ImageImageImage

Spo is the man.

Moderators: KingDavid, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside

Mars
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,174

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#41 » by Mars » Fri May 12, 2017 5:03 am

Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:Heat should've won games 2 & 3 easily. Game 7 we let one man beat us & never once trapped Lowry. DeRozan was MIA until the end... He was choking badly & we let Lowry go off & give him confidence late. That should've never happened. Zero in game adjustments... ZERO... That's where a real championship coach comes up big. Our guy sat back & did the same things over & over.

So, your assertion is HEAT should have easily been up 3-0 in the series... got it.
GUTSâ„¢
Big Dee Chi-Born
Sixth Man
And1: 79

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#42 » by Big Dee Chi-Born » Fri May 12, 2017 10:44 am

Mars wrote:
Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:Heat should've won games 2 & 3 easily. Game 7 we let one man beat us & never once trapped Lowry. DeRozan was MIA until the end... He was choking badly & we let Lowry go off & give him confidence late. That should've never happened. Zero in game adjustments... ZERO... That's where a real championship coach comes up big. Our guy sat back & did the same things over & over.

So, your assertion is HEAT should have easily been up 3-0 in the series... got it.

Yup... Both their star players struggled to find their shot with any consistency. And the minute either one, especially Lowry because he's the head of the snake, we should've been trapping & making them passers. We were the better team. That's why Dwyane Wade is no longer in a Heat uniform. That series showed Riley it was time to move on.

Sent from my LGLS990 using RealGM mobile app
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,612

Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#43 » by kyphi » Fri May 12, 2017 1:00 pm

Riley regrets letting Wade go, and that did crack his perfect shell for me. Overall, Riley has been a boon for NBA ball, and he and Spo are getting my thanks and support.
Mars
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by Mars » Fri May 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:
Mars wrote:So, your assertion is HEAT should have easily been up 3-0 in the series... got it.

Yup... Both their star players struggled to find their shot with any consistency. And the minute either one, especially Lowry because he's the head of the snake, we should've been trapping & making them passers. We were the better team. That's why Dwyane Wade is no longer in a Heat uniform. That series showed Riley it was time to move on.

Your recollections regarding the timeline of who contributed what throughout the game, when it occurred and its impact are fuzzier than you realize.

I'll give you time to go back and research the particulars of Lowry, DeRozan and their fellow Raptors productivity in Game 7 before I respond. If required, I'll present a detailed breakdown responding one at a time to each of the points in your posts on this topic.
GUTSâ„¢
dshearn
Sixth Man
And1: 2,942

Post#45 » by dshearn » Sat May 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Spo is not perfect, not in the regular season and not in the playoffs... we get the point.

You can't argue the fact that he improvises well, he adapts to the talent he has, and he develops players.

He is not 100% successful and he can be stubborn, but he is young, dynamic and improving. There is only a handful of coaches on the planet that "might" be better today, and this guy is likely a Heat Lifer.

I'll take the 25 year Spo option
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,773

Post#46 » by contract » Mon May 15, 2017 12:22 pm

kyphi wrote:Riley regrets ...

No, not regret. That other word. The opposite. Yeah, that one.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,788

Post#47 » by Hallstar » Mon May 15, 2017 3:49 pm

Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:
Mars wrote:

Lol, Wade literally played without a frontcourt that series..

How on God's green earth were we the better team?
Big Dee Chi-Born
Sixth Man

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#48 » by Big Dee Chi-Born » Fri May 19, 2017 3:55 am

Mars wrote:
Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:
Mars wrote:So, your assertion is HEAT should have easily been up 3-0 in the series... got it.

Your recollections regarding the timeline of who contributed what throughout the game, when it occurred and its impact are fuzzier than you realize.

I'll give you time to go back and research the particulars of Lowry, DeRozan and their fellow Raptors productivity in Game 7 before I respond. If required, I'll present a detailed breakdown responding one at a time to each of the points in your posts on this topic.

I don't need to research anything. I know for a fact that DeRozan was terrible for much of 1st half and some of the 3rd qtr before he got it going and the game got out of hand. The score was very close at halftime & we should've been blowing them out! We went small & never changed our defensive schemes! When DeMarr was struggling we should've automatically start taking the ball out of Lowery's hands and made the others be playmakers. My memory is just fine.

Big Dee Chi-Born
Sixth Man

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#49 » by Big Dee Chi-Born » Fri May 19, 2017 3:58 am

Hallstar wrote:
Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:

They had Bismack Byombo, while we had Dragic, Wade, Deng & Joe Johnson. They had Lowery & DeRozan taking turns choking. You do the math.

Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,788

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#50 » by Hallstar » Fri May 19, 2017 9:43 am

Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:
Hallstar wrote:
Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:Yup... Both their star players struggled to find their shot with any consistency. And the minute either one, especially Lowry because he's the head of the snake, we should've been trapping & making them passers. We were the better team. That's why Dwyane Wade is no longer in a Heat uniform. That series showed Riley it was time to move on.

They had Bismack Byombo, while we had Dragic, Wade, Deng & Joe Johnson. They had Lowery & DeRozan taking turns choking. You do the math.

And that was enough, Biyombo earned his contract off that series. You do the math. We had NO rebounding or rim protection, two things necessary to close out games defensively.

