Kyrie needs to be in the top 5 player discussion...Celtics record 10-2 Cavs 5-6..MVP year

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Re: Kyrie needs to be in the top 5 player discussion...'17 Finals Game 4: 40 points, 55% FG 

Post#161 » by homecourtloss » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:25 pm

First of all, the OP's agenda is laughably transparent. :lol:

Secondly, people rightly criticize Kyrie because although he is an all time type of offensive savant at times, he does not consistently help his team score more points than his opponents which is the goal of basketball--out scoring the opponent. There are lots of reasons for this.

His defense is atrocious, especially team defense.

When he's not scoring, he's a negative onncourt because he cannot defend, does not rebound, does not make plays.

In the three years since LeBron came back, Kyrie has played 1,234 minutes and 2,427 possessions with James off the court in the regular and postseason.

Cavs have an ORATING of 107.2 and a DRATING of 111.3 This means that when Kyrie is on and LeBron is off the court, the Cavs are being outscored by 4.1 points every 100 possessions. That's basically what a top 6 lottery team would produce.

Meanwhile, LeBron has played 2,611 minutes and 5,060 possessions with Kyrie off the court in the regular and postseason.

Cavs have an ORATING of 113.9 and a DRATING of 103.2 This means that when LeBron is on and Kyrie is off the court, the Cavs outscore opponents by 10.7 points every 100 possessions. That's basically what a top 6 team of ALL TIME would produce.

Same teammates, same everything, but Kyrie can't lead his team to score more points than his opponents because he is limited as a player and even his incredible offensive talent is inconsistent.

As for comparing him to Paul or Curry, it's really not even close to being close. Curry outsocres the opposition even when Durant and Green and Klay are off the court. Paul outscores opponents when Griffin and Jordan are off the court. Kyrie does not and never has and I'm not sure he ever will.

IF he consistently does, then he gets in that top whatever conversation. Until then, he's not there.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Re: Kyrie needs to be in the top 5 player discussion...'17 Finals Game 4: 40 points, 55% FG 

Post#162 » by Antinomy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:18 pm

9 pages. What in tarnation? This thread deserves to be locked.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,472

Post#163 » by Pelly24 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:43 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Ive seen other people say hes inconsistent. Can you explain this. Because all the numbers point to him being a pretty consistent player. Last year in the playoffs he averaged 25/3/4 on 47% shooting. This year in the playoffs hes averaging 25/3/5 on 47% shooting. In the regular season this year 25/3/6 on 47% shooting. Last year in the finals he averaged 27/4/4 on 47% shooting, this year in the finals hes averaging 30/4/4 on 48% shooting. This year in the playoffs he has scored at least 20 points in 13 of their 17 games, so its not like its just nothing but 30+ games or games in the teens and thats how hes averaging 25 ppg, the majority of his game he is scoring in the mid to high 20s.

Looking at all his averages, it appears that he is actually a very consistent player, hes going to give you around 25/4/4 on 47% shooting. Then in the finals he bumps the 25 to 27-30 on the same if not slightly better efficiency. But it seems like so many people dislike him and add on the fact he plays on the Cavs, people seem to really focus on the bad games he has and that makes it seem like he has more bad games and is more inconsistent than he really is.

I don't dislike him, I really love his game, actually, and I love players like him who work people with their dribble (not that that's his only move).

Honestly, watching these past 2 games, it's clear that he can put up all-time great scoring nights for a guard. But take a look at this:

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/6442/kyrie-irving

He has as many 40 point games as 30 point games (with the vast majority of his games being 20 point games, and with the occasional game under 20 points). It's that spread which I find perplexing.

But his gamelog basically backs up my point though. The most games in a month that he didnt score at least 20 points was 3 times and a total of 12 games all year. Then look at say Steph, he had a month where 8 games he didnt score at least 20 points in a game and another month where he had 5 games he didnt score at least 20 points in a game and a total of 13 all year. Damian Lillard had a month where he had 5 games and another month where he had 4 games where he didnt score at least 20 points and a total of 16 games all year.

