Is the brutha Kaepernick being blackballed?

Moderator: bwgood77

Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Re: Is the brutha Kaepernick being blackballed? 

Post#41 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:09 pm

Mr. E wrote:
blvck wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:
Seriously Bro...

Punctuation is your friend.

IM NOT HERE TO PUNCTUATE ANYTHING IM JUST TYPIN MY OPINION ONE THING I NOTICE ON THIS BOARD IS PPL COMPLAIN ABT CAPS PERIODS COMMAS QUESTION MARKS RUN ON SENTENCES TRUST I COULD TYPE IN PROPER FORM BUT ITS NOT NEEDED IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT READ IT LOL

Don't be a jackass.

When you signed up for this site you agreed to the rules and regulations of the place.

viewtopic.php?f=191&t=1267696

10. Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing".

That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons, large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts. Users consistently abusing this will be warned.

He's no Ernie... gotta say.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#42 » by FNQ » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:31 pm

He'd be on a team if there was no controversy, but thats not being blackballed. That's the risk you run when you take a stand and you are a marginal talent, potential or not. If Kaep was a + starting QB, he'd have a contract and a team would assume the PR risk*

*the fact that its a risk at all is just baffling to me, but a spade's a spade.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,970

Post#43 » by Otis Driftwood » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:30 pm

FNQ wrote:He'd be on a team if there was no controversy, but thats not being blackballed. That's the risk you run when you take a stand and you are a marginal talent, potential or not. If Kaep was a + starting QB, he'd have a contract and a team would assume the PR risk*

#Winner
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#44 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Jul 4, 2017 1:43 am

I personally believe he is being blackball but the rich and powerful that run the NFL, but Otis brings up a hell of a point. He wants started money and shouldn't command that kind of money. So I think its a bit of both.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#45 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Kap does not promise Seattle ownership to stand. Then gets dropped. Simple, he is blackballed.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#46 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:17 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Kap does not promise Seattle ownership to stand. Then gets dropped. Simple, he is blackballed.

We dont know that Paul Allen (owner) actually has had any say. He typically doesnt speak on these things. Do owners not want him in the league? That's a fair argument. But, CK is also suing the league as we speak. It's difficult to expect one to hire him, when he's taken them to court.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#47 » by LAKESHOW » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:57 pm

True. Go Hawks!!
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#48 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:04 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:True. Go Hawks!!

:beer:
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#49 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:23 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Kap does not promise Seattle ownership to stand. Then gets dropped. Simple, he is blackballed.

I'm not saying he isn't getting blackballed. But, he does not promise to stand and gets dropped.... that no being blackballed. If hypothetically I have been fired for wearing a Make America Great Again hat or a Hillary hat, and I go interview for another job and they ask me if I am going to wear the hat. They say we don't want you to. I say yes I am still going to wear the hat. What are my odds of getting the job? The answer is zero. They aren't telling him he can't protest and fight for his worthy cause on his own time. They are asking him not to do it on company time. There is a big difference.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#50 » by Wo1verine » Wed May 2, 2018 3:59 pm

FNQ wrote:He'd be on a team if there was no controversy, but thats not being blackballed. That's the risk you run when you take a stand and you are a marginal talent, potential or not. If Kaep was a + starting QB, he'd have a contract and a team would assume the PR risk*

Same deal with Reid.. Nobody wants the distractions
BrunoSkull
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by FNQ » Wed May 2, 2018 4:10 pm

Wo1verine wrote:

Reid is different in that he's a starter level player who's ascending (just had his best year), Kap was a backup level player who's descending.

I dont necessarily blame the owners. I blame the overreacting people. Teams never burn jerseys when a guy who has assaulted women is signed. But kneeling for an anthem to highlight injustice? Protests.

People's priorities are :censored: up. I'm not even happy with the Raiders for bringing back Tom Cable (DV). But when Gruden mentioned that Kap should be on a team, a ton of Raiders fans were pissed. Maybe a handful were pissed that Cable was brought back, and that was all performance based.

