Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Re: Otto Porter Part 2 

Post#1261 » by Meliorus » Fri May 19, 2017 2:04 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:
Meliorus wrote:
tontoz wrote:He has this bizarre habit of jumping weakly into defenders around the rim and throwing up a prayer. He needs to go around defenders. He doesn't have the size/strength/skill to go through them.

He also misses too many dunks, a strange problem to have.

Not bizzare, makes perfect sense considering how few years he played organized ball. Jumping into a defender for a prayer is a chronic problem with kids at younger levels. I feel like he never got it corrected.

Meliorus wrote:
tontoz wrote:He has this bizarre habit of jumping weakly into defenders around the rim and throwing up a prayer. He needs to go around defenders. He doesn't have the size/strength/skill to go through them.

He also misses too many dunks, a strange problem to have.

Not bizzare, makes perfect sense considering how few years he played organized ball. Jumping into a defender for a prayer is a chronic problem with kids at younger levels. I feel like he never got it corrected.

I try to educate you guys with the correct terminology to no avail. Him and porter both have poor center of gravity while dribbling with the ball. they don't have, their high center of gravity robs them of agility needed to read an opponents momentum.
They both would be outstanding picks if Ernie Grunfeld had a solid plan for greatly improving their center of gravity while dribbling but Grunfeld was clueless because neither player has improved since their rookie season.
AGain key work low center of gravity while dribbling the ball---they both are like monster trucks---one hard turn and they are off balance, wall and beal have low center of gravity which allows them to make tight ralley car turns and slip by defenders effortlessly instead of ramming into them like oubre, porter, morris, and gortat due.

It all is based on low center of gravity and only one person in organization had the power to force his assets to develop this ability. That is grunfeld. not brooks, maybe ted, but no one else in that organization had the power and grunfeld failed to bring --- to bring in world leading experts on how to significantly improve lower center of gravity while dribbling.
this is the new idea that i bless this board with. :-?

so crashing into defenders is 80% related to both oubre, and porter's high center of gravity---- paul george is great because he can lower his center of gravity to an elite level. Can porter and oubre be trained to lower their center of gravity like paul george. why can paul do it and oubre and porter can't. this is the true realgm question that we experts should be asking.

pay attention to how paul george drobs his hips everytime he does a dribble move. Oubre and Porter don't and can't drop their hips... can't drop center of gravity...either too lazy...not of enough quadricep power--squats--or athritic knees? either way... the end product has to be drop your hips--lower your center of gravity for an extended period of time while dribbling the basketball. If grunfeld has no plan for his assets, then he should be replaced. He made the right move in getting the rare and skilled 6'8 player, but he needed a finishing plan for lowering their center of gravity otherwise, its like planting a seed a, doing all the hard work and then pulling out the corn stock before the corn is fully developed.

just watch his hips before every complex dribble move and he is 6'9. same height has oubre and porter. go and watch oubre and porter hips, and you might one day take grunfeld's job.

This is the type of insight front offices should be stumbling across when they come on Real GM (yes they do come on here).
SpinninHouse
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Post#1262 » by SpinninHouse » Fri May 19, 2017 2:37 pm

payitforward wrote:
SpinninHouse wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:yea we'll match

reason is...we have nothing to gain from not maxing. We don't really get cap space worth anything back. We're still up against the cap. So it's basically letting him walk for nothing.

Even if Porter is complete trash for us after giving him the max there's at least a chance years down the road to trade his contract for value since he'll be getting closer to an expiring

Yeah I figured. He's 23 with a 18.0 PER and shot like 44% from behind the arc. The kid can play. Well, I'll go back to where I came from now. :D

Dude, you are welcome here any time. I see that you have put up over 1000 posts a year for 14+ years. You crazy!! Visit often, man!

Haha thanks man. I think my 14 years and 14,000 posts are probably more a reflection on me being a loser than anything! :D
FIRE THE JOHN "THE SNAKE" PAXSON, FOR GARMAN, AND FRED HOIBERGER.

#CHICAGOBULLS
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#1263 » by DaRealHibachi » Fri May 19, 2017 3:13 pm

All that talk about dropping hips makes me want to hit the clubs tonight, that's for sure..

