This is the Formula to Beat Golden State

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,649

Re: This is the formula to beat Golden State 

Post#21 » by hype_2004 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:28 am

Patches Perry wrote:Size is so 2003

look above, my death lineup
Quiet-Dude
Analyst
And1: 1,676

Post#22 » by Quiet-Dude » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:34 am

I don't think pounding is really a good idea? It drains your bigs out and they will get killed on defense.

Besides, there are certain types of big that you will need to beat GS, TT and Love imo two really good rebounders and KD was taking rebounds from them, you will need real +6"11 footer with good standing reach to eliminate that.

What you really need is a pick and pop bigs that space the paint so guy can take advantage of their interior defense. The Spurs have an advantage because they forces KD to play the 3 and suck out on the Pop and if they play small then you will live with Iggy/whoever they put taking shots on offense. Im not sure how many team has that type of advantage.

3D guys is a non discussion, Spurs already have Green, Simmons*, Leonard, hopefully Murray develop some type of range because hes length is perfect, and I think they missing one more guy since Anderson hasn't show any improvement with his 3 point shot... George Hill can guard the likes of Curry and Klay, Wilson Chandler can play KD, Klay, Iggy even Draymond Green.

The more people sleep on the Spurs the better. Hopefully they have a sign under the sleeve that I haven't see yet but man Wilson Chandler on that Spurs team would be a problem.
Klaw basketball
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#23 » by LakerLegend » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:37 am

Quiet-Dude wrote:I don't think pounding is really a good idea? It drains your bigs out and they will get killed on defense.

Besides, there are certain types of big that you will need to beat GS, TT and Love imo two really good rebounders and KD was taking rebounds from them, you will need real +6"11 footer with good standing reach to eliminate that.

What you need is a pick and pop guy that space the paint so guy can take advantage of their interior defense. The Spurs have an advantage because they forces KD to play the 3 and if they play small then you will live with Iggy/whoever they put taking shots on offense. Im not sure how many team has that type of advantage.

3D guys is a non discussion, Spurs already have Green, Simmons*, Leonard, hopefully Murray develop some type of range because hes length is perfect, and I think they missing one more guy since Anderson hasn't show any improvement with his 3 point shot... George Hill can guard the likes of Curry and Klay, Wilson Chandler can play KD, Klay, Iggy even Draymond Green.

The more people sleep on the Spurs the better.

You need to pound the rock down low to get Green, KD, and whoever is manning the middle in foul trouble and mess around with GS rotations.
udfa
Starter
And1: 2,821

Re: This is the Formula to Beat Golden State 

Post#24 » by udfa » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:42 am

Trying to out-advantage them with size seems a strategy more likely to succeed than trying to match scoring ability or talent level. But we'll get a chance to see legit attempts at the latter with Boston and Philly.

In the 2016 Finals the Cavs were +38 in rebounding in wins and -9 in losses. Tristan Thompson averaged 11.8 RPG in wins, 8 RPG in losses. If the Sixers team comes together with good luck and someday makes a Finals vs GS, Embiid could be a real headache for the Warriors.
Quiet-Dude
Analyst
And1: 1,676

Post#25 » by Quiet-Dude » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:46 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:
Quiet-Dude wrote:I don't think pounding is really a good idea? It drains your bigs out and they will get killed on defense.

What you need is a pick and pop guy that space the paint so guy can take advantage of their interior defense. The Spurs have an advantage because they forces KD to play the 3 and if they play small then you will live with Iggy/whoever they put taking shots on offense. Im not sure how many team has that type of advantage.

The more people sleep on the Spurs the better.

You need to pound the rock down low to get Green, KD, and whoever is manning the middle in foul trouble and mess around with GS rotations.

You honestly think they will put KD on foul trouble? If anything GS is one of the worst team.you want to use that strategy, Curry, Klay, Iggy, Livingston, Green are a pain the azz, they are all.good help defenders and I have seen over and over how they bother post players, you will need superior spacing for that to work.

Bigs that can move is imo one of their weaknesses since their bigs lack mobility. Then again those bigs are in trash team.
Klaw basketball
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,309

Post#26 » by SpreeS » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:59 am

Just give Bucks two years and you will see super team which could compete with GSW and all players are drafted by this team. They have size, they can run, they can defend, guards can shoot, they are atletic. Man this is a bomb and this will explode in two years
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,884

Post#27 » by Wilfried » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:02 am

Philadelphia understands the formula
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#28 » by Warriorfan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:08 am

If Lebron came back to Cleveland and not played GM they would be in better shape.
Wiggins Le Bron Irving gets you a top seed. TT JR Schumpart are all overpaid. Maybe KD and Howard sign on.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 704

Post#29 » by Captain Ballmer » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:09 am

Put Whiteside to the Bucks and you have a case. You need capable rim protectors to deflect them. and 4 outside player who can defend 1-4. It's really hard to build a squad like this but Bucks is the closest one to achieve that.
Whiteside-Giannis-Jabari-Middleton-Brogdon= Size, Athleticsm, Length. Force the warriors for turnovers. Force them play iso's all day. It will eventally disrupt Klay,Green,Iggy. Hammer with Giannis and Whiteside on the paint while keep Shooting Good with others.

