ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread: UFC 231 Holloway vs Ortega finally!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 207 pg 6) 

Post#341 » by j4remi » Sun Jun 4, 2017 2:06 pm

Max been ready for the spotlight, that dude is something special. It took him a round and a half to get used to Aldo's handspeed before he started to really look comfortable but once he did...watch out. Back to back one two's into that knockdown and he spent the last 5 minutes or so right in Aldo's pocket, too close for Aldo to kick comfortably. Just a wicked performance all around. He's a victory over Frankie from clearing the division and I think he'd do well to move up to murderer's row in the lightweight division. Max vs Tony Ferguson or a rematch with McGregor would be amazing.

Aldo had an excuse with the McGregor loss on the flash KO but this one was a fighter taking him on and breaking him down. He's still the cream of the crop, Max has just been criminally underrated during an unbelievable run. I'd like for Aldo to fight a rematch with Cub Swanson, who Aldo knocked out in a Conor fashion with an instant flying knee KO. Cub is on a tear right now and deserves another shot at Aldo.

Gadelha was really impressive but Karolina just made a bad mistake rushing to get to her feet and letting her back get taken. That's an unfortunate choke job but at least it means there's a possible loser vs loser fight between Karate Hottie and Karolina. I have no idea what they do with Claudia, they don't give third chances to fighters that lost twice. They made Miesha wait, Benavidez is still waiting and it seems like Claudia's in the same situation.

Yancy Medeiros is really coming along too. Silva is a wicked striker and Yancy worked through those leg kicks to take dude out.

Prospect watch on Luan Chagas too..his hands are incredible and I hadn't realized he's only 23 years old.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#342 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jun 4, 2017 2:30 pm

waya wrote:
matchman wrote:Wow that is amazing round 3 by Max to win a ground fight, I do not realize until it happens.

However this starts from a knock down with four straight punches in the middle of round 3 and Aldo cannot endure half round being in an inferior position.

So will Max fight Mcgregor next? He is on a 11 win streak now.

Nobody knows when and what sport Conor will be fighting in next time. And he still hasn't defended his LW belt. Frankie is the fight to make for Holloway.

I'm pretty sure a Aldo vs Max rematch will come first unless McGregor comes back before that next fight is announced.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,721

Post#343 » by spree8 » Sun Jun 4, 2017 3:25 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
waya wrote:
matchman wrote:Wow that is amazing round 3 by Max to win a ground fight, I do not realize until it happens.

However this starts from a knock down with four straight punches in the middle of round 3 and Aldo cannot endure half round being in an inferior position.

So will Max fight Mcgregor next? He is on a 11 win streak now.

Nobody knows when and what sport Conor will be fighting in next time. And he still hasn't defended his LW belt. Frankie is the fight to make for Holloway.

I'm pretty sure a Aldo vs Max rematch will come first unless McGregor comes back before that next fight is announced.

Why a rematch? Max beat him decisively. Not sure what the hell is going on with McGregor vs Mayweather at this point since every other week they're close, then not close to making it happen, but if it does, then Max will get 1 more fight I'd think. Didn't watch the post fight presser or interviews so I don't know what Dana said, but Frankie is next in the rankings, so he'd likely be in line.

Edgar's gunna beat Max and Conor :nod: ..bringing that belt to NJ :rock:
GMAT Knicks :king:

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#344 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jun 4, 2017 4:14 pm

spree8 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
waya wrote:Nobody knows when and what sport Conor will be fighting in next time. And he still hasn't defended his LW belt. Frankie is the fight to make for Holloway.

Why a rematch? Max beat him decisively. Not sure what the hell is going on with McGregor vs Mayweather at this point since every other week they're close, then not close to making it happen, but if it does, then Max will get 1 more fight I'd think. Didn't watch the post fight presser or interviews so I don't know what Dana said, but Frankie is next in the rankings, so he'd likely be in line.

Aldo won the first two rounds and got TKO'd in the 3rd so not sure i'd call it decisively.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#345 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jun 4, 2017 4:17 pm

spree8 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
waya wrote:Nobody knows when and what sport Conor will be fighting in next time. And he still hasn't defended his LW belt. Frankie is the fight to make for Holloway.