So again when comparing him to the other elite scoring guards in the game, hes pretty consistent. You can count on him to give you at least 20 in a game as much as any other guard really. Im not trying to say hes consistent at dropping 35-40, but no one is. Hes pretty damn consistent to give you mid to high 20 point games and for every bad game he has, you know hes going to at least equal it with a phenomenal game. No one is dropping 35-40 consistantly unless they have Westbrook's USG%

Yeah, but the only getting 13 games of 30+ or more is perplexing to me. I think people analysts think Kyrie would have to average 30 a game on 30% Usage at his same 58 TS% or better to offset his bad defense. If he scored at the rate of IT2, he'd no doubt be considerd a superstar because he can, at times, be at least a marginally decent--even good, defender
Slade3
Sixth Man
And1: 805

Post#164 » by Slade3 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:03 pm

RingsDontLie wrote:
Slade3 wrote:
RingsDontLie wrote:
Well at least you didn't deny he outplayed LBJ in a critical elimination game.

You must be one of those people who think scoring is everything. I'll take 31, 10, 11 and (+-) + 32 over 40, 7, 4 and (+-) +7 any day.

Yes I know LBJ fans rather have the stats than the W. Stats without context. Kyrie was the driving force of that team in game 4. Great example of why advanced stats are flawed.

Sometimes you need volume scoring to win. There is a reason why you use machine guns in war. Not for bogus stats. Suppressive fire right? A team can't advance without the big gun. Exactly what Kyrie was last night. He overwhelmed Klay and Curry offensively who in turn became non factors offensively. I'd go as far as saying he demoralized Klay and their whole back court. You think GSW felt great about not stopping this short kid that was taking it to the cup scoring every which way possible?

You are so caught up in stats for some reason you lose sight of the dude that demoralized GSW at the onset of the game which led to the team victory. Like I said, Bron fans prefer stats over a win.

First of all, I'm a Raptors fan and have no love for LeBron. Second, you can ignore stats all you like but it's facts wether you like it or not. Kyrie played amazing but to say Kyrie outplayed Lebron when both stats and the eye test say otherwise is just hate. If you don't like it, deal with it!
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#165 » by improper » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:25 pm

G35 wrote:Well that is true. Wasn't it CP3 saying a few years ago that PG's around the league were mad that they couldn't go back at Curry because the Warriors always put Klay on them. This is nothing new...and I don't see why it is a problem.

As far as this current era of basketball, there is no, "You check your man only".....that died out a while ago. James Harden is the king of hiding on defense and he is probably going to be MVP. The current NBA is all about gaining a mismatch; identify the other teams weak defenders put them into a pick and roll, where they can then be isolated.

So even though Curry hides out on defense (or really any defender) it is not like the Cavaliers have not put him in the blender as well, I can recall several times Curry getting switched onto Lebron and Lebron getting easy baskets. In the playoffs teams are going to try and find every edge they can. You can get away with hiding weak defenders more in the RS.......

My only point was that calling Curry a plus defender because stats back it up is absurd. He's not a good defender. At all. Any time he has to guard anyone with any dribbling ability, they can burn by him with ease. He pads his stats by guarding the other team's worst offensive player and gambling constantly. That's all I was saying.

I don't personally have any problem with Golden State hiding him on the other team's worst player. I just think that using stats to call him a plus defender when he is so clearly not is disingenuous. The eye test would tell anyone that Curry is an awful defender. He just has the benefit of never having to guard anyone legitimate and having a couple of elite wing defenders to cover for him when he makes mistakes.

But the fact that Klay has a negative DRPM and Curry has a positive should tell you that the stat isn't perfect. Klay is light years better as a defender, and unlike Curry he actually takes on tough assignments night in and night out.
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#166 » by SactoKingsFan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:32 pm

Kyrie's not even close to being in top 10 discussion. Just not consistent enough and has too many deficiencies in his game. The LeBron effect on Kyrie is real. With LeBron running the offense Kyrie mostly just has to focus on scoring and being a secondary ball handler/playmaker.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#167 » by richboy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:39 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:
richboy wrote:Kyrie in GS motion offense would be a MVP candidate level player.

In all of the multiverse that exists, there is not a single universe within in it in which Kyrie could be a 31+ PER, .300 WS48 player like Curry was in the 2015-16 regular season.

Kyrie isn't capable of that, and probably never will be. No matter what system you put him in, who the coach is, who his teamates are, anything.

Kyrie is great at what he does. And he is slowly starting to expand his game. But he can only do what he does. That's the only way he can play, at least at this point in his career.

Kyrie is great at what he does. He does everything better than Curry except shoot and perhaps pass. Please point to the post that you said Curry could have a 31 PER. Find me the person who thought Nash would win back to back MVP after barely being all-star in previous years. System matters and it shouldn't be ignored.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
richboy
RealGM

Post#168 » by richboy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:03 pm

SFrush wrote:
richboy wrote:
SFrush wrote:
You really believe this nonsense? Curry had a great series in the first round upset over Denver in 2013 and he played well in the second round against the Spurs in a tough 6 games series. The following year Curry played well on a team that nearly upset the Clippers in a tough 7 game series. That all happened in Mark Jackson's Iso offense.

None of it was close to what Kyrie has done this year and last year.

It's hardly a similar situation considering Kyrie has never led a team to the playoffs or been in the playoffs without Lebron but that's besides the point. You made it sound like Steph would be completely irrelevant if he was playing Iso ball for the Cavs. I just don't understand how you came to that conclusion.

No situation is similar but what we do and know is skill set. Which is why these Curry vs Kyrie debates become well what did Kyrie do before Lebron. Because skill for skill they are not close. Kyrie is just a better overall talent. What I suppose to feel since Kyrie didn't take the Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett that some kind of indictment on him. Yet the best player in the world ran to go play with him. If not for an injury I'm completely convinced that just Kyrie and Lebron could beat the Warriors 2 years ago.

All I'm looking at is the skills between the two. Curry is a better shooter but Kyrie is great as well. Curry is better off the ball but Kyrie has improved so much in that and he is playing in a ISO offense. What if he played in a system that utilized his shooting and movement off the ball and let him do work on the bounce. Could he do what Curry did last year. Probably not but I don't think Curry could do what he did last year again. Take away last year I think Kyrie can do just as well if not better than the other 2 Curry Kerr seasons.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,895

Post#169 » by GrandTheftRondo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:08 am

improper wrote:
gino_giode wrote:#4--You end your weird rebuttal with "Curry is averaging....And Steph is a good defender".... :crazy: You're just throwing out garbage points now.

If you're so confident about Curry's defense, I'm sure you'd welcome him defending Kyrie then considering Klay has let him average 39 points the last 2 games :nod:

People kind of ignore that Curry's defensive stats get padded because he gets to guard the other team's worst offensive player every single night while Thompson, Durant, and Green take on the actual challenging assignments. It's why Thompson has a worse DRPM than Curry despite being worlds better as a defender. He actually has to guard great players every night while Curry guards guys who can't dribble and gets to gamble constantly knowing his team will cover for him if he screws up.

Just look at who guards who in the Finals. The Warriors want no part of Curry on Irving and try to keep him as far away from Irving as possible, but Irving guards Curry damn near every possession.

No he doesn't. You Cavs fans are blind. The Cavs throw their entire team at Curry to stop him from scoring. This is clear for everyone to see except blind Cavs fans who want to prop up Irving.

Why do you think Durant is having such an easy time scoring in this series? The defence isn't near as focused on him as they are on Curry due to Curry's absurd shooting.

Also anyone who thinks Irving is outplaying Curry in this series is hilarious. Watch the **** games instead of looking at point totals.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#170 » by GrandTheftRondo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:16 am

richboy wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:

In all of the multiverse that exists, there is not a single universe within in it in which Kyrie could be a 31+ PER, .300 WS48 player like Curry was in the 2015-16 regular season.

Kyrie isn't capable of that, and probably never will be. No matter what system you put him in, who the coach is, who his teamates are, anything.

Kyrie is great at what he does. And he is slowly starting to expand his game. But he can only do what he does. That's the only way he can play, at least at this point in his career.

Kyrie is great at what he does. He does everything better than Curry except shoot and perhaps pass. Please point to the post that you said Curry could have a 31 PER. Find me the person who thought Nash would win back to back MVP after barely being all-star in previous years. System matters and it shouldn't be ignored.

Lmao you're hilarious.

It's as though you don't even watch basketball.

Curry is a much better scorer, passer, rebounder, defender.

Put Curry on LeBron's team and the NBA wouldn't be fair.

Hilarious that you think a guy with half the shooting ability of Curry, an inability to play off the ball like Curry and create like Curry would fit into their motion system.