Giannis still must elevate his game to the nexl level tho. (2016 LBJ)
2023 Clippers W/L Count (44-27)
(Russ at bench 35-14)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 3-3
Without Russ 6-6
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,073

Post#30 » by Patches Perry » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:31 am

Have people not come to terms with the fact that post offense has been phased out by the NBA? They let defenders absolutely maul guys trying to post up, while contact on the perimeter is minimal.

It's a new game. You have to win with threes. Post game is dead. Let's accept it.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#31 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:04 am

People see the Warriors skill and assume that they can't rebound or play interior defense. That isn't true. If you want to abuse the Warriors inside you need great interior players and the league doesn't have many great power players or inside scorers at this time.

Stevie Adams did have his way with the Warriors but Bogut might have been injured. TT and Mozgov had success against the Warriors 2 years ago but TT did not hurt the Warriors this year. In general teams are not hurting the Warriors inside. Shaq retired.

In the playoffs fouling I think teams should knock Curry arround off the ball to try to wear down Curry's body. I hate that strategy but I think it works. Refs don't call off the ball fouls in the playoffs.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#32 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:08 am

Read on Twitter

size? Stars? 2 way?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
MoMan24
Analyst
And1: 3,615

Post#33 » by MoMan24 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:18 am

It makes sense. Just make sure you have 4 All-NBA players on your team. Three this year and one last year (Klay). 2 MVP players, you can't have the last 2 winners since GSW has the last 3 awards. Make sure they are in their primes and under 30, GSW is the only team to ever have 2 under 30 and back to back winners. Get a back court that is close to the best shooting back court in the NBA. GSW has the best in history. Make sure one of your 4 All-Stars in a perennial DPOY candidate. Make sure your 2 MVP's have scoring titles and are all time great shooters. GSW has the best and maybe second shooter ever. Make sure you have a sixth man of the year candidate and former all star coming off your bench. GSW has one who also won FMVP. Make sure you have a coach that won COY and has played under Phil and Pop and has won titles as a player and coach. I can keep going but my point here is good luck.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,061

Post#34 » by tidho » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Milwaukee is a team that gives Golden State fits with their length and defense. And the ability to run. Add some serious shooting to that, and you have your contender. Maybe one more top flight wing defender as well.

This.

The formula has been obvious for two years - athletic length.

Problem for the Cavaliers is LeBron won't play with young guys. They need defensive run and jump athletes on their bench, and instead they have slow redundant shooters.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#35 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Unfortunately, the formula to beat Golden State is to wait until they get old. There's no other combination of personnel outside of Golden State that can beat that team as long as they're all together in their prime.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,364

Post#36 » by Hipster Doofus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:42 pm

3 and D ... lol ... the silliest term in sports.

"hey, look at me, i'm a three and D' :D
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#37 » by guille_4 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:45 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Unfortunately, the formula to beat Golden State is to wait until they get old. There's no other combination of personnel outside of Golden State that can beat that team as long as they're all together in your prime.

This may be a bit extreme, but I agree with you. It's going to be tough to compete with this GSW team, it would be foolish for teams with young assets to trade their youth for more consolidated players to make a run.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,980

Post#38 » by Froob » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Bertrob wrote:New Orleans isn't going to do ****. They have two great players, then a bunch of **** and they're capped out. Oh and Jrue but who knows what hes going to do.

Now SA, who on their team is pounding the rock inside? LMA? Dude gets eaten up by Draymond. Pau is done. This formula works in theory but no team has the personnel to put it into use.

Now if AD becomes available next off season if this Boogie thing doesn't work out....somebody may have two top 5 picks to offer them. Anyways, here's my formula for beating them
Spoiler:

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#39 » by 12footrim » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Lakerfan17 wrote:Cleveland tried to beat Golden State at their game, fast-paced scoring and 3's.

No one is going to beat Golden State that way, especially when you lack two way players like the Cavs.

So how do you do it?

1. SIZE, slowing down the pace, pounding the rock inside, crashing the boards, protecting the rim

and

2. THREE AND D PLAYERS.

The size is going to exploit Golden States biggest weakness, pounding them down low and cleaning the boards.

You're not going to outshoot GS from 3, and you're not going to completely shut them down either.

But what about a less extreme COMBO of the two? Hence the 3 and D players, which there are plenty of.

Who is in the best position to do this? San Antonio and New Orleans.

Point is, I don't think it's near impossible to beat them in the next 3-4 years like everyone says.

3 pointers are the great equalizer. That's really undisputable. Where I agree they went wrong IMO was pushing the pace. I'm not saying to pass up fastbreak opportunities but pushing the pace and giving a team like Golden State more possiessions was pretty dumb IMO. Plus you need to try to rest your players some as well. You only want to push the ball if you have a talent advantage or a lot more depth. Otherwise it is stupid for a lesser talented team without those things to give more possiessions.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#40 » by 12footrim » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:48 pm

Canadian6ersFan wrote:3 and D ... lol ... the silliest term in sports.

"hey, look at me, i'm a three and D' :D

It's really the two most valuable skills and sought after role in the game at this point. Wings that can both shoot well from three and defend aren't really growing on trees.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to The General Board