I'm a huge Frankie fan but it would all come down to if he can hold Max down. I know he can take him down but holding a guy like Max down is another story. Aldo beat Frankie up for 5 rounds in their fight but i can see Frankie having a better fight against a guy like Max then he did against Aldo.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#346 » by j4remi » Sun Jun 4, 2017 6:26 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
Aldo won the first two rounds and got TKO'd in the 3rd so not sure i'd call it decisively.

The second round was close as hell imo. The announcers were selling the hell out of Aldo and the judges weren't gonna give Max any close rounds (see: the Assuncao decision over Moraes), but you could feel Max building momentum as that second round went on. Max was working the body for the early portion of the fight and gave up the first round and a half focusing on defense and body work, but by the end of the second it was a pretty obvious shift in momentum. I don't think Aldo gets a rematch off of that kinda beating; he got stopped and Frankie is fresh off smoking the promotional poster boy. I said it earlier but to reiterate, I think it should go Frankie vs Max for the belt and Aldo vs Cub for next shot at the belt.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#347 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jun 4, 2017 6:27 pm

j4remi wrote:Max been ready for the spotlight, that dude is something special. It took him a round and a half to get used to Aldo's handspeed before he started to really look comfortable but once he did...watch out. Back to back one two's into that knockdown and he spent the last 5 minutes or so right in Aldo's pocket, too close for Aldo to kick comfortably. Just a wicked performance all around. He's a victory over Frankie from clearing the division and I think he'd do well to move up to murderer's row in the lightweight division. Max vs Tony Ferguson or a rematch with McGregor would be amazing.

Aldo had an excuse with the McGregor loss on the flash KO but this one was a fighter taking him on and breaking him down. He's still the cream of the crop, Max has just been criminally underrated during an unbelievable run. I'd like for Aldo to fight a rematch with Cub Swanson, who Aldo knocked out in a Conor fashion with an instant flying knee KO. Cub is on a tear right now and deserves another shot at Aldo.

Gadelha was really impressive but Karolina just made a bad mistake rushing to get to her feet and letting her back get taken. That's an unfortunate choke job but at least it means there's a possible loser vs loser fight between Karate Hottie and Karolina. I have no idea what they do with Claudia, they don't give third chances to fighters that lost twice. They made Miesha wait, Benavidez is still waiting and it seems like Claudia's in the same situation.

Yancy Medeiros is really coming along too. Silva is a wicked striker and Yancy worked through those leg kicks to take dude out.

Prospect watch on Luan Chagas too..his hands are incredible and I hadn't realized he's only 23 years old.

Khabib v. Tony? When's that going to happen. I need to see that fight.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#348 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jun 4, 2017 6:37 pm

j4remi wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

The second round was close as hell imo. The announcers were selling the hell out of Aldo and the judges weren't gonna give Max any close rounds (see: the Assuncao decision over Moraes), but you could feel Max building momentum as that second round went on. Max was working the body for the early portion of the fight and gave up the first round and a half focusing on defense and body work, but by the end of the second it was a pretty obvious shift in momentum. I don't think Aldo gets a rematch off of that kinda beating; he got stopped and Frankie is fresh off smoking the promotional poster boy. I said it earlier but to reiterate, I think it should go Frankie vs Max for the belt and Aldo vs Cub for next shot at the belt.

Aldo clearly won the 1st round and hit Max with a ton of clean hard shots and the 2nd round was the same until maybe the last minute and a half to 2 minutes when Max started getting loose and fighting his game but Aldo still did more than enough to win the 2nd round but Max came out loose in the 3rd round and starting landing hard shots with those two left rights that knocked him down.

That Assuncao vs Moreas fight was very close and definitely could of gone either way and the judge that had it 30-27 is a moron.
spree8
RealGM

Post#349 » by spree8 » Sun Jun 4, 2017 8:34 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
spree8 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Doesn't get more decisive than dropping a dude and beating him down for a few minutes for the stoppage... thought I might've saw Aldo go limp at one point too. First round wasn't anything special... more like a feeling out process. But winning 10-9 in the second round doesn't change the fact he got wrecked.

