Packers 2017 NFL Draft Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,492

Re: Packers 2017 NFL Draft Thread 

Post#621 » by Profound23 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:51 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
As for why the test came back dilute, Foster explained in detail. He said he was sick before the Combine. He was throwing up, had diarrhea, couldn't keep anything down and was cramping. One adviser offered to have a doctor put him on IVs to hydrate, but he didn't want that. He saw a doctor, got some medication and started hydrating himself.

Foster believes it was food poisoning.

"I couldn't eat much, but I had to drink water and Gatorade," said Foster, who began the process as the consensus top linebacker based on his game tape and measurables. "Then a few coaches said something about me being too light. And I'm a coach-pleaser. I don't care what everybody thinks, but I care what coaches think. So I drank and ate as much as I could without throwing up. Then I went in there, drinking and drinking water, trying to flush out my system from whatever was making me sick and trying to keep my weight up and took the test."

The result was the diluted test.

Foster's test being treated as failed. Starting to entertain the thought of him in the Packers range, which would be a damn miracle.

Man, I would love it. However, if you look at what Ted says he already is going to have his guy in mind and won't waver.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#622 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:15 pm

What do you guys think of Ahkello Witherspoon? Great size/speed combo, led the nation in pass break ups and cbs has him rated as the 13 cornerback...seems like a hell of a prospect to me.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#623 » by bizarro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:18 pm

M-C-G wrote:What do you guys think of Ahkello Witherspoon? Great size/speed combo, led the nation in pass break ups and cbs has him rated as the 13 cornerback...seems like a hell of a prospect to me.

He's definitely a good prospect. A Ju-Co transfer. 2 year starter. Had a fantastic season. Does have both size and speed as you mention. AND, remember he line up opposite Awuzie (who I absolutely LOVE) so received quite a few more opportunities. And, he certainly graded out well. The year prior he only had 3 pass breakups. He's a day 2 pick for sure. Probably at the tail end of round 2 or into round 3?

Pauline grades him as the 15th CB. Check out his rankings. Love his site:

http://draftanalyst.com/ranking?position=CB&year=

This is just an absolutely loaded CB class. I'm hoping we come away with 2 prospects in the first 4 rounds.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#624 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:34 pm

bizarro wrote:
M-C-G wrote:What do you guys think of Ahkello Witherspoon? Great size/speed combo, led the nation in pass break ups and cbs has him rated as the 13 cornerback...seems like a hell of a prospect to me.

He's definitely a good prospect. A Ju-Co transfer. 2 year starter. Had a fantastic season. Does have both size and speed as you mention. AND, remember he line up opposite Awuzie (who I absolutely LOVE) so received quite a few more opportunities. And, he certainly graded out well. The year prior he only had 3 pass breakups. He's a day 2 pick for sure. Probably at the tail end of round 2 or into round 3?

Pauline grades him as the 15th CB. Check out his rankings. Love his site:

This is just an absolutely loaded CB class. I'm hoping we come away with 2 prospects in the first 4 rounds.

I think if we came out of this draft with an edge, Kevin King and Witherspoon it would be an absolutely amazing draft...Brian Allen is another guy I wanted to look into as another big corner that runs in the 4.4s

This site is great by the way, thanks for the link
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,961

Post#625 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#626 » by Mags FTW » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:23 pm

Mixon and his victim met one-on-one. She accepted his apology, and wished him the best of luck.

There shouldn't be any moral dilemma in drafting him. If his victim forgives him, it's done.
bizarro
RealGM

Post#627 » by bizarro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:21 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Mixon and his victim met one-on-one. She accepted his apology, and wished him the best of luck.

There shouldn't be any moral dilemma in drafting him. If his victim forgives him, it's done.

I agree. And, man, from a footbal vantage point would he look good in Green and Gold. He just has that 'It' factor and he is built like a thoroughbred.
bizarro
RealGM

Post#628 » by bizarro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:32 pm

Another great pre-draft piece from Pauline today:

The long and the short, here's 28 players in two NFL teams top 32:

CB Gareon Conley
Ohio State

CB Kevin King
Washington

CB Marshon Lattimore
Ohio State

CB Tre'Davious White
LSU

DE Jonathan Allen
Alabama

DE Derek Barnett
Tennessee

DE Taco Charlton
Michigan

DE Myles Garrett
Texas A&M

DE Charles Harris
Missouri

DE Solomon Thomas
Stanford

G Forrest Lamp
Western Kentucky

ILB Jarrad Davis
Florida

OLB Takkarist McKinley
UCLA

OLB Haason Reddick
Temple

QB Mitch Trubisky
North Carolina

RB Dalvin Cook
Florida State

RB Leonard Fournette
LSU

RB Christian McCaffrey
Stanford

S Jamal Adams
LSU

S Malik Hooker
Ohio State

T Garett Bolles
Utah

T Ryan Ramczyk
Wisconsin

T Cam Robinson
Alabama

TE O.J. Howard
Alabama

TE David Njoku
Miami-Fl

WR Corey Davis
Western Michigan

WR John Ross
Washington

WR Mike Williams
Clemson

And, additionally, each team had four different players rounding out the final four from this group of 8:

CB Chidobe Awuzie
Colorado

CB Adoree' Jackson
USC

DE Tarell Basham
Ohio

ILB Zach Cunningham
Vanderbilt

OLB Tim Williams
Alabama

QB Patrick Mahomes
Texas Tech

S Budda Baker
Washington

S Jabrill Peppers
Michigan

In our range, I currently view Tim Williams, McKinley, Awuzie, and White as our most realistic options.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#629 » by Profound23 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:57 am

Why are Corey Davis, Ross, and Foster falling all of a sudden?

