Should/Will Draymond Green be a HOFer?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Will/Should Draymond Green be enshrined in the HOF if he performs as expected?

He will deservedly make the HOF.
54%
He will undeservedly make the HOF.
13%
He will not make the HOF despite deserving it.
3%
He will justifiably NOT make the HOF.
30%

Total votes: 195

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,678

Re: Should/Will Draymond Green be a HOFer? 

Post#81 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Robert Horry vs Satch Sanders. Horry was a very good all arround player when he was young, Sanders was a good player for his era but his era had Inferior ball players compare to Horry's era. Sanders got 8 rings with one team. Horry got 7 rings with different teams. Big shot Bob hit some big shots but was not a big scorer. sanders was not a big scorer. Both players played power forward and small forward.

Sanders is in the Hall of Fame. Horry isn't in the Hall.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,464

Post#82 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:26 pm

r3demption wrote:How many 4th options have made the Hall of Fame? Anyone know off hand for reference ?

Dikembe Mutombo. He wasnt even a top 5 option for a lot of his career.
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,537

Post#83 » by Xherdan 23 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:28 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
I don't think he is overrated

Draymond's ability to be a good LeBron Level point guard on offense

And this is why people call him overrated.

Come on man - Draymond is a defensive god and a perfect match on the Dubs but he's not a LeBron level PG.
He creates most of his opportunities in a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 after Curry gets double teamed.
Iggy is just as good as a playmaker if not better and he's also miles off LeBron level.

Draymond vs LeBron as a playmaker:
Draymond for the last to years per 100 possesions has had similar about as many assists as LeBron.
LeBron has the advantage of having the ball in his hands all the time.
Draymond has the advantage of having more better open people to pass to.
I consider those two factors to sort of cancel each other out.

LeBron may have more pretty passes but pretty passes are not necessarily better than other passes that get the job done.
I think Bird was a better passer than Magic but Bird's assist numbers are lower than LeBron and Draymond's. Bird did not have the ball as much as LeBron and did not tend to have as many open teammates as DrYmond has.

Bottom line for me is that although I consider LeBron an overrated passer if people are going to promote LeBron as GOAT based on LeBron's passing then they should promote Draymond for Hall of fame based on Draymond's passing. At least recognize that Draymond is either a LeBron level passer or just a notch below LeBron as a passer.

LeBron has been the same playmaker for 10 years despite having really bad teammates in some of them.
LeBron could take any team in the league and he'd still be the same player.

Put Draymond in Orlando or Detroit and tell me they're similar playmakers.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut
Xherdan 23
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,537

Post#84 » by Xherdan 23 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:30 pm

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:He should go to a team and be the main guy, then we can fully judge him. Being the 4th best player on a team should not get you into the HOF. I would take KD, Curry and Klay over him anyday.

If he can go to a team, be the head guy, and lead them to the playoffs and be like he is, we will talk. Until then, no way. It's embarrassing that

9pts per game, 6.8 rebounds, 4.1 assists, with a poor 43% FG for a PF, and 33% from 3, Great defender and leader or not, if that's a HOF player then the HOF is a joke.

Fortunately he has many years to prove himself more worthy.

Ben Wallace's numbers are worse and I'd still argue he should've been first ballot.

Do you think Joe Johnson should get in? He certainly has the numbers.
What about Rodman? What's the difference between him and Green?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,678

Post#85 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Xherdan 23 wrote:
I don't think he is overrated

Draymond's ability to be a good LeBron Level point guard on offense

Come on man - Draymond is a defensive god and a perfect match on the Dubs but he's not a LeBron level PG.
He creates most of his opportunities in a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 after Curry gets double teamed.
Iggy is just as good as a playmaker if not better and he's also miles off LeBron level.

Draymond for the last to years per 100 possesions has had similar about as many assists as LeBron.

LeBron may have more pretty passes but pretty passes are not necessarily better than other passes that get the job done.
I think Bird was a better passer than Magic but Bird's assist numbers are lower than LeBron and Draymond's. Bird did not have the ball as much as LeBron and did not tend to have as many open teammates as DrYmond has.

Bottom line for me is that although I consider LeBron an overrated passer if people are going to promote LeBron as GOAT based on LeBron's passing then they should promote Draymond for Hall of fame based on Draymond's passing. At least recognize that Draymond is either a LeBron level passer or just a notch below LeBron as a passer.