:rockon:
:beer: Magnumt
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1264 » by payitforward » Fri May 19, 2017 4:05 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Oubre has been Ariza 2.0 from day one. Just like Ariza took about 4-5 years before he showed his true value I think the same is for Oubre.

Oubre is too limited off the dribble to be more than a role playing option. It's frightening to see him take more than two dribbles. I'd love him to prove me wrong but I'd be happy if he worked his 3 pt shot and became a better off the ball defender. Improving those two things would really make him a valuable piece next year.

Oubre's handle is poor, but he has a little more versatility than Trevor Ariza. In particular, Oubre has a quicker shot release and he doesn't need to wind up that release from his waist. And he can pair that quick release with a little hesitation dribble that freezes the defender long enough to get his shot off. That could potentially be the foundation for his offensive game. If nothing else, I think he'll be able to get off more shots with a defender close to him, much like Antawn Jamison or Melo.

Drew Hanlan is certainly going to have his work cut out for him to get Oubre more adept at going to his right, but I do think that Oubre has more offensive upside potential than Trevor Ariza. It's going to take a while though. For now, I really want him to get better defensively. He has length, athleticism, and effort, but his technique stinks. He's got to stop being so aggressive and foul prone. It seems like once a game he unnecessarily fouls a ball handler 35 feet from the basket.

Oubre's off the charts athleticism may actually have held him back. His big problem offensively is that he only has one hand. Can't dribble or shoot (even at the rim) w/ his off-hand.

It's true that Oubre's foul rate is atrocious.

He's very gifted, but it's like he never went through "basic training" or something.... Kind of like JaVale in that sense. Another great athlete & another guy who fouls way more than he needs to.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,969

Post#1265 » by dckingsfan » Fri May 19, 2017 9:46 pm

SpinninHouse wrote:
payitforward wrote:
SpinninHouse wrote:
Yeah I figured. He's 23 with a 18.0 PER and shot like 44% from behind the arc. The kid can play. Well, I'll go back to where I came from now. :D

Dude, you are welcome here any time. I see that you have put up over 1000 posts a year for 14+ years. You crazy!! Visit often, man!

Haha thanks man. I think my 14 years and 14,000 posts are probably more a reflection on me being a loser than anything! :D

Can you give us a mini breakdown on what you think the Bulls are going to do in the off-season?
SpinninHouse
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Post#1266 » by SpinninHouse » Sat May 20, 2017 2:44 am

dckingsfan wrote:
SpinninHouse wrote:
payitforward wrote:Dude, you are welcome here any time. I see that you have put up over 1000 posts a year for 14+ years. You crazy!! Visit often, man!

Can you give us a mini breakdown on what you think the Bulls are going to do in the off-season?

In all likelihood we'll sit on the sidelines and wait till 2018. To do anything significant. We're in tough spot because we have hardly any young talent - aside from Butler.

Hope we can land a few marquee FA's next summer to change our trajectory. But GarPax doesn't instill much confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FIRE THE JOHN "THE SNAKE" PAXSON, FOR GARMAN, AND FRED HOIBERGER.

#CHICAGOBULLS
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1267 » by payitforward » Sat May 20, 2017 12:47 pm

SpinninHouse wrote:
payitforward wrote:
SpinninHouse wrote:

Good God! I just noticed that I have made over 6900 posts in just over 5 years! Who am I to be teasing you?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,969

Post#1268 » by dckingsfan » Sat May 20, 2017 10:03 pm

SpinninHouse wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
SpinninHouse wrote:

In all likelihood we'll sit on the sidelines and wait till 2018. To do anything significant. We're in tough spot because we have hardly any young talent - aside from Butler.

Hope we can land a few marquee FA's next summer to change our trajectory. But GarPax doesn't instill much confidence.

Interesting - I would think that Felicio, Grant, Portis and Mirotic are going to improve next year (I would assume you would sign Felicio and Mirotic) - and if one breaks out like Butler did you are in pretty good shape. So, I can see how you would sit tight to see what happens. I think you could get a pretty good FC player with the 16th pick.

