Hawks Offered Four Future First Round Picks To Pacers For Paul George

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Hawks Offered Four Future First Round Picks To Pacers For Paul George 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri May 19, 2017 5:12 am

The Atlanta Hawks offered four first round picks to the Indiana Pacers in exchange for Paul George at the trade deadline.

The Pacers also received trade interest in George from the Boston Celtics and Denver Nuggets.

In addition to their own picks, the Hawks own future first rounders from the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2018 and the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2019.

The Hawks' front office has since undergone significant changes, with Mike Budenholzer stepping down as president of basketball operations. Atlanta is still searching for their ultimate decision maker.

With George only one year from free agency and believed to prefer to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers, it is unlikely the Pacers will receive a package of that quality again if they revisit trade talks.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

bj2323
Junior
And1: 31

Re: Hawks Offered Four Future First Round Picks To Pacers For Paul George 

Post#2 » by bj2323 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:43 am

yikes... that trade would have made the Hawks into the Nets 2.0, since it would be unlikely that PG would resign.
I likes sports
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,348

Post#3 » by Revived » Fri May 19, 2017 6:07 am

bj2323 wrote:yikes... that trade would have made the Hawks into the Nets 2.0, since it would be unlikely that PG would resign.

They probably didn't offer it as unprotected which is why Indy likely declined. May have also only offered two of theirs while giving up the Minny and Cleveland picks.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,368

Post#4 » by baldur » Fri May 19, 2017 7:15 am

bj2323 wrote:yikes... that trade would have made the Hawks into the Nets 2.0, since it would be unlikely that PG would resign.

how come? two picks are coming from other teams.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#5 » by MotownMadness » Fri May 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Lmao
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#6 » by Killboard » Fri May 19, 2017 2:19 pm

That was a pretty crap offer. Atlanta with PG is a late lottery team at worst, Wolves pick is lottery protected and Cavs pick is in the late 20.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#7 » by 12footrim » Fri May 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Killboard wrote:That was a pretty crap offer. Atlanta with PG is a late lottery team at worst, Wolves pick is lottery protected and Cavs pick is in the late 20.

Opposed to what though? He's just going to walk in a year and no one is going to chance much for a one year rental.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Killboard
Analyst

Post#8 » by Killboard » Fri May 19, 2017 3:19 pm

12footrim wrote:
Killboard wrote:That was a pretty crap offer. Atlanta with PG is a late lottery team at worst, Wolves pick is lottery protected and Cavs pick is in the late 20.

Opposed to what though? He's just going to walk in a year and no one is going to chance much for a one year rental.

I would be happier dying with my eyes open and competing two seasons than one pick in the late teens and 3 in the 20's. Wasnt Love traded for a 1st overall pick with 1 year in his contract too?
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by 12footrim » Fri May 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Killboard wrote:
12footrim wrote:

I would be happier dying with my eyes open and competing two seasons than one pick in the late teens and 3 in the 20's. Wasnt Love traded for a 1st overall pick with 1 year in his contract too?

Wasn't Cousins traded for basically a doo doo platter? The Love trade is the exception IMO. The Cavs had a special circumstance and reason to win now. Love was also averaging 25 and 13 or something stupid on high efficiency.

PG is also known to want to go to the Lakers. That's just the perception if not the reality. 4 first rounders man. He's overatted as it is. Look at his real plus minus, his PER his barely playoff in the east team. He's not some superstar. He's probably more like the 30th best player if that.

If they gave up the Timberwolves what have they proven? That's a pick very likely still in the teens, and Atlanta overachieved this year, I doubt they would even be in the top 4 in the east next year even with Paul. Beats another 7 seed sweep and letting him walk anyway. I doubt they get even as good of a deal this year.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Killboard
Analyst

Post#10 » by Killboard » Fri May 19, 2017 4:45 pm

12footrim wrote:Wasn't Cousins traded for basically a doo doo platter? The Love trade is the exception IMO. The Cavs had a special circumstance and reason to win now. Love was also averaging 25 and 13 or something stupid on high efficiency.

PG is also known to want to go to the Lakers. That's just the perception if not the reality. 4 first rounders man. He's overatted as it is. Look at his real plus minus, his PER his barely playoff in the east team. He's not some superstar. He's probably more like the 30th best player if that.

