ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1381 » by reub » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:35 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:Medical staff probably has to be one of the worst staffs in all of sports right now. To many guys getting fluke injuries, recovery times seem to be multiplied. Just let the purge happen...

Granderson is helping us right now, he's hitting HR's left and right.
Bruce should be able to land us a solid prospect.
Duda/Walker/Cabrera I'd take a marginal prospect.

If your not on the books for next year, feel free to be traded.

Yeah, Granderson is picking it up but to what end? If he's hot maybe a team in contention will want him as a fourth OF. Near the end of July is when teams start getting desperate. Maybe we can capitalize on that? I don't see any reason in keeping any of those players. Let's finally see what Branden Nimmo can do in extended playing time.

Is there a Frank Met-alina that we can trade for?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,169

Post#1382 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:47 am

ClydeRules wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:Medical staff probably has to be one of the worst staffs in all of sports right now. To many guys getting fluke injuries, recovery times seem to be multiplied. Just let the purge happen...

Granderson is helping us right now, he's hitting HR's left and right.
Bruce should be able to land us a solid prospect.
Duda/Walker/Cabrera I'd take a marginal prospect.

If your not on the books for next year, feel free to be traded.

Yeah, Granderson is picking it up but to what end? If he's hot maybe a team in contention will want him as a fourth OF. Near the end of July is when teams start getting desperate. Maybe we can capitalize on that? I don't see any reason in keeping any of those players. Let's finally see what Branden Nimmo can do in extended playing time.

Is there a Frank Met-alina that we can trade for?

I don't think we get much back ... maybe for Walker and/or Bruce. Oh and Reed. I guess it all comes down to what Sandy thinks he can get back for these guys and what's out there for us re free agents this off season.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1383 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:47 am

This explains a lot. But who recruited Barwis?

http://nypost.com/2017/06/27/ron-darling-rips-training-staff-as-latest-key-met-goes-down/

Ron Darling rips Mets’ muscle-head trainers as a ‘joke’
By Hannah Withiam June 27, 2017 | 10:37pm

Not even halfway into the Mets season, Ron Darling has seen enough destruction.

The former Met and current SNY color analyst tore into the team’s current approach to training its players after watching Robert Gsellman become the latest casualty in an injury-plagued season. The Mets have been playing catch-up all season with each star player that hits the disabled list, and Darling suggested on live television he’s found the reason why the injuries keep piling up.

“[These] trainers, get them in a room with some of the old trainers and people that took care of baseball players and how to keep them healthy,” Darling said in the SNY booth with Gary Cohen during the Mets’ 6-3 loss to the Marlins in Miami. “And get them in a room and try to tap into their knowledge on how you train baseball players — not weightlifters, not six-pack wearers — baseball players.

“They’re doing a disservice to their million-dollar athletes that they’re paying. It’s a joke to watch this happen each and every night.”

Darling’s shots appear to be directed at the Mets’ three-year-old training regimen led by strength and conditioning coach Mike Barwis, who previously worked for West Virginia’s and Michigan’s football teams. The organization hired Barwis after the 2014 season and paved the way for his high-intensity, muscle-building workouts.

Entering the season, many of the Mets high-profile players raved about their newfound strength, as detailed in a May ESPN report. A Men’s Fitness cover story in February featured a bulked-up Noah Syndergaard and boasted how the flamethrower had added 17 pounds of muscle in the offseason. ESPN offered a glimpse into Yoenis Cespedes’ weight-room routine in March, showing him lifting 990 bounds with a band while Barwis shouted encouragements.

Now, Syndergaard is on the disabled list with a partially torn lat muscle and still a month away from picking up a baseball. Cespedes spent time of his own on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring that still seems to flare up on occasion.

Gsellman’s early exit — and a likely looming disabled-list stint — adds another layer to what has become the running joke of the Mets in 2017. Ambitious preseason rhetoric, that included World Series expectations, has descended into a a 34-41 record and talk of a firesale at the trade deadline.

Add those three to the growing list of players sidelined at some point this season — Matt Harvey, Zack Wheeler, Neil Walker, Asdrubal Cabrera, Steven Matz, Seth Lugo — and you have Darling echoing almost every Mets fan’s frustration.

Adding to the intrigue, SNY disseminated Darling’s blistering critique of a fellow Mets employee on the network’s Twitter account.
Battery
Analyst
And1: 158

Post#1384 » by Battery » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:35 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:This explains a lot. But who recruited Barwis?

http://nypost.com/2017/06/27/ron-darling-rips-training-staff-as-latest-key-met-goes-down/

The former Met and current SNY color analyst tore into the team’s current approach to training its players after watching Robert Gsellman become the latest casualty in an injury-plagued season. The Mets have been playing catch-up all season with each star player that hits the disabled list, and Darling suggested on live television he’s found the reason why the injuries keep piling up.