This is why when hardcore sports fans present a political opinion, I'm inclined to tune out. People may not agree with Kap but he's spent the past 2 years doing what everyone criticized him to do: make an impact. Reid has done a ton for the Bay Area community as well.. but those things don't matter. Taking a strong stand for your beliefs - ones that literally dont hurt anyone except in their precious feels - is a worse thing in the NFL than hitting women. And the owners, they are just responding to the market. So I blame the market.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#52 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 3, 2018 7:01 pm

FNQ wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:

Reid is different in that he's a starter level player who's ascending (just had his best year), Kap was a backup level player who's descending.

I dont necessarily blame the owners. I blame the overreacting people. Teams never burn jerseys when a guy who has assaulted women is signed. But kneeling for an anthem to highlight injustice? Protests.

People's priorities are :censored: up. I'm not even happy with the Raiders for bringing back Tom Cable (DV). But when Gruden mentioned that Kap should be on a team, a ton of Raiders fans were pissed. Maybe a handful were pissed that Cable was brought back, and that was all performance based.

This is why when hardcore sports fans present a political opinion, I'm inclined to tune out. People may not agree with Kap but he's spent the past 2 years doing what everyone criticized him to do: make an impact. Reid has done a ton for the Bay Area community as well.. but those things don't matter. Taking a strong stand for your beliefs - ones that literally dont hurt anyone except in their precious feels - is a worse thing in the NFL than hitting women. And the owners, they are just responding to the market. So I blame the market.

Id say the part I bolded is pretty inaccurate. He seemed to make the least impact I've seen from his this past season. And if you trust pro-football-reference.com, his AV approximate value was at an all time low last season.

Hes also had a major problem with concussions so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Hes one of my favorite players, I own the kids jersey.. I was sad to see him go because my like for the guy, not really because what he brought to the field.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by FNQ » Thu May 3, 2018 8:36 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
Id say the part I bolded is pretty inaccurate. He seemed to make the least impact I've seen from his this past season. And if you trust pro-football-reference.com, his AV approximate value was at an all time low last season.

Hes also had a major problem with concussions so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Hes one of my favorite players, I own the kids jersey.. I was sad to see him go because my like for the guy, not really because what he brought to the field.

Im not familiar with PFR's AV or how its tabbed, when it comes to football impact #s PFF is always my go to. He had a good season there (in between the borderline to average starter level) and is well ahead of players who have signed ahead of him for decent money, including the Raiders' own Marcus Gilchrist.

The concussions thing is a legitimate concern once he signs with a team, but teams still tend to meet with starting caliber safeties to gauge their health. Reid has had one meeting, with the Bengals, who point blank asked him if he was going to kneel for the anthem. I dont think the answer was officially released, but let's face it - the Bengals did the dirty work for the NFL, Reid didn't explicitly say he wasn't going to kneel anymore, and there's been no interest since.

Here's where I start raising an eyebrow - while he hasn't kneeled for the anthem, Chris Long absolutely showed his support for Malcolm Jenkins, who was throwing up a fist during the anthem. Which apparently is more acceptable than taking a knee (unless you ask actual former serviceman / NFL player Nate Boyer).. while Jenkins, Reid, and Kap have faced different types of backlash, Chris Long is coming out relatively unscathed.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#54 » by LightTheBeam » Thu May 3, 2018 9:25 pm

FNQ wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Im not familiar with PFR's AV or how its tabbed, when it comes to football impact #s PFF is always my go to. He had a good season there (in between the borderline to average starter level) and is well ahead of players who have signed ahead of him for decent money, including the Raiders' own Marcus Gilchrist.

The concussions thing is a legitimate concern once he signs with a team, but teams still tend to meet with starting caliber safeties to gauge their health. Reid has had one meeting, with the Bengals, who point blank asked him if he was going to kneel for the anthem. I dont think the answer was officially released, but let's face it - the Bengals did the dirty work for the NFL, Reid didn't explicitly say he wasn't going to kneel anymore, and there's been no interest since.