LeBron has been the same playmaker for 10 years despite having really bad teammates in some of them.

How many minutes per game does LeBron have the ball?
How many minutes per game does Draymond have the ball?
LeBron has 6.5 assists per 36 minutes over his career peaking at 8.3 assists per 36 minutes this last year. LeBron also has good people to pass to this last year.
Draymond has had 7.7 assist per 36 minutes for the last 2 years. Draymond definitely has the ball a lot less Han LeBron has the ball.
LeBron draws doubles as a scoring threat and that helps him pass. Draymond as a scoring threat doesn't help him pass in the same way that LeBron as a scoring threat helps LeBron pass. Draymond is helped by the chaos that Curry and Klay create by moving without the ball.

Draymond has 10.3 assists per 100 possesions while LeBron has 11.5 Assists per 100 possesions in LeBrons best assist year.
Again Draymond has the ball much less than LeBron.

If you put Draymond on another team the point guard probably plays point guard and Draymond has the ball even less he does with the Warriors but if Draymond has the ball Draymond is going get assists.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#86 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:16 pm

Xherdan 23 wrote:
Ben Wallace's numbers are worse and I'd still argue he should've been first ballot.

Do you think Joe Johnson should get in? He certainly has the numbers.
What about Rodman? What's the difference between him and Green?

Ben Wallace was a 4 time DPOY was he not? How many does Draymond have so far? 0 . Ben was also 5 time 1st team all NBA D. Draymond will likely get there though I will give him that, but he isn't yet so we'll see.

I would not vote Joe Johnson in though personally.

Dennis Rodman, of course, he was DPOY two times. All NBA D team 7 times. 5 titles, 7 time NBA rebounding champion. He shot over 50% in his career, and averaged 15 rebs per game and 8 pts.

Draymond may have already peaked even. He has yet to have the normal decline that legendary players have once they get later into their career which start to lesson their career averages.
MoMan24
Analyst
And1: 3,615

Post#87 » by MoMan24 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:02 am

Xherdan 23 wrote:

How many minutes per game does LeBron have the ball?
How many minutes per game does Draymond have the ball?
LeBron has 6.5 assists per 36 minutes over his career peaking at 8.3 assists per 36 minutes this last year. LeBron also has good people to pass to this last year.
Draymond has had 7.7 assist per 36 minutes for the last 2 years. Draymond definitely has the ball a lot less Han LeBron has the ball.
LeBron draws doubles as a scoring threat and that helps him pass. Draymond as a scoring threat doesn't help him pass in the same way that LeBron as a scoring threat helps LeBron pass. Draymond is helped by the chaos that Curry and Klay create by moving without the ball.

Draymond has 10.3 assists per 100 possesions while LeBron has 11.5 Assists per 100 possesions in LeBrons best assist year.
Again Draymond has the ball much less than LeBron.

If you put Draymond on another team the point guard probably plays point guard and Draymond has the ball even less he does with the Warriors but if Draymond has the ball Draymond is going get assists.

If Draymond had the ball has much as James does his team would be worse off. If James had the ball has much as Draymond his team would be worse off. There is a reason they have the ball in their hands as much as they do. One player has a limited and very defined skill set. The other player can do everything at a very high level and has been the leagues best nearing a decade.
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#88 » by celtics543 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:20 pm

If Ben Wallace isn't in then Draymond shouldn't go in. Big Ben was the best defensive player in the NBA for a solid 5 year stretch. Draymond has the cushiest job in all of sports right now as the 4th option on an all time great team. They don't ask him to do anything he can't do. If he comes up big everyone remembers him and if he doesn't show up then no one really pays much attention because all the focus is on Curry/Durant/Thompson.

He's got a lot of career left so maybe my opinion changes but right now he's not a hall of fame caliber player. He was compared to Wes Unseld but Wes was a league MVP. Draymond isn't even the MVP of his team. Heck he's not even the best forward on his team. He's fortunate right now to be in the spot he's in. I'd like to see how he does as the best player on his own team.
dshearn
Sixth Man
And1: 2,934

Post#89 » by dshearn » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:23 pm

should he? No

Will he? Maybe....