You have no idea what you are talking about.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#171 » by LakerLegend » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:17 am

If Kyrie wasn't playing with LeBron on a contender he'd be called the same thing Marbury and Francis were, a talented ballhog who can't make his teammates better.

That's not to take away from his 1 on 1 scoring skills but it is what it is..
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#172 » by GrandTheftRondo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:21 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:If Kyrie wasn't playing with LeBron on a contender he'd be called the same thing Marbury and Francis were, a talented ballhog who can't make his teammates better.

That's not to take away from his 1 on 1 scoring skills but it is what it is..

Exactly. LeBron's gravity is what allows Kyrie the opportunities to go 1 on 1.

Kyrie is a talented 1 on 1 scorer. He does nothing else at a high level.

Take LeBron out of this series and things look real nasty for the Cavs offence.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#173 » by homecourtloss » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:35 am

HotRocks34 wrote:

Great way to put it. I would venture to say that very few players ever will be able to do what Curry did in 2016. And that PER was at 32+ until the last 5-6 games brought him down and that ws/48 was near .330 which is downright absurd.

If Kyrie is ever a ws/48 of say .220 or better and LeBron can play at 90% of what he is now, they can compete for titles I tot the future. I don't see Irving even being a ws/48 of .220 guy, though.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#174 » by Baski » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:48 pm

RCM88x wrote:Honestly, I'm not even sure if he's not the greatest player in game.

Of all time you mean
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#175 » by Baski » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Where was this thread when he was playing like ass against the Pacers and Raptors?
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#176 » by SFrush » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:21 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
richboy wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:

Lmao you're hilarious.

Hilarious that you think a guy with half the shooting ability of Curry, an inability to play off the ball like Curry and create like Curry would fit into their motion system.

Especially in the East. I'm still trying to figure out what richboy was talking about saying the Cavs would've been swept 2 straight years if you put Curry in the Cavs offense. That made no sense.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#177 » by Yallbecrazy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:26 pm

I agree with the OP, he is a top 5 PG in the Eastern conference
gino_giode
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#178 » by gino_giode » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:55 pm

[quote="richboy"][quote="SFrush"][quote="richboy"]

None of it was close to what Kyrie has done this year and last year.[/quote]

It's hardly a similar situation considering Kyrie has never led a team to the playoffs or been in the playoffs without Lebron but that's besides the point. You made it sound like Steph would be completely irrelevant if he was playing Iso ball for the Cavs. I just don't understand how you came to that conclusion.[/quote]

No situation is similar but what we do and know is skill set. Which is why these Curry vs Kyrie debates become well what did Kyrie do before Lebron. Because skill for skill they are not close. Kyrie is just a better overall talent. What I suppose to feel since Kyrie didn't take the Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett that some kind of indictment on him. Yet the best player in the world ran to go play with him. If not for an injury I'm completely convinced that just Kyrie and Lebron could beat the Warriors 2 years ago.

All I'm looking at is the skills between the two. Curry is a better shooter but Kyrie is great as well. Curry is better off the ball but Kyrie has improved so much in that and he is playing in a ISO offense. What if he played in a system that utilized his shooting and movement off the ball and let him do work on the bounce. Could he do what Curry did last year. Probably not but I don't think Curry could do what he did last year again. Take away last year I think Kyrie can do just as well if not better than the other 2 Curry Kerr seasons.[/quote]

Kyrie is also 3-4 years younger. He has time to catch up and be even better. He may never be as good a shooter, but i can see him catching up everywhere else.1
sajjawalk
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: RE: Re: Kyrie needs to be in the top 5 player discussion...'17 Finals Game 4: 40 points, 55% FG 

Post#179 » by sajjawalk » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:10 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
flintsky21 wrote:Kyrie is so criminally underrated and underappreciated. Everyone's still attributing it to the "Lebron factor," implying that any other decent PG in the league would score 38 and 40 points in back to back finals games simply coz he got Lebron as teammate. He utterly outplayed Curry, outscoring him 40 to 14, and people even barely talk about it. If it was the other way around there probably would be at least 5 threads about it. You'd think that after last year's finals, where Kyrie stood toe-to-toe against the 2x MVP, that people would start giving Irving the recognition he deserves, but the truth is by the time the next season starts, there will yet again be another Kyrie vs Lowry debate instead of comparing him against the likes of Curry, Westbrook or Wall.

The problem is that Kyrie is caught between two sides.

The one side is that he simply doesn't possess the gravity that Curry brings to a team on a nightly basis. We all know that from the moment that he crosses half court, he is a threat to bomb from deep. It's the reason why CLE traps him so high, hedges so hard on PnR, and plays physical with him. They are trying to do everything that they can to inhibit the ease with which he can make 3s at an extremely high volume. Kyrie is good but he doesn't have the type of draw nor the ability to open the floor for others that Steph does.

The other side is actually the more compelling one. There is a large contingent of LBJ supporters that need to prop up the narrative that LeBron has the midas touch; any garbage he plays with turns into gold. And by box score measurements and a surface analysis of the game, it would appear to be true.

However, most people honestly do not understand that it isn't easy being LeBron's teammate, especially one as talented as Kyrie.

There is a sacrifice to one's personal game that you have to make in order to play with him. Yes, you do get the benefit of playing in a near elite offensive system, but it surely isn't a democratic one.

LBJ plays free safety on defense which helps him reach rebounding totals very quickly. He brings the ball up, initiates the offense, beats his man off the dribble, and gives you the ball so that you can shoot a 3. (This obviously racks up the assists.) The only time another player runs sets is when LBJ doesn't feel like doing it. Because of this, he will always have tremendous box score numbers. Simply by the nature of running with LBJ, it would be much harder for anyone to put up great numbers consistently considering that plays aren't designed to be run through them often.

Bosh and Wade underwent the same treatment over time. Bosh warned Love ahead of time, yet Love didn't understand it until he experienced himself.

On one hand, you need to attribute it to LBJ's greatness that he is almost always a mismatch when he has the ball in his hands, and thus you can regularly expect the defense to collapse when he inevitably beats his man off the dribble or in PnR.

At the same time, LeBron's teammates are all marginalized in the sense that by letting LBJ do everything, his teammates can't do all that they may want to do. For some like JR, Shumpert, and Korver, it's great because he enables you to just focus on your strengths. But for guys like Wade, Bosh, Love, and Kyrie, it's very tough because you know that you can do so much more, but you're sort of being forced to primarily become just a shooter. They're not really allowed to showcase their strengths as much as they'd like because it doesn't go with the LBJ system. Thus, they're often critiqued for not flourishing in a role that they were never really designed to play in.

Players who are or could be developed into greater talents are by design reduced to shooters. And shooters know that completely wide open in-game shots are actually not easy to hit, since they usually aren't rhythm shots.

The hardest part of the play, which is making the shot, falls on his teammates. LBJ has some of the best spot up shooters surrounding him but it goes to show that it's very hard to always show up on demand like that, especially when you're not allowed to get into your own rhythm.

LBJ kills two birds with one stone with the system that his teams run. He generates all of the action (hence why we don't often see too many hockey assists from them) and can put up fantastic numbers, but his teammates have to be elite marksmen all of the time which is impossible for any one to do. By nature of LBJ's greatness but also by design of the system, his better teammates (who aren't 3&D players by nature) are essentially setup to always come up short.

Sent from my SM-N900T using RealGM mobile app

The problem with Kyrie is that he's only great at one thing which is scoring so when his shot is not going in, he becomes extremely predictable. Secondly, he struggles with confidence from time to time, a great example of that is this series when Lebron has gone to the bench and Kyrie has had control of the show. The cavs have done horribly in those moments. In fact, cavs struggle to have lebron sit for more than 1 to 2 minutes before the game starts getting away from them. In terms of Lebron initiating the offense, we can all agree at Kyrie has always been a shooting guard in a point guard's body and struggles to get others involved.

Kyrie is a very good player but being great at one thing in the NBA does not win you playoff games and it certainly does not mean you are a superstar. The reality is that LeBron has made every player he's ever played with better, just ask Shump and JR - who looked to be on their way out of the league when in NY.
richboy
RealGM

Post#180 » by richboy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:14 pm

SFrush wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
richboy wrote:

Lmao you're hilarious.

Especially in the East. I'm still trying to figure out what richboy was talking about saying the Cavs would've been swept 2 straight years if you put Curry in the Cavs offense. That made no sense.

Did you not see Curry in last years finals. Is Curry having a game like game 4 that Kyrie had to win a game.

Return to The General Board