Knicks Had Opportunity To Sign Chris Paul If Not For Alienation Of Carmelo

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Knicks Had Opportunity To Sign Chris Paul If Not For Alienation Of Carmelo 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:59 pm

The New York Knicks are attempting to part ways with Carmelo Anthony but there is an alternate scenario in which they pursue Chris Paul in free agency selling him on Anthony and Kristaps Porzingis. 

"Phil Jackson and Carmelo Anthony should have been walking arm in arm to go greet Chris Paul for free agency," said Adrian Wojnarowski. "There's an opportunity to get Chris Paul on this market. He may stay in L.A. and part of it might be because there's nowhere else that makes perfect sense that is worth giving up the money for, but he may go. New York should have been in the Chris Paul conversation.

"Whatever you think of Carmelo, he's extremely popular with that elite group of players.

"I think Phil has done such a disservice to the chances the Knicks have of getting involved with anybody. Carmelo is a cautionary tale of why you don't want to go there."

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/The Vertical

yourewrong
Sophomore
And1: 30

Re: Knicks Had Opportunity To Sign Chris Paul If Not For Alienation Of Carmelo 

Post#2 » by yourewrong » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:08 pm

I'd rather just dump Melo and begin moving towards the future with KP as the focal point
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#3 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:16 pm

Oh, are they gonna sign another old PG?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,631

Post#4 » by DE FENSE » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:24 pm

Yeah no thanks.
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#5 » by FreeSpiritNY » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:07 am

im good thats all we need a player who cant get past the second round and anther player who is a black hole.

Not to mention they are both aged. EASY PASS.

CP3 please take melo and lebron with you it will be funny to see y'all loose to the warriors and still say your not on a super team and need more help.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#6 » by Cookin Baskets » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:42 am

Ha don't make me laugh the knicks are worse then the clippers by far. CP3 needs to go to the spurs.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
knicksup19
Pro Prospect
And1: 200

Post#7 » by knicksup19 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:08 am

Woj said this as if it's a bad thing, good job phillast thing we need is a gain pg that will help us get best in 6 games round 2 and get crappy draft picks .trade melo rebuild through draft wait out Cavs and gsw it's that simple
ImageThe big three in the House!!! LOL]
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#8 » by Rek » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:13 am

So, if Phil and Melo were on good terms that means that the Knicks would magically have a ton of cap room to be able to afford CP3? Sure - great journalism... Any other nifty snippets that someone's agent needs to leak out to the press regardless of how ridiculous?
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#9 » by chipchipperson » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:13 am

Not only Is this a bad reason not to move on from melo, it's also a ridiculous scenario that would never have happened anyway.
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#10 » by jstudabaka » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:43 am

What a dumb report by Woj. Oh gee, we missed a chance to win 40 games and set our rebuild back a few years. NAOOOOO!

And from Paul's perspective, who needs Pop and Kawhi when you've got Hornacek and 33-year-old Carmelo? Yeah, NY BLEW IT.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#11 » by Elnegron » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:14 am

Nobody wants to play triangle anymore. Knicks will never be good as long as that clown is in town and am not talking about the other clown melo
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#12 » by nedleeds » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:58 am

Damn could we have gotten Dewhine Wade also at $20 million ? Sign them all for 3+ more years to not win a title and wheel them into a hospital, while KP wants to kill himself. Fake news.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:29 am

knicksup19 wrote:Woj said this as if it's a bad thing, good job phillast thing we need is a gain pg that will help us get best in 6 games round 2 and get crappy draft picks .trade melo rebuild through draft wait out Cavs and gsw it's that simple

Well it's certainly not a good thing if the Knicks can't attract quality free agents because they don't like how some players are being treated. Maybe not in the summer of 2017 but at some point that will be important
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,212

Post#14 » by Clemenza » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:08 am

I always thought in the back of my mind that CP3 could've considered the Knicks if they had their sh*t together
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#15 » by The_Hater » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:56 am

Clemenza wrote:I always thought in the back of my mind that CP3 could've considered the Knicks if they had their sh*t together

So would have considered them in 1995? When he was just 10?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Post#16 » by colaroaster » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:59 am

cp3 has 2-3 yrs left of elite play - he better be careful to what he wants his legacy to look like

imo pelicans or celtics might be his best destination
jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#17 » by IWishIWasHarden » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:23 am

Phil is looking to rebuild from young players and not just bring in a title contender for a year or two. I don't think Phil really cares about your opinion or Chris Paul joining the Knicks.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#18 » by MitchB3 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:46 am

Carmelo did it to myself though? People forget that Melo was a free agent and had the opportunity to leave but didn't want too, why? Because the Knicks can offer him more money. There has to be some part of you that knew that you and Phil wouldn't work, there are certain systems you know that won't fit your game and Melo, the Triangle isn't your game.
MrNYYNYGNYK
Junior
And1: 20

Post#19 » by MrNYYNYGNYK » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:56 am

It's a pipe dream no way Knicks would have enough money to pay CP3...nobody is taking Noah's contract off the Knicks books :o
IkeDoIt
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#20 » by IkeDoIt » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:07 pm

MitchB3 wrote:Carmelo did it to myself though? People forget that Melo was a free agent and had the opportunity to leave but didn't want too, why? Because the Knicks can offer him more money. There has to be some part of you that knew that you and Phil wouldn't work, there are certain systems you know that won't fit your game and Melo, the Triangle isn't your game.

This goes both ways. Phil Jackson and the Knicks organization knows Carmelo wasn't and will never be a fit for the Triangle. But Phil chose to give him almost max money and a No Trade Clause. Teams don't have to sign or resign free agents just because the player wants to sign there. Now Phil is having problems and now Porzingis the Unicorn, whom he wants to rebuild around, isn't happy and may leave in 2 seasons after seeing 2 losing seasons and the horrible treatment of players.
Phil Jackson took the 2nd Seed in the East and turned it into this... think about that

Return to Wiretap Discussion