Steve Kerr "Its Lebron and MJ at the top"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

WinisKing
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,988

Steve Kerr "Its Lebron and MJ at the top" 

Post#1 » by WinisKing » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:24 pm

Golden State Head coach and teammate of MJ just said this on Lowe's podcast, very interesting point despite Lebron's recent loss to his Warriors.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Re: Steve Kerr "Its Lebron and MJ at the top" 

Post#2 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:25 pm

Lost in all of this is how Steve Kerr hates MJ and for good reason.
Ganji
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#3 » by Ganji » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:26 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:Lost in all of this is how Steve Kerr hates MJ and for good reason.

why does he hate MJ?
Tinseltown
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,917

Post#4 » by Tinseltown » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:31 pm

MJ used to beat Steve Kerr like a dog at practice. Usually in private one time Jordan punched Kerr right in the face in front of reporters and word got out.

But hey it worked. Steve Kerr was terrified of disappointing Jordan and had his best seasons as a result. Maybe if LeBron slapped Korver around a little he wouldn't miss so many 3s
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,666

Post#5 » by HotRocks34 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:33 pm

He is correct, and particularly as involves perimeter players in NBA history.

Those are the only two at the top of the heap.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs without Klay
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,907

Post#6 » by chrismikayla » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:35 pm

He should know. I'm pretty sure MJ ended up respecting him after he stood up to MJ in practice resulting in the fight.

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using RealGM mobile app
[gfycat][/gfycat]
The High Cyde
Head Coach
And1: 12,314

Post#7 » by The High Cyde » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:36 pm

I conkerr :P
Rob Diaz
Analyst
And1: 5,390

Post#8 » by Rob Diaz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:38 pm

Love Kerr, one of my favorite coaches in the league. One of the few older people involved with the league who hasn't been blinded by bitterness and nostalgia.

If he ever bashes Jordan, I'll buy a Kerr jersey.
InsanityKills
Sophomore
And1: 240

Post#9 » by InsanityKills » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:40 pm

Steve Kerr named his son, Nick Kerr...
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#10 » by Jimmy Recard » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:11 am

Tinseltown wrote:MJ used to beat Steve Kerr like a dog at practice. Usually in private one time Jordan punched Kerr right in the face in front of reporters and word got out.

But hey it worked. Steve Kerr was terrified of disappointing Jordan and had his best seasons as a result. Maybe if LeBron slapped Korver around a little he wouldn't miss so many 3s

Link?

I remember reading a story about Mike punching Kerr in a scrimmage. He felt like Kerr was getting away with holding/grabbing when he was guarding him and the coaches were letting him get away with it. He lost his **** and clocked him in front of the whole team. Phil then kicked him out of practice and sent him home. Mike called Kerr at home personally to apologize later on.

This is really the only story ive read about the whole 'MJ treating Kerr like sh*t". And in other interviews Kerr has only had good things to say about him.
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#11 » by -Sammy- » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:21 am

Anti-LeBron folks are major quote-miners when it comes to heralding quotes that are negative about LeBron and ignoring ones that are positive, so it'll be interesting to see them try to minimize Kerr's statement somehow.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#12 » by LakerLegend » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:34 am

Kerr has also said:

"If the rules were the same now as when Michael played, he'd average 40 a game with ease if he wanted to," Kerr said. "The way people used to try to manhandle him and rough him up -- you can't do that anymore.

"You can barely touch a guy. As incredible as Michael was 15 years ago and as unstoppable as he was, it would be much more glaring now. I think it's important that we remember that."

"LeBron is just amazing and breathtaking to watch. I think he's great for the NBA. We're so lucky that we're even having this conversation, that we can even mention somebody in the same breath as Michael. And I think (Kevin) Durant is right there, too."

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130220/sports/702209660/
Scizzup
Veteran
And1: 1,995

Post#13 » by Scizzup » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:36 am

BombsquadSammy wrote:Anti-LeBron folks are major quote-miners when it comes to heralding quotes that are negative about LeBron and ignoring ones that are positive, so it'll be interesting to see them try to minimize Kerr's statement somehow.

lol
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#14 » by zimpy27 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:49 am

BombsquadSammy wrote:Anti-LeBron folks are major quote-miners when it comes to heralding quotes that are negative about LeBron and ignoring ones that are positive, so it'll be interesting to see them try to minimize Kerr's statement somehow.

To add to your sig:

The guy known for deferring in the big moment, trusting others to know how to do their job, and trusting people to run his businesses. Well he's the same guy that apparently doesn't trust his GM and coaching department to do their jobs and does everything for them in between training harder than anyone in the league.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
-Sammy-
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,668

Post#15 » by -Sammy- » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:59 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:Kerr has also said:

"If the rules were the same now as when Michael played, he'd average 40 a game with ease if he wanted to," Kerr said. "The way people used to try to manhandle him and rough him up -- you can't do that anymore.

"You can barely touch a guy. As incredible as Michael was 15 years ago and as unstoppable as he was, it would be much more glaring now. I think it's important that we remember that."

"LeBron is just amazing and breathtaking to watch. I think he's great for the NBA. We're so lucky that we're even having this conversation, that we can even mention somebody in the same breath as Michael. And I think (Kevin) Durant is right there, too."

Those statements are more than four years old; the statement the OP referenced was made a few hours ago.
Fico92
Sixth Man
And1: 2,361

Post#16 » by Fico92 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:06 am

InsanityKills wrote:Steve Kerr named his son, Nick Kerr...

:lol:
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,695

Post#17 » by Benedict_Boozer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:18 am

Nice quote from Kerr - someone who would know having played with MJ.

Always seemed like he respected LBJ's game and as someone who has to game plan for him, means alot.
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#18 » by 13th Man » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:39 am

You can tell Kerr has mad respect for Lebron, he's always joshing with him along the sidelines. He respects both Lebron and MJ as the 2 GOATs, I don't see what's wrong with that.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,376

Post#19 » by robbie84 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:35 am

HotRocks34 wrote:He is correct, and particularly as involves perimeter players in NBA history.

Those are the only two at the top of the heap.

Will be unreal when a phenom comes along that is just as good as Jordan and Lebron at everything- but even better at FT shooting and 3 pt shooting.

Here's to hoping as a basketball fan.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,166

Post#20 » by donnieme » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:47 am

BombsquadSammy wrote:
Lakerfan17 wrote:Kerr has also said:

Those statements are more than four years old; the statement the OP referenced was made a few hours ago.

Quote miners indeed :lol:

Return to The General Board