ImageImageImageImageImage

Which Situation Would You Rather Be In? Knicks or Sixers?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,157

Re: Which Situation Would You Rather Be In? Knicks or Sixers? 

Post#501 » by drekwins » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:07 pm

Capn'O wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Did you watch any Embiid this year? They guy is a flat out monster. It's an all or nothing situation with him. For the league's sake, I hope he can stay healthy.

they had him on a minutes restriction and no back to backs and he still couldn't make it through the year. i don't have a lot of hope he can stay healthy.

I agree. That Embiid bit was mostly an aside.

Look - let me put it this way. Equal money, you can become POBO of the Sixers or Knicks. Where do you choose based on current situation? You can't wait and see how these prospects are gonna play out.

Keep in mind, the 76ers are completely committed to tanking. Even if healthy, I don't see their young guys playing a full season until they're ready to start winning. If a guy has a hang nail, they sit him for the year. They embrace losses. They knew that if they kept playing Embiid, they'd get over 30 wins. So, at first sign of a injury they shut him down. You have to understand, you can't legally sit out players anymore if they're not hurt. Injuries are just a smokescreen unless it's an ACL or something significant.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,371

Post#502 » by god shammgod » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Capn'O wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Did you watch any Embiid this year? They guy is a flat out monster. It's an all or nothing situation with him. For the league's sake, I hope he can stay healthy.

they had him on a minutes restriction and no back to backs and he still couldn't make it through the year. i don't have a lot of hope he can stay healthy.

I agree. That Embiid bit was mostly an aside other than that if he does stay healthy he is. that. player.

Look - let me put it this way. Equal money, you can become POBO of the Sixers or Knicks. Where do you choose based on current situation? You can't wait and see how these prospects are gonna play out.

it really depends on kp. my instincts tell me he's not gonna reach that height as a player, but i'd rather wait one more year before i switch no matter how many picks or young players the sixers have.

also, i need phil not to clog up the roster with any more noahs. you might get someone really good to join kp here if he is that good but you need cap space. so no rubio. no pj tucker. no nobody.
Isiahthomass
Bench Warmer
And1: 819

Post#503 » by Isiahthomass » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:11 pm

The Warriors!
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,371

Post#504 » by god shammgod » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:12 pm

i would rather go about the business of trying to get a top player the way the sixers do. so i would rather my organization act that way. but they still need to get lucky. and i don't know that they have yet.
The Infamous1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,024

Post#505 » by The Infamous1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:19 pm

The Knicks should've let melo walk in 2014 and blown it up
We can get paper longer than Pippens arms
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#506 » by NY2TheBay » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:19 pm

Isiahthomass wrote:The Warriors!

Have some muth****** popcorn! :lol:
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#507 » by Scalabrine » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Greenie wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Can't read any further.
That's a damn joke.

You can't read any further because I'm right.

Shumpert is maybe their 9th best player, they don't rely on him for anything but defense, which is actually what he's good at. If you want that to be your way of dodging the previous point you made that you can't be a playoff team without one star then go for it but we all know you were wrong there.

No, I wasn't but do you.

If it was true AD should stay in the playoffs. Because he's better than Harden and Westbrook.

Nothing is absolute. Not all one-man teams make the playoffs. You just said that you CAN'T be a one man team and make the playoffs. There have been plenty of examples that say the contrary. The Pelicans have had some major injuries (including AD himself) and roster overhauls his entire time there.
Go Knicks!
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#508 » by Greenie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:09 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
Greenie wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:I don't think too many are disputing that sixers have better situation but shammgod was making point that sixers could stack young talent for years but it'll be irrelevant if none of them become top 5 players. You could also win a title the larry brown pistons or kg Celtics way but those were deep teams with a lot of quality vets and strong defense not something you really create by stacking young guys.

But that's not the point of this thread.
It's not about who will win a championship first. It's about who's in a better position right now. Today, on 6-18-2017.

That's it. The depends on who has the best player is irrelevant right now. The best prospect is unknown for the most part. Which team has the better future?

Future should have championship goals in it, so that's fair game. other than KP, Philly has everything the Knicks have, and perhaps they may have one player, and it only needs to be one to equal what we have in KP.

Philly has some question marks that the Knicks dont, but they have a lot of different cards in their bag to play with, even a few small one's that used to be ours (several 2nd round pick from us).

Embid trumps KP.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#509 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Greenie wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
Greenie wrote:

It's not about who will win a championship first. It's about who's in a better position right now. Today, on 6-18-2017.

That's it. The depends on who has the best player is irrelevant right now. The best prospect is unknown for the most part. Which team has the better future?

Future should have championship goals in it, so that's fair game. other than KP, Philly has everything the Knicks have, and perhaps they may have one player, and it only needs to be one to equal what we have in KP.

Philly has some question marks that the Knicks dont, but they have a lot of different cards in their bag to play with, even a few small one's that used to be ours (several 2nd round pick from us).

Embid trumps KP.

Not at a minutes restriction which is his last known situation.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#510 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:54 pm

Yeah, I did chuckle at ESPN PTI Michael Wilbon calling them, "The Red Shirt Sixers. :lol:

I love Joel Embiid's game but 31 games over THREE YEARS?!?!! I want to be an optimist but I wouldn't feel comfortable running this guy out there for a full season any time soon.

His back up, Jahlil Okafor played 53 games during his rookie year (before getting hurt) and then little LESS his sophomore year from the BENCH!?!?

