2017 NBA Draft Talk

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Re: 2017 NBA Draft Talk 

Post#381 » by Andre Roberstan » Fri May 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Old Man Game wrote:I'm not on board with the trading down thing, but this does seem a year it'd be good to have one or a couple early second round picks. Guys like Ojeleye, Diallo, Jordan Bell, possibly even Jawun Evans. Lots of intriguiting guys currently mocked around the late 1st early second from what I'm seeing. I get the feeling this is one of those years there's going to be a diamond in the rough come out of that group in the 30-45 range.

I'm not so high on Ojeleye and Diallo. Ojeleye is undersized with bad measurables, which isn't a good thing—undersized guys who make a difference on both ends tend to have good wingspan and standing reach. Think he's a PF at the next level, and even if you think Faried is his comp, Faried is bigger and has better reach and wingspan. His athleticism is insane, though, so maybe that makes up for it. Diallo is all athleticism and hasn't played organized ball in a while.

Bell and Evans I like. Think Evans could be a nice steal even though he's short. Has the best wingspan of any under 6' player that's ever been in the combine (6'5.5"), and he's built thick. Not that athletic but he's a pick-and-roll killer. Bell handles and passes well for a PF and was terrific on the athletic portion of the test. Defense is obviously excellent, and block/steal/rebound usually translate well to next level.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#382 » by Andre Roberstan » Fri May 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Steve Shea thinks Cam Oliver will be a steal for someone:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Cameron-Oliver-82860/
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#383 » by Balkman32 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:06 pm

getrichordie wrote:
Knrstz wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:I doubt we deal Dipo.

Maybe not but I think it's more likely than moving Adams.

Why does everyone think Presti is so committed to Adams? Presti is a smart GM. If someone offers him an enticing package that would leave us with flexibility and brings us back some good wings, why not?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I dont get why people think Presti will deal Adams and or Dipo. They are both staying and i think its a no brainier. They both didn't have the years we expected or wanted. So, I don't think Sam is about trading guys with less value than they should have. I sont think Sam has ever signed someone then dealt him unless the guy was in the last year of his contract. I HIGHLY doubt he changes his tune now. I think both Adams and Oladipo need to show up BIG this year and I think they will. We need to get away from dealing them and move towards building around them. I remember everyone wanted to deal Westbrook in 2010-2012. Lets give Vic and Steve a chance.

I would plan to have Adams, Oladipo, and Westbrook as the core guys moving forward. With Roberson, Abrines, McDermott, Sabonis, and Grant being key players to either play or make a play on the trade market. The final piece is Kanter. What they do w/ him should be pretty interesting. Its just going to be hard to find a taker that is willing to part with an asset. Maybe the Bulls are down to get fleeced again. I would think a bad team would be interesting in adding him because he could be their #1 option on offense.

Some East teams that could have some interest in Kanter: Boston (Other than Horford they don't have another big), Charlotte, Chicago, Indiana, Orlando, Toronto, and Washington.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#384 » by Andre Roberstan » Fri May 19, 2017 5:23 pm

Balkman32 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
Knrstz wrote:
Maybe not but I think it's more likely than moving Adams.

Why does everyone think Presti is so committed to Adams? Presti is a smart GM. If someone offers him an enticing package that would leave us with flexibility and brings us back some good wings, why not?

Some East teams that could have some interest in Kanter: Boston (Other than Horford they don't have another big), Charlotte, Chicago, Indiana, Orlando, Toronto, and Washington.

Boston wants to keep their cap clear and they have one very good stash and one decent stash that could come this year.

Charlotte is in cap hell and wants to cut salary.

Chicago could be an option, but it's more because GarPax are dumb about this stuff than anything else.

Indiana is unlikely unless they wanted to consolidate Monta/AlJeff. And I don't see that, since that money could be cut earlier. Pritchard is unlikely to compromise his cap dealing for Kanter. Unless PG13 gets dealt, in which case all bets are off.

Orlando already has Vucevic.

Toronto already has Valanciunas, is in cap hell and wants to cut salary.