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
spree8
RealGM

Post#350 » by spree8 » Sun Jun 4, 2017 8:41 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
spree8 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

I'm a huge Frankie fan but it would all come down to if he can hold Max down. I know he can take him down but holding a guy like Max down is another story. Aldo beat Frankie up for 5 rounds in their fight but i can see Frankie having a better fight against a guy like Max then he did against Aldo.

Yea you know MMA math doesn't work... Aldo's jab and counter striking was a problem for Frankie... Max is different. Frankie was able to take and keep down better wrestlers and grapplers than Max. Styles make fights, and yea I think Frankie would do better against Max than he did against Jose too.

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#351 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jun 4, 2017 9:20 pm

spree8 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
spree8 wrote:

Doesn't get more decisive than dropping a dude and beating him down for a few minutes for the stoppage... thought I might've saw Aldo go limp at one point too. First round wasn't anything special... more like a feeling out process. But winning 10-9 in the second round doesn't change the fact he got wrecked.

Aldo was up 2 rounds to 0 going into the 3rd and the 1st round wasn't anything special for Max at all but Aldo hit him with hard clean shots multiple times in that round.
spree8
RealGM

Post#352 » by spree8 » Sun Jun 4, 2017 10:16 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
spree8 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Aldo was up 2 rounds to 0 going into the 3rd and the 1st round wasn't anything special for Max at all but Aldo hit him with hard clean shots multiple times in that round.

Bro it's a fight... you're gunna get hit. The second round Max did damage to Aldo too... but the difference is Aldo got beat the fuq down (almost out and actually might have gone limp IIRC) and finished... that is "decisive" in every sense of the word.

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
Rotten Apple
General Manager
And1: 5,113

Post#353 » by Rotten Apple » Sun Jun 4, 2017 10:22 pm

j4remi wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

End of the 2nd Max realized Aldo couldn't hurt him and he came out in the 3rd going for the kill once he caught the timing of Aldo's punches.

Aldo didn't use any leg kicks either so Max was able to put everything behind his punches.

The KD was beautiful and the finish was awesome.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#354 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jun 4, 2017 11:04 pm

spree8 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
spree8 wrote:

Bro it's a fight... you're gunna get hit. The second round Max did damage to Aldo too... but the difference is Aldo got beat the fuq down (almost out and actually might have gone limp IIRC) and finished... that is "decisive" in every sense of the word.

Bro, i understand it's a fight and i do know people get hit in a fight but the only one doing the hitting in the 1st round and most of the 2nd round was Aldo. You did watch the fight right?? I also train in BJJ and am a blue belt so i understand the fight game and have been watching it since the days of Dan Severn and Don Frye. All i'm saying is that Aldo was winning the fight until he got beat up in the 3rd round and if you don't agree with that then that's cool and we can agree to disagree but if you watched the fight then i can't see how you could disagree.
waya
RealGM
And1: 5,128

Post#355 » by waya » Sun Jun 4, 2017 11:40 pm

spree8 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

If Frankie won the Featherweight belt and retired...that'd be a magical ending to his career. But he doesn't sound like a guy who's almost done, and doesn't look like one either. I just hate seeing legends lose the battle to old age and start racking up beatings. Hope that never happens to him.
spree8
RealGM

Post#356 » by spree8 » Mon Jun 5, 2017 12:13 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
spree8 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Bro, i understand it's a fight and i do know people get hit in a fight but the only one doing the hitting in the 1st round and most of the 2nd round was Aldo. You did watch the fight right?? I also train in BJJ and am a blue belt so i understand the fight game and have been watching it since the days of Dan Severn and Don Frye. All i'm saying is that Aldo was winning the fight until he got beat up in the 3rd round and if you don't agree with that then that's cool and we can agree to disagree but if you watched the fight then i can't see how you could disagree.

Lol dude what are you not getting? You're not the only one who trains in MMA or has watched it since it's inception.... which has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm saying btw. Do you think I'd be saying what I've been about the fight if I didn't watch it? You're not making any sense at all... my point is... "Max beat Aldo decisively"... I don't know what your definition of decisive is, but outpointing someone for a round or two <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< getting your ass handed to you the way Max did Aldo in the 3rd. That is decisive.

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
spree8
RealGM

Post#357 » by spree8 » Mon Jun 5, 2017 12:19 am

waya wrote:
spree8 wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

If Frankie won the Featherweight belt and retired...that'd be a magical ending to his career. But he doesn't sound like a guy who's almost done, and doesn't look like one either. I just hate seeing legends lose the battle to old age and start racking up beatings. Hope that never happens to him.