“[These] trainers, get them in a room with some of the old trainers and people that took care of baseball players and how to keep them healthy,” Darling said in the SNY booth with Gary Cohen during the Mets’ 6-3 loss to the Marlins in Miami. “And get them in a room and try to tap into their knowledge on how you train baseball players — not weightlifters, not six-pack wearers — baseball players.

“They’re doing a disservice to their million-dollar athletes that they’re paying. It’s a joke to watch this happen each and every night.”

Darling’s shots appear to be directed at the Mets’ three-year-old training regimen led by strength and conditioning coach Mike Barwis, who previously worked for West Virginia’s and Michigan’s football teams. The organization hired Barwis after the 2014 season and paved the way for his high-intensity, muscle-building workouts.

Entering the season, many of the Mets high-profile players raved about their newfound strength, as detailed in a May ESPN report. A Men’s Fitness cover story in February featured a bulked-up Noah Syndergaard and boasted how the flamethrower had added 17 pounds of muscle in the offseason. ESPN offered a glimpse into Yoenis Cespedes’ weight-room routine in March, showing him lifting 990 bounds with a band while Barwis shouted encouragements.

Now, Syndergaard is on the disabled list with a partially torn lat muscle and still a month away from picking up a baseball. Cespedes spent time of his own on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring that still seems to flare up on occasion.

Gsellman’s early exit — and a likely looming disabled-list stint — adds another layer to what has become the running joke of the Mets in 2017. Ambitious preseason rhetoric, that included World Series expectations, has descended into a a 34-41 record and talk of a firesale at the trade deadline.

Add those three to the growing list of players sidelined at some point this season — Matt Harvey, Zack Wheeler, Neil Walker, Asdrubal Cabrera, Steven Matz, Seth Lugo — and you have Darling echoing almost every Mets fan’s frustration.

Adding to the intrigue, SNY disseminated Darling’s blistering critique of a fellow Mets employee on the network’s Twitter account.

Wow who the heck thought it was a good idea to hire a strength and conditioning coach who comes from a football background??? Baseball players need flexibility and wiry bodies, not bulk that puts a strain on ligaments and tendons. I was a very good baseball player in my younger days and heavy weight training was unheard of then. I had a lean wiry body, not muscular at all and I used to hit bombs. More stretching, running and stretching and stretching and stretching. Like what Ichiro does.

Sandy needs to go. I hate his home run philosphy. I want pitching, speed, defense, and more hit and run plays.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1385 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:55 am

Battery wrote:

Wow who the heck thought it was a good idea to hire a strength and conditioning coach who comes from a football background??? Baseball players need flexibility and wiry bodies, not bulk that puts a strain on ligaments and tendons. I was a very good baseball player in my younger days and heavy weight training was unheard of then. I had a lean wiry body, not muscular at all and I used to hit bombs. More stretching, running and stretching and stretching and stretching. Like what Ichiro does.

Sandy needs to go. I hate his home run philosphy. I want pitching, speed, defense, and more hit and run plays.

Probably Jeffy. Problem is that if Sandy goes, then the Wilpons will hire some flunky "yes" man who Jeff will run over. Jeff is the Mets version of Dolan. In each case we need a strong competent GM to keep them away from the team.

But I agree, I wouldn't mind a change from Sandy.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Battery
Analyst

Post#1386 » by Battery » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:34 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:

Probably Jeffy. Problem is that if Sandy goes, then the Wilpons will hire some flunky "yes" man who Jeff will run over. Jeff is the Mets version of Dolan. In each case we need a strong competent GM to keep them away from the team.

Sandy has done such a poor job with the farm system, something that I value the most. He lucked into Cespedes and he has a good young pitching staff backed by the worst defensive team the Mets have ever fielded. d'Arnaud is a joke defensively.

I'm also still butthurt over the way he treated Backman who I really like. I don't really care either way about yes-man Terry but I always wanted Wally to be the manager.

I completely agree with you about Jeffy, although nobody can top Dolan for incompetence.
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#1387 » by treiz » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:37 am

Isn't this supposed to be the last year of Collins' contract?

If there's any consolation, Grandy and Cabby are really tearing it up right now, let's hope someone trades for them while their value is still high.
prolific96
Junior
And1: 118

Post#1388 » by prolific96 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:24 pm

treiz wrote:Isn't this supposed to be the last year of Collins' contract?

If there's any consolation, Grandy and Cabby are really tearing it up right now, let's hope someone trades for them while their value is still high.

Yes and hopefully yes. Hard to imagine Terry is the longest tenured manager in Mets history.
prolific96
Junior

Post#1389 » by prolific96 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:

Sandy has done such a poor job with the farm system, something that I value the most. He lucked into Cespedes and he has a good young pitching staff backed by the worst defensive team the Mets have ever fielded. d'Arnaud is a joke defensively.

