What was the most enjoyable season for you as a fan of your team?

Moderator: bwgood77

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,424

Re: What was the most enjoyable season for you as a fan of your team? 

Post#21 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 3, 2017 5:31 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Hawks: 2005 SB run.

The 2012 & 2013 seasons were as good as it gets. The 2012 playoff loss to Atlanta was a crusher. But, coming back & winning SB 48 was beyond exhilarating. Greatest moment as a fan. :D

So your most enjoyable is 2005 but 2012 and 2013 were as good as it gets? :-?

No, I just listed all 3. Obviously 2013 was the best. But, 2012 was a close 2nd. Watching Russ & the defense kind of have their coming out party that year was a blast. At that point, I knew this team would be special. Optimism was at an all-time high. 2005 was great due to our first SB. After so many years (90's) of mostly bad football & heartbreak.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#22 » by Latrell » Wed May 3, 2017 6:31 pm

Obviously the easy answer is the 2006 Super Bowl team. The playoffs that year were amazing as a Colts fan. Especially the 21 point comeback against the Patriots in the AFC Title game. But I'm not sure I enjoyed that season as a whole. We were the worst run D in the AFC and teams were routinely running all over us. Culminating with Fred Taylor and MJD combining for like 350 yards in one game.

Then we picked up Booger MacFarland and it all turned around.

I also enjoyed the first couple of Andrew Luck seasons. Everything looked on the up and up. It's too bad Ryan Grigson squandered a few years of his prime by surrounding him with garbage.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#23 » by bwgood77 » Wed May 3, 2017 6:33 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Hawks: 2005 SB run.

The 2012 & 2013 seasons were as good as it gets. The 2012 playoff loss to Atlanta was a crusher. But, coming back & winning SB 48 was beyond exhilarating. Greatest moment as a fan. :D

No, I just listed all 3. Obviously 2013 was the best. But, 2012 was a close 2nd. Watching Russ & the defense kind of have their coming out party that year was a blast. At that point, I knew this team would be special. Optimism was at an all-time high. 2005 was great due to our first SB. After so many years (90's) of mostly bad football & heartbreak.

Was 2005 the year Romo fumbled the snap on the hold for a winning fg or whatever against the Seahawks? And was that in an early round playoff game or like a game to get into the playoffs?
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#24 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed May 3, 2017 6:50 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Was 2005 the year Romo fumbled the snap on the hold for a winning fg or whatever against the Seahawks? And was that in an early round playoff game or like a game to get into the playoffs?

You know... that wasn't necessary.

I'm gonna go kick the dog now.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#25 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 3, 2017 8:09 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

No, that was the following season (2006). That team was flawed. 2005 they finished 13-3 & had home field throughout the playoffs. SB XL was a **** travesty. We were better than Pittsburgh. The officials gave us the finger & awarded them their 5th SB. It took me a long time to get over that one. :banghead:
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#26 » by shawn_hemp » Wed May 3, 2017 8:24 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:No, I just listed all 3. Obviously 2013 was the best. But, 2012 was a close 2nd. Watching Russ & the defense kind of have their coming out party that year was a blast. At that point, I knew this team would be special. Optimism was at an all-time high. 2005 was great due to our first SB. After so many years (90's) of mostly bad football & heartbreak.

No, that was the following season (2006). That team was flawed. 2005 they finished 13-3 & had home field throughout the playoffs. SB XL was a **** travesty. We were better than Pittsburgh. The officials gave us the finger & awarded them their 5th SB. It took me a long time to get over that one. :banghead:

I feel like Shaun Alexander started the whole trend of RBs falling off hard from an All-Pro level to like out of the league shortly after.

I'm sure it happened to guys before him, but that is the first guy I remember it happening to for some reason
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#27 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 3, 2017 9:00 pm

shawn_hemp wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I feel like Shaun Alexander started the whole trend of RBs falling off hard from an All-Pro level to like out of the league shortly after.