I swear if I see John Ross, Davis, and Reuben Foster fall to us only to see us take someone like Chris Wormley or DeMarcus Walker (two guys who may be good but will be there in the 2nd/3rd) I am going to lose it.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#630 » by Profound23 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:26 am

About Mixon....Im looking at this now from a business standpoint. Maximizing your picks. With so many teams taking him off their board, pushing down their board, and scared away...do not waste your 1st round pick on him. Trade down, trade up in the 2nd....or take him when he falls to you in the 2nd like I think he will.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,961

Post#631 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:34 pm

I think this sold me on Malik McDowell.

I will say that McDowell did have a few loafs, but not so many that I am worried about his effort.

Certainly not nearly as many as Solomon Thomas. And truth be told, I'm not sure if I was on the clock and Thomas and McDowell were still available that I wouldn't pick McDowell. I understand that McDowell's combine numbers don't blow you away the way Thomas’ did, but his tape does it for me.

My NFL doppleganger for McDowell is David Irving's flashes, but consistently. Yeah, yeah, I know Dallas uses Irving some in the A gap, too. I wish I had the :eyeroll: emoji right now.

Anyway, Malik McDowell is going to kick some ass in the NFL and you can beleee dat! Some may laugh at my comment about picking McDowell over Thomas today, but don't be surprised if three years from now McDowell is the more productive player. Regardless of when he is drafted, you can expect McDowell to be ready to play from day one and to keep getting better the more he plays.

McDowell's best days are ahead of him and, barring injury, I see him being a Pro Bowl type player by his third year, if not sooner, and a double digit sack guy maybe in his second year if he goes somewhere with a good to great 3-4 defensive coordinator. If you don't know the name by now and your team has a pick in the first round, I would suggest you get very familiar.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#632 » by Profound23 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:38 pm

I actually agree with him about Thomas and McDowell being similar. Both have had a couple of great games and the rest of the season looked like garbage.

I disagree that they are players we HAVE to draft. I think Thomas is going in the top 3 is a huge mistake. No way I take him over Jonathan Allen. Hope Solomon or Tribusky go to the Bears.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#633 » by Profound23 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:00 am

Watching some of the drafts they are showing on NFL network. Never noticed how much Mayock says, "This guy's best football is ahead or him." He says it every time a team reaches on a player.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#634 » by Profound23 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:31 am

Your score is: 14689 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 29: John Ross, WR, Washington (A+)
Round 1 Pick 30 (PITT): Mike Williams, WR, Clemson (A-)
Round 2 Pick 29: Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida (A+)
Round 3 Pick 5 (LAR): Tim Williams, OLB/DE, Alabama (A+)
Round 3 Pick 9 (CINN): Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado (A+)
Round 3 Pick 34 (CAR): David Sharpe, OT, Florida (A)
Round 4 Pick 5 (LAR): Shaquill Griffin, CB, UCF (A)
Round 4 Pick 27: Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson (A)
Round 4 Pick 34 (LAR): D'Onta Foreman, RB, Texas (A)
Round 5 Pick 28: Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson (A)
Round 6 Pick 28: Marquez White, CB, Florida State (A)
Round 7 Pick 29: Josh Carraway, DE, TCU (A)

Your Future Picks:
2019 Round 1 Pick

I would definitely trade next year's first for this draft.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#635 » by Mags FTW » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Profound23 wrote:Watching some of the drafts they are showing on NFL network. Never noticed how much Mayock says, "This guy's best football is ahead or him." He says it every time a team reaches on a player.

He's buddies with Zimmer, and the reason they drafted Boehringer.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#636 » by Profound23 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:28 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
Profound23 wrote:Watching some of the drafts they are showing on NFL network. Never noticed how much Mayock says, "This guy's best football is ahead or him." He says it every time a team reaches on a player.

Was he the guy who started that hype machine? That was crazy.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#637 » by Mags FTW » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Profound23 wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:

Was he the guy who started that hype machine? That was crazy.

Zimmer called Mayock right before the pick to get a final assurance:

http://vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Zimmer-Calls-Mayock-Before-Boehringer-Pick/c7d8a889-ea70-463f-9898-3291f1355514
Profound23
RealGM

Post#638 » by Profound23 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Every year I ask for four things and of course this year is no different:

1.) Find a team willing to give up their high 2nd round pick and 2018 1st for our 1st

or

2.) Get that stud that falls out of the top 10 and this year it's looking like that could be Reuben Foster or John Ross

or

3.) An all Alabama draft
I.) Reuben Foster or Marlon Humphrey
II.)Tim Williams
III.) Eddie Jackson
IV.) Dalvin Tomlinson
V.) Ryan Anderson

and if none of things are possible, PLEASE.....PLEASE.....PLEASE.....

4.) Don't draft someone who will more than likely be there in the second round (i.e. Jordan Willis or Dion Dawkins)

If the Packers can just do one of these things I will be happy, more than one and I will be ecstatic.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Post#639 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:19 pm

Holy hell, the draft is this coming week? I haven't been paying attention at all to the prospects this year.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#640 » by Profound23 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:46 pm

Read on Twitter

If true and I am Cleveland give me Myles Garrett at 1, OJ Howard (or Mike Williams) at 12, Reuben Foster At pick 33, Mixon at 52, and Dobbs as my QB later in the draft.

If nothing else you stacked your team full of blue chippers and get your QB in the quarterback heavy draft next year.

Return to Green Bay Packers