ImageImage

2017 Prospect/Minor League/Draft Thread.

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: 2017 Prospect/Minor League/Draft Thread. 

Post#101 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 9, 2017 5:27 pm

Gianstoppable wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:Kirk was garbage because he is basically 30 and has never had MLB success (I know Thames was the same way), at least these guys havent had a shot yet. You never know who will actually play well when given the chance. We arent talking about having them be our starter but just a cheap bench bat.

I was the one banging the drum of the "Kirk is an undervalued 4th OF" because he came up in a tough park and had good splits against RHP and apparently was wrong about that.

All of that said, I'd imagine the reason that most of these guys aren't up is because they aren't that good and we are overloaded in the OF so they'd be on the bench. They'll all probably get a chance to close this season out, but for now, we have at least 3 OF that we want to play in Santana, Broxton, and Braun and you've also got to get Perez some ABs. Those guys may one day be 4th OF, but we might as well let them keep getting everyday ABs in the minors for now.

This is true, if Braun and/or any other OF is traded we might see them. I'd rather see Cordell at the 4th OF right now anyway. I think he will be a damn solid 4th OF.

Cordell had a .320 OBP last year in AA. Honestly, just throw out PCL stats when a guy plays in Colorado Springs. It's the same thing with Coors Field. Any AAAA scrub can hit .320 there. Look at the All Star games and career that DJ LeMahieu has carved out there and what Mark Reynolds is doing.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#102 » by ReasonablySober » Tue May 9, 2017 7:54 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
I was the one banging the drum of the "Kirk is an undervalued 4th OF" because he came up in a tough park and had good splits against RHP and apparently was wrong about that.

All of that said, I'd imagine the reason that most of these guys aren't up is because they aren't that good and we are overloaded in the OF so they'd be on the bench. They'll all probably get a chance to close this season out, but for now, we have at least 3 OF that we want to play in Santana, Broxton, and Braun and you've also got to get Perez some ABs. Those guys may one day be 4th OF, but we might as well let them keep getting everyday ABs in the minors for now.

This is true, if Braun and/or any other OF is traded we might see them. I'd rather see Cordell at the 4th OF right now anyway. I think he will be a damn solid 4th OF.

Cordell had a .320 OBP last year in AA. Honestly, just throw out PCL stats when a guy plays in Colorado Springs. It's the same thing with Coors Field. Any AAAA scrub can hit .320 there. Look at the All Star games and career that DJ LeMahieu has carved out there and what Mark Reynolds is doing.

Nice slugging percentage, though.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#103 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue May 9, 2017 8:09 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:

Nice slugging percentage, though.

Yeah, he'll possibly be a piece going forward but he's probably not better than Domingo Santana and we might as well let Santana and Broxton run their course before we move to the next wave.
Gianstoppable
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,618

Post#104 » by Gianstoppable » Tue May 9, 2017 11:19 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Gianstoppable wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I'm not looking at stats from this year and I ALWAYS take CS stat lines and read them carefully but you can't completely discredit a guy because where he's playing he's playing well this year it doesn't matter what is stats are he looks good
#FreeChuckDiesel
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#105 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:28 am

Supak owning mofos.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#106 » by wichmae » Wed May 10, 2017 2:18 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Supak owning mofos.

Jason Rogers keeps on giving. Just about everyone who matters in the CS lineup is raking (though to be expected) and quite a few guys are starting to bounce back. Dubon was up over .280 (until last nights 1-5)in AA for instance. Diaz finally out of his early season slump too.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#107 » by wichmae » Wed May 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,169

Post#108 » by Iheartfootball » Wed May 10, 2017 3:33 pm

Between that trade and the Gomez one it really reset the system.

Remember when the Gomez trade was originally with the Mets for Flores and Wheeler? And the Lucroy trade was for Indians prospects (Mejia and I'm not sure who else?).

Those trades falling through were blessings in disguise it appears.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#109 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 10, 2017 8:33 pm

Not Sickles. Good article, though.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#110 » by wichmae » Wed May 10, 2017 8:34 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

Not Sickles. Good article, though.

Sorry. Sickles tweeted it out. Figured it was his own.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#111 » by wichmae » Wed May 10, 2017 9:55 pm

Corbin Burnes is friggin legit
wichmae
RealGM

Post#112 » by wichmae » Wed May 10, 2017 11:28 pm

wichmae wrote:Corbin Burnes is friggin legit

This guy is really good. I suggest you watch his next start to those who have MiLBtv
wichmae
RealGM

Post#113 » by wichmae » Thu May 11, 2017 12:32 am

Corbin Burnes may be my favorite pitching prospect right now. I was a Cody Ponce guy but my god is Burnes **** nasty.
miamiflashfan
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#114 » by miamiflashfan » Thu May 11, 2017 2:38 am

If you wanna get depressed, check out Brinson/Cordell/Phillips home and away splits. I'm really close to jumping on the "ignore literally every statistic that comes out of Colorado Springs" bandwagon.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 11, 2017 1:45 pm

What's the current situation on getting out of Colorado? Is there any traction on that?
wichmae
RealGM

Post#116 » by wichmae » Thu May 11, 2017 6:33 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:What's the current situation on getting out of Colorado? Is there any traction on that?

We're there for this season and next
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#117 » by bizarro » Thu May 11, 2017 6:41 pm

miamiflashfan wrote:If you wanna get depressed, check out Brinson/Cordell/Phillips home and away splits. I'm really close to jumping on the "ignore literally every statistic that comes out of Colorado Springs" bandwagon.

Yeah, the hitters are doing what they should be doing. However, the pitching has been the surprise to me. The entire staff, more or less, has been fantastic given the same conditions.
wichmae
RealGM

Post#118 » by wichmae » Thu May 11, 2017 9:13 pm

Luis Ortiz returns for Biloxi tonight.
miamiflashfan
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#119 » by miamiflashfan » Thu May 11, 2017 11:38 pm

bizarro wrote:
miamiflashfan wrote:If you wanna get depressed, check out Brinson/Cordell/Phillips home and away splits. I'm really close to jumping on the "ignore literally every statistic that comes out of Colorado Springs" bandwagon.

Yeah, the hitters are doing what they should be doing. However, the pitching has been the surprise to me. The entire staff, more or less, has been fantastic given the same conditions.

You jinxed them.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#120 » by bizarro » Fri May 12, 2017 8:29 pm

miamiflashfan wrote:
bizarro wrote:

You jinxed them.

Yeah, I see that. But, really, that was a blow-up in the 7th inning by non-factor pitchers imho - Dillard, Cravy, and Goforth. More importantly, Wang had another scoreless outing. I hope to see him some time this summer in the bullpen. Cooper continued his tear and Brinson and De Jesus w/ multi-hit games. They had just been on the other end of that score so often lately it was bound to come back down.

In other news: look out Biloxi. Four game win streak. Atop the Southern Division. We now have two division leaders. T-Rats one game under .500 after last nights shutout. The real issue at present is the showing at our most stacked squad in Carolina. Let's hope they get on a run here.

Edit: and Dubon is really coming into his own in Biloxi. Leads the league in stolen bases and is hitting around .285 I believe. Couple that with above average fielding and we have a legit prospect brewing from the Thornburg deal in addition to Shaw's steady play. Really curious to see what the PTBNL becomes.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers