Will Tony Parker be the Spurs' starting point guard in 17-18?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

Will Tony Parker be the Spurs' starting point guard in 17-18? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Thu May 4, 2017 4:39 pm

1. Yes
2. No
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Re: Will Tony Parker be the Spurs' starting point guard in 17-18? 

Post#2 » by Pennebaker » Fri May 5, 2017 5:58 am

Pffft. Since when has underestimating Tony Parker been the right thing to do?
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri May 5, 2017 3:57 pm

Pennebaker wrote:Pffft. Since when has underestimating Tony Parker been the right thing to do?

I don't think anyone is underestimating Parker. The reality is that he average 25 min per game this year. Those are reserve type minutes. So whether he starts or not, the Spurs need another starting quality PG. I like MIlls but I'm not sure he can get there.

Nobody has underestimated Manu in all the years he's come off the bench either.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#4 » by DarthDiggler69 » Sat May 6, 2017 2:15 am

Will be Derrick Rose
Pennebaker
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Pennebaker » Sat May 6, 2017 10:45 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:Pffft. Since when has underestimating Tony Parker been the right thing to do?

I don't think anyone is underestimating Parker. The reality is that he average 25 min per game this year. Those are reserve type minutes. So whether he starts or not, the Spurs need another starting quality PG. I like MIlls but I'm not sure he can get there.

But if you're estimating Parker more accurately you'd say, "What a silly question! Of course he's going to be the starting point guard next year. I'd bet my house on it."

Minutes per game has nothing to do with whether he's going to start next year. I mean, you said it yourself: "those are reserve type minutes." Yet he still started in every game he played this season.

"So whether he starts or not, the Spurs need another starting quality PG." That's a different question.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#6 » by dan-man » Sat May 6, 2017 2:21 pm

Parkers loving that final year on his contract about now. When you have as much mileage on your body as he does and start tearing ligaments or tendons, its GAME OVER in a very accelerated period of time. Just ask Kobe or many others.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun May 7, 2017 12:49 am

Pennebaker wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

But if you're estimating Parker more accurately you'd say, "What a silly question! Of course he's going to be the starting point guard next year. I'd bet my house on it."

Minutes per game has nothing to do with whether he's going to start next year. I mean, you said it yourself: "those are reserve type minutes." Yet he still started in every game he played this season.

"So whether he starts or not, the Spurs need another starting quality PG." That's a different question.

I hope you own a second home!

You missed my point:
a) Parker is a team-1st guy. He'll come off the bench if that's what he's asked to do.
b) A starting quality PG will not sign in San Antonio if it means coming off the bench.

Therefore, the only way Parker is starting next year is if the Spurs can not get a starting PG in free agency. I promise you they will try.
Pennebaker
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Pennebaker » Sun May 7, 2017 7:22 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:I don't think anyone is underestimating Parker. The reality is that he average 25 min per game this year. Those are reserve type minutes. So whether he starts or not, the Spurs need another starting quality PG. I like MIlls but I'm not sure he can get there.

You missed my point:
a) Parker is a team-1st guy. He'll come off the bench if that's what he's asked to do.
b) A starting quality PG will not sign in San Antonio if it means coming off the bench.

Therefore, the only way Parker is starting next year is if the Spurs can not get a starting PG in free agency. I promise you they will try.

About your point a) yes, he'll come off the bench if asked, but he's going to make sure he's never asked. That's Tony Parker.
About your point b) so be it. It's still Tony's spot. If a free agent can't handle it, then they can go elsewhere.

Pop is actually very sentimental. He cares about his guys. And he especially cares about his core guys, who he thinks of as more like his children. He's not going to pull the rug out from under TP due to injury. He's going to give Parker every chance to make a comeback and he'll be rooting for him the whole time.
MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#9 » by MJallday59 » Sun May 7, 2017 3:27 pm

Chris Paul will be the starting PG for S.A.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun May 7, 2017 4:21 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:

You missed my point:

About your point a) yes, he'll come off the bench if asked, but he's going to make sure he's never asked. That's Tony Parker.
About your point b) so be it. It's still Tony's spot. If a free agent can't handle it, then they can go elsewhere.

Pop is actually very sentimental. He cares about his guys. And he especially cares about his core guys, who he thinks of as more like his children. He's not going to pull the rug out from under TP due to injury. He's going to give Parker every chance to make a comeback and he'll be rooting for him the whole time.

He wouldn't be losing his spot due to injury. They needed to go after a PG regardless. Parker was 46th in the league in APG this season and had his his worst shooting % in over a decade.

I like TP but what are we talking about? Are you more attached to TP starting than the Spurs winning? Should the Spurs only go after PG's that are willing to come off the bench? I hear Raymond Felton is available.
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 930

Post#11 » by perempe20 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Pop won't bench him until he turns 40.

Return to Polls Discussion