ImageImageImage

What is Riles top priority this offseason and what would be yours?

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

contract
RealGM
And1: 20,734

Re: What is Riles top priority this offseason and what would be yours? 

Post#81 » by contract » Tue May 16, 2017 5:40 pm

puppa bear wrote:
contract wrote:
puppa bear wrote:No Pat wants to win now with a contender & go down swinging. His signal gave not been mixed, he wants Bosh off the books to sign a top quality FA, and will use the pick to either trade for a star or take a Heat-type player.
He's never gotten to the rebuild state, so we've never seen anything like wanting to trade for a high lotto pick.

Rewind 6 months and Pat was talking about rebuilding and acquiring an extra 1st round pick.

“You go back and you look at it, we’re in a reubild with young players that we’re familiar with and we have five or six guys that we really like,” Riley said.

http://heatzone.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/12/21/miami-heat-president-pat-riley-we-will-rebuild-quick/

And I was also talking about how awesome our awesome shiny top-5 pick would be, after our 11-30 start. Things change and plans become fluid. Trading for Melo & a top-5 pick at the same time is not fluidity, it's inconsistency. If you trade for Melo then you're going for HCA in the first round and contendership. So we should then be resigning Waiters/JJ if we can't get another high level FA & roll with the same group but Melo instead of Babbitt, at worst.

If you trade for a top-5 pick to target a PG, then you go after RFAs or younger vets, and explore trading for another pick to get multiple injections of youth. This route, without a FA signing will be a road to the top-7 pick next season, and possibly give us another legit prospect.

Trying to get Melo and a rookie PG will not work out, and is mixed signals to FAs and the fan-base.

How is it different from holding onto Winslow and Richardson?
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
contract
RealGM

Post#82 » by contract » Tue May 16, 2017 5:43 pm

puppa bear wrote:I would disagree. I think Riley is flip-flopping, not half-arsing. I think he was ready to go the full rebuild, then the streak happened and he sees potential, so no he's doing a retool by trying to add a star & vets.

We're about to find out how true that is.
Dupas
Analyst
And1: 1,860

Post#83 » by Dupas » Tue May 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Hayward plz

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#84 » by puppa bear » Tue May 16, 2017 11:06 pm

Beenie wrote:To those who think the idea of improving the current roster with vets and adding an influx of youth are mutually exclusive, I'd say the Spurs have continuously debunked that notion.

And to expand on my trade idea with the Knicks - the PG we'd draft coupled with Melo, imo, is definitively better than Dragic and Mcgruder (our end of year starters last season). I also prefer Melo shooting the last shot in a close game than anyone on our current roster - certainly more than Dragic who struggled often when manning that role. Waiters and Melo at the end of the game give the team 2 strong iso options and with potentially either Fox or Smith, the team would have a 3rd.

Outside of Gasol the Spurs have always added vets before their peak has ended. You could argue they even added Gasol right at the tail of his peak.

Here you are adding a player who is on the decline, and doesn't fit our style of play - be he could excel in it if he bought into the change. If it was PG instead of Melo then I'd buy it, but not with Melo in the 2017-18 season.

I don't think Fox is better than Dragic. He's younger, faster, and has the potential to be better, but he's not better right now. Smith would also be debatable as to whether he's better right now - he could actually be better this season, but the PG spot is notoriously hard to transition into & there are a really low number of PGs who make that jump in year 1, on a PO team (which is what we would be aiming to be).
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Post#85 » by puppa bear » Tue May 16, 2017 11:12 pm

contract wrote:
puppa bear wrote:
contract wrote:Rewind 6 months and Pat was talking about rebuilding and acquiring an extra 1st round pick.

And I was also talking about how awesome our awesome shiny top-5 pick would be, after our 11-30 start. Things change and plans become fluid. Trading for Melo & a top-5 pick at the same time is not fluidity, it's inconsistency. If you trade for Melo then you're going for HCA in the first round and contendership. So we should then be resigning Waiters/JJ if we can't get another high level FA & roll with the same group but Melo instead of Babbitt, at worst.

