Do you consider LeBron James a good role model?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Is LeBron a good role model for kids to look up to

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 266

Kirito
Senior
And1: 223

Re: Do you consider LeBron James a good role model? 

Post#101 » by Kirito » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:46 pm

Starboy wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
Starboy wrote:
I didn't know you had to be poor to have a role model AND that you had to have been poor to be a role model :roll:

Steph is an amazing role model. One of the few athletes who is completely devoted to his family, never had any sketchy incidents, is amazing with fans, respectful to opponents etc. How he got to be the person that he is currently is none of that teacher's concern. If you want a speaker who "made it" after growing up in a rough neighborhood, say that and move on. This is a bull article and its kind of sad that this is the person who's supposed to teach and inspire all these poor kids day to day.

I don't disagree that Steph is a good role model, but I'm curious about the bolded - what do you notice about him that he is respectful to his opponents? I'm not saying he isn't, just curious what makes you say that he is.

I'm guessing you are referring to his showboaty manner of play. I don't think thats disrespectful but I can see how it could be annoying if you aren't a warriors fan/player.

But I'm talking about being a fair competitor. He never gives excuses, always shakes hands and congratulates opponents (one of the few who stayed after game 7 last year to shake Cavs players hands), etc.

Are you talking about this Lebron

"It's hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them," he said. "I'm a winner. It's not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you're not going to congratulate them. That doesn't make sense to me. I'm a competitor. That's what I do. It doesn't make sense for me to go over and shake somebody's hand."

http://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4219933

You mean the same guy when asked about the way GSW vs his Cav team is going he said he is fine look at my stats *ie* blaming everyone but himself
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,061

Post#102 » by Hoopz Afrik » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:55 pm

MC3 wrote:Do you mean I consider a guy who never attended college or has higher degree of education a good role model for kids? No.

You are vastly overrating higher education. A degree doesn't make you a good or even a decent role model.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Guest202
Sixth Man
And1: 1,245

Post#103 » by Guest202 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:57 pm

capwolf wrote:Leader, married high school sweetheart and mother of his children...

People in Cleveland and Miami swear up and down he has babies out of wedlock and has paid off the women to keep it hush.
Guest202
Sixth Man
And1: 1,245

Post#104 » by Guest202 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 11:11 pm

MC3 wrote:Do you mean I consider a guy who never attended college or has higher degree of education a good role model for kids? No.

I know people are torching you for this -- and maybe it was sarcastic -- but it's TRUE. For every 1 Akron kid LeBron gets into college or whatever, there are 1,000+ inner city kids around the country that think they're the next NBA superstar, that school-reading-learning is a waste of time because LeBron didn't need it.
Icandoallthings
Senior
And1: 337

Post#105 » by Icandoallthings » Fri Jun 9, 2017 11:33 pm

Lebron is a good person in my eyes but not a good role model just because he is so unique and talented. It's probably just semantics but I don't believe that nba players should ever be viewed as role models since they tend to be the exception to the rules.
Tai
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,240

Post#106 » by Tai » Fri Jun 9, 2017 11:39 pm

DubTheVanDamage wrote:
First, a straw man is 'an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument'.

For example, if you said that LeBron was a very good role model and I said, "A society where sports stars are viewed as role models will result in students never learning to become doctors or teachers," would be a straw man. Saying that other athletes donate to charity is a 'mitigant' -- I'm assuaging the credit LeBron gets by pointing out that he's not unique in this regard.

So, just for clarification, assuaging Lebrons donations makes him less of a role model? If anything, the other athletes who's donations we're comparing to Lebron may very well also role models. Not to say of course that charity is the end all be all of being a role model, but saying "well Lebron's not the only one who donates" defeats the argument that "Lebron is a good role model" how? Not to mention other examples posted of Lebron's charity which most athletes may not necessarily match, and is definitely outside of "NBA Cares". It feels like you wanted to take a dig without really answering the original question; perhaps in fairness that doesn't necessarily make it a straw man, but I don't see what was gained by going here. Which leads to this:

Second, I never argued that the man couldn't afford a 30k square foot house because obviously he has. My point is that is vastly more space than a family needs and it's completely unnecessary -- it's a massive waste to build, maintain, heat and cool a palace like that. 'Don't use more than you need,' shouldn't be a difficult concept to understand.

I do believe I used the word "superfluous", which I had assumed meant in finance as well as use of space. Again, I'm not sure what you're trying to double down on. I don't know much about Lebron's personal life (definitely not more than a Cavs fan anyway), but relatives I have that don't have a house nearly as big as Lebron's love to host guests, whether it's family like me or for parties.I'd assume Lebron is doing something similar, especially on a large scale. If he's not doing anything close, then yea, maybe I'd agree he doesn't need a house that big. But again, that's the beef? "WELL OMG WHO NEEDS A HOUSE THAT BIG???" That alone doesn't constitute "superfluous", that's just applying sensibilities and trying to pass it off as an argument. Some people invest in houses, other in cars, at least a house as an asset doesn't depreciate as fast. It just feels nitpicky to use this and say "see he's not a role model".

Third, while I appreciate your Googling specifics of LeBron's charitable contributions (and I'm sincere -- I do appreciate you putting the effort to find out facts rather than resorting to unsubstantiated generalities), saying that LeBron's foundation plans to do something that will total $40m over it's lifetime doesn't prove that LeBron is spending more than 1% of his income on charity.

a) Maverick Carter has claimed that LeBron's contract with Nike is >$1b. James' lifetime NBA earnings could be >$300m. He'll earn hundreds of millions in other endorsements, business deals, investments, etc. Even after tax, LeBron will probably end up with lifetime earnings of well over one billion
b) Just because it's LeBron's foundation doesn't mean that he's the only contributor. Nike, for example, may donate. Friends may donate -- we don't know what % LeBron will contribute

Given that, did I undershoot with 1%? Almost certainly, so I'll retract that statement. Based on what you posted, my guess is he's closer to 5%. But given LeBron's public desire to own an NBA team, it's clear that he's intent on amassing a fortune, not donating one.

None of this is a bad thing -- this isn't meant as a criticism -- my only point was there are many more people who give back in larger ways, let's celebrate them more. It's funny that people are getting so upset that I said a MSF doctor was more admirable than LeBron James. Should I take I retract that statement, too?

I only wanted to point out what I found through looking at one page of google. I think we can both agree that Lebron donates much more than that, and especially much more than $862,000 a year. Everything else I can only shrug at; I mean, of course it's not only him putting money at his foundation, and we can squabble over how much his Nike contract is actually worth. I mean, if it's really for the entirety of Lebron's life, I don't see how 1 billion is that farfetched, especially depending on how his Nike brand really is once he retires (does he win more titles, get more reg season MVPs, stay out of trouble/bad PR etc?)

I find the line "intent on amassing a fortune, not donating one" strange; you definitely can't give away what you don't have. Even if he wouldn't donate a fortune, him amassing it (especially through owning an actual NBA team) means he'd still be able to give away much more than he is now. As I said, I'm an aspiring accountant and can tell you there's only so much you can give away in your lifetime (though a pretty high amount) without heavy estate taxes regardless, and I'm sure Lebron's aware of that.
smartyz456 wrote:oh i am a laker fan for life

i'm just gonna be a warrior fan until lebron leaves the lakers

true laker fans don't root for lebron

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1728641
Starboy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#107 » by Starboy » Fri Jun 9, 2017 11:44 pm

Kirito wrote:
Starboy wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:

I don't disagree that Steph is a good role model, but I'm curious about the bolded - what do you notice about him that he is respectful to his opponents? I'm not saying he isn't, just curious what makes you say that he is.

I'm guessing you are referring to his showboaty manner of play. I don't think thats disrespectful but I can see how it could be annoying if you aren't a warriors fan/player.

But I'm talking about being a fair competitor. He never gives excuses, always shakes hands and congratulates opponents (one of the few who stayed after game 7 last year to shake Cavs players hands), etc.

Are you talking about this Lebron

"It's hard for me to congratulate somebody after you just lose to them," he said. "I'm a winner. It's not being a poor sport or anything like that. If somebody beats you up, you're not going to congratulate them. That doesn't make sense to me. I'm a competitor. That's what I do. It doesn't make sense for me to go over and shake somebody's hand."

http://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/2009/news/story?id=4219933

You mean the same guy when asked about the way GSW vs his Cav team is going he said he is fine look at my stats *ie* blaming everyone but himself

I'm talking about Steph. Look at the comment I quoted :D
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#108 » by Spens1 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:55 am

about 50-50, he certainly does some things right (his contributions outside of basketball are really something else, the work he's done in his hometown and around Cleveland especially) but then theirs plenty of things he does wrong (general pettiness, petulance when things don't go his way, looking for an easy way out etc).

