ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread: UFC 231 Holloway vs Ortega finally!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,487

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 207 pg 6) 

Post#381 » by j4remi » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:22 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:
I have a really hard time seeing Connor fighting in the UFC ever again, unless the UFC are willing to pay him at least $50 million a fight. If they do pay him that amount I see Connor being showcased once a year as a must see PPV event. In addition, with McGregor Productions co-promoting the boxing match, I can see him pushing that as a stipulation for anything UFC related.

From what i read looks like Conner is getting $75 million with a cut of the PPV. It is believed of that $75 million Conner will see 20% with the remaining going to UFC/managers/training partners/taxes/commission. It will be interesting to see what his cut of the PPV will be.

Also I dont believe he has to be repped by Reebok during this fight so he could really cash in another $20-25 million in marketing endorsements for this 1 time match.

Not sure about the sponsorship portion which could throw the numbers and not sure about the PPV points situation. But there had been rumors he was North of 10 mil on the Alvarez fight, so 15 wouldn't necessarily preclude a return. Especially with WME struggling to establish and keep stars happy. The other numbers could shift it, but PPV points would help as Conor stands to increase his drawing power. The fact that Dana negotiated this deal and is now pushing Conor as the P4P top dog in the Mighty Mouse argument gives me the feeling that Dana is confident they'll have Conor back in the octagon by whatever means they'll need and since they know his numbers, that confidence is telling imho.

bringbackhoffa wrote:Should he come back I dont really see it clearing up the LW picture right away. I see his first fight being the trilogy vs Nate Diaz and then should GSP beat Bisping, I see GSP relinquishing the 185 pound belt and facing the winner of Maia vs Woodley for the WW belt.

I don't think Diaz sniffs that fight right away. Conor is the LW champion with an obligation to defend and Nate hasn't earned a shot in any way, shape or form. The UFC wants that match, which is why they pushed Tony Ferguson vs Nate, but Diaz not taking the fight leaves little to no wiggle room to make Nate the next title fight barring an injury to Tony. Even then, Nate wouldn't be the most qualified for a title shot and the UFC is fairly spiteful (ie: "let's threaten to fold a division if the champ won't do what we want!") and wouldn't want to set a precedent with Nate.

As for GSP, the last update from Dana is that Bisping's knee and GSP's eye combine to mean that title fight is off. Romero and Whitaker are fighting for an interim belt. That means Bisping's next defense pretty much HAS to be the winner of that fight. Dana has said GSP will fight for the WW title when he's ready; so I'm expecting GSP vs Woodley next. That effectively takes Conor's chance to fight for the WW belt next off the table and makes a LW title defense the most logical next opportunity. But that's all based on what we're told now and things have been shifting so who knows.

bringbackhoffa wrote:Should GSP win the WW fight and Conner beat Diaz they will likely be off at the same time, which will lead to the super fight of all fights with GSP vs Conner at 170 with Conner going for a 3rd belt. If GSP beats Conner at 170 pounds I see a rematch between the 2 at 155 pounds with GSP now going for a 3rd belt

This all does add up but it's based on GSP and Conor winning fights that aren't guaranteed to be booked. I don't think GSP/Conor happens at two different weights in row unless the first fight is super close or extremely entertaining even if they do meet and I'd suggest that (based on what I've laid out above); the line-up for Conor would be Ferguson, Nate, Superfight...and I say superfight, not strictly GSP because GSP is one loss away from retirement according to his own words but there is another name that comes to mind...Max Holloway. So if GSP falls through and Max keeps rolling, I'd be surprised if his name doesn't come up for a rematch as he's undefeated in the four years since losing to Conor, cleared the whole division and took Conor to decision unlike anyone else in the FW division's history (UFC only, I'm not sure about before that).

bringbackhoffa wrote:hence khabib and tony being screwed until 2019 at the earliest

Tony is really the one getting screwed badly. Almost gets Khabib, but he misses weight. Almost gets Nate, but he's not interested for no apparent reason but money. Then Conor is chasing Floyd so no love there. Just gimme a rematch of the epic Edson fight and hopefully Tony is still number one contender whenever Conor decides to either fight again or retire...Tony deserves a title shot no matter who the opponent winds up being. Khabib, I just wanna see make weight. I'd love a jump to 170 and match with Maia though...best two grapplers P4P in MMA imo (also two of my favorite guys). That fight is massively unlikely though.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#382 » by bringbackhoffa » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:16 pm

j4remi wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:
I have a really hard time seeing Connor fighting in the UFC ever again, unless the UFC are willing to pay him at least $50 million a fight. If they do pay him that amount I see Connor being showcased once a year as a must see PPV event. In addition, with McGregor Productions co-promoting the boxing match, I can see him pushing that as a stipulation for anything UFC related.