We didn't need much, Willie Reed probably would have been more than enough, but we needed something.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Big Dee Chi-Born
Sixth Man

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Spo is the man. 

Post#51 » by Big Dee Chi-Born » Fri May 19, 2017 11:43 am

Hallstar wrote:
Big Dee Chi-Born wrote:
Hallstar wrote:Lol, Wade literally played without a frontcourt that series..

And that was enough, Biyombo earned his contract off that series. You do the math. We had NO rebounding or rim protection, two things necessary to close out games defensively.

We didn't need much, Willie Reed probably would have been more than enough, but we needed something.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's funny how players continue to "earn" their checks off us. Roy Hibbert anyone??? Tyson Chandler anyone??? Josh "f'in" McRoberts(who we couldn't use versus Biz)!!! Go figure...

Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,178

Post#52 » by Heat3 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:54 am

Spo is a finalist for NBA Coach of the Year. Congrats to Spo!

I don't think he'll win, but being top 3 is a good accomplishment. The other two finalists are Popovich and Pringles.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

contract
RealGM

Post#53 » by contract » Sat May 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Heat3 wrote:Spo is a finalist for NBA Coach of the Year. Congrats to Spo!

I don't think he'll win, but being top 3 is a good accomplishment. The other two finalists are Popovich and Pringles.

Again I ask ... how the hell is Spo more deserving than Brad Stevens?
Mars
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by Mars » Sat May 20, 2017 5:13 pm

contract wrote:Again I ask ... how the hell is Spo more deserving than Brad Stevens?

The league occasionally holds coaches who guide undermanned or injury ravaged teams that battle through adversity in as high esteem as coaches who lead their teams to higher win totals. Not the first time. Won't be the last.

...Before taking over the Celtics, Rivers spent just over four seasons as the head coach of the Orlando Magic, earning Coach of the Year Honors in his first season for leading a team that featured four undrafted starters to a 41-41 record...

Link

During the same 1999-00 season, Phil took the Lakers from what was essentially a 51 win team the prior year (31 wins in a strike shortened season) to 67 wins in his first year as head coach.

Pacers won 56 games that year in addition to winning their division (which is the closest approximation to Brad Stevens and this year's Celtics). Why wasn't Phil or Bird awarded Coach of the Year in 1999-00?

The reason was, those held with selecting the honor believed Rivers overcame more challenging circumstances and viewed Orlando's "success" in relative terms. No different than Spo being chosen as one of the three finalists over Stevens.
GUTSâ„¢
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,160

Post#55 » by TroubleS0me » Sat May 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Mars wrote:
contract wrote:Again I ask ... how the hell is Spo more deserving than Brad Stevens?

The league occasionally holds coaches who guide undermanned or injury ravaged teams that battle through adversity in as high esteem as coaches who lead their teams to higher win totals. Not the first time. Won't be the last.

...Before taking over the Celtics, Rivers spent just over four seasons as the head coach of the Orlando Magic, earning Coach of the Year Honors in his first season for leading a team that featured four undrafted starters to a 41-41 record...

Link

During the same 1999-00 season, Phil took the Lakers from what was essentially a 51 win team the prior year (31 wins in a strike shortened season) to 67 wins in his first year as head coach.

Pacers won 56 games that year in addition to winning their division (which is the closest approximation to Brad Stevens and this year's Celtics). Why wasn't Phil or Bird awarded Coach of the Year in 1999-00?

The reason was, those held with selecting the honor believed Rivers overcame more challenging circumstances and viewed Orlando's "success" in relative terms. No different than Spo being chosen as one of the three finalists over Stevens.

It still should have been Stevens. Even Synder from the Jazz should have been in the top 3 instead of Pop. Spo should @ least be in the top 5. Good to see him there tho
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#56 » by HIF » Sun May 21, 2017 10:13 am

contract wrote:

We agree on so many things but your long time hatred of Spo is something we used to clash on a lot.

When he retires maybe you'll at last find a nice word for the guy.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
contract
RealGM

Post#57 » by contract » Sun May 21, 2017 11:44 am

HIF wrote:
contract wrote:

We agree on so many things but your long time hatred of Spo is something we used to clash on a lot.

When he earns it. But to get back on point, Boston is a team full of meh. Their "superstar" is a troll doll. They won 53 games and secured the #1 seed. That deserves recognition.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#58 » by HIF » Sun May 21, 2017 1:32 pm

contract wrote:
HIF wrote:

When he earns it. But to get back on point, Boston is a team full of meh. Their "superstar" is a troll doll. They won 53 games and secured the #1 seed. That deserves recognition.

Their meh is a couple of levels better than our meh. :D
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
contract
RealGM

Post#59 » by contract » Sun May 21, 2017 1:34 pm

HIF wrote:
contract wrote:
HIF wrote:

I disagree with that.
shanedude
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,694

Post#60 » by shanedude » Sun May 21, 2017 3:14 pm

contract wrote:
HIF wrote:
contract wrote:When he earns it. But to get back on point, Boston is a team full of meh. Their "superstar" is a troll doll. They won 53 games and secured the #1 seed. That deserves recognition.

I disagree with that.

I also disagree with that. Our Season was ravaged by injuries.
Tyler Gang or Die

Return to Miami Heat