That'd def be awesome... Frankie's a good guy... met him a few times at my buddy Nick Catone's gym, but I agree he's got too much left in him to hang it up now even tho he doesn't have much more to prove. Def agree that I hope he doesn't become a Chuck, BJ, or Tito type. That'd suck.

Luka Dončić
Jamal Murray
Donte DiVincenzo
RJ Barrett
Joel Embiid
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#358 » by j4remi » Mon Jun 5, 2017 12:25 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
Aldo clearly won the 1st round and hit Max with a ton of clean hard shots and the 2nd round was the same until maybe the last minute and a half to 2 minutes when Max started getting loose and fighting his game but Aldo still did more than enough to win the 2nd round but Max came out loose in the 3rd round and starting landing hard shots with those two left rights that knocked him down.

That Assuncao vs Moreas fight was very close and definitely could of gone either way and the judge that had it 30-27 is a moron.

Aldo clearly won the first for sure but he didn't land a ton of clean shots. He landed two really nice flurries in the midst of an otherwise competitive round. The second round was 29-28 (Aldo landing one more strike) in significant strikes with Holloway throwing more and controlling the center of the octagon. Brian Stann couldn't get off Aldo's jock and way oversold it but Holloway was in Aldo's grill and gained momentum throughout that round. For the fight, Holloway threw more, landed more, had better accuracy, knocked Aldo down, mounted Aldo, took Aldo's back and finished him...Aldo doesn't deserve an immediate rematch.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#359 » by j4remi » Mon Jun 5, 2017 12:42 pm

Rotten Apple wrote:End of the 2nd Max realized Aldo couldn't hurt him and he came out in the 3rd going for the kill once he caught the timing of Aldo's punches.

Aldo didn't use any leg kicks either so Max was able to put everything behind his punches.

The KD was beautiful and the finish was awesome.

Not just that he couldn't be hurt, but Holloway had Aldo's timing down really well. He was standing right in the pocket and even landed a Stockton Slap on Aldo, that close to the second was crazy. No one has ever dismissed Aldo's striking in his face like that and followed it up by knocking the man out.

Here's a crazy stat run: Holloway leads UFC Featherweights in Fights, wins, longest win-streak, KO's, Stoppages, Knockdowns AND Significant strikes...He's only 25 years old!
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#360 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Jun 5, 2017 1:35 pm

j4remi wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Aldo clearly won the first for sure but he didn't land a ton of clean shots. He landed two really nice flurries in the midst of an otherwise competitive round. The second round was 29-28 (Aldo landing one more strike) in significant strikes with Holloway throwing more and controlling the center of the octagon. Brian Stann couldn't get off Aldo's jock and way oversold it but Holloway was in Aldo's grill and gained momentum throughout that round. For the fight, Holloway threw more, landed more, had better accuracy, knocked Aldo down, mounted Aldo, took Aldo's back and finished him...Aldo doesn't deserve an immediate rematch.

Hahaha no Holloway didn't have better accuracy and land more shots through the fight, the 3rd round and the last part of the 2nd round is where all of his shots came from cause the 1st round was all Aldo and he did land a lot of clean hard shots in that 1st round.

After seeing on here how differently people saw that fight i can see how judges get decisions wrong a lot of the times in fights. I judge the fight round by round and it seems some on here judge the fight in a whole. Like you wanna say Holloway landed more and had better accuracy but you're going by the whole fight and i'm going round by round is all.

Holloway won the fight and got better as the fight went on but that 1st round was a bad round for Holloway as was the first 3 minutes of the 2nd round but he started getting loose and throwing his hands up playing the game with Aldo and that's when he started getting comfortable and winning the fight. Holloway has always been a somewhat slow starter as well but he took some hard shots that he absolutely felt which you could see hurt him cause you know when a fighter starts dabbing at his nose or eye after getting hit hard in those spots means it hurt them or at least those shots woke him up.

I'm not looking to go back and forth for days debating how i saw the fight compared to how other fans saw it but like i said, i now see how judges have such different scores of fights sometimes. lol

Return to New York Knicks