At the end of the day he is only human after all and i think theirs probably an over reliance and expectation for sports stars to be some shining light of society and to be held up on some pedestal, its dumb.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#109 » by Dupp » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:30 am

Z Cabarkapa wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:
Z Cabarkapa wrote:
Good for you.

Who hurt you?

Snide responses inspire snide responses, inspire snide responses, inspire snide responses...

And most of us probably dont "look up to" these guys but kids do. kinda missing the point.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#110 » by King of Canada » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:58 am

Starboy wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
Starboy wrote:
I didn't know you had to be poor to have a role model AND that you had to have been poor to be a role model :roll:

Steph is an amazing role model. One of the few athletes who is completely devoted to his family, never had any sketchy incidents, is amazing with fans, respectful to opponents etc. How he got to be the person that he is currently is none of that teacher's concern. If you want a speaker who "made it" after growing up in a rough neighborhood, say that and move on. This is a bull article and its kind of sad that this is the person who's supposed to teach and inspire all these poor kids day to day.

Curry is a great role model as far as pro athletes go. Appears on the surface to be a good husband and dad, and a good sportsman and hard worker.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,492

Post#111 » by Kupchak9 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:13 am

OdomFan wrote:People like him and James Harden are the last players I'd look up to If I were a kid watching the NBA today.

You don't find that ironic, considering you essentially are promoting Lamar Odom?
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,584

Post#112 » by OdomFan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:14 am

Kupchak9 wrote:
OdomFan wrote:People like him and James Harden are the last players I'd look up to If I were a kid watching the NBA today.

You don't find that ironic, considering you essentially are promoting Lamar Odom?

Odom was one of my favorite players not my role model. Nice try.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,584

Post#113 » by OdomFan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:16 am

people can't accept that their hero isn't liked by everyone. smh
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,894

Post#114 » by lakerz12 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:18 am

No, way too into himself.
Fadeaway_Jumper
Rookie
And1: 2,752

Post#115 » by Fadeaway_Jumper » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:21 am

Yes Lebron with at the top, bball is just as popular as ever. He is probably one the cleanest stars too with no real scandals.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,739

Post#116 » by Prez » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:23 am

Most upper tier all time greats except rare exceptions like Tim Duncan have some level of douchiness to them. Just based off all the stories over the years LeBron is no exception. But even that is kinda understandable, dude has been under the spotlight since forever. I'm positive the majority of this board would be even bigger douches if they happened to be a generational athlete with fame and praise being thrown at them since their mid teens. He's handled it pretty damn well all things considered.

Outside of that there's no doubt the guy has carried himself about as well as you could ask for from a megastar. Zero off court troubles, extremely charitable, responsible with his money, insanely driven and hard working, and just from what we see he looks like a good father too.
Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,492

Post#117 » by Kupchak9 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:25 am

OdomFan wrote:
Kupchak9 wrote:

Odom was one of my favorite players not my role model. Nice try.

That's the irony of it. You think Lebron's character should be looked down upon, but you're all for supporting Odom, who's off-court issues are just exponentially worse. Do you disagree that Odom would be one of the worst role-models for kids?
2klegend
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#118 » by 2klegend » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:51 am

Out of all the current superstar, you would have to say yes.
My Top 100+ GOAT (Peak, Prime, Longevity, Award):
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1464952
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#119 » by KuruptedCav » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:14 am

Big Mac Biyombo wrote:I don't think any celebrity should be looked at as a role model. It's just not a life kids in the real world can relate to in any way.

He's a role model to me the same way Andrew Carnegie was. When you make it, you give it back through philanthropy.

He opened a public school in Akron for at risk kids. It is inspirational and aspirational.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#120 » by CobraCommander » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:53 am

Guy born to a single mother from the hood that took his physical gifts and maximized them while people all around him get in trouble with the law or struggle with substance abuse....while he is socially active about real world issues, raising his kids actively and building a thriving off the court business...
I'm too old for role models...but who wouldn't want thier spawn to follow in his foot steps?

I don't like 'lebron' cause I'm a wiz fan... but name a better role model in sports? For kids...

Return to The General Board