I'm also still butthurt over the way he treated Backman who I really like. I don't really care either way about yes-man Terry but I always wanted Wally to be the manager.

I completely agree with you about Jeffy, although nobody can top Dolan for incompetence.

The minors is devoid of quality position players. Its funny how Sandy values homers and obp yet we lack both in the minors. I still think a lot of it falls on the Coupons. The Mets have historically been quiet on the international scene and overall reluctant to pay over slot in the draft.

But like you I really enjoy the intricacies of the national league game and wouldn't mind a change in philosophy.
Battery
Analyst

Post#1390 » by Battery » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:32 pm

prolific96 wrote:
Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

The minors is devoid of quality position players. Its funny how Sandy values homers and obp yet we lack both in the minors. I still think a lot of it falls on the Coupons. The Mets have historically been quiet on the international scene and overall reluctant to pay over slot in the draft.

But like you I really enjoy the intricacies of the national league game and wouldn't mind a change in philosophy.

It's not like we hate home runs, but it seems that Sandy's entire philosophy revolves around it. I like teams to be well-rounded. If I was the GM every position player would have to be good in the field. It is a HUGE part of the game, one that has been overlooked by Sandy. What good is a home run when your team gives it right back because your fielding is atrocious??

He gives 17 million to Neil Walker who everyone knew was going to get hurt. That money could have been spent on the international market. His bullpen choices are terrible and it seems like everyone we bring up has mediocre stuff.

Guess I'm just tired of watching the all or nothing approach. If we liked home run ball then we would have been Yankees fans. I never praise the Yankees for anything, but one thing I do admire which Cashman did last year was focus on the bullpen when he realized his starters were not going to be good. Sandy is so damn predictable with everything he does. Cespedes really saved his butt and as you know, he was Sandy's last choice.

There's so much to discuss with the Mets because every part of the organization has failed this season.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1391 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:17 pm

Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:

The Yankees need a 1B desperately. How about Duda for Romine and minor league pitcher?
Battery
Analyst

Post#1392 » by Battery » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:27 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

The Yankees need a 1B desperately. How about Duda for Romine and minor league pitcher?

I don't know because I haven't followed Romine much at all. You probably know more about him than I do. But I would dump Duda for a bag of stale Reggie bars if it meant we have a promising young first base prospect in the minors to bring right up. Oh right, we do. Get rid of d'Arnaud too.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1393 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:49 pm

Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:

I don't know because I haven't followed Romine much at all. You probably know more about him than I do. But I would dump Duda for a bag of stale Reggie bars if it meant we have a promising young first base prospect in the minors to bring right up. Oh right, we do. Get rid of d'Arnaud too.

Romine's a solid defensive catcher who's hit better than was predicted as I understand. Have to admit I haven't watched much of him.

reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1394 » by reub » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:00 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Romine's a solid defensive catcher who's hit better than was predicted as I understand. Have to admit I haven't watched much of him.

Girardi breeds good young catchers, I would do that deal.
Battery
Analyst

Post#1395 » by Battery » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:09 pm

ClydeRules wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:

Good point. Make the deal. I want my catcher to be defense first, so it makes no difference to me how he hits. The offense really isn't the problem, it's pitching and defense right now along with injuries of course. Duda could check swing home runs in that little park in the Bronx. What a complete joke Yankee Stadium is.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,596

Post#1396 » by Stannis » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:27 am

Miguel Montero was let go by the Cubs. A little risky, but would you give him a go?
Free Palestine
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#1397 » by treiz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:41 am

^Not sure, because right now I think we're gearing up to be a selling team. So unless we can trade him before the deadline (I'm not too sure about this) then quite frankly just roll with d'Arnaud and hope he hits a hot streak and somebody decides they need him.

If it is possible to trade him then yeah sign him up.
prolific96
Junior

Post#1398 » by prolific96 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:41 pm

Stannis wrote:Miguel Montero was let go by the Cubs. A little risky, but would you give him a go?

Nope. Guy was like 1 for 36 at throwing out base stealers. Guys been a back up the last couple years and he adds little to the mets. Not to mention his bitchassness for calling out his teammate.

Howard Cosell
Rookie
And1: 263

Post#1399 » by Howard Cosell » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:43 pm

Knicks finally getting Rubio?

Read on Twitter
/photo/1
prolific96
Junior

Post#1400 » by prolific96 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:11 pm

Battery wrote:
ClydeRules wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Good point. Make the deal. I want my catcher to be defense first, so it makes no difference to me how he hits. The offense really isn't the problem, it's pitching and defense right now along with injuries of course. Duda could check swing home runs in that little park in the Bronx. What a complete joke Yankee Stadium is.

Romine is going to be 29 in Nov. Rene Rivera is better than him. I'd rather get a prospect for Duda.

Return to New York Knicks