Do you consider LeBron James a good role model?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Is LeBron a good role model for kids to look up to

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 266

Prince187
Sixth Man
And1: 1,785

Do you consider LeBron James a good role model? 

Post#1 » by Prince187 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 3:38 pm

LeBron is one of the most widely known role models in the country. And I think he takes that very seriously. But do you think he's a good role model? Would you want your kids looking up to him?

edit: 75% of you think a guy who commits adultery is a good role model. That's extremely sad
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Re: Do you consider LeBron James a good role model? 

Post#2 » by Throwback24 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 3:40 pm

Only stars I look up to are the ones in the sky. I suggest you do the same.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
InsanityKills
Sophomore
And1: 240

Post#3 » by InsanityKills » Fri Jun 9, 2017 3:41 pm

Yes, he's THE greatest role model in the sports world tbh. He's sending kids to college out of his own pocket, he consistently donates to charities, and has never had any off the court issues.
Percentsign
Senior
And1: 652

Post#4 » by Percentsign » Fri Jun 9, 2017 3:44 pm

InsanityKills wrote:Yes, he's THE greatest role model in the sports world tbh. He's sending kids to college out of his own pocket, he consistently donates to charities, and has never had any off the court issues.

But his body is covered in tattoos
Big Mac Biyombo
Analyst
And1: 8,068

Post#5 » by Big Mac Biyombo » Fri Jun 9, 2017 3:46 pm

I don't think any celebrity should be looked at as a role model. It's just not a life kids in the real world can relate to in any way.
Raptorstopfan wrote:Demar is inarguably the best jump shooter NBA has seen in a long long time.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#6 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Jun 9, 2017 3:47 pm

Celebrities and athletes should never be anyone's role models, but if you had to pick one, you could do a lot worse than LeBron. He's the model teammate, he plays the game the right way, he's never been in trouble off the court, he's an incredibly charitable man who cares about his community. The worst you can say about him is that he was arrogant in his younger years, but he's grown up and matured in the public eye since then.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,238

Post#7 » by Papi_swav » Fri Jun 9, 2017 3:48 pm

As much as I can't stand LeBron for basketball reasons, you never hear him caught up in any bad stories on or off the court.. he does help his community, his teammates and he's paid for students to get free tuition to college... I must admit he is a great role model as the face of the NBA. For all the hate and criticism he recieves, I'm surprised he never lashed out at any point.
Prince187
Sixth Man
And1: 1,785

Post#8 » by Prince187 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:03 pm

I don't know what you guys are talking about it. He's a terrible role model. I can't believe how low our standards have sunk. Not committing crimes or donating some money to charity when you make 85 million a year and can write it off as a tax deduction doesn't make a you good role model. It's setting a good example that people can follow. LeBron does a piss poor job at that.

You want your kids thinking that the Decision is something they should emulate? Or abandoning his teammates in Miami when the road got too rough. Throwing his teammates under the bus regularly, constantly complaining and whining to the refs and making gestures on the court, coming off arrogant and self centered in interviews, the stories of him treating restaurant workers and low level of NBA workers with disrespect,not listening to coaches, hitting on women when he's married, taking games off and then going out to the club, not trying on defense,etc

How could anyone possibly think someone like that is a good role model for children to look up to and try to behave like.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#9 » by mtron929 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:12 pm

I kind of feel like people should have higher standards when it comes to role models. I mean, I get that Lebron James is not a bad guy and all, but in choosing role models, we pretty much have anyone in the world (dead or alive) that we can chose from. And surely, we can do better than Lebron James. IN choosing Lebron James as a role model, you can become someone who is no where nearly the star or an icon that Lebron is but adopt his attitude. Is this the paragon of excellence? Again, he is not a bad guy but you can do better when it comes to choosing a role model that you want to emulate.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#10 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:13 pm

other than the Miami fiasco,

he's been a pretty good NBA citizen. no scandals, loves his wife and kids, charitable work in Cleveland - when its been a **** hole for the decade.

for the amount of flak he gets for leaving Cleveland and Miami - as a self made man - he wrote his own story and didn't leave it to the hands of some GM who would dictate his path. He's been good wherever he goes, both on and off the court. That's pretty surprising considering he had a spot light on him since he was 16 years old and didn't let the path to stardom get him to spiral down.

He's a good businessman and he knows the value of his own brand.

Of course there are some kinks in his armour but he's done more good than bad.

The Prince187 guy above is just a hater and really despises Lebron with the way he speaks about him. so much anger and pretty much a tunnel vision of hate.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
tocooks101
Senior
And1: 429

Post#11 » by tocooks101 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:14 pm

Prince187 wrote:I don't know what you guys are talking about it. He's a terrible role model. I can't believe how low our standards have sunk. Not committing crimes or donating some money to charity when you make 85 million a year and can write it off as a tax deduction doesn't make a you good role model. It's setting a good example that people can follow. LeBron does a piss poor job at that.