I'm sure it happened to guys before him, but that is the first guy I remember it happening to for some reason

The team went from having a great offensive line to pedestrian thanks to the Steve Hutchinson poison pill debacle. The GM at the time was an idiot. He let the best Left Guard in football just walk away. Meanwhile, our Pro-Bowl Center decided to retire. Shaun had nowhere to run.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed May 3, 2017 9:46 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
shawn_hemp wrote:I feel like Shaun Alexander started the whole trend of RBs falling off hard from an All-Pro level to like out of the league shortly after.

The team went from having a great offensive line to pedestrian thanks to the Steve Hutchinson poison pill debacle. The GM at the time was an idiot. He let the best Left Guard in football just walk away. Meanwhile, our Pro-Bowl Center decided to retire. Shaun had nowhere to run.

If Jerry has learned any lessons at all - it's that allowing a "Poison Pill" contract to happen with our three Pro Bowlers ain't happenin'
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#29 » by Cactus Jack » Wed May 3, 2017 11:07 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
shawn_hemp wrote:I feel like Shaun Alexander started the whole trend of RBs falling off hard from an All-Pro level to like out of the league shortly after.

If Jerry has learned any lessons at all - it's that allowing a "Poison Pill" contract to happen with our three Pro Bowlers ain't happenin'

Yeah, unfortunately that one decision killed our chances at that time. We went from having arguably the best line in football with 2 All-Pro's & 3 Pro-Bowlers, to just one great LT & a bunch of scrubs/backups essentially in one off-season. It was brutal. Shaun got hurt & was never the same. Matt Hasselbeck suddenly didn't have any protection & suffered a bunch of injuries. It pays to have a good line. :wink:
shawn_hemp
Starter

Post#30 » by shawn_hemp » Wed May 3, 2017 11:32 pm

the 2004 Eagles had one of the most forgotten about defenses of all time.

in many ways, our team mirrored the 2015 Panthers

except our secondary was by far the most stacked unit on the team whereas they had the edge in linebackers

the DLines were about equal

both Olines were suspect

terrible receivers and the only good ones (TO for Eagles, Benjamin for Panthers) had injuries that derailed their seasons. TO tried to play in the Super Bowl and still had a 100 yd game but you could tell he was hurt

Westbrook was a far better receiver out of the backfield than Johnathan Stewart, and probably a better rusher tbh. The thing about Brian Westbrook is that he almost never got tackled from the first guy who came at him. Ultimate turn nothing-into-something back.

That's what people dont get about Donovan McNabb, he wasnt a great QB when you really broke down the tape. Sure, his stats are great, and he's considered by many to be the best QB in franchise history because of the team's success, but he is not better than Tony Romo.

I have no stats on this, but I can assure you that Brian Westbrook is more responsible for a lot of McNabb's yards than youd think. A lot of the Eagles offense involved McNabb throwing screen passes to Westbrook, who proceeded to juke around 3-4 guys before getting about 7-10 yards he had no business getting.

It wasn't a bunch of pinpoint passes from McNabb to drive the team down the field, a lot of his throws wound up at the receiver's ankles tbh. Terrell Owens also killed it in YAC.

Idk, I dont hate McNabb, but I think the national perspective of not understanding why some Eagles fans dont really care for him is kind of frustrating. He really wasnt that special of a QB.

And I feel like Im objective about things (just gave Romo props fwiw), and I really tried to like McNabb, but he was just unlikable.

Cam Newton is a far better athlete but he is on a similar trajectory to McNabb atm IMO
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#31 » by Cactus Jack » Thu May 4, 2017 1:13 am

shawn_hemp wrote:the 2004 Eagles had one of the most forgotten about defenses of all time.

except our secondary was by far the most stacked unit on the team whereas they had the edge in linebackers

both Olines were suspect

terrible receivers and the only good ones (TO for Eagles, Benjamin for Panthers) had injuries that derailed their seasons. TO tried to play in the Super Bowl and still had a 100 yd game but you could tell he was hurt

Westbrook was a far better receiver out of the backfield than Johnathan Stewart, and probably a better rusher tbh. The thing about Brian Westbrook is that he almost never got tackled from the first guy who came at him. Ultimate turn nothing-into-something back.