From what i read looks like Conner is getting $75 million with a cut of the PPV. It is believed of that $75 million Conner will see 20% with the remaining going to UFC/managers/training partners/taxes/commission. It will be interesting to see what his cut of the PPV will be.

Also I dont believe he has to be repped by Reebok during this fight so he could really cash in another $20-25 million in marketing endorsements for this 1 time match.

Not sure about the sponsorship portion which could throw the numbers and not sure about the PPV points situation. But there had been rumors he was North of 10 mil on the Alvarez fight, so 15 wouldn't necessarily preclude a return. Especially with WME struggling to establish and keep stars happy. The other numbers could shift it, but PPV points would help as Conor stands to increase his drawing power. The fact that Dana negotiated this deal and is now pushing Conor as the P4P top dog in the Mighty Mouse argument gives me the feeling that Dana is confident they'll have Conor back in the octagon by whatever means they'll need and since they know his numbers, that confidence is telling imho.

bringbackhoffa wrote:Should he come back I dont really see it clearing up the LW picture right away. I see his first fight being the trilogy vs Nate Diaz and then should GSP beat Bisping, I see GSP relinquishing the 185 pound belt and facing the winner of Maia vs Woodley for the WW belt.

I don't think Diaz sniffs that fight right away. Conor is the LW champion with an obligation to defend and Nate hasn't earned a shot in any way, shape or form. The UFC wants that match, which is why they pushed Tony Ferguson vs Nate, but Diaz not taking the fight leaves little to no wiggle room to make Nate the next title fight barring an injury to Tony. Even then, Nate wouldn't be the most qualified for a title shot and the UFC is fairly spiteful (ie: "let's threaten to fold a division if the champ won't do what we want!") and wouldn't want to set a precedent with Nate.

As for GSP, the last update from Dana is that Bisping's knee and GSP's eye combine to mean that title fight is off. Romero and Whitaker are fighting for an interim belt. That means Bisping's next defense pretty much HAS to be the winner of that fight. Dana has said GSP will fight for the WW title when he's ready; so I'm expecting GSP vs Woodley next. That effectively takes Conor's chance to fight for the WW belt next off the table and makes a LW title defense the most logical next opportunity. But that's all based on what we're told now and things have been shifting so who knows.

bringbackhoffa wrote:Should GSP win the WW fight and Conner beat Diaz they will likely be off at the same time, which will lead to the super fight of all fights with GSP vs Conner at 170 with Conner going for a 3rd belt. If GSP beats Conner at 170 pounds I see a rematch between the 2 at 155 pounds with GSP now going for a 3rd belt

This all does add up but it's based on GSP and Conor winning fights that aren't guaranteed to be booked. I don't think GSP/Conor happens at two different weights in row unless the first fight is super close or extremely entertaining even if they do meet and I'd suggest that (based on what I've laid out above); the line-up for Conor would be Ferguson, Nate, Superfight...and I say superfight, not strictly GSP because GSP is one loss away from retirement according to his own words but there is another name that comes to mind...Max Holloway. So if GSP falls through and Max keeps rolling, I'd be surprised if his name doesn't come up for a rematch as he's undefeated in the four years since losing to Conor, cleared the whole division and took Conor to decision unlike anyone else in the FW division's history (UFC only, I'm not sure about before that).

bringbackhoffa wrote:hence khabib and tony being screwed until 2019 at the earliest

Tony is really the one getting screwed badly. Almost gets Khabib, but he misses weight. Almost gets Nate, but he's not interested for no apparent reason but money. Then Conor is chasing Floyd so no love there. Just gimme a rematch of the epic Edson fight and hopefully Tony is still number one contender whenever Conor decides to either fight again or retire...Tony deserves a title shot no matter who the opponent winds up being. Khabib, I just wanna see make weight. I'd love a jump to 170 and match with Maia though...best two grapplers P4P in MMA imo (also two of my favorite guys). That fight is massively unlikely though.

Your points are all logical however I do not believe a single word that comes out of Danas mouth anymore. If Bisping truly wants to fight GSP, they will make that happen in Oct/Nov (expect them to state winner of Whitetaker/Romero has a minor "injury" and cannot fight in Oct/Nov, meanwhile they get paid sitting on the sideline).

As you mentioned WME struggling both financially and keeping fighters happy Bisping vs GSP would garner more PPV buys then either, Bisping vs Whitaker/Romero, or GSP vs Maia/Woodley. Bisping vs GSP is for most wins inside the octagon, Bisping would probably give the UFC an ultimatum that he would want the same money he would of receive facing GSP if he was forced to face Whitaker/Romero.

Having 2 185 belts in play is weird but stranger things have happened. I know Bisping stated he wants 2 more fights before retiring however I guess the UFC can talk him into retiring after the fight with GSP. So if Bisping beats GSP, he retires and the belt he holds is now irrelevant and Whitaker/Romero is undisputed champ, if GSP wins he automatically vacates once again making Whitaker/Romero undisputed champ.