Washington could be an option, depending on how they view Gortat and Mahinmi. Never know what Grunfeld will do. Probably something dumb.
Balkman32
Lead Assistant
And1: 808

Post#385 » by Balkman32 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:
Balkman32 wrote:
getrichordie wrote:

Boston wants to keep their cap clear and they have one very good stash and one decent stash that could come this year.

Charlotte is in cap hell and wants to cut salary.

Chicago could be an option, but it's more because GarPax are dumb about this stuff than anything else.

Indiana is unlikely unless they wanted to consolidate Monta/AlJeff. And I don't see that, since that money could be cut earlier. Pritchard is unlikely to compromise his cap dealing for Kanter. Unless PG13 gets dealt, in which case all bets are off.

Orlando already has Vucevic.

Toronto already has Valanciunas, is in cap hell and wants to cut salary.

Washington could be an option, depending on how they view Gortat and Mahinmi. Never know what Grunfeld will do. Probably something dumb.

Boston does want to keep the cap space to sign someone. But, after they do that they could be interested in the Kanter market. He turns 25 tomorrow.

If Charlotte wants to cut salaries we could do a Batum for Kanter deal it would save them some change and years. I dont know how much they want to cut because they did trade for Miles Plumlee 4 year $48 million contract at the deadline.

Indiana has to move PG13. They have no choice their hands are literally tied. The NBA should really re-think the sign and trade and letting the current team give the most money. George can make the same on the market as he can in Indiana. Teams losing all stars for nothing is detrimental to this league

Orlando and Toronto are more 3 team deals that we could look at.

Mahinmi got a boat load of money this offseason for no reason. Gortat is getting old. With the Zards having Beal and Wall they might be interested in Kanters services. But, they don't have much to offer back.

The most important issue here is finding someone who wants his services. Then it might be up to finding teams 3 & 4 to make it worth every ones while.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#386 » by Old Man Game » Sat May 20, 2017 12:45 am

Andre Roberstan wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:I'm not on board with the trading down thing, but this does seem a year it'd be good to have one or a couple early second round picks. Guys like Ojeleye, Diallo, Jordan Bell, possibly even Jawun Evans. Lots of intriguiting guys currently mocked around the late 1st early second from what I'm seeing. I get the feeling this is one of those years there's going to be a diamond in the rough come out of that group in the 30-45 range.

I'm not so high on Ojeleye and Diallo. Ojeleye is undersized with bad measurables, which isn't a good thing—undersized guys who make a difference on both ends tend to have good wingspan and standing reach. Think he's a PF at the next level, and even if you think Faried is his comp, Faried is bigger and has better reach and wingspan. His athleticism is insane, though, so maybe that makes up for it. Diallo is all athleticism and hasn't played organized ball in a while.

Bell and Evans I like. Think Evans could be a nice steal even though he's short. Has the best wingspan of any under 6' player that's ever been in the combine (6'5.5"), and he's built thick. Not that athletic but he's a pick-and-roll killer. Bell handles and passes well for a PF and was terrific on the athletic portion of the test. Defense is obviously excellent, and block/steal/rebound usually translate well to next level.

To be clear I'm not certain Ojeleye will be good. Odds are he probably won't be. But that's why it'd be great to get him with a second and be able to park him with the Blue. Just really intrigued by his athleticism. If he can guard 2s on the permieter he'd be really interesting. There isn't a SG in the league that could post the guy up.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#387 » by jambalaya » Sat May 20, 2017 1:17 am

If they don't love someone left at #21, consider trading down for 2 or 3 lower picks.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#388 » by ThunderBolt » Sat May 20, 2017 1:54 am

NBA draft.net had us taking Ivan Rabb. He's a guy I've not heard much about. On another mock draft they had Jarrett Allen dropping to 18. I would be happy if we snagged him at 21.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Osirus89
Starter
And1: 2,016

Post#389 » by Osirus89 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:44 am

Knrstz wrote:NBA draft.net had us taking Ivan Rabb. He's a guy I've not heard much about. On another mock draft they had Jarrett Allen dropping to 18. I would be happy if we snagged him at 21.