He is a really role player that fits.
Percentsign
Senior
And1: 652

Post#90 » by Percentsign » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:36 pm

I haven't looked hard at his numbers yet, but I strongly believe in impressions:

When you watch Draymond play, do you feel that you're watching a HOFer? When you turn off the TV after a Warriors game, do you say, "WOW. That Draymond Green is an all-time great."

I don't.

I see him as a strong role player, fit for the Hall of Very Good.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#91 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:47 pm

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:He should go to a team and be the main guy, then we can fully judge him. Being the 4th best player on a team should not get you into the HOF. I would take KD, Curry and Klay over him anyday.

If he can go to a team, be the head guy, and lead them to the playoffs and be like he is, we will talk. Until then, no way. It's embarrassing that

9pts per game, 6.8 rebounds, 4.1 assists, with a poor 43% FG for a PF, and 33% from 3, Great defender and leader or not, if that's a HOF player then the HOF is a joke.

Fortunately he has many years to prove himself more worthy.

His 2pt % is around 50%...is that bad?

Also he's averaging like 12/7/7 plus the last few years plus playing world class defence. I think those are not really close to HOF numbers without the defence, but when you include that, yes its HOF worthy.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#92 » by BarneyGumble » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Is Byron Scott a HOF? How about Toni Kukoc? Because both those guys rode coat tails just as well as Draymond does....
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,494

Post#93 » by codydaze » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:47 pm

dlts20 wrote:Honestly I could make the HOF in basketball. They let anyone in. I don't even know how they can fit all the people in. Basketball is the most watered down HOF and it's not even close

They still haven't let Webber in :(
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#94 » by HurricaneKid » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:50 pm

He has been 8th, 2nd, and 4th in the last three years in ESPN's xRAPM and his raw RAPM #s would likely be far better than that. He was the emotional leader on two title teams and they are all but locks to win the next two as well. He will win the DPoY this year after coming in second the last two seasons and he will be All NBA for the second year in a row. That is WAY more than needed for entry into the HoF.

I think he is a dirty player. I think he should get 2-3X as many techs as he actually gets. But HoF? Of course.

I do wonder a little bit if KD ends up taking more of the PnRs from him moving forward because that could have enormous impact on his full stat lines.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
hongdayuan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,793

Post#95 » by hongdayuan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:00 pm

DROB27 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I love reading these threads :lol: the salt toward current great players is hilarious

There is no salt ?? He's an overrated player .. plan and simple

Honest question: would you swap LMA for green straight up right now?
r3demption
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#96 » by r3demption » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:18 pm

hongdayuan wrote:
DROB27 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I love reading these threads :lol: the salt toward current great players is hilarious

What does that prove ? I don't think LMA should make the HOF either lol.

Duke4life831 wrote:
r3demption wrote:How many 4th options have made the Hall of Fame? Anyone know off hand for reference ?

While I don't agree with him being in there. It was a highlight if you somehow dunked on the man. If Ben Wallace or Sheed make it then maybe Draymond should too.
Fico92
Sixth Man
And1: 2,361

Post#97 » by Fico92 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:25 pm

Lettuce brew real stew...

Too soon to tell.

[Fico92]
AmusingFiddle
Rookie
And1: 315

Post#98 » by AmusingFiddle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:29 pm

I didn't pick any of the answers. I am not sold one way or the other. I think its too early to tell.
CeraVe
Junior
And1: 230

Post#99 » by CeraVe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:39 pm

r3demption wrote:
hongdayuan wrote:
DROB27 wrote:

What does that prove ? I don't think LMA should make the HOF either lol.

Duke4life831 wrote:

While I don't agree with him being in there. It was a highlight if you somehow dunked on the man. If Ben Wallace or Sheed make it then maybe Draymond should too.

Yeah, because Draymond is as good and impactful as Rasheed or Ben Wallace.
Professional sports is idolatry.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#100 » by 12footrim » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:40 pm

He just averaged

14ppg
9.5rpg
7.4apg
1.5spg
1.4 bpg
and shot 50% on a 73 win team will being the defensive player of the year runner up.

He cam back this year and averaged

10ppg
8rpg
7apg
2spg
1.4bpg

and will probably win defensive player of the year.

I don't see how he isn't deserving the way he fills up a box score and the key role he plays on that team and particularly with the defense when he plays center and allows them to play their death linups. He's a key part of some of the best statistical line ups in NBA history and really a main reason it works.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource

Return to The General Board