Here's where I start raising an eyebrow - while he hasn't kneeled for the anthem, Chris Long absolutely showed his support for Malcolm Jenkins, who was throwing up a fist during the anthem. Which apparently is more acceptable than taking a knee (unless you ask actual former serviceman / NFL player Nate Boyer).. while Jenkins, Reid, and Kap have faced different types of backlash, Chris Long is coming out relatively unscathed.

Yeah, I mean I'm not very surprised that teams have decided to go this route.

The NFL has always been a league where distractions always seem to play a major part in teams decisions. Most of the time we see it in the form of a player who cant stay out of trouble or a bad locker room guy with serious talent being cut. I like Eric Reid and like you said he probably is an average NFL starting safety, the question becomes is the headache the media will give you worth the value he brings to the field?

This to me this is as you said, a fan problem more than an owners problem. I saw many people last year either talk bad about the NFL, or completely stop watching all together. IIRC the ratings spoke to that as did sponsors abandoning ship. As a team you know that the media is going to be watching Reids every move, creates a true locker room distraction. Even though I agree it shouldn't.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#55 » by Cactus Jack » Thu May 10, 2018 10:51 pm

Read on Twitter

He's pissing away his only shot at a job. Well done, Colin! :lol:
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,535

Post#56 » by righterwriter » Fri May 11, 2018 11:01 am

Waiting for the next release of a video clip of CK training on the football field. Funny that we didn't see one for ages until a few days before he he was ready to give a deposition against the NFL, showing that "he just wants to play football and they aren't letting him." Nice to have a PR team working with your lawyer to try to further your case.

If he really wanted to play in the NFL, he wouldn't have publicly blasted the one team offering him a tryout. The guy is just in it now for the attention and the hope he gets a payout from his lawsuit.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by FNQ » Fri May 11, 2018 2:46 pm

righterwriter wrote:Waiting for the next release of a video clip of CK training on the football field. Funny that we didn't see one for ages until a few days before he he was ready to give a deposition against the NFL, showing that "he just wants to play football and they aren't letting him." Nice to have a PR team working with your lawyer to try to further your case.

If he really wanted to play in the NFL, he wouldn't have publicly blasted the one team offering him a tryout. The guy is just in it now for the attention and the hope he gets a payout from his lawsuit.

Definitely in it for the attention, or the social causes he supports. Its definitely one of the two.

Its a weird position. If he doesnt do anything, the narrative is "He doesnt practice what he preaches, he's not trying to help with HIS money". And if he does do something, its "He doesnt care about football, he did this to save his career"

A better man than most, and he's vilified constantly. What a time to be alive
righterwriter
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by righterwriter » Fri May 11, 2018 3:12 pm

FNQ wrote:
righterwriter wrote:Waiting for the next release of a video clip of CK training on the football field. Funny that we didn't see one for ages until a few days before he he was ready to give a deposition against the NFL, showing that "he just wants to play football and they aren't letting him." Nice to have a PR team working with your lawyer to try to further your case.

Definitely in it for the attention, or the social causes he supports. Its definitely one of the two.

Its a weird position. If he doesnt do anything, the narrative is "He doesnt practice what he preaches, he's not trying to help with HIS money". And if he does do something, its "He doesnt care about football, he did this to save his career"

Yeah, except the $1M he pledged happened only AFTER people called him out for never working for and donating to social causes in the past. I guarantee that money went towards tax writeoffs. And when the charities you give the money to are all there to teach children to be anti-police, I tend to not think he's doing it for positive reasons.

Overall, when you go from being a white raised academic all-American from Turlock (black population 0.1%), to NFL party boy, to suddenly being Mr. Black power, within a five year period, it strikes me as someone who is very confused and a bit unstable. His political points when he actually spoke never made sense and you won't EVER hear him talk now despite his enormous platform.