I love jarrett allen. If he was close enough at pick 18, i would try to trade up to get him. He would instantly replace kanter and could replace steven eventually. He should be able to shoot from deep eventually. Out of our current centers, only domas can do that.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#390 » by Old Man Game » Sat May 20, 2017 4:56 am

Knrstz wrote:NBA draft.net had us taking Ivan Rabb. He's a guy I've not heard much about. On another mock draft they had Jarrett Allen dropping to 18. I would be happy if we snagged him at 21.

Here's Rabb. Looks pretty slight to play as an NBA big. Like Tyson Chandler if he were shorter and narrower at the shoulder.

spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#391 » by spearsy23 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:40 am

I want Bam. I'm falling for the guy enough that I might even take him without trading back.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#392 » by spearsy23 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:47 am

Old Man Game wrote:

Here's Rabb. Looks pretty slight to play as an NBA big. Like Tyson Chandler if he were shorter and narrower at the shoulder.

Might just be me but I have concerns when the weaknesses section is
Perimeter
Interior
Defensive upside

That didn't leave a whole lotta strengths.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#393 » by No-Man » Sun May 21, 2017 11:41 am

Old Man Game wrote:If he can guard 2s on the permieter he'd be really interesting. There isn't a SG in the league that could post the guy up.

lol at this, he can't guard nobody, has no hips and plays super upright, the guy has 0 flexibility, he is built like a brick house and can jump, but his mobility sucks, and he plays with no force.

he is basically a 4 that won't get abused by bigger guys but doesnt give you anything on offense, he aint gonna make it.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#394 » by Andre Roberstan » Sun May 21, 2017 5:27 pm

spearsy23 wrote:I want Bam. I'm falling for the guy enough that I might even take him without trading back.

Adebayo? Idk. Not sure about taking a C unless it's an absolute sure thing he's a star.
OkcMagic
Junior
And1: 159

Post#395 » by OkcMagic » Sun May 21, 2017 6:27 pm

I'm telling you guys now. Kings is trading that 10th pick to use for kanter. We might get wcs out of the deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#396 » by Andre Roberstan » Sun May 21, 2017 7:14 pm

OkcMagic wrote:I'm telling you guys now. Kings is trading that 10th pick to use for kanter. We might get wcs out of the deal

If they do that, Vlade needs to clean out his desk before the trade call goes through.
OkcMagic
Junior
And1: 159

Post#397 » by OkcMagic » Sun May 21, 2017 7:15 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:
OkcMagic wrote:I'm telling you guys now. Kings is trading that 10th pick to use for kanter. We might get wcs out of the deal

If they do that, Vlade needs to clean out his desk before the trade call goes through.

WCS and the tenth pick is an absolute steal for the kings if they can get a player as great as kanter. He can rebound, shoot, post game. He's like a Steph curry mixed with klay with Hakeem skills

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#398 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sun May 21, 2017 7:57 pm

While I believe the Kings are opposed to winning. I refuse to believe their desire to lose or stupidity reaches this level.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#399 » by getrichordie » Sun May 21, 2017 8:16 pm

OkcMagic wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:

WCS and the tenth pick is an absolute steal for the kings if they can get a player as great as kanter. He can rebound, shoot, post game. He's like a Steph curry mixed with klay with Hakeem skills

Am I still dreaming?

[twitter] @thunderdustin
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#400 » by Old Man Game » Mon May 22, 2017 12:42 am

Fischella wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:If he can guard 2s on the permieter he'd be really interesting. There isn't a SG in the league that could post the guy up.

lol at this, he can't guard nobody, has no hips and plays super upright, the guy has 0 flexibility, he is built like a brick house and can jump, but his mobility sucks, and he plays with no force.

he is basically a 4 that won't get abused by bigger guys but doesnt give you anything on offense, he aint gonna make it.

I know it's not a perfect measure for lateral quickness but his score in the lane agility drill seems to suggest there more there laterally than he may have showed at the NCAA level. Like I say, not perfect but if we're talking second round picks I could see giving him a shot.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder