The Cavs put the nail in the coffin on the regular season

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

jswede
Sixth Man
And1: 1,840

Re: The Cavs put the nail in the coffin on the regular season 

Post#61 » by jswede » Fri May 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Warchant wrote:
jswede wrote:
Warchant wrote:Portland w Nurkic is better than Tor and Ind....Portland w Nurkic vs GS is still easy pickings...thats my point

Except Toronto beat Portland with Nurkic. You have no points.

Ya no points....he was traded a couple of days before at the deadline when they played Tor...Portland had a great record w Nurkic...they bounce Tor in a playoff series

Yea, two weeks before.... but hey, I'll take your word for it - you sound knowledgeable.
MastermindLV
Senior
And1: 822

Post#62 » by MastermindLV » Fri May 19, 2017 9:42 pm

baller16 wrote:
MastermindLV wrote:Exactly why KD joined the Warriors. Equal the playing field

Equal the playing field lol gtfo. Is this really what Warrior fans think?? smh

So.... if KD stayed he was just supposed to battle it out with the Warriors and Spurs the whole time while the Cavs have an easy walk to the Finals?
Vee-Rex
Starter
And1: 2,666

Post#63 » by Vee-Rex » Fri May 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
Vee-Rex wrote:Where are all the concern trolls that were plaguing Cavs-related topics in the regular season?

Crickets.

Right, and if the Cavs unexpectedly choked this series away, or get blown out by the Warriors, one could say the same about Cavs fans disappearing. Obviously some people were trolling but championship teams don't commonly just punt on the regular season, and we have seen it blow up in those teams faces before. This is not a concern troll statement but something that I speak on from experience rooting for a LeBron James-led team, I'd be somewhat worried getting such an easy path to the Finals.

What Cleveland is doing now is impressive, but firstly it is not the norm or something to be expected when a team is as utterly average in the regular season as they were, and second, it IS fair to point out their competition has been somewhat weak. Indiana put up the most fight, you have a Toronto team that everyone knows is doomed to forever be treadmill, and this Boston team is arguably the worst #1 seed in the last 20 years, a #1 seed with an SRS below 3.0 is embarrassing.

For reference, the 2006 Heat are usually agreed on this site to be the weakest NBA champion in the last 20 years, and if not them, the 2004 Pistons. The 2006 Heat sleepwalked through the regular season and had an SRS of 3.59. The Pistons only really started looking elite after acquiring Rasheed, and had an SRS of 5.04. The Celtics this season, 2.25, while the Cavs were at 2.87. These are absolutely anemic regular season numbers for the top 2 teams in a conference. For even more reference, the Jason Kidd Nets that got destroyed in the Finals, 3.67. The Reggie Miller/Rik Smits Pacers? 4.15. The Allen Iverson 76ers? 3.63.

If I could find a way to sort it, I suspect there's a good chance that none of the Finals teams from the past 20 years have had an SRS under 3. So people questioning the Cavs were perfectly within their rights from a logical perspective, and not just automatically "trolls".

EDIT: I looked it up, the lowest SRS by a Finals team in the last 20 years was the '99 Knicks, 1.45, and they got wrecked. The next lowest, the 2005 Pistons at 3.31. The next after that, the 2007 Cavs at 3.33. None of those teams won the Finals. The lowest by a champion was the 2006 Heat.

The problem with your post (and line of thinking) is that people (not everyone, but some for sure) were absolutely unwilling to entertain even the SLIGHTEST possibility that the Cavs had a switch and were coasting.

If people were just legitimately concerned, where are all the, "Wow, I was wrong." posts? Quite frankly, this site should be littered with them up and down. Check back to March of the general board and you'll see. Yet, I haven't seen one post on the general board of someone acknowledging that they were wrong.

So IMO, a big portion of those people were concern trolls that simply had some stats to back up their trolling.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,078

Post#64 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Fri May 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Vee-Rex wrote:
The problem with your post (and line of thinking) is that people (not everyone, but some for sure) were absolutely unwilling to entertain even the SLIGHTEST possibility that the Cavs had a switch and were coasting.

If people were just legitimately concerned, where are all the, "Wow, I was wrong." posts? Quite frankly, this site should be littered with them up and down. Check back to March of the general board and you'll see. Yet, I haven't seen one post on the general board of someone acknowledging that they were wrong.

So IMO, a big portion of those people were concern trolls that simply had some stats to back up their trolling.

Well, to begin with I acknowledged a portion of them likely are trolls. That comes with the territory.

But beyond that, I think the overwhelming opinion was the Cavs might run into trouble in the EC playoffs, or they might cruise, but they would get blown out by their Finals opponent (likely GSW) regardless. That would be the series for people to say they were wrong. The Cavs being the best in an extremely weak field really is not all that surprising. The way they're winning games, yeah that's somewhat impressive, but the outcomes aren't a shocker to anyone.

I don't recall seeing a ton of people predicting Cleveland to not make it out of the eastern conference. But maybe since I'm not a Cavs fan, I wasn't sensitive to those types of predictions in the first place and wasn't as likely to catch them.
Warchant
Analyst
And1: 1,265

Post#65 » by Warchant » Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 pm

jswede wrote:
Warchant wrote:
jswede wrote:

Ya no points....he was traded a couple of days before at the deadline when they played Tor...Portland had a great record w Nurkic...they bounce Tor in a playoff series

Yea, two weeks before.... but hey, I'll take your word for it - you sound knowledgeable.

Well the trade deadline was Feb 23 and they played Tor Feb 26 so your right 2 weeks before :crazy:...lets just pretend the AS game never happened and he played 5-7 games before they played Tor...smh
Warchant
Analyst

Post#66 » by Warchant » Fri May 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Vee-Rex wrote:
Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
Vee-Rex wrote:Where are all the concern trolls that were plaguing Cavs-related topics in the regular season?

Crickets.

Right, and if the Cavs unexpectedly choked this series away, or get blown out by the Warriors, one could say the same about Cavs fans disappearing. Obviously some people were trolling but championship teams don't commonly just punt on the regular season, and we have seen it blow up in those teams faces before. This is not a concern troll statement but something that I speak on from experience rooting for a LeBron James-led team, I'd be somewhat worried getting such an easy path to the Finals.

What Cleveland is doing now is impressive, but firstly it is not the norm or something to be expected when a team is as utterly average in the regular season as they were, and second, it IS fair to point out their competition has been somewhat weak. Indiana put up the most fight, you have a Toronto team that everyone knows is doomed to forever be treadmill, and this Boston team is arguably the worst #1 seed in the last 20 years, a #1 seed with an SRS below 3.0 is embarrassing.

For reference, the 2006 Heat are usually agreed on this site to be the weakest NBA champion in the last 20 years, and if not them, the 2004 Pistons. The 2006 Heat sleepwalked through the regular season and had an SRS of 3.59. The Pistons only really started looking elite after acquiring Rasheed, and had an SRS of 5.04. The Celtics this season, 2.25, while the Cavs were at 2.87. These are absolutely anemic regular season numbers for the top 2 teams in a conference. For even more reference, the Jason Kidd Nets that got destroyed in the Finals, 3.67. The Reggie Miller/Rik Smits Pacers? 4.15. The Allen Iverson 76ers? 3.63.

If I could find a way to sort it, I suspect there's a good chance that none of the Finals teams from the past 20 years have had an SRS under 3. So people questioning the Cavs were perfectly within their rights from a logical perspective, and not just automatically "trolls".

EDIT: I looked it up, the lowest SRS by a Finals team in the last 20 years was the '99 Knicks, 1.45, and they got wrecked. The next lowest, the 2005 Pistons at 3.31. The next after that, the 2007 Cavs at 3.33. None of those teams won the Finals. The lowest by a champion was the 2006 Heat.

The Cavs struggled w Indiana, Tor missed Lowry for half the series and Bost is softer than butter...keep trying to tell everyone they flipped the switch
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,131

Post#67 » by Onus » Fri May 19, 2017 9:58 pm

Everyone subconsciously knew that the regular season doesn't mean anything. Everyone has heard that the playoffs are a completely different league and the saying, "Playoff basketball". Hell everyone has been saying all the splashy offenses of Mike D'antoni don't translate to the playoffs, where teams actually play defense and get to fully scout them. And now people want to act like they're so disgusted by it, with their faux outrage.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
PizzaSteve
Veteran
And1: 1,837

Post#68 » by PizzaSteve » Fri May 19, 2017 10:04 pm

MastermindLV wrote:
baller16 wrote:

So.... if KD stayed he was just supposed to battle it out with the Warriors and Spurs the whole time while the Cavs have an easy walk to the Finals?

This fan sees it as an arms race. You don't intentionally try to equalize, ...thats stupid... you go for superiority, of course.

Thats why teams practice, have coaches, lift weights. Anyone that thinks we should play for equality must have grown up with participation ribbons, not 1st, 2nd, 3rd, none. Might as well play for tie games as a league objective, so no one's feelings get hurt.
The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,384

Post#69 » by The4thHorseman » Fri May 19, 2017 10:05 pm

and1GS wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:

Nah, you guys were up 3-1 on LeBron and things very easily could have gone your way with the bounce of a ball or two. The playing field was already even.

KD joined the warriors because he's a sissy that quit on his team that was right there with 2 other teams on that level playing field.

What would you call what LeBron originally did to Cleveland? Shrewd, winning move?

LeBron didn't leave a 5x All-NBA teammate + 2x scoring champ (Russ) and another 3x All Defense + 2x blocks leader (Serge).

He left Shaq, Jamison, J.J Hickson, Anthony Parker, Delonte West etc....

See the difference??
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,655

Post#70 » by XxIronChainzxX » Fri May 19, 2017 10:12 pm

PizzaSteve wrote:
MastermindLV wrote:
baller16 wrote:

This fan sees it as an arms race. You don't intentionally try to equalize, ...thats stupid... you go for superiority, of course.

Thats why teams practice, have coaches, lift weights. Anyone that thinks we should play for equality must have grown up with participation ribbons, not 1st, 2nd, 3rd, none. Might as well play for tie games as a league objective, so no one's feelings get hurt.

This makes no sense. This isn't about KD training hard. Stacking teams has no connection with competition. It's anti-competition - all the good players on one team high-fiving themselves for beating up on teams that don't have the talent to compete.
peja_the_legend
Bench Warmer
And1: 857

Post#71 » by peja_the_legend » Fri May 19, 2017 10:39 pm

As Lebron gets older i expect him to play one game per week from next season on.Cavs only goal will be to finish in top 8..Even as an 8th seed they would have no problem sweeping any other opponent in the East..yep,the op title couldnt be more correct...Regular season is dead,it's just a glorified pre season.
xfactor
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,592

Post#72 » by xfactor » Fri May 19, 2017 10:49 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:The Cavs look like they will sweep their way to the finals. All of the regular season indicators had them struggling somewhat to make the finals. They were terrible defensively and simply didn't care. They had everyone convinced they had legitimate issues. The fact that they flipped the switch so easily shows how useless the regular season is. They could be 6th next season and as long as they are healthy they would and should be massive favorites.

I was not convinced they were in trouble, not even for a second. The cruise control was so obvious to me, I can't believe anyone bought into that narrative.
xfactor
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,592

Post#73 » by xfactor » Fri May 19, 2017 10:51 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
PizzaSteve wrote:
MastermindLV wrote:

This makes no sense. This isn't about KD training hard. Stacking teams has no connection with competition. It's anti-competition - all the good players on one team high-fiving themselves for beating up on teams that don't have the talent to compete.

