Thon Maker: Future MVP?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Is Thon Maker a future MVP?

Yes.
18%
No.
82%

Total votes: 169

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: Thon Maker: Future MVP? 

Post#41 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:23 am

JJ_PR wrote:

Takeaways from this video:

1. Thon Maker is really good.
2. He's a workhorse. His team actually had to ban him from practice one time due to concerns about him potentially burning out.
3. His teammates respect him so much that they've already given him a leadership role.

Watch out for this guy. He's gonna be special.

I do like Thon though, and think he was a good pick. Same with Brogdon.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
JunkYardDog6ix
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,378

Post#42 » by JunkYardDog6ix » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:31 am

Effercon wrote:
Pablo Escobar wrote:
Effercon wrote:No, not even close. To me, his ceiling is that of Andrea Bargnani (and that's not an insult, contrary to popular belief - in his best season, Bargnani averaged 17/6 with 1.4 blocks on 47/37 shooting as a jump-shooting big).

For Milwaukee fans, lets hope that Thon doesn't become an absolute bust. Bargs was absolute trash.

He's only a bust because he was the #1 pick. Thon was the #10 pick, so a career similar to what Bargs had would be seen as just about average for his draft spot.

Have you watched Bargnani play at all ? He's a terrible basketball player, you have a better chance of winning if he plays 0 minutes for your team
Ichimoku
Junior
And1: 104

Post#43 » by Ichimoku » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:45 am

Promezclan wrote:
Ichimoku wrote:The answer is that you never know. It is possible.

I remember when in 2000 I wrote that Dirk Nowitzki might be the future MVP and most of the comments were that he can be a better version of Detlef Schrempf...

So you never know. I like Thon Maker, very positive impression after last playoffs :-)

Difference is no one thinks Thon Maker is nearly as good as Detlef Schrempf, who averaged 19, 9.5 and 6. So yes, you can know, why wouldn't you be able to?

OK, but Nowitzki is 1999 and 2000 was still far away from MVP level. Maker is even more behind this numbers (in the first season), but it doesn't matter. We can say he might be a future Mutombo (just like Dirk was supposed to be Schrempf).
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,834

Post#44 » by GrandTheftRondo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:50 am

Spintown wrote:
Bertrob wrote:I've seen nothing that makes me think he'll be a future MVP. Good player sure, but unless you win an MVP you don't deserve (Rose), usually MVPs are reserved for the truly elite like the Lebrons and Currys. Thats a huge step

No one thought curry would be MVP when he was the 7th pick out of Davidson.

It was pretty obvious in year one of his career that Curry could be a damn good player. He was probably stiff not to win ROY (Evans was just a bit better).

Maker actually surprised me this year after skipping college and coming straight into the NBA. I was expecting another Exum situation, but he actually showed some things.

Still the jump to where he is now and MVP would be a ridiculously big step compared to the one Curry made.

I think people forget how good Curry was in his early NBA days. He improved a lot sure, but he also had a lot from day one. The ankle injury just derailed him for a while there.

I think Maker will be a very handy starter, maybe at best like a Gobert.
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#45 » by Rastas » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:55 am

NBAFan93 wrote:Didn't he not even play basketball at all until like 5 years ago? Wasn't he discovered playing soccer in Africa or something like that? Dude probably hasn't even tapped half of his potential at this point and has already made it to the NBA. I think he will really be something else in 2-3 years - I can see him being another KD type player.

Close - I believe it's closer to 6 yrs basketball for him now and yes he was 1st scouted playing soccer in Australia - moved there as a refuge from Sudan as a youngster.
It's that only 6yrs of basketball fact that has his future improvement potential a lot higher than others his age - his main weakness is his lower body - really needs to gain weight and strength - everything else is looking promising.
MVP may be a stretch , but a future allstar seems likely.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,091

Post#46 » by Mk0 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:56 am

The guy who made the video is obnoxious. Really difficult to watch.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#47 » by lars_rosenberg » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:20 am

JunkYardDog6ix wrote:
Effercon wrote:
Pablo Escobar wrote:
For Milwaukee fans, lets hope that Thon doesn't become an absolute bust. Bargs was absolute trash.

He's only a bust because he was the #1 pick. Thon was the #10 pick, so a career similar to what Bargs had would be seen as just about average for his draft spot.

Have you watched Bargnani play at all ? He's a terrible basketball player, you have a better chance of winning if he plays 0 minutes for your team

Bargnani was absolutely terrible on defense, but as an offensive player he was fine. Decent shooter for his size.
If Thon develops Bargs offensive game + good defense he's going to be a very good player.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#48 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:32 am

Lets all vote yes
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#49 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:33 am

MVP only? Why not also DPOY?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
freestyler34
Pro Prospect
And1: 459

Post#50 » by freestyler34 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:38 am

JJ_PR wrote:3. His teammates respect him so much that they've already given him a leadership role.

Its because they are all aware of that hes way older than them.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#51 » by AussieBuck » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:32 am

Something like a version of Piston's Sheed will do.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,269

Post#52 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:43 am

AussieBuck wrote:Something like a version of Piston's Sheed will do.

A Piston's Sheed pretty much had the highest BB IQ in the league. I'm not saying Thon is not bright, but I think we need to know his correct age to properly determine where he is with his development and basketball understanding. Was he in his early 20's beating high school kids 3-4 years younger?
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#53 » by AussieBuck » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:07 pm

Yuri Vaultin wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Something like a version of Piston's Sheed will do.

A Piston's Sheed pretty much had the highest BB IQ in the league. I'm not saying Thon is not bright, but I think we need to know his correct age to properly determine where he is with his development and basketball understanding. Was he in his early 20's beating high school kids 3-4 years younger?

Doesn't have to be the same guy, Sheed can be smarter, Thon is quicker than Giannis at 7'1. He covers an insane amount of ground and has shown a lot of promise particularly as a pick and roll defender, has awesome defensive feet. He needs reps against pros though given that before this season he'd only played against high schoolers. Has a beautiful three point stroke too.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,134

Post#54 » by Froob » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Thon the Maker, he just keeps getting better with age.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,835

Post#55 » by Sofia » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:22 pm

The guy in video is the worst. That bull YouTube star constant cut style of editing is trash and I can't take anyone who does it seriously, regardless of what they're talking about
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub

Return to The General Board