If they gave up the Timberwolves what have they proven? That's a pick very likely still in the teens, and Atlanta overachieved this year, I doubt they would even be in the top 4 in the east next year even with Paul. Beats another 7 seed sweep and letting him walk anyway. I doubt they get even as good of a deal this year.

The wolves pick is in the late teens at best, because is lottery protected, other way it conveys in some 2nd rounders in like 2020 or so.

Cousins was traded for a 6th pick with 8 years of control, a top10 pick (and a chance to go up in the lottery), Galloway and Evans (which are probably better than the average odds of get rotation level players in the mid/late 20). In top of that Cousins had a lot of behaviour troubles in the past and even with that in mind the Kings FO was laughed about the return.

The leverage with Paul George resigning would come if he is traded to a contender, just like Love did. If a guy can get a max contract and a chance to be in a serious contender, I doubt he refuse to play for another team for just money. But thats on him I suppose. But if he is in my control, I would just play him and let him expire over being simply be laughed at for those kind of picks.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by 12footrim » Fri May 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Killboard wrote:
12footrim wrote:Wasn't Cousins traded for basically a doo doo platter? The Love trade is the exception IMO. The Cavs had a special circumstance and reason to win now. Love was also averaging 25 and 13 or something stupid on high efficiency.

The wolves pick is in the late teens at best, because is lottery protected, other way it conveys in some 2nd rounders in like 2020 or so.

Cousins was traded for a 6th pick with 8 years of control, a top10 pick (and a chance to go up in the lottery), Galloway and Evans (which are probably better than the average odds of get rotation level players in the mid/late 20). In top of that Cousins had a lot of behaviour troubles in the past and even with that in mind the Kings FO was laughed about the return.

The leverage with Paul George resigning would come if he is traded to a contender, just like Love did. If a guy can get a max contract and a chance to be in a serious contender, I doubt he refuse to play for another team for just money. But thats on him I suppose. But if he is in my control, I would just play him and let him expire over being simply be laughed at for those kind of picks.

Paul George

#42 Player Efficiency Rating
#38 Real plus minus (#235 defensive RPM)

Ultimately I just don't think he's that good. Not for the amount of hype and what you will have to pay him.

There are also plenty of good players not picked in the lottery. Kawhi, Greek Freak, Gobert, Draymond, IT, Jokic, Jimmy Butler, Lowry, Whiteside, DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol. Most of which could have been had with a pick in the 20's.That's a good bit of the top 30 player in the NBA right now that came from that area of the draft.

Think of all the bust in the lottery as well. Giving yourself 4 bites at the apple isn't nothing, which is what they are likely to get. Heck something to be said about getting 4 first rounders between 15-30 vs one #8 or whatever. People ignore the enormous amount of bust and disappointments even in the top 5.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#12 » by dballislife » Fri May 19, 2017 7:21 pm

4 1st for a year of george is crazy...who knows what range those 1st will be but still

nets traded 3 1st for one year of pierce and kg...and the 1st ended up being a 3rd overall, 1st overall, and most likely another 1-5 next year MY GAWD RIGHT lol
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
tocooks101
Senior
And1: 429

Post#13 » by tocooks101 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:24 pm

12footrim wrote:
Killboard wrote:

Paul George

Ultimately I just don't think he's that good. Not for the amount of hype and what you will have to pay him.

There are also plenty of good players not picked in the lottery. Kawhi, Greek Freak, Gobert, Draymond, IT, Jokic, Jimmy Butler, Lowry, Whiteside, DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol. Most of which could have been had with a pick in the 20's.That's a good bit of the top 30 player in the NBA right now that came from that area of the draft.

Think of all the bust in the lottery as well. Giving yourself 4 bites at the apple isn't nothing, which is what they are likely to get. Heck something to be said about getting 4 first rounders between 15-30 vs one #8 or whatever. People ignore the enormous amount of bust and disappointments even in the top 5.

