Roger Goodell Denies Colin Kaepernick Is Being Blackballed By NFL

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Roger Goodell Denies Colin Kaepernick Is Being Blackballed By NFL 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:41 pm

Roger Goodell was asked about the Colin Kaepernick situation in which he remains unsigned amid accusations the NFL is blackballing him for his political activism. 

When asked about it Thursday, he called the NFL a “meritocracy,” where players “earn [their] opportunities.”

Goodell said all teams "want to get better."

“And if they see an opportunity to get better as a football team, they’re going to do it. They’re going to do whatever it takes to make their football team better.

“So those are football decisions,” Goodell continued. “They’re made all the time. I believe that if a football team feels that Colin Kaepernick, or any other player, is going to improve that team, they’re going to do it.”

When asked if he would like to see Kaepernick get signed, Goodell said, “I don’t get involved in personnel decisions with the clubs. Those are decisions that the 32 clubs are going to have to make individually. They’re going to give whatever player they think can help them win that opportunity.

Via Des Bieler/Washington Post

76ersfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 205

Re: Roger Goodell Denies Colin Kaepernick Is Being Blackballed By NFL 

Post#2 » by 76ersfan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Obviously has something to do with his stances whether u agree of disagree. He's clearly an NFL quarterback and he's proved that. Roger Godell is a chump.
Long Live Sam Hinkie :D
statsman
Analyst
And1: 438

Post#3 » by statsman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:18 pm

The minute Kaepernick proves he can read a defense, even partly, he will have an NFL job.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#4 » by Disinformation » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:17 am

Well, OK then, because if Roger Goodell says it, it must be true, right?

Look, I'm not saying Kaepernick is being blackballed, but there's literally only one guy I believe less than Roger Goodell when he opens his mouth.

**** off, Roger.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
Arahman
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Arahman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:26 pm

Lets be honest the notion of Kap getting blackballed is a reach. I didn't have a problem with his protest but to think that is the reason he can't find a job right now is ridiculous. Look around the league, what team is in need of a starting caliber quarterback? The Jets are obviously tanking for the top pick next year, the Browns, Broncos and Texans have qbs on their roster that they think can be solid starters. The Dolphins and Jaguars need to figure out if their "franchise qb" are actually worth a roster slot and every other team has either an established starter with a big contract or a young qb they are looking to build around.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#6 » by LAKESHOW » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:54 pm

and that ladies and gents, is the reason why goodell is getting paid the big bucks by the owners. So as to spin, coverup and spew the BS for ownership
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#7 » by MitchB3 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:18 pm

I mean do you really think he's going to get a job? He brought down ratings to the NFL, he's BLACK. Now, if this would have been a white player, trust me when I say they would have gotten a slap on the risk, and go unsigned until the season begins. Whoever, thinks this isn't the NFL owners way of saying "stay in your place" is really fooling themselves.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#8 » by macNcheese3 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Damn man- he deserves a shot somewhere.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,547

Post#9 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:39 pm

I don't think he's really that good tbh, but better than a majority of the guys that got signed from this free agency pool at QB. He would have been better off beating his girlfriend up or raping a woman....which speaks volumes about the kind of people that run these NFL teams.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
ebrian
Junior
And1: 32

Post#10 » by ebrian » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:06 am

Kaepernick as well as RGIII looked extremely good in the earlier parts of their careers because of the rise in popularity of the read option. In that season, all teams began trying it because defenses weren't quite there yet. Then the following year, they gameplanned for it and both RG3 and Kaep because worthless quarterbacks because average passers at best.

The difference between the two, in terms of career path, is that Kaepernick played for the 49ers who at the time had a very aggressive defense, while the Redskins were just not good. So Kaepernick achieved higher success, and everyone not paying attention to things like this thought he was really good. Whereas RG3 played for a bad team, and got injured, and for awhile some thought he'd return after healing.

Why isn't anyone complaining that RG3 is getting blackballed? Because he's not -- he's just not that good. Neither is Kaepernick.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,983

Post#11 » by spikeslovechild » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:02 am

He can always play for Cuba.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#12 » by BallerTalk » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Roger Goodell denies the NFL has a concussion problem.

Roger Goodell denies the NFL has a domestic violence issue.

Roger Goodell denies Colin Kaepernick is being blackballed.

Anybody else seeing a pattern here?
Goodell was even dishonest about something as ridiculous as "deflategate" so it's hard to respect his integrity on any issue of substance.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#13 » by flow » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Arahman wrote:Lets be honest the notion of Kap getting blackballed is a reach. I didn't have a problem with his protest but to think that is the reason he can't find a job right now is ridiculous. Look around the league, what team is in need of a starting caliber quarterback? The Jets are obviously tanking for the top pick next year, the Browns, Broncos and Texans have qbs on their roster that they think can be solid starters. The Dolphins and Jaguars need to figure out if their "franchise qb" are actually worth a roster slot and every other team has either an established starter with a big contract or a young qb they are looking to build around.

I guess the question is, how many QB's currently on nfl rosters (not just starters) are worse than Kaepernick?

Quite a few. And his phone hasn't rang at all?

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion