What grade do you give the Rockets for their Chris Paul trade?

RealGM Polls
Veteran
And1: 10

What grade do you give the Rockets for their Chris Paul trade? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:38 pm

1. A
2. B
3. C
4. D
5. F
Knickstape7
Freshman
And1: 8

Re: What grade do you give the Rockets for their Chris Paul trade? 

Post#2 » by Knickstape7 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:04 pm

horrible trade for the rockets why would you give up so many touches from harden after a great year he had?? waste of a move they should of went hard after deandre, harden needs teammates that are great off ball not great on ball
alienpick
Starter
And1: 614

Post#3 » by alienpick » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:04 am

Knickstape7 wrote:horrible trade for the rockets why would you give up so many touches from harden after a great year he had?? waste of a move they should of went hard after deandre, harden needs teammates that are great off ball not great on ball

D'Antoni system
Camping Fan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#4 » by Camping Fan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:01 am

No choice really - Chris Paul was going to get out of Dodge and agreed to opt in only for a trade which was generous of him
Lakers 2020
Alienware
Sixth Man
And1: 505

Post#5 » by Alienware » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:01 am

Gave B because still not sure about the chemistry, but overall it was a great operation by the Rockets and Morey.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#6 » by BallerTalk » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:21 pm

The inescapable bottom line is the Houston Rockets acquired one of the best point guards in NBA history in exchange for a package where the best player they sent back was Pat Beverley. That alone earns them an A for this deal.

Then consider:
1) Their whole package contained only 2 rotation players (Beverley who is replaced by Paul and Lou Williams who was a luxury redundant to Eric Gordon) who likely who have had to be moved anyway to free up cap space to sign Paul.
2) They get Paul at a cheaper price by opting in while also waiving most of his trade bonus.
3) They activate 2 salary cap exceptions (mid-level and bi-annual) to use during free agency.
4) And they accumulate $11 million in non-guaranteed trade assets to use in another deal.

It's hard not to be totally impressed by the job Morey and the Rockets did here.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
Vince604
Junior
And1: 359

Post#7 » by Vince604 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:21 am

B for effort
My all-time starting five: Hakeem Olajuwan, Michael Jordan, and three 3nD role players.

I follow the NBA, not just one team.

Vancouver Crows NBA expansion team
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 140

Post#8 » by haste10176 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:04 am

Knickstape7 wrote:horrible trade for the rockets why would you give up so many touches from harden after a great year he had?? waste of a move they should of went hard after deandre, harden needs teammates that are great off ball not great on ball

Wait hang on the whole system is built on shooters are your suggesting to bring in Deandre?? banghead...

Secondly Harden can not do it on his own he had the most turn over in history ever.. He needs help all players do.. Harden will adjust unlike russ who knows only one way..
nicholas88
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#9 » by nicholas88 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:27 am

D'Antoni-has an incredibly entertaining offensive system. Evidence by the first year of James Harden & Eric Gordon running the system; one of the most prolific offenses in NBA history. Now add Chris Paul into the mix, and you have a championship team that will contented with Golden State. As long as, . . James Harden can prove he is a true champion, by playing on both sides of the court. .

Remember, the PG position is the most important position in D'Antoni's 7 seconds or less offenses by a hundredfold. And, James Harden is not a true PG. But a stellar SG. Now, add-in CP3 and you have possible the best small-ball lineup that D'Antoni has ever had.
Camping Fan
Senior

Post#10 » by Camping Fan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:58 pm

I wouldn't call it a horrible trade, but it's not as great as it looks either. The trade enables the Rockets to play in the playoffs and make a run at the Warriors for two to three years
Lakers 2020
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#11 » by jason bourne » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:28 pm

This is a great trade for the Rockets as they have the second best backcourt in the WC behind Curry and Klay now.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
IAMZOOTED
Pro Prospect
And1: 99

Post#12 » by IAMZOOTED » Sun Jul 2, 2017 1:42 am

lol
dan-man wrote:These guys are EASILY the second best team in the NBA. Time to figure out how to keep all these awful Eastern Conference teams out of the playoffs.

^ After the Timberwolves signed Jamal Crawford.
Tussin33
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#13 » by Tussin33 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 5:49 am

I agree that he is probably a bad fit. Nobody realizes James Harden lead the league in assist last year. Yes that's primarily credited to Dantoni but both players are ball dominant. I still give the Rockets an A because Chris Paul is an upgrade over anybody they were going to start next to harden. They also gave up pretty much nothing. A 6th man, an average pg and then a hoard of scrubs and a 1st round pick next year (late 20's) so why not get him? This is a trade you have your fingers crossed trying to pull off in 2k.
Tussin33
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#14 » by Tussin33 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 5:50 am

Camping Fan wrote:

I wouldn't call it a horrible trade, but it's not as great as it looks either. The trade enables the Rockets to play in the playoffs and make a run at the Warriors for two to three years

They're a player away from making any type of run at Golden State.
Knickstape7
Freshman
And1: 8

Post#15 » by Knickstape7 » Sun Jul 2, 2017 12:59 pm

they were better before honestly lol patrick is the best guard defender in the league in my opinion and hes a great shooter and knows his role and when you need scoring lou williams is one of the most underrated guard scorers in the league cp3 will think hes the guy now when hes simply not as good as harden and its not a debate now
Tussin33 wrote:

I agree that he is probably a bad fit. Nobody realizes James Harden lead the league in assist last year. Yes that's primarily credited to Dantoni but both players are ball dominant. I still give the Rockets an A because Chris Paul is an upgrade over anybody they were going to start next to harden. They also gave up pretty much nothing. A 6th man, an average pg and then a hoard of scrubs and a 1st round pick next year (late 20's) so why not get him? This is a trade you have your fingers crossed trying to pull off in 2k.
Camping Fan
Senior

Post#16 » by Camping Fan » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:26 am

Tussin33 wrote:
Camping Fan wrote:

They're a player away from making any type of run at Golden State.

When I said it's not not as good of a trade either - I was talking about for the Clippers, but they had a gun to their head. For the Rockets, I think it's a one year deal for 24 million. At the end of the year -both get to re-evaluate and yes - for the Rockets it put them one player way

One word of caution for Houston fans - a lot of teams over the years were one player away from a title run and never got that one player. That final player happens to only one team per year - the other 29 teams are screwed
Lakers 2020
Camping Fan
Senior

Post#17 » by Camping Fan » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:29 am

I gave this an A grade for the Rockets by the way - I don't see how the Rockets had anything to lose with this gamble
Lakers 2020

Return to Polls Discussion