Then you got Ben Simmons who tried to add 10 lbs of muscle and F'd up his foot. Done for the season.

Talk about HORRIFIC luck.

On paper, the Sixers are poised to be a better situation than the Knicks with Fultz running the point BUT..

BUT...

the team health has said otherwise.
MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#511 » by MrOrange » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:04 pm

Greenie wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Embid trumps KP.

Of course, trumps. Just needs to put a single season together. :D
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,414

Post#512 » by Synciere » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:11 pm

It only took Philly six years to get to this point. And guess what, they still haven't won anything. But yeah, moving forward they might be in better shape. No reason for us to repeat what they did and tank though.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,179

Post#513 » by DOT » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Sixers situation is far better than ours
They're not perfect, but the acquisition of Fultz fixes a lot of their issues, really the only one now is health

But they've been doing this since the 2013 draft (when they acquired Nerlens and started the process), so 4 years, and they're still gonna need a year or two before they start to realize their potential

Basically, rebuilding takes a long ass time, and I'd be surprised if we got to 41 wins before 2020
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,710

Post#514 » by 76thBearCub » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:35 pm

drekwins wrote:
Keep in mind, the 76ers are completely committed to tanking. Even if healthy, I don't see their young guys playing a full season until they're ready to start winning. If a guy has a hang nail, they sit him for the year. They embrace losses. They knew that if they kept playing Embiid, they'd get over 30 wins. So, at first sign of a injury they shut him down. You have to understand, you can't legally sit out players anymore if they're not hurt. Injuries are just a smokescreen unless it's an ACL or something significant.

You don't understand the process brother.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#515 » by Sprewell4Three » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:58 pm

On paper the Sixers have the best core of young players. Fultz, Simmons, Embiid are the future of the NBA
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#516 » by Sprewell4Three » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:02 pm

The Knicks are not in horrible shape but man, do they have a looooong way to go to be relevant in this league. KP is good but there's questions about him becoming that transcending star that other players want to play with. Besides him and the spaniard kid , the Knicks don't have good young players. This year's 8th pick is crucial. The Knicks need to hire a creative GM and try to maximize his assets.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,347

Post#517 » by dakomish23 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:19 pm

Idk how but we gotta pair two of DSJ Monk Frank together. Forget what Philly is doing. We need to set up our backcourt like a normal franchise.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,534

Post#518 » by Capn'O » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:49 am

god shammgod wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

I agree. That Embiid bit was mostly an aside other than that if he does stay healthy he is. that. player.

it really depends on kp. my instincts tell me he's not gonna reach that height as a player, but i'd rather wait one more year before i switch no matter how many picks or young players the sixers have.

also, i need phil not to clog up the roster with any more noahs. you might get someone really good to join kp here if he is that good but you need cap space. so no rubio. no pj tucker. no nobody.

The best teams seem to find guys everywhere in the draft. Spurs and Ws in particular but a lot of the perennially good teams (Jazz, Rockets, Sonics/Thunder, Heat, Lakers prior to Jerry Buss dying) seem to do it too. The other strategy is "Have LeBron," which I'll admit the Spurs tried a version of for a long time with "Have Tim Duncan."

Whether you cash in those assets like the Celtics did or build with them like a bunch of the other teams did is here nor there as long as you don't suck ass at it. But to me "having a good scouting department" seems to be the common denominator, aside from the Celtics case where Ainge just seems to kill it on trades but aren't that great in the draft. I guess Dallas would be the other exception as their pro-scouting is where they did most of their damage during Dirk's run.

Easier said than done but I do wonder if the Knicks don't already "have a good scouting department." We've never really given 'em a whirl. I do think Wilson is excellent based on our track record scouting Europe even before Phil. More often than not, they don't draft busts. Whatever you say about Timmy and Shump - they're above par for that pick position. Grant was a bit below. I want to see what they can do with more and better bullets (picks) in the clip.

Spoiler:
As an aside, I wonder if any front office with a mid-first rounder has ever engaged the Spurs on a draft trade right up until completion only to go "PSYCHE!!! But thanks for the tip - we're picking that guy." Holy crap, I would at least try it. They're so damn good.

To the point - I think the Knicks are gonna be pretty bad next year regardless of what they do. Bad enough to get a top 5 and the front office should embrace it. Doncic looks like that "can't miss" guy. Beyond that, I'm not sold on the perpetual tank strategy. Get a few in your clip and then take your best shot like some of those very good to great teams listed above.

With KP - gun to my head? I don't think he's an MVP level guy but I think he will be a very good two way player and as I said previously with a ceiling of a top 10 sort of player depending on the year and mileage.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#519 » by MP4LIFE » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:51 am

Synciere wrote:It only took Philly six years to get to this point. And guess what, they still haven't won anything. But yeah, moving forward they might be in better shape. No reason for us to repeat what they did and tank though.

All the reason to do what they did. It's called rebuilding.
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,414

Post#520 » by Synciere » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:54 am

MP4LIFE wrote:
Synciere wrote:It only took Philly six years to get to this point. And guess what, they still haven't won anything. But yeah, moving forward they might be in better shape. No reason for us to repeat what they did and tank though.

All the reason to do what they did. It's called rebuilding.

Meh... their rebuild took six years and they're still going to be bad most likely... I've never been the type to strive for mediocrity. It whatever floats your boat I guess.

Return to New York Knicks