If you trade for a top-5 pick to target a PG, then you go after RFAs or younger vets, and explore trading for another pick to get multiple injections of youth. This route, without a FA signing will be a road to the top-7 pick next season, and possibly give us another legit prospect.

Trying to get Melo and a rookie PG will not work out, and is mixed signals to FAs and the fan-base.

How is it different from holding onto Winslow and Richardson?

Both of these came into a team in the hunt for HCA, and performed well as rookies in the middle of that PO run. They showed their rookieness at times, but showed they had what it takes to be part of a successful Heat team. Last season was a major set-back, but if they had been healthy we would have gotten a real look at what they can step up to with more responsibility.
A balanced retool will have some youth - I think he learnt that from the big-3 era, but if a PG or a Butler becomes available and they are the cost, I can see them gone. Heck I can see them as part of a Melo package if he goes that way - but not Dragic for a draft pick at the same time.

contract wrote:
puppa bear wrote:I would disagree. I think Riley is flip-flopping, not half-arsing. I think he was ready to go the full rebuild, then the streak happened and he sees potential, so no he's doing a retool by trying to add a star & vets.

We're about to find out how true that is.

Hopefully we strike some lotto gold and we get the chance to either draft a stud or have a really valuable trade chip.
Beenie
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,306

Post#86 » by Beenie » Wed May 17, 2017 12:37 am

puppa bear wrote:
Beenie wrote:To those who think the idea of improving the current roster with vets and adding an influx of youth are mutually exclusive, I'd say the Spurs have continuously debunked that notion.

And to expand on my trade idea with the Knicks - the PG we'd draft coupled with Melo, imo, is definitively better than Dragic and Mcgruder (our end of year starters last season). I also prefer Melo shooting the last shot in a close game than anyone on our current roster - certainly more than Dragic who struggled often when manning that role. Waiters and Melo at the end of the game give the team 2 strong iso options and with potentially either Fox or Smith, the team would have a 3rd.

Outside of Gasol the Spurs have always added vets before their peak has ended. You could argue they even added Gasol right at the tail of his peak.

Here you are adding a player who is on the decline, and doesn't fit our style of play - be he could excel in it if he bought into the change. If it was PG instead of Melo then I'd buy it, but not with Melo in the 2017-18 season.

I don't think Fox is better than Dragic. He's younger, faster, and has the potential to be better, but he's not better right now. Smith would also be debatable as to whether he's better right now - he could actually be better this season, but the PG spot is notoriously hard to transition into & there are a really low number of PGs who make that jump in year 1, on a PO team (which is what we would be aiming to be).

The Spurs make it a continuous practice of simultaneously bolstering their roster with both vets and young talent which is what my proposed trade does for Mia.

Granted, Melo is not stylistically an ideal fit. But what he does bring to the table is half court iso scoring which the team lacks in at times, particularly at the end of games. And again, he's an undisputed superior option to Mcgruder.

Furthermore, I'm high on all the top shelf PG's in this draft and appraise them all to have higher eventual ceilings than Dragic but i agree that chances are that Goran outplays them all next year.
SCHeat
Pro Prospect
And1: 676

Post#87 » by SCHeat » Wed May 17, 2017 1:33 pm

Resign Dion
Sign Gordon Heyward
Draft a SF/PF

I'd also try to trade TJ, either this offseason or midseason next year.
Wolfy1983
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,299

Post#88 » by Wolfy1983 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:19 pm

SCHeat wrote:Resign Dion
Sign Gordon Heyward
Draft a SF/PF

TJ is overpaid but the kid plays his ass off on both ends. That is all you can ask for and there's no guarantee that his replacement will do the same.
Sig By: MettaWorldPanda
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#89 » by HeatFanLifer » Thu May 18, 2017 3:10 pm

OP for NBA FT record
The Dawg
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#90 » by The Dawg » Thu May 18, 2017 4:58 pm

SCHeat wrote:Resign Dion
Sign Gordon Heyward
Draft a SF/PF

As much as I like Dion, Im concerned about what it will take to resign him.