That's what people dont get about Donovan McNabb, he wasnt a great QB when you really broke down the tape. Sure, his stats are great, and he's considered by many to be the best QB in franchise history because of the team's success, but he is not better than Tony Romo.

I have no stats on this, but I can assure you that Brian Westbrook is more responsible for a lot of McNabb's yards than youd think. A lot of the Eagles offense involved McNabb throwing screen passes to Westbrook, who proceeded to juke around 3-4 guys before getting about 7-10 yards he had no business getting.

It wasn't a bunch of pinpoint passes from McNabb to drive the team down the field, a lot of his throws wound up at the receiver's ankles tbh. Terrell Owens also killed it in YAC.

Idk, I dont hate McNabb, but I think the national perspective of not understanding why some Eagles fans dont really care for him is kind of frustrating. He really wasnt that special of a QB.

And I feel like Im objective about things (just gave Romo props fwiw), and I really tried to like McNabb, but he was just unlikable.

Cam Newton is a far better athlete but he is on a similar trajectory to McNabb atm IMO

That Eagles team should have won atleast one SB. I always thought of McNabb as somewhat of a choker in big games. How many NFC championship games did he end up losing? His effort against New England in the SB was inexcusable in my eyes & sealed his fate as a QB imo. Dude didn't seem to really care all that much. That would drive me crazy as a fan.
shawn_hemp
Starter

Post#32 » by shawn_hemp » Fri May 5, 2017 2:11 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
shawn_hemp wrote:the 2004 Eagles had one of the most forgotten about defenses of all time.

both Olines were suspect

That Eagles team should have won atleast one SB. I always thought of McNabb as somewhat of a choker in big games. How many NFC championship games did he end up losing? His effort against New England in the SB was inexcusable in my eyes & sealed his fate as a QB imo. Dude didn't seem to really care all that much. That would drive me crazy as a fan.

thats why a lot of Eagles fans took TO's side when the team split between him and McNabb

TO wanted to get paid more money since he was clearly the best receiver in the league but on a back-loaded contract (this is the NFL too, non-guaranteed), and wanted McNabb to publicly support him using his clout as the franchise QB (which he had done for other players in the past)

I think McNabb got kind of jealous at how Philly fans were in love with TO. McNabb was never a Philly guy. He took the draft day boos to heart and thought people genuinely didnt want him, when we were really just upset that the team passed on Ricky Williams.

TO played in the Super Bowl on a bum leg (fractured tibia and badly sprained ankle), while McNabb always came up small in big games (and according to several players who were on the team, was throwing up on the sidelines during the game)

I think McNabb was jealous of TO, and used his reputation as a team-ruiner against him in order to solidify himself as the team's unquestioned leader.

He made several comments about how the team "didnt need any one player" and eventually TO just reverted to his old ways and started doing sit ups in his driveway.

They go from 13-3 to 6-10 the next year because most of their starters either got removed from the team (TO), or were injured for at some point of the season.

honestly, the year after that (2006) was a great season. The Eagles were 5-5 at the end of Week 11 when McNabb gets hurt. So we plug Jeff Garcia into the starting spot and he goes 5-1 for the rest of the year for us to finish 10-6 and make the playoffs. There was a game against Dallas on Christmas Day that the Eagles won and Jeff Garcia was seen as a folk hero around here.

More importantly, Brian Westbrook had arguably the best season of his career, and the defense was still a juggernaut.