If Wade opts out - you will have boatloads of capspace?
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#1269 » by montestewart » Sun May 21, 2017 12:06 am

payitforward wrote:
SpinninHouse wrote:
payitforward wrote:Dude, you are welcome here any time. I see that you have put up over 1000 posts a year for 14+ years. You crazy!! Visit often, man!

Good God! I just noticed that I have made over 6900 posts in just over 5 years! Who am I to be teasing you?

Are those the raw numbers or is that pace adjusted?
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1270 » by nuposse04 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:56 am

montestewart wrote:
payitforward wrote:
SpinninHouse wrote:

PIFs wins produced per post are unrivaled around here for sure :P
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: RE: Re: Otto Porter Part 2 

Post#1271 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun May 21, 2017 1:36 am

payitforward wrote:
AFM wrote:
nate33 wrote:In the playoffs, with everyone watching, he averaged 11 and 7 with an ORtg of 127 (but he hit just 30% of his 3's).

Is that guy worth a max?

No, but you just put the bat signal out for PIF. He is about to respond re: how Otto is better than Wall.

How did I miss this...? :)

Look, we all agree that Otto Porter has a high ceiling, right? Now, you tell me -- which is higher, a ceiling or a Wall?

More seriously...
Spoiler:
You ain't sandbagging me into this sinkole!

Time.

Let's say in two years John Wall wants to go back to North Carolina and play for Charlotte. I aint mad @John if this happens...

Seems to me Otto will be a lot more valuable to the Wizards then

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1272 » by payitforward » Sun May 21, 2017 2:21 am

nuposse04 wrote:
montestewart wrote:
payitforward wrote:Good God! I just noticed that I have made over 6900 posts in just over 5 years! Who am I to be teasing you?

PIFs wins produced per post are unrivaled around here for sure :P

Oh sure. Go ahead & make fun of me. I'm a sensitive person -- but what does a cruel, hard-hearted person like you know of that? What do you care?

What do any of you care? Do you know how I suffer? No. I'm just a clever acronym to you, a mere string of unending words beating a horse so dead it never even ate hay -- let alone its own words!

But go ahead, I say. I can take it.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Re: RE: Re: Otto Porter Part 2 

Post#1273 » by FAH1223 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:01 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
payitforward wrote:
AFM wrote:No, but you just put the bat signal out for PIF. He is about to respond re: how Otto is better than Wall.

How did I miss this...? :)

Look, we all agree that Otto Porter has a high ceiling, right? Now, you tell me -- which is higher, a ceiling or a Wall?

More seriously...
Spoiler:
You ain't sandbagging me into this sinkole!

Time.

Let's say in two years John Wall wants to go back to North Carolina and play for Charlotte. I aint mad @John if this happens...

Seems to me Otto will be a lot more valuable to the Wizards then

Sent from my Moto G (4) using RealGM mobile app

Can't see Wall going to Charlotte. He loves DC, his late father was from DC, he's big on the night life, community service, etc...

Obviously things can change but he's on record saying he doesn't want to go anywhere and wants to win a championship in DC.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#1274 » by stevemcqueen1 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:33 am

I wonder if Philly ending up with the #3 pick takes them out of the Otto Porter market?
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1275 » by Illmatic12 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:20 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:I wonder if Philly ending up with the #3 pick takes them out of the Otto Porter market?

Well all it takes is one team and there's still the Nets and the Kings..
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#1276 » by Kanyewest » Mon May 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:I wonder if Philly ending up with the #3 pick takes them out of the Otto Porter market?

I could see a chance for Porter's career earnings (ie his next contract) by going to one of those teams rather than playing alongside Wall/Beal. That being said, Washington would be significantly worse in the short term.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#1277 » by pcbothwel » Mon May 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:

I think the Kings take either Tatum or Jackson at 4... The Nets could view Otto as a sure fire match and look to other players. KCP, Snell, and Muhummad
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#1278 » by FAH1223 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Read on Twitter
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,178

Post#1279 » by cedric76 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:11 am

How far would you match?

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#1280 » by nate33 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:12 pm

cedric76 wrote:How far would you match?

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app

We will pay the max if necessary. He's not going anywhere.

Return to Washington Wizards