Do you consider LeBron James a good role model?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Is LeBron a good role model for kids to look up to

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 266

Baz
Rookie
And1: 1,564

Re: Do you consider LeBron James a good role model? 

Post#121 » by Baz » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:56 am

He's a leader in every sense of the word. A terrific role model & face of the NBA.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#122 » by CobraCommander » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:56 am

lakerz12 wrote:No, way too into himself.

Then no one else can be a role model....even the Dali lama says 'I'm the Dali lama'...which means he is aware that he is special...and let's you know
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,760

Post#123 » by CobraCommander » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:59 am

LeBron_da_Don wrote:
MC3 wrote:Do you mean I consider a guy who never attended college or has higher degree of education a good role model for kids? No.

You are vastly overrating higher education. A degree doesn't make you a good or even a decent role model.

Bet these people think bill gates is a great role model ...because he is educated...lol. Dont tell them about Bill....shssss...make it about universities...
joeyAdaMan
Analyst
And1: 2,145

Post#124 » by joeyAdaMan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:07 am

Guest202 wrote:
MC3 wrote:Do you mean I consider a guy who never attended college or has higher degree of education a good role model for kids? No.

I know people are torching you for this -- and maybe it was sarcastic -- but it's TRUE. For every 1 Akron kid LeBron gets into college or whatever, there are 1,000+ inner city kids around the country that think they're the next NBA superstar, that school-reading-learning is a waste of time because LeBron didn't need it.

bad post
Volcano wrote:Kobe must the best at everything. He's faster than Westbrook and stronger than Dwight. He's taller than Yao Ming and shorter than Earl Boykins. Nothing you say is going to change their minds.
MrBaynes
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,863

Post#125 » by MrBaynes » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:15 am

Yes, he is a good role model. He is never involved in negative off-court issues, plays the game the right way, solid all around citizen and philanthropist. Is he the ultimate ideal role model you would want for your kids? Probably not, you would probably prefer them to idolize some great academic mind or someone who gives their all to charitable efforts, asking nothing in return. But let's be realistic, kids look up to athletes and celebrities. It is the rare kid who idolizes the nobel prize winner.

So out of the realistic choices for a kid to look up to, LeBron is a great choice.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,584

Post#126 » by OdomFan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:51 am

Kupchak9 wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
Kupchak9 wrote:
You don't find that ironic, considering you essentially are promoting Lamar Odom?

Odom was one of my favorite players not my role model. Nice try.

That's the irony of it. You think Lebron's character should be looked down upon, but you're all for supporting Odom, who's off-court issues are just exponentially worse. Do you disagree that Odom would be one of the worst role-models for kids?

Except you fail to realize that I never said anything about Odom being a role model for anyone. I was simply a fan of what he did to help the Lakers win championships. Now you seriously should move on and accept that not everyone is gonna admire your hero.
Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,492

Post#127 » by Kupchak9 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:01 pm

OdomFan wrote:
Kupchak9 wrote:
OdomFan wrote:Odom was one of my favorite players not my role model. Nice try.

That's the irony of it. You think Lebron's character should be looked down upon, but you're all for supporting Odom, who's off-court issues are just exponentially worse. Do you disagree that Odom would be one of the worst role-models for kids?

Except you fail to realize that I never said anything about Odom being a role model for anyone. I was simply a fan of what he did to help the Lakers win championships. Now you seriously should move on and accept that not everyone is gonna admire your hero.

Clearly you're missing the point. It's the fact that your statement lacks credibility. Why should anyone take into consideration of your judgement of Lebron's character when you explicitly support players who have inferior morals.

This is like a Kobe fan trying to call out other players for ballhogging. It's a joke.

But nonetheless I will move on because its seriously clear that you can't make a proper argument without jumping into conclusions. Bye. :D
OdomFan
General Manager

Post#128 » by OdomFan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:12 pm

none of that made any sense but hey. Adios amigo :)
Riko
Rookie
And1: 685

Post#129 » by Riko » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:47 pm

He play ball. Why he should be a role model?
He is not a judge, a policeman, a goverment member or a priest (for who believe in such things).
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#130 » by improper » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:51 pm

I mean, as far as NBA players go, he's a pretty great role model. He never gets in any trouble off the court, he's a good father and husband from all accounts, he gives back to his community...not sure what more you want from an NBA player as a role model. Really the only misstep in his entire career thus far was The Decision, which has mostly been forgotten now that he came back to Cleveland and won them a title.
leoshes
Veteran
And1: 5,437

Post#131 » by leoshes » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:07 pm

Celebrities are not roll models. Your parents, or grandparents should be your roll models or someone close to you. Not someone on tv you dont even know.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#132 » by Throwback24 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Z Cabarkapa wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:
Z Cabarkapa wrote:
Good for you.

Who hurt you?

Snide responses inspire snide responses, inspire snide responses, inspire snide responses...

And that's fine. But the question stands, who hurt in you life?
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
LakerPride
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#133 » by LakerPride » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Off the court, pretty much yes, but his basketball persona, no.
Z Cabarkapa
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#134 » by Z Cabarkapa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Throwback24 wrote:
Z Cabarkapa wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:
Who hurt you?

Snide responses inspire snide responses, inspire snide responses, inspire snide responses...

And that's fine. But the question stands, who hurt in you life?

It was you. It's always been you.
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#135 » by Baski » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:31 am

Prince187 wrote:I don't know what you guys are talking about it. He's a terrible role model. I can't believe how low our standards have sunk. Not committing crimes or donating some money to charity when you make 85 million a year and can write it off as a tax deduction doesn't make a you good role model. It's setting a good example that people can follow. LeBron does a piss poor job at that.

You want your kids thinking that the Decision is something they should emulate? Or abandoning his teammates in Miami when the road got too rough. Throwing his teammates under the bus regularly, constantly complaining and whining to the refs and making gestures on the court, coming off arrogant and self centered in interviews, the stories of him treating restaurant workers and low level of NBA workers with disrespect,not listening to coaches, hitting on women when he's married, taking games off and then going out to the club, not trying on defense,etc

How could anyone possibly think someone like that is a good role model for children to look up to and try to behave like.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wow man! The guy missed 8 games. You must really not think that highly of Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. Or their coach who practically forced them to miss those rest games huh?
Not trying on defense" :lol: :lol: Yeah I'm sure LeBron's message to that 12 yr old boy who idolizes him is probably "Whatever you choose to do in life kid, rest whenever you can and never play defense"

Aside from the fact that your criticisms are mostly basketball-related, while being a role model is much broader than what you do in your profession, it's hilarious how you started this thread expecting a certain answer and then are now shooting down those who give the opposite. :lol: :lol:
3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,300

Post#136 » by 3Diamantidis » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:08 am

If you do not think that lebron is the perfect role model for kids then i don't know who is.
OdomFan
General Manager

Post#137 » by OdomFan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:12 pm

3Diamantidis wrote:If you do not think that lebron is the perfect role model for kids then i don't know who is.

Their parents perhaps?
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#138 » by Baski » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:55 pm

People are focusing too much on comparing him to Mother Theresa or some other saintly person. As far as NBA players who have achieved his level of fame and recognition, he's arguably the best role model of all time (Duncan being the only one who i think comes close, but he was not nearly as scrutinised as LeBron and has had his own off the court issues).
If the worst thing you can say about him is "Decision", then that's a pretty great thing for people to hate you for. It baffles me that those who hated the decision straight up refuse to acknowledge that it generated millions of dollars to put kids through school. You think that if you explained this to your 11 year old son, he'd go "you're right daddy, who cares about the 6 million dollars? He's still a bad man because he left Cleveland."?
Some of you people are just unbelievable. It's not healthy to hate one man this much.
Collymore
Starter
And1: 2,775

Post#139 » by Collymore » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:15 pm

On a scale between:

1: donating money to put kids in college
10: leaving your home state team as a free agent on a live broadcasted spectacle

Where would you place rape, drug abuse, drunk driving and domestic violence?
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#140 » by Bensational » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:40 am

There are some things he sets a good example for, and some things he doesn't. His skill and commitment to the game is commendable, and the fact he keeps out of trouble and seems like a pretty reputable and stand up person in day to day life is great.

But, personally, I wouldn't want my kids to be learning sportsmanship from him. Doesn't shake hands after a loss. Abandoned his team for an easier road. I want my kids to be able to take their losses in stride and not look for shortcuts to an end goal.

Return to The General Board