Sixers and Celtics in serious talks about potential trade involving #1 pick

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Re: Sixers and Celtics in serious talks about potential trade involving #1 pick 

Post#1061 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:09 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
righterwriter wrote:Don't know why people would be calling into question the Sixers scouting department compared to the Celtics scouting department. One side has hit mostly home runs on it's many picks the last three years while the other has been dubious, at best, with it's many picks.

The Sixers have been picking from the top of the lotto for several years while the Celtics have had basically one lotto pick in Marcus Smart. Their circumstances are quiet different.

Also Jaylen Brown.

Yeah, he's brand new so there's no real way to judge how good he is, but generally speaking he is considered to have been a good pick despite the fact that most boards thought he shouldn't have gone #3. So up to this point, isn't Brown looking like a good pick?

Coincidentally , both lotto picks the Celtics have had have been more productive than the Sixers top picks from those respective drafts due to health.

I'm actually not following how Marcus Smart was a bad pick? He is better or as good as pretty much anyone picked around him, and is better than a couple of players picked before him, and is healthier than the 2nd and 3rd picks. Unless Ainge is getting panned for not drafting Jokic, I'm not following what players are light years better?
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#1062 » by jason bourne » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Markelle is suppose to be an All-Star at the NBA level. I may be biased, but don't see it in his other workouts either. He may still be one as he's good in games.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,766

Post#1063 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:26 pm

gmoney411 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Was there a different draft that took place where Beasley went first?

Yes, my bad. Rose was #1 that year. But history means nothing. What happened in prior years has no causal relationship with what will happen with the players picked this year The events are independent.

History does mean something. It has shown that the player thought to be the best player in a draft is normally an all star caliber player.

1998 Olowokandi not an all star
1999 Elton Brand Made it twice in 17 years
2000 Kenyon Martin Made it once in 15 years
2001 Kwame Brown not an all star
2005 Andrew Bogut not an all star
2006 Andrea Bargnani not an all star
2007 Greg Oden not an all star
2013 Anthony Bennett not an all star
2014 Andrew Wiggins Not an all star
2015 Karl Anthony Towns not an ll star (but probably will be)
2016 Ben Simmons not an all star
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#1064 » by Jon1798 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
mademan wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:Those aren't Russell's college stats. lol

He put up 19/5/5 on 44/41/75

lol, ya i just noticed. I was looking at his LAL stats for some reason. NVM then, Markelle still had a better collegiate career though the gap wasnt as big as i thought

15.6ppg 4.8apg 3.6rpg in 28.7 mpg = 20/6/4.4 in 36 mpg in his age 20 season. Not sure where all this hate for Russell comes from. Players naturally start off with bad TS% their first few years in the league and end up getting better over the next five years. So yeah a better version of Russell even slightly better would make for a great player in this league.

And I'm glad you said that, as I didn't mean the question as an insult. I still like D Lo's game overall. I think he's capable of being a great scorer in this league.

It just struck me as an unbelievably equal comparison. These tall, over sized scoring point guards.

And while I like D Lo a lot, it makes me wonder if this discussion is very different when others consider Fultz to be like D Lo.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
NBA Moses
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#1065 » by NBA Moses » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:34 pm

jason bourne wrote:Markelle is suppose to be an All-Star at the NBA level. I may be biased, but don't see it in his other workouts either. He may still be one as he's good in games.

Keep in mind Markelle Fultz is very young. Just turned 19 a week or 2 ago. He may or may not have one last growth spurt but for sure he will get stronger and perhaps more explosive. An already decent shot and finish obviously will improve with age .

I watched a few U Washington games this year and Markelle didnt blow me away in any of them but the draft in most cases is about projecting into the future.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#1066 » by righterwriter » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:41 pm

jason bourne wrote:Got a bad feeling about Markelle Fultz.

Based on a 10 minute workout? The guy flew across the country at the last minute. I don't think him going through drills overrides an outstanding Freshman season and being the consensus #1 player in the draft.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Re: RE: Re: Sixers and Celtics in serious talks about potential trade involving #1 pick 

Post#1067 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:42 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
HoustonCougars wrote:Markelle is a more athletic and taller version of Russell.

taller? lol Russell is 6 feet 5, Markelle is 6 feet 4.

Probably the same height, Russell is 6'3" without shoes.
Veyron
Senior
And1: 509

Post#1068 » by Veyron » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:52 pm

Im only one thinking Celtics going for A.Davis. Its streched but not impossible.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#1069 » by Jon1798 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Veyron wrote:Im only one thinking Celtics going for A.Davis. Its streched but not impossible.

Lol about as real as santa.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
Veyron
Senior
And1: 509

Post#1070 » by Veyron » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:21 pm

Jon1798 wrote:
Veyron wrote:Im only one thinking Celtics going for A.Davis. Its streched but not impossible.

Its not such a big stretch.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#1071 » by hookshot199 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:22 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
The Sixers have been picking from the top of the lotto for several years while the Celtics have had basically one lotto pick in Marcus Smart. Their circumstances are quiet different.

Also Jaylen Brown.

Yeah, he's brand new so there's no real way to judge how good he is, but generally speaking he is considered to have been a good pick despite the fact that most boards thought he shouldn't have gone #3. So up to this point, isn't Brown looking like a good pick?

Coincidentally , both lotto picks the Celtics have had have been more productive than the Sixers top picks from those respective drafts due to health.