What makes no sense? You'd rather have one dominant team 'ragdolling' the rest of the league, or would you like to at least have one other team even have a change against them?
chrispak98
Sophomore
And1: 128

Post#74 » by chrispak98 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Warchant wrote:
jswede wrote:
Warchant wrote:Portland w Nurkic is better than Tor and Ind....Portland w Nurkic vs GS is still easy pickings...thats my point

Dude, your whole agenda on this forum is anti-LeBron.

It is ridiculous, that is all you do. I'm sure if LeBron scored 101 points next game you would say the refs rigged the game or something
jswede
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by jswede » Fri May 19, 2017 11:56 pm

Warchant wrote:
jswede wrote:
Warchant wrote:Ya no points....he was traded a couple of days before at the deadline when they played Tor...Portland had a great record w Nurkic...they bounce Tor in a playoff series

Well the trade deadline was Feb 23 and they played Tor Feb 26 so your right 2 weeks before :crazy:...lets just pretend the AS game never happened and he played 5-7 games before they played Tor...smh

He was traded on the 12th. 26th-12th = 14 days = 2 weeks

Sorry those facts don't fit your made up claims.

Given he also did not make the all Star game - those 2 weeks are significantly longer as far as practice.
jswede
Sixth Man

Post#76 » by jswede » Sat May 20, 2017 12:02 am

peja_the_legend wrote:As Lebron gets older i expect him to play one game per week from next season on.Cavs only goal will be to finish in top 8..Even as an 8th seed they would have no problem sweeping any other opponent in the East..yep,the op title couldnt be more correct...Regular season is dead,it's just a glorified pre season.

It always was
PizzaSteve
Veteran
And1: 1,837

Post#77 » by PizzaSteve » Sat May 20, 2017 1:15 am

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
PizzaSteve wrote:
MastermindLV wrote:

It only 'makes no sense' to someone who doesn't read. I will try another analogy.

In business competition a company tries to crush their competitors with superior price, service, quality. Does Starbucks care that their global scale, apps, and training of staff is 'unfair' to a mom and pop coffee shop they are putting out of business?

In the short term, the owners dont care what we think. They want to win. The teams are their power toys. Your preferences for fair or good competition mean nothing to them.
TheDavinciCHODE
Sixth Man
And1: 1,858

Post#78 » by TheDavinciCHODE » Sat May 20, 2017 1:18 am

Not really. It's a relatively rare occurrence for there to be

A a potential GOAT
B that goat to be on the best team in the conference
C there being not a single other legit challenger to that team

Teams were doing this earlier and still losing in the playoffs.

If there were any legit challengers in the East, then the cavs wouldn't be able to coast so easily.

When teams are closer, home court, synergy, etc all matter.

But yes, in her real the NBA ref season doesn't matter much compared to other sports

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#79 » by and1GS » Sat May 20, 2017 2:01 am

The4thHorseman wrote:
and1GS wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:
Nah, you guys were up 3-1 on LeBron and things very easily could have gone your way with the bounce of a ball or two. The playing field was already even.

KD joined the warriors because he's a sissy that quit on his team that was right there with 2 other teams on that level playing field.

What would you call what LeBron originally did to Cleveland? Shrewd, winning move?

LeBron didn't leave a 5x All-NBA teammate + 2x scoring champ (Russ) and another 3x All Defense + 2x blocks leader (Serge).

He left Shaq, Jamison, J.J Hickson, Anthony Parker, Delonte West etc....

See the difference??

He did leave a eastern conference champion at the height of his career. IIRC there was a bit of backlash as a result.

Kinda silly to call anyone a 'sissy' though for making a basketball decision.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Warchant
Analyst

Post#80 » by Warchant » Sat May 20, 2017 3:27 am

jswede wrote:
Warchant wrote:
jswede wrote:

He was traded on the 12th. 26th-12th = 14 days = 2 weeks

Sorry those facts don't fit your made up claims.

Given he also did not make the all Star game - those 2 weeks are significantly longer as far as practice.

Ya their practicing during the AS break...lol

Return to The General Board