So yeah, seriously dubious character in my book. I bet you within a few years the dude starts to deteriorate psychologically.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by FNQ » Fri May 11, 2018 3:25 pm

righterwriter wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Yeah, except the $1M he pledged happened only AFTER people called him out for never working for and donating to social causes in the past. I guarantee that money went towards tax writeoffs. And when the charities you give the money to are all there to teach children to be anti-police, I tend to not think he's doing it for positive reasons.

Overall, when you go from being a white raised academic all-American from Turlock (black population 0.1%), to NFL party boy, to suddenly being Mr. Black power, within a five year period, it strikes me as someone who is very confused and a bit unstable. His political points when he actually spoke never made sense and you won't EVER hear him talk now despite his enormous platform.

So yeah, seriously dubious character in my book. I bet you within a few years the dude starts to deteriorate psychologically.

Kap did plenty of charity events, especially in the underprivliged parts of SF, long before this became an issue.

The rest is exactly what i mean - where he was raised and the demographic of that place is relevant to his continued charitable events, how? NFL party boy? Based off of what?

Yes, Kaep accelerated his efforts when he started getting more attention. Why? Because his groups started getting massive influxes of donations. He pledged the one million after he realized he could use the attention for good. The idea that he didnt do the charity thing before is so inaccurate, its just baffling. I've literally stood on the same stage as him (and Tyrod Taylor, for whatever thats worth) a year before as he and a few lesser players raised almost half a million for kids with heart disease and families that dont have the means to pay for it. He did that fundraiser 2 years in a row, being the obvious star name. He worked with our partners too via the Red Cross. He speaks constantly at his events, but he's not (nor has he ever) been the one calling the press to outline what he's doing. He's just doing it.

So basically I'm saying: stop spreading incorrect rhetoric. This is all easily verifiable. I have no idea what would possess people to demonize someone who's doing so much good. It's borderline sickening.
righterwriter
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by righterwriter » Fri May 11, 2018 3:49 pm

FNQ wrote:
righterwriter wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Kap did plenty of charity events, especially in the underprivliged parts of SF, long before this became an issue.

The rest is exactly what i mean - where he was raised and the demographic of that place is relevant to his continued charitable events, how? NFL party boy? Based off of what?

Yes, Kaep accelerated his efforts when he started getting more attention. Why? Because his groups started getting massive influxes of donations. He pledged the one million after he realized he could use the attention for good. The idea that he didnt do the charity thing before is so inaccurate, its just baffling. I've literally stood on the same stage as him (and Tyrod Taylor, for whatever thats worth) a year before as he and a few lesser players raised almost half a million for kids with heart disease and families that dont have the means to pay for it. He did that fundraiser 2 years in a row, being the obvious star name. He worked with our partners too via the Red Cross. He speaks constantly at his events, but he's not (nor has he ever) been the one calling the press to outline what he's doing. He's just doing it.

So basically I'm saying: stop spreading incorrect rhetoric. This is all easily verifiable. I have no idea what would possess people to demonize someone who's doing so much good. It's borderline sickening.

You are confusing participating in a weekend long charity golf tournament once a year with becoming a militant anti-police black power representative, all within a very short span of time.

Does he still work with the Camp Taylor charity, btw? Or are kids with heart disease and the people from the charity he spent four years cooperating with not really that important compared to his other causes now? If indeed he's not fundraising for them, does that mean anything to you?

BTW, the part of his upbringing is relevant in that anyone who goes from someone who was probably whiter than most white people are in terms of upbringing, to become a black power political activist, seemingly overnight, means the dude might well just be a bit lost. And that's relevant because that means his message--which he never really explains because he's not allowed to talk to the media (even the many, many who would gladly support his message in exchange for some interviews)-- might well be hollow, meaning that he is being propped up as something he is not.

That's my take on it, as a 49ers fan that liked him, then watched him turn into a bad QB the more famous he got, and then a rather confusing national hero representing only an image but not anything with much truth behind it.

Return to The General NFL Board