Maybe McNabb was right, we didnt really need any one player, INCLUDING HIM

Then, after beating a mediocre Giants team in the Wild Card round, we play the saints in the Divisional Round and Andy Reid cements his status as possibly having the worst clock management skills of all time. He chose to punt the ball from midfield back to the Saints with just under 2 minutes left when we were down by 3 and the Saints just had to get 1 first down and the game was over.

still remember the Reggie Bush hit in the Saints game though, possibly the loudest Ive ever heard a group of people get watching this game.

this wasnt the actual game broadcast but the video quality is better in this video.

2007 was a disappointing 8-8 year since the defense fell back a bit due to players like Jevon Kearse declining and the team getting rid of Jeremiah Trotter at MLB.

the offense actually managed to get worse and literally became the Brian Westbrook experience. Our top WRs were Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown. I know.

2009 was really the last gasp for the Andy Reid era to get a SB. That playoff run came out of nowhere (was the infamous tie game year that bumped us ahead of the Cowboys for the playoffs) and we lost to Kurt Warner and the Cardinals in the NFC championship game. Larry Fitzgerald owned us that game, and our defensive coordinator Jim Johnson died of cancer in the offseason which put and end to the great defenses we were used to.

the next year we lose to Dallas in the wild card round and McNabb was finally traded to Washington in the offseason.

after typing all of this, I dont feel bad about disliking McNabb at all. All he ever did was make things awkward but hey, he could throw a hell of a screen pass to Brian Westbrook.
shawn_hemp
Starter

Post#33 » by shawn_hemp » Fri May 5, 2017 2:55 pm

Not to mention Westbrook had the 2nd greatest punt return against the Giants in team history

I watched this game when I was 11 years old and still get chills thinking about it. Defensive slugfest but was also a lot of poor offensive decisions as well. McNabb went 9-23 for 63 yards

The Eagles had no timeouts left, no real confidence in the offense to do anything, and then this happened

Sorry for the random Brian Westbrook appreciation outburst, but he was my favorite offensive player throughout the Eagles playoff-laden years.

He had unbelievable balance and used his smaller size to find the tiniest cracks to break through and guys couldn't bring him down because he was so grounded and had a low center of gravity.

He wasn't the fastest rb in the league, didn't have the video game jukes like LT did, but he always took the best angles on runs and always was at least getting north and south with the ball. Even when he made cuts he was still moving forward.

I'm not a big fan of guys like Le'Veon Bell who run 15 yards just to gain 7. Westbrook was always going forward

Honestly, he might be the most underrated running back of all time. Somewhat biased I guess, but he made those teams go. Terrell Owens just put them over the top that 1 year.

The Eagles should have been a dynasty in the 2000s but McNabb and Andy Reid are known chokers.

Oh well
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Post#34 » by bluejerseyjinx » Fri May 5, 2017 3:26 pm

LMAO !!!!
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#35 » by LAKESHOW » Fri May 5, 2017 4:07 pm

When we defeated the Washington Redskins. And then football left town.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri May 5, 2017 4:47 pm

shawn_hemp wrote:Not to mention Westbrook had the 2nd greatest punt return against the Giants in team history

I watched this game when I was 11 years old and still get chills thinking about it. Defensive slugfest but was also a lot of poor offensive decisions as well. McNabb went 9-23 for 63 yards

The Eagles had no timeouts left, no real confidence in the offense to do anything, and then this happened

Sorry for the random Brian Westbrook appreciation outburst, but he was my favorite offensive player throughout the Eagles playoff-laden years.

He had unbelievable balance and used his smaller size to find the tiniest cracks to break through and guys couldn't bring him down because he was so grounded and had a low center of gravity.

He wasn't the fastest rb in the league, didn't have the video game jukes like LT did, but he always took the best angles on runs and always was at least getting north and south with the ball. Even when he made cuts he was still moving forward.

I'm not a big fan of guys like Le'Veon Bell who run 15 yards just to gain 7. Westbrook was always going forward

Honestly, he might be the most underrated running back of all time. Somewhat biased I guess, but he made those teams go. Terrell Owens just put them over the top that 1 year.