Its fine you don't think PG is that good, however, why are you talking about where certain guys are picked in the draft? Yes some guys that get drafted high are busts and some guys drafted in the middle turn out great blah blah balh but what are you actually saying? Are you actually saying its BETTER to have a mid first round pick then a top 5? If not then please stop rambling on about nothing.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#14 » by luss54321 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:47 pm

dballislife wrote:4 1st for a year of george is crazy...who knows what range those 1st will be but still

nets traded 3 1st for one year of pierce and kg...and the 1st ended up being a 3rd overall, 1st overall, and most likely another 1-5 next year MY GAWD RIGHT lol

Honestly, that trade should have been rejected by the league office and Billy King should have been ruled too incompetent to be an NBA GM.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#15 » by LakersLegacy » Fri May 19, 2017 9:26 pm

How can they justify that for an expiring contract?
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,726

Post#16 » by KamikazeK » Fri May 19, 2017 10:58 pm

dballislife wrote:4 1st for a year of george is crazy...who knows what range those 1st will be but still

Technically it was 4 first-round picks if you're including this year's pick swap. Boston got their 2014, 2016, and 2018 picks outright as well as the swap rights in 2017. The picks Boston received from the Nets trade include the #6 pick in 2014, the #3 pick in 2016, and now the #1 pick in 2017 through the pick swap. Who knows what the 2018 pick will be.

So it's actually even worse than you think. :lol:

luss54321 wrote:

Honestly, that trade should have been rejected by the league office and Billy King should have been ruled too incompetent to be an NBA GM.

Is it the league's responsibility to save teams from their own incompetence?
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,795

Post#17 » by HotelVitale » Sat May 20, 2017 12:01 am

12footrim wrote: Wasn't Cousins traded for basically a doo doo platter? The Love trade is the exception IMO.

Don't see any evidence to support that. The last couple all-NBA level guys traded in their prime were Deron Williams--who fetched multiple top-5 picks and a young starter in Devin Harris--and Love, who fetched a #1 overall and several other 1st rounders. You can then go back to Chris Paul, who got a young near all-star (Eric Gordon), a pick that was expected to be top 5, a recent top-8 pick (Aminu), and Chris Kaman (who was a solid starter back then). KG springs to mind, too, though he and Ray Allen were a little older then.

Cousins was the exception: teams were scared off by his mental health and his perceived lack of discipline (and prob by his lack of team success). His price was driven way down because of that, no one with assets was interested.

I'm not saying that PG will get that kind of price (he's a big flight risk after this season) but the record seems clear--all-NBA level guys in their prime get back hefty returns.
EnriCela13
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#18 » by EnriCela13 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:19 am

tocooks101 wrote:
12footrim wrote:
Killboard wrote:

Paul George

Its fine you don't think PG is that good, however, why are you talking about where certain guys are picked in the draft? Yes some guys that get drafted high are busts and some guys drafted in the middle turn out great blah blah balh but what are you actually saying? Are you actually saying its BETTER to have a mid first round pick then a top 5? If not then please stop rambling on about nothing.

He is clearly saying FOUR picks in the 15-30 range is better than ONE top 5-8 pick. I completely agree. That's the best package that will be offered for PG13.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by 12footrim » Sat May 20, 2017 9:01 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
12footrim wrote: Wasn't Cousins traded for basically a doo doo platter? The Love trade is the exception IMO.

Don't see any evidence to support that. The last couple all-NBA level guys traded in their prime were Deron Williams--who fetched multiple top-5 picks and a young starter in Devin Harris--and Love, who fetched a #1 overall and several other 1st rounders. You can then go back to Chris Paul, who got a young near all-star (Eric Gordon), a pick that was expected to be top 5, a recent top-8 pick (Aminu), and Chris Kaman (who was a solid starter back then). KG springs to mind, too, though he and Ray Allen were a little older then.

Cousins was the exception: teams were scared off by his mental health and his perceived lack of discipline (and prob by his lack of team success). His price was driven way down because of that, no one with assets was interested.

I'm not saying that PG will get that kind of price (he's a big flight risk after this season) but the record seems clear--all-NBA level guys in their prime get back hefty returns.

It's pretty rare for the number one pick to be traded before he even plays a game. Obviously the best player in the world go into a franchise that stunk and had the number one pick is a unique circumstance.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,795

Post#20 » by HotelVitale » Sat May 20, 2017 9:21 pm

12footrim wrote: It's pretty rare for the number one pick to be traded before he even plays a game. Obviously the best player in the world go into a franchise that stunk and had the number one pick is a unique circumstance.

Also rare for a top-4 team in the league to have a #1 overall like the Celts do now. Not saying they should trade it--would it really give them a shot against the Cavs?--you just seem to be oversimplifying everything.

Return to Wiretap Discussion