I'd like to see the Heat pick up qualified SF and PF with some of that money instead.

Sidenote: I'd call Donovan Mitchell in for a workout:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Donovan-Mitchell-84680/
leoshes
Veteran
And1: 5,437

Post#91 » by leoshes » Thu May 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Never believe what come out of Pat Rileys mouth. What he says, & what he thinks are two differnt things. & i dont want anything to do with Melo for his price, & at his age.
El Alonzo scowl
Veteran
And1: 5,417

Post#92 » by El Alonzo scowl » Fri May 19, 2017 10:02 am

Only way I'd trade for Melo is a straight swap for Bosh. Not even the Knicks are that stupid...probably.
leoshes
Veteran

Post#93 » by leoshes » Sat May 20, 2017 12:43 am

Hypothetically speaking.

If Pat for whatever reason could manage to resign both Dion, & JJ $12 each, & we dont pick up Ellington, & we some how move McBob contract how much would we have left?
Wolfy1983
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,299

Post#94 » by Wolfy1983 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:30 am

Riley needs to point out to Dion that no one wanted him other than us, and if he wants to win, he better accept whatever offer they throw at him, all the while having enough cap space to re-sign JJ and Ellington and bringing other free agents to contend. This is obviously wishful thinking.
Sig By: MettaWorldPanda
contract
RealGM

Post#95 » by contract » Sat May 20, 2017 3:34 pm

leoshes wrote:Hypothetically speaking.

If Pat for whatever reason could manage to resign both Dion, & JJ $12 each, & we dont pick up Ellington, & we some how move McBob contract how much would we have left?

If we managed to ditch McNothing without taking anything back, ~ $23 million ... assuming we renounce our Bird Rights for Haslem and Babbit, and cut White.
contract
RealGM

Post#96 » by contract » Sat May 20, 2017 3:37 pm

Wolfy1983 wrote:Riley needs to point out to Dion that no one wanted him other than us, and if he wants to win, he better accept whatever offer they throw at him, all the while having enough cap space to re-sign JJ and Ellington and bringing other free agents to contend. This is obviously wishful thinking.

In the end, the offers they gets from other teams are going to matter more than any "loyalty" speech we throw at Waiters or JJ.
leoshes
Veteran

Post#97 » by leoshes » Sun May 21, 2017 8:27 pm

contract wrote:

If we managed to ditch McNothing without taking anything back, ~ $23 million ... assuming we renounce our Bird Rights for Haslem and Babbit, and cut White.

What is the max Hayward can get from another team thats not Utah?
contract
RealGM

Post#98 » by contract » Sun May 21, 2017 10:30 pm

leoshes wrote:
contract wrote:

4 years ... ~ $130 million according to Albert Nahmad aka @AlbertRandom1. First year salary of ~ $30,300,000.

Read on Twitter
leoshes
Veteran

Post#99 » by leoshes » Mon May 22, 2017 12:09 am

contract wrote:
leoshes wrote:
contract wrote:If we managed to ditch McNothing without taking anything back, ~ $23 million ... assuming we renounce our Bird Rights for Haslem and Babbit, and cut White.

4 years ... ~ $130 million according to Albert Nahmad aka @AlbertRandom1. First year salary of ~ $30,300,000.

Read on Twitter

Ok thats not going to happen lol.
contract
RealGM

Post#100 » by contract » Mon May 22, 2017 12:26 am

leoshes wrote:
contract wrote:
leoshes wrote:

Read on Twitter

Ok thats not going to happen lol.

Don't be so sure. Remember that Pat tried to sweet talk LaMaracus Aldridge.

Return to Miami Heat