I also believe Khabib vs Tony happens later this year for the interim 155 belt with financial guarantees in place should 1 fighter pull out. I just dont see Conner fighting either of these guys as they are not PPV draws, and he would have to do all of the heavy lifting which he did not mind doing in the past, but now he can pick and choose his fights. I see a possibility of him fighting Amir Khan who is now training MMA in the octagon prior to ever facing Khabib or Tony.
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,777

Post#383 » by spree8 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:08 pm

Read on Twitter
H_20
RealGM
And1: 769

Post#384 » by H_20 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:24 pm

Easy win for Mayweather and im a big McGregor fan.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#385 » by Jose7 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Too much money for this not to happen.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#386 » by newyorker4ever » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:24 pm

Matt Hughes air lifted to a hospital after colliding with a moving train. I have no idea how this collision happened cause all it says is he collided with a moving train but hopefully it's not as bad as it sounds.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,882

Post#387 » by matchman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:16 pm

RDA vs Saffidiene, here we go for ufc Singapore
Are you fans of the team or the player?
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#388 » by matchman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:37 pm

A good 3 round fight, glad to see RDA adopting the weight gain.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#389 » by matchman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Covington use wrestling to bore Kim to death lol.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#390 » by matchman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Tybura got too much power for Arlovski, but much respect for Arlovski to escape that round 1.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,356

Post#391 » by NoStatsGuy » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:40 pm

should be easy fight for floyd. however, i dont count out the lucky punch. fathertime is still undefeated.

can floyd recover like he used to if he gets hit? BIG IF? i dont know. one thing is for sure, i wont buy this fight
im bout dat action boss
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#392 » by matchman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Holm vs Correira

In the 3 fights previously in Singapore, all are won by lower ranked players, so is it Correira's turn?
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#393 » by matchman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:10 pm

So I guess it wrong lol.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#394 » by j4remi » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Man, talk about a weak card. Even Holm/Correia was turtle paced right up until that headkick finally landed. Tybura and Covington both Jon Fitched their ways to victory. I missed RDA and Saffeidine so I didn't even get the treat on that, but I'm sure the card will be available soon. I also have to watch Caceres, I'm a fan of dude.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#395 » by CjayC » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:31 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:

Part of the deal was that he had to finish out his UFC obligations which I believe are 3 more fights or lose his purse from the Mayweather match. Dana already said he'll be back by the end of the year.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,613

Post#396 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:38 am

What a shyt fight this was. It reminded me of why I don't enjoy watching Holly Holm fight. But watching Bethe get kicked upside the head after all that trash talking made it worth the wait. I love it when this happens.

bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#397 » by bringbackhoffa » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:18 pm

CjayC wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:

Part of the deal was that he had to finish out his UFC obligations which I believe are 3 more fights or lose his purse from the Mayweather match. Dana already said he'll be back by the end of the year.

You cannot force someone to fight or make the purse from one fight contingent on fighting future fights. Conner could easily retire or could hold out for more money for each proposed fight the UFC presents him. Conner would be more than willing to finish his UFC obligations if he is making mid to high 8 figures each fight. Conner's contract has him at $3 million a fight, however he has always successfully negotiated to earn more prior to accepting his last 3 fights.

Also Dana White is always full of ****..ie when Jon Jones comes back he will not headline an event..women will never fight in the ufc...UFC is not for sale...Lesnar isnt fighting at UFC 200..GSP doesnt want to fight..
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,613

Post#398 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:53 pm

UFC legend and Hall of Famer Matt Hughes in stable condition after his vehicle HIT A TRAIN? WTF? Could this be a suicide attempt? No details yet.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#399 » by j4remi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:49 pm

Bellator on PPV this weekend with Fedor (was damn near the consensus GOAT as Silva and GSP were making their cases and taking over the convo), Chael finally fighting Wandy (world's most awkward grudge match), two title fights and arguably the biggest prospect in MMA history. Got a preview up, Aaron Pico is so hyped that he's 0-0 debuting on a PPV against an opponent with 10 career bouts. I'm psyched to see how he looks.

https://fteswl.com/2017/06/22/bellator-180-preview/
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#400 » by j4remi » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:55 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:UFC legend and Hall of Famer Matt Hughes in stable condition after his vehicle HIT A TRAIN? WTF? Could this be a suicide attempt? No details yet.

I haven't heard much, but based on the reaction and that Hughes was kicking around a comeback to fight other vets; I don't think suicide has been mentioned as the reasoning. Dude is definitely in my prayers along with the family of Tim Hague. The commission that allowed Hague to box after KO's so recent should be shut down and replaced completely. Just awful.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Knicks