The Eagles should have been a dynasty in the 2000s but McNabb and Andy Reid are known chokers.

Oh well

I know this - Westbrook was ALWAYS doing something that helped beat the Cowboys back then. And he was smart as hell. The game in Irving where he made the 1st down and then went to the ground before getting into the end zone in order to let the clock run down was as smart a move as I've ever seen a player execute.

Much respect from this Cowboys fan. Dude was terrific and not underrated by me.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Post#37 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun May 7, 2017 9:55 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:There are so many I'll have to think about it for a few days !!

It's been along time for you, hasn't it!? Hard to remember. :lol:

Believe me. I don't have a hard time remembering. See, us older Cowboy fans have a hard time to come up with a top ten list of America's greatest games/moments. :naaa:
TheOnlyQuayH
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#38 » by TheOnlyQuayH » Fri May 12, 2017 1:25 pm

2007 was fun for me watching my patriots but I actually enjoyed 2010 more even though we loss in the first round. People were even doubting if we could win our own division until smashed the Jets 45-3 on Monday night football. That season was also the best I have ever seen Brady play, he was so efficient that year which is why he won MVP. Guys like Danny Woodhead, Deion Branch, BenJarvus Green-Ellis stepped up that year. Gronk and Aaron Hernandez were rookies that year. It was fun watching these guys develop through that season, we went 14-2. If only we didn't have the worst defense that year, we could've went far. Obviously we've had more successful season than this season due to postseason results but I never had more fun watching the pats than that year
RavenMad31
Senior
And1: 252

Post#39 » by RavenMad31 » Sat May 13, 2017 2:18 am

TheOnlyQuayH wrote:2007 was fun for me watching my patriots but I actually enjoyed 2010 more even though we loss in the first round. People were even doubting if we could win our own division until smashed the Jets 45-3 on Monday night football. That season was also the best I have ever seen Brady play, he was so efficient that year which is why he won MVP. Guys like Danny Woodhead, Deion Branch, BenJarvus Green-Ellis stepped up that year. Gronk and Aaron Hernandez were rookies that year. It was fun watching these guys develop through that season, we went 14-2. If only we didn't have the worst defense that year, we could've went far. Obviously we've had more successful season than this season due to postseason results but I never had more fun watching the pats than that year

I hear you. They don't all have to be championship seasons. 2003 was a lot of fun as Jamal Lewis ran for 2000+ yards, Ray Lewis was in his prime, Ed Reed was an electrifying second year player, we were showing signs of recovering from the post-2001 salary cap dump and we didn't know Kyle Boller was going to suck yet.
TheOnlyQuayH
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#40 » by TheOnlyQuayH » Sun May 14, 2017 12:17 pm

RavenMad31 wrote:
TheOnlyQuayH wrote:2007 was fun for me watching my patriots but I actually enjoyed 2010 more even though we loss in the first round. People were even doubting if we could win our own division until smashed the Jets 45-3 on Monday night football. That season was also the best I have ever seen Brady play, he was so efficient that year which is why he won MVP. Guys like Danny Woodhead, Deion Branch, BenJarvus Green-Ellis stepped up that year. Gronk and Aaron Hernandez were rookies that year. It was fun watching these guys develop through that season, we went 14-2. If only we didn't have the worst defense that year, we could've went far. Obviously we've had more successful season than this season due to postseason results but I never had more fun watching the pats than that year

I hear you. They don't all have to be championship seasons. 2003 was a lot of fun as Jamal Lewis ran for 2000+ yards, Ray Lewis was in his prime, Ed Reed was an electrifying second year player, we were showing signs of recovering from the post-2001 salary cap dump and we didn't know Kyle Boller was going to suck yet.

I still don't know how you guys didn't make the conference finals that year

Return to The General NFL Board