You want your kids thinking that the Decision is something they should emulate? Or abandoning his teammates in Miami when the rode got too tough. Throwing his teammates under the bus regularly, constantly complaining and whining to the refs and making gestures on the court, coming off arrogant and self centered in interviews, the stories of him treating restaurant workers and low level of NBA workers with disrespect,not listening to coaches, hitting on women when he's married, taking games off and then going out to the club, not trying on defense,etc

How could anyone possibly think someone like that is a good role model for children to look up to and try to behave like.

Name one player in lebrons class that is a better role model. Calling the guy out for taking games off or leaving for another team when he is a FREE AGENT when you got PG paying strippers 1mill to abort their child, THEN getting her pregnant again? GTFO man.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,338

Post#12 » by Patches Perry » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:14 pm

One of the better "ambassadors" the league has had. I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't expect great athletes to be role models, but that doesn't mean they can't embrace that role if it fits them. LeBron had a weird upbringing in that I'm pretty sure he never had time to process his superstar status. ESPN was televising his high school games and telling him he was the "chosen one" before he was a legal adult. This led to definite growing pains for him personally. He had some spotty moments, but he never veered too far off the track and I think in the last 3-4 years has really become a great representative for the league. He seems to win and lose graciously, competes incredibly hard, empowers his teammates, and off the court is very charitable and caring about his community.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,294

Post#13 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:15 pm

I've always felt he's been a tremendous role model. Whether or not you SHOULD look up to athletes/celebrities, the fact is that so many people do, and Lebron has been an unbelievable role model for children that have aspirations of becoming an athlete in any sport.
mtron929
Head Coach

Post#14 » by mtron929 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:17 pm

To be honest, I think in general, it is a bad idea to have celebrities or sports stars as role models. Mind as well, choose a next door neighbor who was super hard working and went on to an Ivy league school as a role model as opposed to genetic freaks who you can never hope to emulate.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,713

Post#15 » by HotRocks34 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:18 pm

As an athlete and celebrity, I think he's a great role model.

No incidents with police.

Does a number of things for the community.

Has created a set of businesses to help employ and empower his friends.

The guy isn't perfect, but he's lived a pretty clean life and has accomplished a great deal.

Good for him.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
DubTheVanDamage
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,182

Post#16 » by DubTheVanDamage » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:19 pm

InsanityKills wrote:Yes, he's THE greatest role model in the sports world tbh. He's sending kids to college out of his own pocket, he consistently donates to charities, and has never had any off the court issues.

He's not the only athlete to give back to the community nor is he the only one who hasn't had off court issues. It's nice that he donates 1% of his income (or whatever tiny number it is) but let's not pretend that he's a doctor who has chosen to work for MSF.

James also lives in 30k square foot house, which is ridiculously wasteful and disgusting, ostentatious consumption.

The world has countless people who are worse than LeBron James but plenty who are much better people as well.
“I pretty much played the last three games with a broken hand,” James said as he sat there with a softcast on the right hand.
mtron929
Head Coach

Post#17 » by mtron929 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:21 pm

DubTheVanDamage wrote:

He's not the only athlete to give back to the community nor is he the only one who hasn't had off court issues. It's nice that he donates 1% of his income (or whatever tiny number it is) but let's not pretend that he's a doctor who has chosen to work for MSF.

James also lives in 30k square foot house, which is ridiculously wasteful and disgusting, ostentatious consumption.

The world has countless people who are worse than LeBron James but plenty who are much better people as well.

Exactly. I would rather want my kid looking up to some neighbor that volunteers as much as he/she can and always tries to help out others as a role model than some athlete or a celebrity.
capwolf
Bench Warmer
And1: 216

Post#18 » by capwolf » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:28 pm

Leader, married high school sweetheart and mother of his children, selfless teammate,donates liberally to underprivileged,represented country in Olmpics,universally liked around the league,never been in trouble off the court,made high school best friends the lynchpins of his businesses,supremely dedicated to his hometown, returned to Cleveland even though Owner publicly disrespected him,because he wanted to help the city.best player of his generation,multiple time NBA Champion and Allstar.

If that's not a role model, then there are none.
Madgrinch knows more about basketball than me......
F'ing sig bets smh.......
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#19 » by LeMasta » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:32 pm

He's a good role model, but I think good people that you know personally would probably make better role models especially since they are likely to be much more relatable and not own like 3 mansions across the country along with so many other luxuries and even privileges.
yesh
Rookie
And1: 1,864

Post#20 » by yesh » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:34 pm

Depends whether or not you're prepared to extol the virtues of HGH's.

Return to The General Board