlash when Cuz was traded. Geoff Petrie could teach a class on how to do it properly. There was a reason he spoke in whatever code he did speak in when it came to these sorts of things. :lol:
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#643 » by benchmobbin02 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:57 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

I never said either of those things, but it doesn't take any level of genius to see a path leading to the same place time and time again. That's plain common sense. In terms of his value, it was fairly open that they were looking to move him recently, and no takers. We'll see what the QO does, but in todays NBA it doesn't seem to do much as far as sign and trades go.

As for turning their back, I was talking public perception following the Cuz trade, hence the quotation marks. Talking up a player, or setting practical guarantees is the exact issue that created the backlash when Cuz was traded. Geoff Petrie could teach a class on how to do it properly. There was a reason he spoke in whatever code he did speak in when it came to these sorts of things. :lol:

It was never stated that they were trying to move Ben. That was something fans created as we do as the trade deadline approached.

A coach can compliment a a player and the team still come to a decision that they are welling to move on from him if it is best for the team. If fans are upset about that they are too in their feeling and don't get that this is a business even though it should be VERY evident. That's on the fan not the team.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#644 » by enderwilson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:06 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:

I see it as shrewd language, if intentional. Coming across as welcoming and optimistic about the people that play for us is good to show the world. Besides, it's not as if making a statement about wanting Ben back and promising never to trade Cuz, but then doing it, are close to equivocal. All this does is give the impression that we're one big happy family now, and that Ben is welcome. It doesn't make any commitments and Ben's QO will be low based on his performance under a rookie contract. Because of this, he can see if another team holds more value for him and make the choice to stay or go. If he stay's it won't break our bank or be a noose of a contract like JT's was. If he goes, it's his choice. Something that DMC wasn't given.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#645 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:58 am

enderwilson wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

I see it as shrewd language, if intentional. Coming across as welcoming and optimistic about the people that play for us is good to show the world. Besides, it's not as if making a statement about wanting Ben back and promising never to trade Cuz, but then doing it, are close to equivocal. All this does is give the impression that we're one big happy family now, and that Ben is welcome. It doesn't make any commitments and Ben's QO will be low based on his performance under a rookie contract. Because of this, he can see if another team holds more value for him and make the choice to stay or go. If he stay's it won't break our bank or be a noose of a contract like JT's was. If he goes, it's his choice. Something that DMC wasn't given.

That's assuming he isn't in the long term plans. If he is and they think they can bring along a team of 50 SG's then the delusion continues. I'm OK if it's attempting to hold onto some value, but I really hope they put everything they do from here on out into some realistic context when related to the roster.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#646 » by enderwilson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:16 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:That's assuming he isn't in the long term plans. If he is and they think they can bring along a team of 50 SG's then the delusion continues. I'm OK if it's attempting to hold onto some value, but I really hope they put everything they do from here on out into some realistic context when related to the roster.

Right, it's unclear what their *real* intentions are. The one saving grace is that this love language is coming from Joerger, and not Vlade or other FO types. Without any other evidence to the contrary, I think we can assume Joerger to be a straight shooter about his thoughts and feelings. Whether Vlade and Co. feel the same as him, but then go overboard and offer Ben the key's to the Kingdom will only register as another black mark against their decision making. So far I've been cautiously optimistic about the choices made by Vlade. I haven't been as negative as most people have as they all has a certain rationale that I could get behind. But giving Ben more than he's worth would swing my support for the FO in the negative direction.

My fingers are crossed that they don't. Only time will tell for sure in this instance.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#647 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:52 pm

enderwilson wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:That's assuming he isn't in the long term plans. If he is and they think they can bring along a team of 50 SG's then the delusion continues. I'm OK if it's attempting to hold onto some value, but I really hope they put everything they do from here on out into some realistic context when related to the roster.

Right, it's unclear what their *real* intentions are. The one saving grace is that this love language is coming from Joerger, and not Vlade or other FO types. Without any other evidence to the contrary, I think we can assume Joerger to be a straight shooter about his thoughts and feelings. Whether Vlade and Co. feel the same as him, but then go overboard and offer Ben the key's to the Kingdom will only register as another black mark against their decision making. So far I've been cautiously optimistic about the choices made by Vlade. I haven't been as negative as most people have as they all has a certain rationale that I could get behind. But giving Ben more than he's worth would swing my support for the FO in the negative direction.

My fingers are crossed that they don't. Only time will tell for sure in this instance.

That's true. I guess Vlade could be the one to take the heat and add another notch to his "bad cop" belt should he spurn his coaches desires and dump Ben in the end. Everyone thinks he's the devil already right? :lol:

Yeah, I'm encouraged so far as well and I'll give Vlade and his scouts some trust here.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#648 » by benchmobbin02 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:53 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
enderwilson wrote:

That's true. I guess Vlade could be the one to take the heat and add another notch to his "bad cop" belt should he spurn his coaches desires and dump Ben in the end. Everyone thinks he's the devil already right? :lol:

Yeah, I'm encouraged so far as well and I'll give Vlade and his scouts some trust here.

But the point is there should be no heat for not signing Ben. The coach was talking about the player in the context of his feeling, not the overall team situation. Joerger can like Ben, think he is a good player and teammate and the team as a whole can still see it as the best decision to not retain him. Don't get it twisted.

Not sure if you misunderstood or were sneakily trying to swing it to your narrative.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#649 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:28 pm

My realistic perfect world scenario is -

Bogdan coming over this year.

Drafting a SF Issac at 8. I worry it will take him 4 years to develop a solid NBA body and game but that potential his potential is too high to pass in our range.

Drafting a PG at 10. Frank Ntilikina is my choice but Smith is nice too.

In the second rd we take PF Johnathan Motley from Baylor.

Rudy opts out, Gallo opts in.

We keep Tolliver and Malachi and dump AA.
We sign Lawson to a 1 yr deal with a player option for another yr.

We sign RFA SF Ingles from UTH, Bojan Bogdanovic from WASH or Shabazz Muhammad from MINN to a nice 2 year offer sheet their team doesn't match.

We trade Kosta at the deadline to a playoff team for a low 1st rd pick in 2018.

2017 depth chart
C - WCS, KK(deadline trade), Papa
PF - Skal, Motley, Toliver
SF - RFA, Issac
SG - Hield, Bogdan, Malachi, Temple
PG - Lawson, Ntilikina, Galloway

After 2 years of development and growing together we have a depth chart like this -

C - WCS, Papa
PF - Skal, Motley
SF - Issac, 2018 draft pick
SG - Bogdanovic, Hield(becomes our 6th man, combo scoring guard)
PG - Ntilikina, 2018 draft pick

Sprinkle in 3 vets for depth and we are set.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
PetrieUnderstudy
Rookie
And1: 71

Post#650 » by PetrieUnderstudy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:My realistic perfect world scenario is -

Drafting a SF Issac at 8. I worry it will take him 4 years to develop a solid NBA body and game but that potential his potential is too high to pass in our range.

We sign RFA SF Ingles from UTH, Bojan Bogdanovic from WASH or Shabazz Muhammad from MINN to a nice 2 year offer sheet their team doesn't match.

2017 depth chart
SF - RFA, Issac

After 2 years of development and growing together we have a depth chart like this -

C - WCS, Papa
PF - Skal, Motley

I like your plan of taking Isaac 8th and Smith or Ntilikina 10th. It addresses 2 biggest needs of PG and SF of future. Also Motley is a good 2nd round choice as Kings need a rebounder.

I also agree I'd sign Lawson over Collison because he's a better facilitator and likely more receptive to role he may play. As I've been posting in Bogdanovic thread the Kings should also look at Milos Teodosic as veteran PG option.

Your idea is a very realistic scenario and I'd be happy with it if it unfolded that way.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#651 » by SacKingZZZ » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:03 pm

2017 depth chart
SF - RFA, Issac

C - WCS, Papa
PF - Skal, Motley

Isaac and Ntilikina would be a sweet draft. I'm starting to think Gay might opt in and if he does that could give Isaac a perfect role model to look up to while they ease him into the position. I see a lot of potential similarities in their game.

Hield and Bogdan will be something that has to be figured out. If it came down to a 6th man role I think that would be Bogdanovic in that Manu type of role because unless Hield develops more of an all around play making game Bogdanovic figures in at more positions off the bench. I think Hield could be this teams "Peja" type.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#652 » by sacking123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:23 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:

2017 depth chart
SF - RFA, Issac

C - WCS, Papa
PF - Skal, Motley

Isaac and Ntilikina would be a sweet draft. I'm starting to think Gay might opt in and if he does that could give Isaac a perfect role model to look up to while they ease him into the position. I see a lot of potential similarities in their game.

Hield and Bogdan will be something that has to be figured out. If it came down to a 6th man role I think that would be Bogdanovic in that Manu type of role because unless Hield develops more of an all around play making game Bogdanovic figures in at more positions off the bench. I think Hield could be this teams "Peja" type.