I'm actually not following how Marcus Smart was a bad pick? He is better or as good as pretty much anyone picked around him, and is better than a couple of players picked before him, and is healthier than the 2nd and 3rd picks. Unless Ainge is getting panned for not drafting Jokic, I'm not following what players are light years better?

I backed off my negative view of Brown after the playoffs. I think he deserves another look by all of us. As for Smart, he's never reached his potential because he hasn't learned to shoot. I think he's a good player, but he's coming up on a payday. Ditto for Stauskas, Randle, Payton and LaVine. How much is he worth? Ditto for Stauskas, Randle, Payton and LaVine?
DaTruth34
Junior
And1: 314

Re: RE: Re: Sixers and Celtics in serious talks about potential trade involving #1 pick 

Post#1072 » by DaTruth34 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:28 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
hookshot199 wrote:
Also Jaylen Brown.

I backed off my negative view of Brown after the playoffs. I think he deserves another look by all of us. As for Smart, he's never reached his potential because he hasn't learned to shoot. I think he's a good player, but he's coming up on a payday. Ditto for Stauskas, Randle, Payton and LaVine. How much is he worth? Ditto for Stauskas, Randle, Payton and LaVine?

Smart impact winning in so many ways

Inviato dal mio Moto G (4) utilizzando Tapatalk
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,671

Post#1073 » by Pointgod » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Veyron wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:

Pelicans aren't moving Davis after giving a lottery pick for Cousins.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,792

Post#1074 » by XtremeDunkz » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Davis isn't going anywhere LOL he is under contract until 2021.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#1075 » by CoreyGallagher » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
gmoney411 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:
Yes, my bad. Rose was #1 that year. But history means nothing. What happened in prior years has no causal relationship with what will happen with the players picked this year The events are independent.

History does mean something. It has shown that the player thought to be the best player in a draft is normally an all star caliber player.

1998 Olowokandi not an all star
1999 Elton Brand Made it twice in 17 years
2000 Kenyon Martin Made it once in 15 years
2001 Kwame Brown not an all star
2005 Andrew Bogut not an all star
2006 Andrea Bargnani not an all star
2007 Greg Oden not an all star
2013 Anthony Bennett not an all star
2014 Andrew Wiggins Not an all star
2015 Karl Anthony Towns not an ll star (but probably will be)
2016 Ben Simmons not an all star

You're right that history doesn't necessarily matter, but typically who most believe to be the best are believed to be that for at least a reason. There are obviously examples of that not being the case, as you listed, but the averages still balance.

Spoiler:

CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,258

Post#1076 » by John Murdoch » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:50 pm

Dangelo?
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
CoreyGallagher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,924

Post#1077 » by CoreyGallagher » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:52 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:

taller? lol Russell is 6 feet 5, Markelle is 6 feet 4.

EDIT: Actually, this is correct, about an inch difference height wise, while being about the same length.

I think you give benefit of doubt to Russell's shooting because he's done it in NBA, but Fultz is more athletic. There's obviously some physical similarities, as they have similarities to other players as well. It doesn't matter, lol.
CoreyGallagher wrote:I hope the Cavs don't take Embiid because then we'll take Embiid.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,008

Post#1078 » by vxmike » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:07 pm

This is the summer for Ainge to make his move. If the Celtics let Olynyk walk, and trade the #3 pick they'll have around $30M in cap space. They can sign a max FA (or very close) then trade Zeller's non-guaranteed deal plus scraps for Butler. They could also trade Bradley or IT to make more cap space and go for Hayward plus a rim protector.

Their future picks are worth a lot b/c they can add players on rookie deals even while in the tax. Repeater is years down the road, and trading IT before his mega deal could help that.

Celtics have so many options. Let's see what Ainge does.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#1079 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:21 pm

laika wrote:
laika wrote:I think that this could potentially be a decent to spectacular trade for the 76ers.

-The 76ers desperately need shooting and a PG.
-They absolutely don't need Jackson since he is too similar to Covington.
-The Simmons as PG experiment is likely to fail. If the 76ers couldn't get a top PG with the Laker pick then they could be screwed.
-Fultz has far more potential to be a superstar than Jackson.

So how much should the 76ers offer for this huge upgrade?
3rd plus 2018 76er 1st- An absolute steal. 76ers are unlikely to be in the lottery.
3rd plus 2018 Laker 1st- A very solid deal. Yes, the Lakers are likely to be bad. But a 3rd and a 5th with limited value vs a player who is perfect for your team is an obvious choice.
3rd plus 2018 Laker 1st plus 2018 76er 1st- You still have to do this. Mid 1st round picks just aren't worth very much.

The 76ers shouldn't even hesitate to trade unless Boston starts asking for all three top 1st round picks.

Needless to say, I'm giving this trade an "A" for Philadelphia.

In theory Boston picked up some decent value. But you can only play 5 players. You win titles with your top 3-5 players, not 12. I don't see how this moves Boston closer to contending unless they get a lucky pick and/or consolidate their assets.

Well, the next pick could easily be an allstar. Having an allstar could make your top 5 player roster. Maybe they like Jackson over fultz. Fultz won't start on there team, hence he isn't a part of there top 5. I also think having a great 6th or 7th man or whatever is fine too.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
pb-ceo
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#1080 » by pb-ceo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:26 pm

Veyron wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:

it's about as real as the Nets making the NBA finals next year and beating GS in 4.

Return to The General Board