I understand Isaac would need someone to mentor him, however if Gay opts in we need to get rid of him ASAP. It doesn't matter how. He is the exact opposite of what the coaching staff is trying to do with the roster (ball movement, unselfish play etc) and Gay has not once in his career shown a willingness to be a player like that. It makes it extremely hard to sell this style of play to the group if one guy doesn't buy in. IMO Gay could show it in a few games here and there, but overall he won't change his stripes and IMO he shouldn't play another game in a Kings uniform. It is a new era and his style simply doesn't fit and there shouldn't be any compromise with that.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#653 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:47 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

2017 depth chart
SF - RFA, Issac

C - WCS, Papa
PF - Skal, Motley

I understand Isaac would need someone to mentor him, however if Gay opts in we need to get rid of him ASAP. It doesn't matter how. He is the exact opposite of what the coaching staff is trying to do with the roster (ball movement, unselfish play etc) and Gay has not once in his career shown a willingness to be a player like that. It makes it extremely hard to sell this style of play to the group if one guy doesn't buy in. IMO Gay could show it in a few games here and there, but overall he won't change his stripes and IMO he shouldn't play another game in a Kings uniform. It is a new era and his style simply doesn't fit and there shouldn't be any compromise with that.

My feeling exactly. I also don't think Gay will take to being a mentor to a young player that was brought in to take his spot. I think he'll be worried about auditioning for teams and getting his. Yup, trade city!
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#654 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:16 am

simonbampfield wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

2017 depth chart
SF - RFA, Issac

C - WCS, Papa
PF - Skal, Motley

Well, just as with McLemore there might be some pumping up by Vlade and Joerger not to diminish a potential asset but just by looking at the surface of the words used I would think both Vlade and Joerger disagree.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2017/4/14/15302056/sacramento-kings-want-rudy-gay-player-option-deadline-ben-mclemore

Bringing back McLemore doesn't make sense for basketball reasons, Rudy however might be the only legit SF the Kings have next year. I think seeing how Rudy might work wouldn't be the worst thing. If he doesn't meet the criteria needs wise or gets in the way of your young guys then you cut ties ASAP. If Rudy opts in I think giving it a chance makes some sense, if he doesn't? See ya!
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#655 » by sacking123 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:42 am

This is purely Vlade and Joerger not hurting any relationships as you stated in the first part.
I get the feeling Joerger will be demanding of veteran presence on this team, I'm just hoping it's not Rudy. It's not that I don't like him, he just doesn't fit. Like at all.
Ben on the other hand. 5.3 mill qualifying offer? Why not I say. Yes there will be a glut of SGs. Hield, Bogdanovic, Richardson, Ben and Temple is too much until we start to talk about positionless basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#656 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:30 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:

Well, just as with McLemore there might be some pumping up by Vlade and Joerger not to diminish a potential asset but just by looking at the surface of the words used I would think both Vlade and Joerger disagree.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2017/4/14/15302056/sacramento-kings-want-rudy-gay-player-option-deadline-ben-mclemore

Bringing back McLemore doesn't make sense for basketball reasons, Rudy however might be the only legit SF the Kings have next year. I think seeing how Rudy might work wouldn't be the worst thing. If he doesn't meet the criteria needs wise or gets in the way of your young guys then you cut ties ASAP. If Rudy opts in I think giving it a chance makes some sense, if he doesn't? See ya!

In this scenario, I dump Rudy. I don't even want to try it. People keep forgetting all the chances he has had to reinvent himself and non work out. Just gotta let him be himself. We can find a taker if he opts in but I think he ends up opting out. I also think someone offers Ben a small offer sheet and we take the opp to let him go.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#657 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Frank Jackson testing the waters is a bit of a surprise. I think he was way underutilized at Duke and IMO is someone I would easily consider at 8 or 10. I think he's got some major sleeper potential.
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#658 » by Jkam31 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:43 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:Frank Jackson testing the waters is a bit of a surprise. I think he was way underutilized at Duke and IMO is someone I would easily consider at 8 or 10. I think he's got some major sleeper potential.

I hope you don't mean 8 or 10 in the 1st round

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#659 » by City of Trees » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:09 am

Would anyone like the Kings to trade for CJ McCollum?

Ages:
McCollum (25)
Hield (23)
Bogdonavic (25) / Richardson (21)
Skal (20)
WCS (23)/Papa (20)

That's a great young core.

Probably costs at least both 8+10 and taking back a bad contract, say Meyers Leonard (3yrs, $9+ mill per season) and/or Evan Turner (3yrs, roughly $17 mil per)

Still wonder if the Blazers would go this direction, but man that would be awesome for Sac.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#660 » by Jkam31 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:02 pm

City of Trees wrote:Would anyone like the Kings to trade for CJ McCollum?

Ages:
McCollum (25)
Hield (23)
Bogdonavic (25) / Richardson (21)
Skal (20)
WCS (23)/Papa (20)

That's a great young core.

Probably costs at least both 8+10 and taking back a bad contract, say Meyers Leonard (3yrs, $9+ mill per season) and/or Evan Turner (3yrs, roughly $17 mil per)

Still wonder if the Blazers would go this direction, but man that would be awesome for Sac.

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app

McCullum isn't s pg but that's another discussion, why in the world would they trade him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Return to Sacramento Kings